Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Mmh. I've seen that you can put that Souldbound thingy on the Bags, but it didn't show how. Maybe that version isn't in the DW20 pack yet?
Also, could you link that video? The boosting enchanting tables sounds interesting. I wonder if you could get like Level 60 enchants with Sharp 8 or something.
The last two Direwolf20 forgecraft videos have them discuss the magical wood S6E16 and S6E17. It looks like, as blastedsura said, the wood is a somewhat important part of the new ender quarry requiring 8 blocks I think. As for the other stuff, I don't know, the latest version of DW20 1.6.4 should have those features [the the bag upgrade and the 5 levels for enchanting table thing] but I have yet to play with them. Not the quarry, that is still in development/beta/whathaveyou

Edited since apparently you are not all psychic.

Last edited:

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
How have Steam Boilers changed in DW 1.6.4? I've currently got one that is still heating up, it's a full size (36 block) HP Fuel Boiler, and it's currently over 100 degrees, so it's producing steam. I originally connected 18 steam dynamos (from TE) to it, but they weren't receiving enough steam, I've significantly reduced that number now. I remember DW saying in his video's that this is the difference with the new boilers, that after heating up, they are more efficient, does this just mean that they produce more steam the hotter they get?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
How have Steam Boilers changed in DW 1.6.4? I've currently got one that is still heating up, it's a full size (36 block) HP Fuel Boiler, and it's currently over 100 degrees, so it's producing steam. I originally connected 18 steam dynamos (from TE) to it, but they weren't receiving enough steam, I've significantly reduced that number now. I remember DW saying in his video's that this is the difference with the new boilers, that after heating up, they are more efficient, does this just mean that they produce more steam the hotter they get?
Yes

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
The last two Direwolf20 forgecraft videos have them discuss the magical wood S6E16 and S6E17. It looks like, as blastedsura said, the wood is a somewhat important part of the new ender quarry requiring 8 blocks I think. As for the other stuff, I don't know, the latest version of DW20 1.6.4 should have those features but I have yet to play with them.
Nope no ender quarry in any of the ftb packs, that version of XU was only released yesterday as a beta

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Nope no ender quarry in any of the ftb packs, that version of XU was only released yesterday as a beta
ah, yes that should have been worded better. It made sense in my head when I wrote it.

Ya their fuel consumption and steam production do go up as they get hotter. This has eliminated the whole 'need 3 barrels of charcoal to get a boiler up to temp' thing that RC had going on before.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Pure nodes don't convert biomes but silver wood trees, which have pure nodes in them, do convert biomes.
Ah, so what about sinister nodes?
Do they convert biomes?

and do silverwood trees grow in the nether?

(I've made my infusion altar and wand recharge pedestal in the nether, so loading up all the nodes there)

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Sinister nodes do convert biomes when freed from a jar(at least in non-nether areas). No idea about the nether/silverwood interaction though. I might have to test it since I am planning major terraforming in the overworld in my current playthrough.

doxastic

Jul 29, 2019
@doxastic : To add to @Not_Steve' s good info, the MFR Laser is slower for 2 reasons:

1. It doesn't change the world. It basically converts energy to matter and can run forever without having to be moved or damaging your pretty landscape / tunnels / lava / etc.,.
2. It's capable of producing things an MFFS rig can not easily produce, at least not without moving the MFFS rig several times to hit different Y-heights and the Nether. If you have Nether Ores installed, MFR is capable of producing Nether Ore versions of stuff.

The MFR Laser is closer to bees, magic crops, or IC2's UU-matter than it is any other form of world-smasher like MFFS, BC Quarry, IC2 Miner, Thaumcraft Arcane Bore, etc,..

I just tried it out. It's slow. To set up enough of them to cover the amount my MFFS mines would be enough to cover a 64 grid+. Needless to say it caps out at 4 Hybrid giving it max EU for max operation. So I would need at least 50 of them to even look like I'm getting anything. But my MFFS can be running for days.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I just tried it out. It's slow. To set up enough of them to cover the amount my MFFS mines would be enough to cover a 64 grid+. Needless to say it caps out at 4 Hybrid giving it max EU for max operation. So I would need at least 50 of them to even look like I'm getting anything. But my MFFS can be running for days.
With sufficient power, they may be slow as compared to digging solutions, but you only get relatively valuable stuff and you never have to move it.

