Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jeroo23

Jul 29, 2019
If you just want this put up on a big monitor that's pretty simple. Start by wrapping the monitor i.e.
Code:
mon = peripheral.wrap("top")
if the monitor is on top of the computer. From there you can go one of two ways: 1) Use
Code:
mon.setCursorPos(1,[line #])
to change lines and
Code:
mon.write("[text]")
to write text on those lines.

2) after wrapping the monitor use
Code:
term.redirect(mon)
and use
Code:
print("[text]")
to write each line.

print() automatically goes to the next line whereas write() doesn't, however since print() isn't part of the term API, it's not directly usable by the monitor so we have to use the redirect() function instead. I prefer the redirect() route for simple lists like these, though it's not quite as flexible in some slightly more advanced applications.

If you want to get fancy with colors on an advanced monitor you can use mon.setTextColor() and mon.setBackgroundColor()

Giving the monitor a nice layout is possible to code so it handles different monitor sizes dynamically, but it's MUCH easier to just manually add a bunch of spaces (or hyphens, whatever - filler characters) to your print() lines so that it fits your needs.

Also, make sure the program is saved as "startup" so that it will automatically be running even after server restarts/chunks unloading, etc.

Here's the CC wiki page for monitors as well as the page for the term API (the functions you can call on the monitor).

Overall your code should look something like
Code:
mon = peripheral.wrap("top")
term.redirect(mon)
print("Welcome to the Server!")
print("Rules:")
print("1. blah blah blah")
--rest of your rules/info enclosed in print() functions (remember to include the quotes as well)
term.restore()

that restore() at the end just returns message printouts to the computer terminal rather than the monitor so you can mess with stuff without screwing up your sign.

well i am sorry i wasn't totally clear about this i meant with the terminal glasses from openperipherail
sorry about my derp

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
If your lines aren't yellow, it probably means you set up your markers and filler in the wrong order.

Set all your landmarks first, activate them (so they're all red lines), then put the filler down next to one of the active markers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Problem would be that even after I place it down after the lines never turn yellow. Seems landmarks are alot more buggy in establishing their connections, would that be the cause? It doesn't just setup the box, it'll setup random parts and then I need to tinker to turn it into a box.

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
Problem would be that even after I place it down after the lines never turn yellow. Seems landmarks are alot more buggy in establishing their connections, would that be the cause? It doesn't just setup the box, it'll setup random parts and then I need to tinker to turn it into a box.

Sorry to ask this: Did you richt-click the landmarks before placing the filler?[DOUBLEPOST=1391013833][/DOUBLEPOST]And I have a question too. can forestry saplings/trees be used in an mfr wood farm?

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I did, they are all red. I have a 2 chunk or so box, put down my leadstone energy cell, put down my leadstone energy conduit, put down my filler and nothing.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I did, they are all red. I have a 2 chunk or so box, put down my leadstone energy cell, put down my leadstone energy conduit, put down my filler and nothing.
I just wanna make sure of some things.
You are using only 3 or 4 landmarks yes? the picture you provided had far too many and if you had more than one active that might have caused derpiness
You are placing the landmarks, activating them then placing the filler yes? try placing the filler then hooking it up to conduit.
You are placing the filler next to the 'central' landmark which is the one you activate to make the red box?

It may seem inane to go over this again and again, but 99 times out of a hundred if it's not working for you and only you it is some sort of non obvious user error (I know it is for me)

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
Well if done correctly the yellow bordering should appear immediately, before I have time to select the icon. To my knowledge to properly fill I need to define a cube, not just a square.

I've done alot of testing on it. If I had a box created using only 7 landmarks, and I had it selected in red, double checking every connection, if I would log out of my server and back in the red cube would be gone. However if I used all 8 landmarks the red cube would remain. Of course, nooo that doesn't mean the filler will detect it. I had to go and destroy and replace each landmark, and then re-establish the cube, and then, then when placing the filler it would detect it. Completely reproducible on my end. I started to wonder when, when I had a red cube, why the filler would randomly only connect to say the bottom square, or the west square, or the south square. It would randomly only connect to those three. The only thing I can think of is that the landmarks are extremely buggy and the filler isn't reading a completed cube, only a specific side being complete.

But I was able to get the filler to establish a connection with the red landmark cube finally. I needed to use all 8 landmarks, I needed to place them all and establish the connection between them all in the same login session, and then in the same session I had to place the filler. If I violated any of those it would not work, if I did them all it would connect.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Well if done correctly the yellow bordering should appear immediately, before I have time to select the icon. To my knowledge to properly fill I need to define a cube, not just a square.

