Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
So, apparently, with Blood Magic, I've managed to bind myself into another player's network, meaning that refilling my own blood orb (or filling it through the use of the blood altar) doesn't effect it, but if he uses an orb bound to me directly or puts it into the altar himself, it works, and changes the network's LP for both of us. What's going on?
You messed it up. Is it not bound to them?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
So, apparently, with Blood Magic, I've managed to bind myself into another player's network, meaning that refilling my own blood orb (or filling it through the use of the blood altar) doesn't effect it, but if he uses an orb bound to me directly or puts it into the altar himself, it works, and changes the network's LP for both of us. What's going on?
Sounds like a bug. @WayofTime ?

Shino_chan

Jul 29, 2019
Hello :)
I'm sorry if my question is silly but i couldn't find the answer anywhere else
I read a few weeks agoo the news about the removal of some old modpacks from the launcher and i wonder if this happen to a modpack i still want to play how can i start it? Simply copy the "minecraft" folder from the modpack folder to the vanilla ".minecraft"? Or is there some file that can launch the single modpack without the help of the FTB laucher?

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I read a few weeks agoo the news about the removal of some old modpacks from the launcher and i wonder if this happen to a modpack i still want to play how can i start it? Simply copy the "minecraft" folder from the modpack folder to the vanilla ".minecraft"? Or is there some file that can launch the single modpack without the help of the FTB laucher?
You should still be able to access the packs using the pack code, which I believe was shown in the same news post about their removal.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You could, or I would assume the MultiMC launcher will still be able to launch them. But obviously, backing up files is always a good idea.

However, I would advise moving on to a newer pack. Why? Because more support.
For example, if you were to ask a question on Buildcraft in 1.2.5, we would have to try and remember what BC was like back then. But also, there is SO much more in newer packs.

And if you are like "Well, what mods should I look at" this will be the only time I suggest to ANYONE to play the Direwolf20 pack, as it has a lot of mods, so you can work with old mods (buildcraft, for example) while messing with new stuff.

Shino_chan

Jul 29, 2019
I see, thanks a lot :)
I understand the support issue for old modpack but the thing is right now my Pc is dying and i would love to play modpacks like AG, crash landing and the older MF2 once i menage to get a new one and i doubt will be anytime soon :(
That's why i was asking about it
My Pc is quite old and i started those and other modpacks just a bit before it stopped to be able to support them; i will backup my saves and the packs's folders anyway to be safe

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I see, thanks a lot :)
I understand the support issue for old modpack but the thing is right now my Pc is dying and i would love to play modpacks like AG, crash landing and the older MF2 once i menage to get a new one and i doubt will be anytime soon :(
That's why i was asking about it
My Pc is quite old and i started those and other modpacks just a bit before it stopped to be able to support them; i will backup my saves and the packs's folders anyway to be safe
In addition to the new packs, the following packs are being moved off the main list to the specified pack codes to make room for the upcoming 1.7 packs.
Lapito's Galacticraft Modpack : LapitosGalacticraft
Infamy - Dynamic Warfare : Infamy
Voxel(for 1.6) : Voxel
New World Mod Pack : NewWorldModPack
RPG Immersion Pack : RPGImmersion
VoxelModPack(for 1.5) : VoxelModPack
Magic Farm(for 1.5) : MagicFarm

These two packs are broken and are just being removed.
BronyModPack
Ampz Modpack
If you have a look, the "word" after the colon should be the pack code you need to regain access to said pack.

Shino_chan

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a look, the "word" after the colon should be the pack code you need to regain access to said pack.
I didn't notice that back then when i read the news, my bad :)
Thanks to let me notice it, i guess don't need to worry if some other modpacks removed from the launcher before i can afford a new pc ^^

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to create a shutoff for my grinder but I can't find a good way of doing it.
to give some backstory, I'm playing the Direwolf20 1.7 pack and I have a blood altar with a well of suffering beneath it.

vanilla spawners are providing mobs for the ritual, but there's also some witch spawners in there and witches can often keep regenerating themselves enough to not get killed by the ritual, with the result that my world gets really bad lag from time to time because there's too many mobs at the altar.

