Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Cuttycut

Jul 29, 2019
Whats a good power source to run a mass fabricator. I would say that im in a medium stage of the game, not too advance, but working my way up there, i have about 64 solar panels that are providing more than enough power to power 10 machines, so i have made a MFSU to store the extra EU. But its still not going to power a machine that needs 1m EU to make 1 uu matter, any ideas?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I would start by taking some of that solar power and connect it directly to the mass fab. Don't put the mass fab on your main power network until the network can handle the load. Even at lower production rate the mass fab will still produce. It will just take longer. As you ramp up your power add some to the mass fab to speed it up.

In the past I've done geothermal until I could start bridging the solar gap. Then I would shift the geothermals I wan't using anymore to the mass fab.

Cuttycut

Jul 29, 2019
I would start by taking some of that solar power and connect it directly to the mass fab. Don't put the mass fab on your main power network until the network can handle the load. Even at lower production rate the mass fab will still produce. It will just take longer. As you ramp up your power add some to the mass fab to speed it up.

In the past I've done geothermal until I could start bridging the solar gap. Then I would shift the geothermals I wan't using anymore to the mass fab.
Cool, i think ill just make another MFSU to half the Eu, and let some go to the mass fabricator. But i would like to make a seperate power source for it in the the future and make it sort of fast, at least faster than the solar power, what would you recommend for that?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Good options for the mass fab are:

- Nuclear power: the reactor may be expensive, but what else are you using your uranium for? Plus, with a good design, 50+ UU-matter per cycle is not unrealistic.
- Solar spam: 64 panels? Pah. Go carpet that landscape! Or use CompactSolars.
- Geothermal spam: one nether pump with 4 redstone engines plus tesseract supplies 16 geothermals... with a magmatic engine, a lot more.
- Steam turbines: when you have renewable fuel farms driving steam boilers, might as well. 450 EU/t per 36 HP boiler.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Whats a good power source to run a mass fabricator. I would say that im in a medium stage of the game, not too advance, but working my way up there, i have about 64 solar panels that are providing more than enough power to power 10 machines, so i have made a MFSU to store the extra EU. But its still not going to power a machine that needs 1m EU to make 1 uu matter, any ideas?
Power source:
If you have access to lava, a pump->endertank->geothermal is a very cheap solution. Each generator produces 20EU. If you have mystcraft pages for it you can make a lava ocean world for it. Else nether is easy to set up.

Theres no problem in having the mass fabricator on your Eu network, but you will need to limit its usage as long as you don't produce enough to keep it running all the time. The different EU storages/transformers have different throughput limits. You could for example use a batbox to limit the power to the MF to 32EU/t(remember to step down the voltage you feed the batbox).

If you aren't already, start using recyclers on spare cobble etc. to make scrap and feed the scrap into the MF to greatly increase efficiency. Put a pipe(stone transport pipe, cobblestone structure pipe or whatever) next to your MF and add a standard gate to it. Choose the condition "No amplifier" and output to Redstone signal on. This way your MF only runs when it has scrap.

YV5vDrB.jpg

Here I am using a MFSU to limit the power to the MF to 512EU/t, feeding it with scrap with AE and the gate turning the MF off when it doesnt have scrap.

Edit: Oh probably a better solution: Make a Range trigger(part of the Industrial information mod), put it next to your MF. Make an energy sensor kit and use it on your main EU storage. Put card received into range trigger. Then set Range trigger to output redstone signal when your EU storage goes under a certain limit. If you use a MFSU you can for example set the range trigger to 9 million upper limit and 8 million lower. The MF will only run then when theres plenty EU in storage, and keep power for your other machines/recharging gear in reserve.

Last edited:

KKeys

Jul 29, 2019
config spawn weight, lower = more often?

for ex:
I want to lessen the spawn rate of blue slimes.

I:"Spawn Weight for Blue Slime"=8

Which way would accomplish this? down or up?

JegherX

Jul 29, 2019
[Tinker's Construct answer]
I try for the 3rd time hoping someone know something about that :)

I've seen that some tools have a shiny texture and light blue name, while other tools are not shining and have a white name..
Do you know why? And does anyone know how to obtain the shiny effect?

Thanks all :D
Here is a little image to better understand what i mean:

TConstruct.jpg

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
config spawn weight, lower = more often?

for ex:
I want to lessen the spawn rate of blue slimes.

I:"Spawn Weight for Blue Slime"=8

Which way would accomplish this? down or up?

Lower would mean less spawns. Setting it to 2-4 would bring it in line with other mobs.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I've seen that some tools have a shiny texture and light blue name, while other tools are not shining and have a white name..

I'm not sure but did you add a nether star or diamond + gold block to the 1st two items? It looks like those two have more modifiers added to them than the white. I'll see if I can do some creative testing tonight. What version of minecraft and TiC are you running?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
[Tinker's Construct answer]
I try for the 3rd time hoping someone know something about that :)

Thanks all :D
Here is a little image to better understand what i mean:

View attachment 8259
The shiny blue effect is caused by vanilla enchants. If you notice the 2 shiny ones have Fortune and Silk touch which are vanilla enchants. The others do not. TC makes use of some of the vanilla enchants for its applied effects.

JegherX

Jul 29, 2019
The shiny blue effect is caused by vanilla enchants. If you notice the 2 shiny ones have Fortune and Silk touch which are vanilla enchants. The others do not. TC makes use of some of the vanilla enchants for its applied effects.

You are my new hero! It was a month i was trying to understand that xD
Thank you very much ;)

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Question. In 1.6 and higher. Since there is no thermal expansion, what way is there to transport energy across dimensions? Gotta power my quarry somehow.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Question. In 1.6 and higher. Since there is no thermal expansion, what way is there to transport energy across dimensions? Gotta power my quarry somehow.
Endertank and liquid fuel? Relatively easy to set up 3-4 magmatic engines to the quarry and fuel with lava from endertank(assuming you have access to those).

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Endertank and liquid fuel? Relatively easy to set up 3-4 magmatic engines to the quarry and fuel with lava from endertank(assuming you have access to those).

No actual energy ways? And Im not using GT in this pack so no IDSU. Ugh. I build all this regular energy and I need to go back to stupid fuel? :(

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Was going to suggest the turtle+energy cell approach, but yeah also Thermal Expansion. Dont know of any other way to "teleport" power other than tesseracts.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
No actual energy ways? And Im not using GT in this pack so no IDSU. Ugh. I build all this regular energy and I need to go back to stupid fuel? :(
Power converters in there with IC2? Convert to EU -> batteries/ EU crystals/lapotronic crystals -> ender chest -> Batbox/MFE/MFSU. Otherwise you'd need EnderIO.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Power converters in there with IC2? Convert to EU -> batteries/ EU crystals/lapotronic crystals -> ender chest -> Batbox/MFE/MFSU. Otherwise you'd need EnderIO.
Wouldent the whole setup of charging batteries, putting them in enderchest, taking out, empty batteries, send them back be a royal pain to move every time you need to move the quarry?
The lava route is after all only 1 endertank, couple of waterproof pipes, engines and 2 redstone conduits. Thats how I usually start out before having access to producing tesseracts. Very first I just use conductive pipes and let them blow up when quarry is done. Not experienced the pipes blowing anything else up.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Kinetic pipes no longer blow up. Yes it would be much more of a hassle but it would be 10x more cool points.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

Thermal Expansion 3 for 1.6.4 will be releasing sometime this week (probably). I think they're still waiting on some textures.