Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
Which dimension yields more ores and other precious stuff per chunk? The twilight forest or the deep dark?
Deep Dark is MADE for ores, but obviously the darkness could kill you.
it may be more profitable to just quarry out the hills in the twilight forest.

Reactions: Shabazza

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Deep Dark is MADE for ores, but obviously the darkness could kill you.
it may be more profitable to just quarry out the hills in the twilight forest.
This. Also not to mention this takes one diamond to get to and not anywhere from 4-36 diamonds (depending on how you make your unstable ingots).
Also the TwF has a lot more good loot in it, which is nice. But is at a lower Y level which means you get the rarer ores quicker

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Question: Will removal of all blocks below surface of modded map help performance?
If i check MCedit i can see that even that i never visited underground there is a lot already generated. Not everything but like many, many small areas. In combination with shaders i guess it can help a lot not to render whole chunks including hidden underground caves. Am i wrong here?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Question: Will removal of all blocks below surface of modded map help performance?
If i check MCedit i can see that even that i never visited underground there is a lot already generated. Not everything but like many, many small areas. In combination with shaders i guess it can help a lot not to render whole chunks including hidden underground caves. Am i wrong here?
Yes. But why would you removed it?

San

Jul 29, 2019
You don't want to remove it because that would leave a large empty space. The increased surface area would require additional rendering. What you want to do is fill it with stone. Replace air water and lava blocks as well as any non-solid non-opaque modded blocks

Reactions: Padfoote

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You don't want to remove it because that would leave a large empty space. The increased surface area would require additional rendering. What you want to do is fill it with stone. Replace air water and lava blocks as well as any non-solid non-opaque modded blocks
I think when they said remove they meant replace with air.
But you don't want to do water or lava, as that would be like the nether, in a sense, and we all LOVE the FPS drop in the nether...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
But you don't want to do water or lava, as that would be like the nether, in a sense, and we all LOVE the FPS drop in the nether...

The Nether has its own problems due to a poorly written sound engine in MC, which was discovered in 1.5.2 and still has not been fixed.

Also, reread the post you quoted. You pretty much said the same things. :p

San

Jul 29, 2019
no yeah you would not want to replace it with air. that would be worse for fps performance. He would want to fill it with stone/dirt

filling with air would increase the amount of rendered geometry because only exposed surfaces are rendered. What qualifies as an exposed surface is any block face that is in contact with clear blocks (like glass) or non-solid blocks (like lava, fences, etc). Air is both non-solid and clear which makes it bad

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
no yeah you would not want to replace it with air. that would be worse for fps performance. He would want to fill it with stone/dirt

filling with air would increase the amount of rendered geometry because only exposed surfaces are rendered. What qualifies as an exposed surface is any block face that is in contact with clear blocks (like glass) or non-solid blocks (like lava, fences, etc). Air is both non-solid and clear which makes it bad
It's still better than lots of small caves and holes and stuff which probably have more surfaces exposed.

Reactions: San

San

Jul 29, 2019
The Nether has its own problems due to a poorly written sound engine in MC, which was discovered in 1.5.2 and still has not been fixed.

Also, reread the post you quoted. You pretty much said the same things. :p
Is there a patch for that? Performance mods, etc?

Tauro

Jul 29, 2019
Ender Quarry question: Is there a way to have ender quarry functioning with Speed, World Hole, and Pump upgrades? Fluid conduits don't seem to connect to it as that would solve the problem.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Ender Quarry question: Is there a way to have ender quarry functioning with Speed, World Hole, and Pump upgrades? Fluid conduits don't seem to connect to it as that would solve the problem.
Try placing a BC/OB tank next to it?