I've done alot of testing on it. If I had a box created using only 7 landmarks, and I had it selected in red, double checking every connection, if I would log out of my server and back in the red cube would be gone. However if I used all 8 landmarks the red cube would remain. Of course, nooo that doesn't mean the filler will detect it. I had to go and destroy and replace each landmark, and then re-establish the cube, and then, then when placing the filler it would detect it. Completely reproducible on my end. I started to wonder when, when I had a red cube, why the filler would randomly only connect to say the bottom square, or the west square, or the south square. It would randomly only connect to those three. The only thing I can think of is that the landmarks are extremely buggy and the filler isn't reading a completed cube, only a specific side being complete.

But I was able to get the filler to establish a connection with the red landmark cube finally. I needed to use all 8 landmarks, I needed to place them all and establish the connection between them all in the same login session, and then in the same session I had to place the filler. If I violated any of those it would not work, if I did them all it would connect.
You are using far to many landmarks, you only need 4 to define a cube

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

To define a box you only need 4 markers(Basic geometry). An Origin(this is also where you place the Filler) and 3 directions(lenghts). Your problem may very well be too many markers.

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
To define a box you only need 4 markers(Basic geometry). An Origin(this is also where you place the Filler) and 3 directions(lenghts). Your problem may very well be too many markers.

When I used 3 on the bottom and one for the top it didn't work either which is why I resorted to using all 8. I should have mentioned that, I apologize. Maybe it works most of the time using 4, but it seems to work every time now that I'm using 8.

Edit: I did not place my vertical length over the landmark near the filler, I would place it over the landmark I'd use to establish the cube. That might have been responsible for the derpiness.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
When I used 3 on the bottom and one for the top it didn't work either which is why I resorted to using all 8. I should have mentioned that, I apologize. Maybe it works most of the time using 4, but it seems to work every time now that I'm using 8.
If 8 it working for you go for it, but just to clarify on the 4 It's not as simple as 3 on the bottom one on top, they all have to radiate out from your starting point. I know I screwed up far to many fillers by placing one going x placing another going z placing one and then going up. You have to place one go x, go back to first go y place one go back to first go z place one. Order of travel does not matter but they all have to radiate out from a point which is where you place your filler after you have activated the central one.

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
Yes that was my mistake, thank you. It's not at all apparent that you've made a mistake though because the cube still forms and all the wiki's just tell you to place the filler in front of a landmark and outside your cube. In fact I could have sworn it was alot smarter back in the ultimate pack, but that might just be memory.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If 8 it working for you go for it, but just to clarify on the 4 It's not as simple as 3 on the bottom one on top, they all have to radiate out from your starting point. I know I screwed up far to many fillers by placing one going x placing another going z placing one and then going up. You have to place one go x, go back to first go y place one go back to first go z place one. Order of travel does not matter but they all have to radiate out from a point which is where you place your filler after you have activated the central one.
Yes the filler has to be placed at the origin landmark and you should make sure that it is the only landmark that you click to initiate to form the red lines. If you for example place some of the landmarks and click them to get a picture of the layout before placing the filler/finishing the box it can bug out and you would have to break the landmarks and place them all again. Placing more than the 4 landmarks you can very easily confuse yourself which landmarks are actually enabled and which ones aren't.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Not long ago, someone posted an awesome Rotarycraft extractor setup that someone had moddled on youtube, 4 turbines and automatic switching. Can anyone recall who posted it and where?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
well i am sorry i wasn't totally clear about this i meant with the terminal glasses from openperipherail
sorry about my derp
Seems like an odd way to present that info, but okay. The OpenPeripheral thread over at the CC forums has a list of Terminal Glasses methods.

My suggestion would be to keep it simple and just do a bunch of bridge.addText(x, y, text, color) calls. i.e. bridge.addText(4, 4, "Welcome to the Server", 0x000000). That would put the message "Welcome to the Server" up in the top left corner in black. You could add background boxes and such, but since the text will probably end up as a pretty hefty overlay anyway, I'd be reticent to block too much of the players' fields of vision.

Remember to have the Glasses Bridge wrapped like you would the monitor in my first go-round (i.e. bridge = peripheral.wrap("top"))

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
So I updated my Direwolf20 pack to the newest version, and found all the mods I added gone. After I added them and loaded up the world, I realized that the ore generation for Big Reactors might be gone. I'm currently running a quarry which would normally have caught Big Reactor ores, but now I'm not so sure. I haven't visited the chunk with the quarry yet, so would there be ore generation at my quarry?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So I updated my Direwolf20 pack to the newest version, and found all the mods I added gone. After I added them and loaded up the world, I realized that the ore generation for Big Reactors might be gone. I'm currently running a quarry which would normally have caught Big Reactor ores, but now I'm not so sure. I haven't visited the chunk with the quarry yet, so would there be ore generation at my quarry?
AFAIK it doesn't matter one bit what loads up the area, be it a player or a chunkloader(read quarry). The area has been loaded.