Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
1)What is the most effective in the time to mine ores. A MFFS or a Laser drill. Don't care about the energy consumption. The MFFS i built goes through 32x70x1 area in about 30 seconds

2) I got an adjustable transformer feeding all my electric furnaces. With overclockers and them working all the time they are dying out. Right now the adjustable transformer is set to packet size of 32 eu and transfer rate of 512EU. Can someone explain what is what? Can I double the transfer rate?
On #2: how many overclockers are you using? If you've got 10 or fewer it should be able to run just fine on 512 EU/t. IIRC 11 overclockers uses just a bit more than 512EU/t and the last few overclockers needed to get it down to 1 tick/smelt have ridiculously high requirements.

I don't have any personal experience with the adjustable transformer, but if it's anything like the standard transformers, it splits its outputs. i.e. if you have 128EU/t coming in and 4 wires coming out, each will only get 32EU/t (assuming all of them are in use), but if you only have 1 wire it'll be fed 128EU/t @32EU/p. I tend to not bother messing with wiring - I just stick a few transformer upgrades in my machines and run them off my trunkline.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
1)Mffs is by far faster

@doxastic : To add to @Not_Steve' s good info, the MFR Laser is slower for 2 reasons:

1. It doesn't change the world. It basically converts energy to matter and can run forever without having to be moved or damaging your pretty landscape / tunnels / lava / etc.,.
2. It's capable of producing things an MFFS rig can not easily produce, at least not without moving the MFFS rig several times to hit different Y-heights and the Nether. If you have Nether Ores installed, MFR is capable of producing Nether Ore versions of stuff.

The MFR Laser is closer to bees, magic crops, or IC2's UU-matter than it is any other form of world-smasher like MFFS, BC Quarry, IC2 Miner, Thaumcraft Arcane Bore, etc,..

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
Does the Extra Utilities Magical Wood have any other uses besides looking good? Seems kind of expensive for just decoration.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Does the Extra Utilities Magical Wood have any other uses besides looking good? Seems kind of expensive for just decoration.
Isn't it used in some of the recipes? Or at least planned on being used? I thought they were talking about it in one of the forgecraft videos.

also form the EU changelog:
- Golden bags of holding can now be 'enchanted' with magic wood. They will remain in the player's inventory on death at the cost of their enchantment.
- Magical wood can now be used to boost enchanting tables. Each block of magical wood increases the max enchanting level by 5 levels

Reactions: kaiomann

Blastedsura

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't it used in some of the recipes? Or at least planned on being used? I thought they were talking about it in one of the forgecraft videos.

- Golden bags of holding can now be 'enchanted' with magic wood. They will remain in the player's inventory on death at the cost of their enchantment.
- Magical wood can now be used to boost enchanting tables. Each block of magical wood increases the max enchanting level by 5 levels

Also used for the new Ender quarry and for the "second tier" of the filling cab.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Are newer packs harder on PCs than older ones? When i played FTB Ultimate in 1.4.7, I would get about 25 FPS on my laptop. No 3d video card, built in video RAM, etc. I would drop to below 10 in my base full of gregtech stuff, huge AE system, etc.

Now, standing in a brand new world in 1.6 without a machine close by, I will get under 5 FPS on the same laptop. Any reason why this would be?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Are newer packs harder on PCs than older ones? When i played FTB Ultimate in 1.4.7, I would get about 25 FPS on my laptop. No 3d video card, built in video RAM, etc. I would drop to below 10 in my base full of gregtech stuff, huge AE system, etc.

Now, standing in a brand new world in 1.6 without a machine close by, I will get under 5 FPS on the same laptop. Any reason why this would be?
Well, you kinda answered your own question there. The new packs are significantly more resource-intensive than the old ones. Lite is the only pack that's even compatible with 32-bit Java anymore.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Also, vanilla MC 1.6 is doing more than previous versions. Just 1 example is monster (mob) pathing. Mobs are much smarter in 1.6 than previous versions and will spend quite a bit of time and effort finding ways into your base.

Reactions: zorn

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Also, vanilla MC 1.6 is doing more than previous versions. Just 1 example is monster (mob) pathing. Mobs are much smarter in 1.6 than previous versions and will spend quite a bit of time and effort finding ways into your base.
Not to mention certain versions causing zombies to spawn more zombies, which all start making the same calculations upon spawning, and I seem to recall that Zorn likes to play hard mode.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention certain versions causing zombies to spawn more zombies, which all start making the same calculations upon spawning, and I seem to recall that Zorn likes to play hard mode.

yes, but i was playin hard level difficulty on 1/4.7 too. Sounds like Mojang is the cause, not really the mods, which makes sense. it's odd though, I thought one of the features that made minecraft so popular was that people could play it on older or basic PCs that didnt have video cards, now that attractiveness is lost.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
yes, but i was playin hard level difficulty on 1/4.7 too. Sounds like Mojang is the cause, not really the mods, which makes sense. it's odd though, I thought one of the features that made minecraft so popular was that people could play it on older or basic PCs that didnt have video cards, now that attractiveness is lost.
Well, it's the combination of new vanilla features PLUS the insane memory use of mods.

You'll still be fine on an older system with vanilla. But newer packs eat memory like candy.

As an aside to that, time marches on. Alpha was released in 2009. Official release was late 2011.

Since then, the definition of "older or basic PC" has changed significantly. My latest LAPTOP (which is a midrange machine) has an 8-thread, quad-core processor, 8gb of RAM and dedicated graphics.

