Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
ANyone done the iridium reaction in a gregtech fusion reactor? I have 16 plasma generators set up to 16 energy injectors, to give the 32K eu/t needed to keep the reaction going... but the computer just shows a constant, slow loss of power... then it gets down to nothing, and the reaction stops. The generators recharge all the injectors, and it starts again for awhile, then stops again.

16 plasma generators should give it enough energy, anyone familiar with running this reaction in a reactor, and did you have any trouble with it?

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
How can i light a nether portal without a flint and steel ive tryed lighting it with lava and i cant find any fire charges any ideas?

The ghast idea is good. Also, when you say you tried lighting it with lava do you mean JUST lava? Because a better method would be to use lava to light some wood on fire adjacent to the portal (assuming you have some wood or other flammable block). You want the wood to be immediately adjacent to the portal opening, but not in it. And it can be a finicky process, so be patient and give it numerous tries.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
ANyone done the iridium reaction in a gregtech fusion reactor? I have 16 plasma generators set up to 16 energy injectors, to give the 32K eu/t needed to keep the reaction going... but the computer just shows a constant, slow loss of power... then it gets down to nothing, and the reaction stops. The generators recharge all the injectors, and it starts again for awhile, then stops again.

16 plasma generators should give it enough energy, anyone familiar with running this reaction in a reactor, and did you have any trouble with it?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you are using the Iridium Ore recipe in the Fusion reactor, the reactor doesn't generate any plasma during it's run. You need to keep inputting power through some other means (as the plasma gens have no plasma). http://gregtechcommunitywiki.wikispaces.com/Fusion+Reactor This is a good description of the process. You need the 10 energy injectors to hold the 100Mil EU to start the reaction, the Wolfram and Lithium as materials for the material injectors, and an Extractor to pull out the Iridium ore produced. At the bottom it says it needs 16M EU for the reaction as running cost, so I think you still need a couple of MFSU around with the extra 16M EU hooked up to the Injectors for the reaction process.

Also, just to check, probably want the reactor totally contained in one chunk. hth

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Well now its working. The reaction requires 32,000 Eu/t... this means 16 plasma generators. I just made more injectors and put injectors in every available spot. I had 21K helium plasma cells stored up to turn my tungsten into iridium. Maybe i over did it, but i didnt think MFSUs would work... i would need 64 of them in parallel to keep the reaction going. The way I understood it, you need 16m eu PER 512 tick reaction, or per iridium ore produced. Thats two helium plasma cells per iridium.

It appears i could have put 4 plasma generators on one Energy Injector, using super conductor wire. Oh well, at this point i have more iridium than i can use anyway.

ZeSapper

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know what the different node types in TC4 mean? I've encountered Normal, Dark, Fading, Bright, and Hungry so far. All I know is hungry is absolutely terrifying.

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
@ZeSapper:
I know some types reflect how fast it recharges its elements, bright will recharge faster for example.
Also note that if you move nodes they have a 25% chance(I think) to drop to the level below(bright will become normal, etc).

Reactions: ZeSapper

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Bright, Normal and Dim are the recharge speed levels, yes. All nodes have one (and only one) of this primary attribute.

Then there are optional secondary attributes: Fading, Dark, Pure, Tainted, Hungry and possibly others. Not all nodes have them, but if they do, they are added after a comma behind the primary attribute (i.e. "Normal, Fading" or "Bright, Pure"). Unsure whether or not nodes can have more than one secondary attribute.

Dark, Tainted and Pure are mostly the same as in TC3... Dark nodes spread the Eerie biome type, Tainted nodes spread the Taint biome type, and Pure nodes combat the spread of the two aforementioned ones (not sure if they have their own biome type, but it's possible. I just never found one so far). They might also infect other nearby nodes with their own type.

What Hungry and Fading do, I don't know. I have a Fading node near my base, and it has done nothing so far (not even disappeared or lowered in capacity). I've never found Hungry.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any items other than that axe from TC that can cut down extremely large trees easily? (thinking the sacred oak from... I think natura?)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Items? Not that I know of. Tinker's Construct lumber axes fail because the tree is too large.

Oh, while we're on the topic of Thaumcraft 4:
I'm looking for a way to procure a large amount of research points for aer, aqua, ordo and terra. In roughly even proportions. Maybe less ordo and more aqua. What can I use? I've been chewing through stacks of sugar cane and nether wart in deconstruction tables and it's not really giving as much as I'd like to have. Most stacks only yield 4-5 research points for the four combined, and I can easily use hundreds.

JegherX

Jul 29, 2019
I think the only one is producing biofuel with the MFR machines (BioReactor) ;)
(and if you have other unused "natural products", the process will be more efficient)

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any items other than that axe from TC that can cut down extremely large trees easily? (thinking the sacred oak from... I think natura?)

Tc's checks seem to be directly related to trunks and leaves. TC will not chop down trees with shrinking trunk columns, like the redwood, but s soonas you get rid of the trink base that's wider than the main trunk, it wlll cut down a 30-high redwood from a BoP biome flawlessly. This might be related to a discovery I found when doing tree breeding grafting. The TC axe will not chop down trees that do not have a leaf block on top of at least one of the trunk parts. A good experiment: find a redwood biome, shear a good chunk of leaves, then place the leaves around the lip of the shrinking trunk sections. Then, give her a cut with a TC axe. my hypothesis is that the tree will fell completely if this is done.

Another axe that works is the dart craft axe. It has a lower height limit than TC, but has a wider box cut, I think 10x10ish. Still doesn't solve your problem, but its something. You could also carry two tesseracts, a harvester, and a range upgrade. I believe the harvester height limit is configurable in the config.

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013

The only ones I know of are Tinkers' Construct's Lumber Axe (Which isn't too expensive if you just go for a bone, slime or flint one), or Thaumcraft's Axe of the Stream (which requires a fair bit of research)

EDIT: Oh, forgot about the DartCraft Lumber Axe! But that thing breaks quickly, and has less range.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, while we're on the topic of Thaumcraft 4:
I'm looking for a way to procure a large amount of research points for aer, aqua, ordo and terra. In roughly even proportions. Maybe less ordo and more aqua. What can I use? I've been chewing through stacks of sugar cane and nether wart in deconstruction tables and it's not really giving as much as I'd like to have. Most stacks only yield 4-5 research points for the four combined, and I can easily use hundreds.
Unfortunately, the "easiest" way is wandering the landscape scanning nodes.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you also make the crystal clusters? Placing them over the research table should give research points.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, the "easiest" way is wandering the landscape scanning nodes.

Nodes?

No node has ever given me a single research point. Scanning them just reveals their type.

Oh, and I figured out what "Fading" does. The total storage amount does decline over time... and once drained, doesn't seem to be recharging either (or so slowly that nothing happens for multiple Minecraft days). It's basically a dead, useless node. Drain it immediately when you find it, and then forget it exists.

Avengor

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to get started with bees, and I've been watching youtube all morning. The gist I am getting is that I should be working with purebred bees as much as possible. What should I do with the hybrid bees? Convert them to liquid DNA or try to make purebreds out of them?