I have a MFR grinder setup aswell to kill mobs, but the grinder is often too fast, resulting in killing too many mobs, leaving not enough mobs for the ritual to use.
I wanted to have the grinder automatically shut down when there's not enough mobs, I was using a MFR mob counter which emits a redstone signal with the strength depending on how much mobs are near the counter.

what I wanted was when the counter gives a redstone signal of 15 the grinder would turn on, but if the redstone signal is below 15, the grinder turns off.
sadly the grinder reacts to any redstone signal, so you can't just simply hook both onto eachother.

I tried using a rednet controller, but that thing is confusing as hell plus it currently seems to be bugged, whenever you break the controller you get a non-functional controller back.
I could also use computercraft, but I'm a noob at coding so I have no idea how to write the code for this.
I also tried using project red, but the space for this build is rather small, and using project red you kind of need a good amount of space
I even tried using SFM, but I can't seem to get the redstone conditions right, whenever the emitter starts emitting a signal, it doesn't want to turn off anymore.

so, anyone have a good idea on how I could solve this problem?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
what I wanted was when the counter gives a redstone signal of 15 the grinder would turn on, but if the redstone signal is below 15, the grinder turns off.
sadly the grinder reacts to any redstone signal, so you can't just simply hook both onto eachother.
Comparator?

the setup would look like this:
Code:
[Counter]---[Comparator]---[Grinder]
                 |
          [Redstone Torch]

The comparator recieves a strength 15 signal from the side, which means it will pass the signal from the counter only if it is level 15 or stronger

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to create a shutoff for my grinder but I can't find a good way of doing it.
to give some backstory, I'm playing the Direwolf20 1.7 pack and I have a blood altar with a well of suffering beneath it.

vanilla spawners are providing mobs for the ritual, but there's also some witch spawners in there and witches can often keep regenerating themselves enough to not get killed by the ritual, with the result that my world gets really bad lag from time to time because there's too many mobs at the altar.

I have a MFR grinder setup aswell to kill mobs, but the grinder is often too fast, resulting in killing too many mobs, leaving not enough mobs for the ritual to use.
I wanted to have the grinder automatically shut down when there's not enough mobs, I was using a MFR mob counter which emits a redstone signal with the strength depending on how much mobs are near the counter.

I tried using a rednet controller, but that thing is confusing as hell plus it currently seems to be bugged, whenever you break the controller you get a non-functional controller back.
I could also use computercraft, but I'm a noob at coding so I have no idea how to write the code for this.
I also tried using project red, but the space for this build is rather small, and using project red you kind of need a good amount of space
I even tried using SFM, but I can't seem to get the redstone conditions right, whenever the emitter starts emitting a signal, it doesn't want to turn off anymore.

so, anyone have a good idea on how I could solve this problem?
I think a good idea maybe to have an inventory which, when filled/emptied, will give a redstone signal of 15 (by the help of a comparator.
And then link that comparator up, however you like (redstone wire/alloy/etc.) to the grinder. And then you just need to work out how you want to have it work... SO MAYBE like so:
Room with spawners which can be deactivated by lights.
Switch for the lights affect the comparator (when lights off, comparator works, when on, it doesn't)
Then have all the mob drops being pulled into a chest via a vacuum hopper (or something)
And have that chest being emptied at a slow rate so that there will always be enough items in the chest to stop the grinder working (stop emitting a redstone signal of X - x being 15-number of blocks to the grinder (if using redstone dust)
Then when the lights get turned on, and the chest finally empties, the grinders turn on, killing all witches.
There may be a need for something to put a few items in the chest when you turn the lights off, just to turn the grinders on... unless you have them set up to a timer (so when they get activated, they only stay on for 10 seconds, and that is it until you activate them again)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
What do are you trying to achieve with this complication?
What he wants is just shutting the grinder off when number of mobs < 15.
And he said that he doesn't have much space.
He didn't say the former.
And the latter is true. But this wouldn't take up MUCH space