Personally, I prefer the drills. One week with three fully powered drills and I had more resources than I could realistically use, even with an MAC.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk[DOUBLEPOST=1392334441][/DOUBLEPOST]On a completely different note, does anyone have any idea how to make a Polished Log in Mariculture, being that the Vat is incapable of holding enough oil to do so (and I've tried doing it in stages, no go; the log just sits in the oil, looking at you.)

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with Dorque on this one. You'll definitely get more materials with the MFFS mining platform, but you'll be cutting large swathes through whatever world you set it on. the MFR drills just sit there and do their thing. You could even add some aesthetic structures under/around them to make them look good. You can't really make chunk-error sized bars across the landscape look good. And yeah, I'm aware the counter-argument is to just do it in a Mystcraft mining world, or I guess in the deep dark (though then you have to worry about running into things).

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know what would happen if someone on a server got on the first day and traveled 40K blocks in one direction before making a base?

I realize this would cause the world folder to be larger, but will it affect CPU or RAM usage more than if they had jsut built normally within a few thousand blocks of spawn? THe player I have who did this seems to cause RAM usage to go up on my server by 1 gb when he joins, Im wondering if its because he built so far away.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know what would happen if someone on a server got on the first day and traveled 40K blocks in one direction before making a base?

I realize this would cause the world folder to be larger, but will it affect CPU or RAM usage more than if they had jsut built normally within a few thousand blocks of spawn? THe player I have who did this seems to cause RAM usage to go up on my server by 1 gb when he joins, Im wondering if its because he built so far away.
What does he have at his base, and is it normally chunk loaded? I'd more easily put the blame on what he has in his base than how far away from spawn it is. Or potentially the terrain around his base?

Reactions: zorn

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019

As far as I know, it shouldn't make a difference. Wherever you are, a radius of 10 is loaded around you, the rest of the map is dormant.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: zorn

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
[DOUBLEPOST=1392334441][/DOUBLEPOST]On a completely different note, does anyone have any idea how to make a Polished Log in Mariculture, being that the Vat is incapable of holding enough oil to do so (and I've tried doing it in stages, no go; the log just sits in the oil, looking at you.)

The 2x2 Vat holds up to 30000mB.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
What does he have at his base, and is it normally chunk loaded? I'd more easily put the blame on what he has in his base than how far away from spawn it is. Or potentially the terrain around his base?

He has absolutely nothing at hsi base, not even one machine, just building blocks. I figured this was the answer, it just seemed odd that RAM would jump up 1 GB the day he logged in ,after a fewy days of him not playing.

efr44738

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to create a lamp of growth, but I am unable to find anything with victus to throw into my alchemical furnace and I have not been able to find anything online. Am I missing something?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
He has absolutely nothing at hsi base, not even one machine, just building blocks. I figured this was the answer, it just seemed odd that RAM would jump up 1 GB the day he logged in ,after a fewy days of him not playing.
Well, a second player worth of server load will definitely increase RAM use. Consider how much it takes just to keep you going.

That being said, there are often "out of sight" factors; stuff like hungry nodes, various sorts of dungeons, there can be a variety of factors increasing server load where he is that aren't immediately apparent. A lot can happen in a 10 chunk radius.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Silent-Hunter

Jul 29, 2019
Is this for 1.6 or an older version? If it's the most recent version than make sure that you understand that the E-net for IC2 has changed. IC2 no longer uses "packets"; instead all generators/energy storage units will add their energy together. So 4 Generators will combine to send 40 eu down a line instead of four 10 eu packets.
Ah, no. This is for 1.4.7, I'm using FTB Ultimate.

xeon13

Jul 29, 2019
I recently ran into an issue in the Direwolf20 1.6.4 pack involving thermal expansion item ducts. When I attach them to a machine, add a servo, and open up the interface it says the pipe is attached to the opposite side of the block that I attached it to. This isn't a problem with other TE machines since they auto eject, but when trying to use them to feed coal into an alchemical furnace for example it becomes an issue. Does anyone know if this is a bug with TE or what might be up? I looked around for a while online and couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks in advance for the help.