Mystara

Jul 29, 2019
I have a few questions, all of them are mechanics related, not game play.

1. Why are so many non-installed mod configs included in the various pack downloads? (i.e. Horizons shows Buildcraft and Gregtech configs. Neither is included in that pack)

2. For the Inventory Tweaks mod, the basic Item Tree config file for this mod is useless as it ONLY includes vanilla items, so nothing modded is included for sorting/auto-fill purposes. Is there a place/plan to get updated configurations for each mod-pack that contain this mod which actually include the modded items? Currently I'm playing Horizons.

3. For the packs with forestry (and some associated add-ons) the backpacks are configured to accept vanilla items. There is actually a Thaumcraft backpack that won't accept anything as it's config is empty. Is there a place to get the updated configs for these backpacks per mod-pack?

I know that the team is quite busy maintaining and updating these packs. I personally feel that just throwing an inventory mod into a pack that doesn't actually work with 95% of the inventory defeats it's purpose. These are some very powerful organizational mods and I would love to see them being used at their full potential.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019

1. Why are so many non-installed mod configs included in the various pack downloads? (i.e. Horizons shows Buildcraft and Gregtech configs. Neither is included in that pack)

2. For the Inventory Tweaks mod, the basic Item Tree config file for this mod is useless as it ONLY includes vanilla items, so nothing modded is included for sorting/auto-fill purposes. Is there a place/plan to get updated configurations for each mod-pack that contain this mod which actually include the modded items? Currently I'm playing Horizons.

3. For the packs with forestry (and some associated add-ons) the backpacks are configured to accept vanilla items. There is actually a Thaumcraft backpack that won't accept anything as it's config is empty. Is there a place to get the updated configs for these backpacks per mod-pack?

I know that the team is quite busy maintaining and updating these packs. I personally feel that just throwing an inventory mod into a pack that doesn't actually work with 95% of the inventory defeats it's purpose. These are some very powerful organizational mods and I would love to see them being used at their full potential.
1. Because Universal Configs, which allows you to plug-n-play any of the mods that have configs into packs that have the Universal Configs. Ie, no more ID conflicts when you're dealing with mods that the FTB team has included configs for!

2. Eh, it just sorts by block/item ID, then within the same ID by damage value. Works for me, and most other people that I've talked to. If you want to get really deep into the nitty-gritty on editing the Inv Tweaks configs to your own taste, go for it. But it's not needed.

3. Can't really help you there. Though you may want to bug @Eyamaz about working on getting that into the universal configs (not sure how robust those configs are for items that don't exist if a mod isn't present though, which may be the reason they're just set to their default configs).

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Just FYI, Mystara, it's "ask a simple question". This would be better posted elsewhere.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

1. This is to have a common set of configs and to support people that add their own mods on top of the standard modpacks.
2. and 3. are issues/features specific to those mods

You have valid concerns and there are some merits to your claims, but you may wish to rephrase your concerns to avoid exaggerated statements such as "just throwing an inventory mod into a pack that doesn't actually work with 95% of the inventory defeats it's purpose" .

Most other FTB users would disagree with that statement.

Reactions: PierceSG and Dorque

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind moving it. Please direct me to the where.
Being that a lot of this falls more under, no offense, "my opinions cloaked in a question format" I would suggest starting your own thread for this in General Chat, as (to the best of my knowledge) there aren't any current pack feedback threads running.

A lot of people don't actually check this thread at all; it's purely intended for simple gameplay questions.

And as @MigukNamja says, you may want to rephrase slightly if you'd like your feedback to be viewed as constructive.

Mystara

Jul 29, 2019
1. Because Universal Configs, which allows you to plug-n-play any of the mods that have configs into packs that have the Universal Configs. Ie, no more ID conflicts when you're dealing with mods that the FTB team has included configs for!

2. Eh, it just sorts by block/item ID, then within the same ID by damage value. Works for me, and most other people that I've talked to. If you want to get really deep into the nitty-gritty on editing the Inv Tweaks configs to your own taste, go for it. But it's not needed.

3. Can't really help you there. Though you may want to bug @Eyamaz about working on getting that into the universal configs (not sure how robust those configs are for items that don't exist if a mod isn't present though, which may be the reason they're just set to their default configs).

Thank you for these answers I was looking for. I do apologize for posting my opinion after my questions.

As the original post said:

As a companion to the FAQ thread, I felt this forum could use one of these. If you have a question on the mechanics of any mod or an interaction between multiple mods, ask here and someone will get back with an answer. Any question is welcome here, no matter how easily obtained the information may be or how often such a question has been asked. This thread is welcoming to all.

I don't feel the other replies to my questions were very welcoming.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019

Mmh. I've seen that you can put that Souldbound thingy on the Bags, but it didn't show how. Maybe that version isn't in the DW20 pack yet?
Also, could you link that video? The boosting enchanting tables sounds interesting. I wonder if you could get like Level 60 enchants with Sharp 8 or something.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Mmh. I've seen that you can put that Souldbound thingy on the Bags, but it didn't show how. Maybe that version isn't in the DW20 pack yet?
Also, could you link that video? The boosting enchanting tables sounds interesting. I wonder if you could get like Level 60 enchants with Sharp 8 or something.
I believe it's more along the lines of "save on space by not having to set a huge number of bookshelves around your altar", but I'm not 100% sure.