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
it sounded kinda unnecessarily convoluted
you were tying a knot in my brain :D
I prefer making stuff that will "always" work, but may be a little more complex, over something which is compact, complex, and may need a fix every now and again

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer making stuff that will "always" work, but may be a little more complex, over something which is compact, complex, and may need a fix every now and again
But my suggestion with Mob counter -> comparator -> grinder is not complex IMO. It's probably the simplest solution.
Of course one can make things unneccessarily complex if one wants. For instance the rail system Direwolf20 built was not at all necessary, but more fun to build than just a broing tesseract.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
But my suggestion with Mob counter -> comparator -> grinder is not complex IMO. It's probably the simplest solution.
Of course one can make things unneccessarily complex if one wants. For instance the rail system Direwolf20 built was not at all necessary, but more fun to build than just a broing tesseract.
Mob counter is not needed though...
BUT! If you were to do that, it would probably be best to have it inverted to the lights. That way when all the spawners are spawning their stuff, the mob counter isn't working away like "HOLY CRAP 16 MOBS! CODE RED! CODE RED!" and killing all the potential LP...

But actually, just thought of something for the OP... Get a few witches. Slap a name tag on them, so they don't despawn. Infinite LP, no need for grinders OR spawners

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
But actually, just thought of something for the OP... Get a few witches. Slap a name tag on them, so they don't despawn. Infinite LP, no need for grinders OR spawners
You're not the first one to think of this :D
But it kinda doesn't work with cursed earth. Cursed earth seems to kill mobs after some time, so the witches will eventually disappear

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Comparator?

the setup would look like this:
Code:
[Counter]---[Comparator]---[Grinder]
                 |
          [Redstone Torch]

The comparator recieves a strength 15 signal from the side, which means it will pass the signal from the counter only if it is level 15 or stronger

I don't know if it's Project Red of my client, but the logic gates don't seem to like the alloy cables... they're very unreliable, one time it'll activate upon a signal, and the other times it just doesn't do anything. funny thing is if I use vanilla redstone the gates actually worked, though I connect the counter onto the comparator, had a lever as a second signal of a strength of 15 and a NOT gate on the output of the comparator

this means if the counter gives a redstone signal of 15 (which happens when there's 15 mobs infront of the counter) the comparator will output a redstone signal because the second input has a strength of 15 aswell, this signal then gets reversed by the not gate, which means the grinder receives no redstone signal and is turned on. basically means if there's 15 mobs or more, the redstone signal that turns off the grinder gets disabled and the grinder turns on.

but doing this with vanilla redstone makes this whole thing even bigger, which is really not what I want

I think a good idea maybe to have an inventory which, when filled/emptied, will give a redstone signal of 15 (by the help of a comparator.
And then link that comparator up, however you like (redstone wire/alloy/etc.) to the grinder. And then you just need to work out how you want to have it work... SO MAYBE like so:
Room with spawners which can be deactivated by lights.
Switch for the lights affect the comparator (when lights off, comparator works, when on, it doesn't)
Then have all the mob drops being pulled into a chest via a vacuum hopper (or something)
And have that chest being emptied at a slow rate so that there will always be enough items in the chest to stop the grinder working (stop emitting a redstone signal of X - x being 15-number of blocks to the grinder (if using redstone dust)
Then when the lights get turned on, and the chest finally empties, the grinders turn on, killing all witches.
There may be a need for something to put a few items in the chest when you turn the lights off, just to turn the grinders on... unless you have them set up to a timer (so when they get activated, they only stay on for 10 seconds, and that is it until you activate them again)

funny thing is, I'm using cursed earth under the vanilla spawners so mobs continue spawning even when I'm not near them, but because of this the spawners just kind of keep spawning mobs even with the lights turned on.

I guess it's just time for me to finally make a permanent with reactor and turn the spawners into a basic resource income

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it's just time for me to finally make a permanent with reactor and turn the spawners into a basic resource income
Reactant Dynamo. That is all you will need...
Mob essence + gunpowder = RF.
Grinder makes Mob essence, and you will be killing creepers? GUNPOWDER!

Reactions: L0neGamer