Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Why did azanor take away the ability to combine nodes? I have like 5 pure nodes outside my house with +5/+10 of a couple aspects

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Weird question but how do you guys know what to make a floor/ceiling/wall out of? Do you guys just fiddle around with colors? Is there a set rule, like "brick walls with brick ceiling always looks terrible"?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Weird question but how do you guys know what to make a floor/ceiling/wall out of? Do you guys just fiddle around with colors? Is there a set rule, like "brick walls with brick ceiling always looks terrible"?
This is not a simple question, regardless of how easy it can be to make a nice house. Aesthetically Pleasing builds are not always a easy task, even more so if you're used to making Direwolf20 style homes.

There are no rules, just our "thjizzrini"; "Foolish Concepts". Personally I use Microblocks more and more these days. Plan around the enviroment instead of changing it to suit you, maybe. A splash of color can add life to a dead room. Magical rooms should FEEL magical, so don't shy away from making fancy things that have little to no real use. A Mage Tower is a fun thing to build, but making one that stands out is not always easy.

And most of all, avoid using the same material for every home if you have other options. Exploring the Twilight Forest can sometimes yield both great blocks and amazing structure ideas.

Personally my next "home" is gonna use TF Aurora Blocks to make a castle, since I saw a pretty sweet build using them.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019

IMO it always looks best when floor wall and ceiling are different materials. I usually stick with the basics until I have an equal trade wand then I experiment with combinations. Sometimes the basics remain the best at least when you have the Chisel mod installed. Cobblestone everywhere!

You can sort by ID, which should usually result in all the items from one mod being grouped together.

Thats not what I meant. I meant preformat a storage cell to take in items from a certain mod only.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Thats not what I meant. I meant preformat a storage cell to take in items from a certain mod only.
You can do it, you'll just have to specify the items by hand; there's no "this mod only" button.

Sorting is one of the only areas where AE actually falls over somewhat; you can tell the dev is a database programmer and not a big fan of GUIs =P

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: PierceSG

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, Im actually starting to regret transfering over all of my items to a ME system. I have used it in the past but only half heartedly, using storage busses and chests. This time I went all out but half the fun of modded minecraft is finding space for all of your stuff.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
i spot chunk loaded a lot of nodes in my early thamucraft days. I lost my way points. Is there a way to find what chunks are loaded?
OPIS can tell you which chunks are being loaded
Just use the inbuild chickenchunks command /chunkloaders and you will get a popup map that shows all loaded areas with details on what methods are used to load them.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, Im actually starting to regret transfering over all of my items to a ME system. I have used it in the past but only half heartedly, using storage busses and chests. This time I went all out but half the fun of modded minecraft is finding space for all of your stuff.

Is it? I tend to just stuff all my crap in diamond chests near bedrock then expand outward as needed.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Greyscale is pretty easy. I'm not the best builder for aesthetics, but I think this looks decent.

This is the entrance hub to my base. The walls are Edged Stone with Alternate Border Stone in the corners, and Border Stone separating the walls from the ceiling and floor. The ceiling and floor are marble, the floor being a pattern with Chisel'd marble. The protruding marble on the ceiling is a Wrath Lamp with covers on it. I couldn't find a good way to light the room.

miNRh7G.png

WjJM9b1.png
BAz57VO.png

IMO it always looks best when floor wall and ceiling are different materials.
This is the most important thing.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm interesting. If I moved my mining well quarry and my base into the same dimension would that help?

On that topic, anyone got any good looking dimensions for a magical themed base? (sky color, biome types, etc)
Afaik no not really. Its all about how many new chunks you load getting to the quarry and mystcraft chunks are usually a LOT "lighter" than overworld chunks. So unless you place the quarry right on top of your base it wouldn't matter much(might make it worse).

Travelling around the overworld a lot is the fastest way to make my game "leak" memory in monster. But just moving around my newest build(a 10x10 chunks area) is enough to do it over time.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
Yesterday I found in a dungeon of Roguelike Dungeons a hoe called "Baj's last resort" with Fortune 5.

Is MFRs Disenchanter and Auto-Anvil (don't have a setup yet) able to handle it to put it on something like a pickaxe? Would it be possible to put it on a quarry plus?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Eh... There's two sides to that. I'd argue that AE is in every pack for a reason; you have FAR more items to deal with in a modded environment, and even if you can find a place to put everything without AE (possible, but gruelling) finding what you need and keeping things in any sort of order is near-impossible.

If you DO manage to keep all that organized, it suggests a sorting system of some sort, and beyond a certain scale, sorting systems become impractical from a system resource point of view, and large-scale systems greatly increase the potential of crashes and world corruption.

AE isn't perfect, but it's far and away the best solution for stability and mass storage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mattah12

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I have a question regarding automation and I thought I'd try asking here first rather than starting a new thread.

OK, so I'm attempting to automate a lacerator to slag furnace set-up but I've run into an issue. I'll describe the full set-up first.

1. I have an input barrel which the lacerator pulls from, lacerates, and then automatically dumps into a chest. From this chest I have a wooden pipe pulling the lacerated items through cobblestone pipes into the top of the slag furnace. No problems here.
  2. I have a chest which has a the same set-up for feeding the slag furnace coal into the bottom. Again, no problem.
  3. Now heres the problem. I have another wooden pipe on the side of the slag furnace to pull the smelted items out into a final output chest. However all it seems to want to do is pull out the coal and not the smelted items.
What am I doing wrong here? As far as I'm aware I'm inputing and outputing on the correct sides according to the FTB wiki. All my wooden pipes are powered by hobbyists steam engines and seem to be working correctly.

I'm heading for a few hours now but if it'll help I'll post some pics when I get home.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Question:
Which items is it exactly that reduce instability in the Infusion alter in Thaumcraft 4+?
I am guessing:
Skeleton skulls(wither skulls as well perhaps?)
Tallow candles
Crystal Clusters

Are there more? What about zombie/creeper heads?

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
Question:
Which items is it exactly that reduce instability in the Infusion alter in Thaumcraft 4+?
I am guessing:
Skeleton skulls(wither skulls as well perhaps?)
Tallow candles
Crystal Clusters

Are there more? What about zombie/creeper heads?
You'll be wanting this thread from /r/feedthebeast/

TL;DR:
Block ID 397 (all the Heads)
Candles
Clusters
Will only reduce instability if placed in radial symmetry, otherwise will increase instability.