Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
Except: 1) boilers are much harder to explode than combustion engines (I had 4 separate combustion engine explosions before we switched to boilers); and 2) it's not whether you have consumption of 40 MJ/t, it's whether you have plans to have production. Without adequate power, quarries are super slow. Put up a boiler and you can have 3 quarries running at full speed. Or 2 quarries with 44 MJ left over for your base.

IMO, you switch to boilers when you have a reliable fuel source (whether it's fuel from oil, biofuel from saplings/wheat, or planks from a tree farm). Once you switch to boilers, your base will have a huge amount of power that you can use for anything you want, whether it's advanced bee machines, quarries, or gregtech.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Except: 1) boilers are much harder to explode than combustion engines (I had 4 separate combustion engine explosions before we switched to boilers)
Set your Aqueous Accumulators to ignore redstone signal. I have /no idea/ why they default to "blow things up". Boilers would blow in the same circumstance.
... and 2) it's not whether you have consumption of 40 MJ/t, it's whether you have plans to have production. Without adequate power, quarries are super slow. Put up a boiler and you can have 3 quarries running at full speed. Or 2 quarries with 44 MJ left over for your base.
Are you running those quarries all the time? Or even a quarter of the time? If you aren't, the boiler's still going to bleed so much spare energy that the efficiency is all illusionary -- you may end up with more fuel consumption to do the same job than combustion engines, or even less than hobbyist engines, would. Large numbers of energy cells or massive steam storage tanks can somewhat reduce this effect, but they're almost never part of how people operate on servers. And you can get a lot of on-demand power from other engines, including in high enough density to easily set up a quarry (Portable Tanks are not only cheap as can be, they can also store 1.6 million MJ in ethanol, as compared to a Redstone Energy Cell's 0.6).

Boilers are used because they're the obvious solution, and they're good at that. Once you have an infinite fuel loop of significant size, you can sit a single one down, pass liquiducts to your industrial steam engines, and never have to think about redstone logic or fuel flow. That's a perfectly legitimate reason. But it's not efficiency, and that's what many people think they're doing when building a steam boiler. If you're at all concerned about incoming fuel flow, or at all resource-limited -- and it sounds like that user is -- it's worthwhile to think beyond that.

Sicle

Jul 29, 2019
I need a bit help, i can't think of a way of doing it :/

I want to automate Industrial Electrolyzer with Applied Energistics. I have a big load of every Kind of Dust that dont have a good use except being electolyzed.
But i can not just put a Export Bus on it, it would stuck and other Dusts would store up.

The only way i know is with RP2 Sorting machines and tell it the exact Amount that it need. But then i would have to export all the Dust out of the AE System and into a chest.

Somebody know another way to do it, that is Fail safe?

I was also looking for it and wasn't 'satisfied' with the answers I got here, so I did some fiddling and this is how I did it:
Put ME Interface on top of the Industrial Electrolyzer and then put an ME Export Bus underneath it, in the Export Bus you filter Empty Cells. If you want to make let's say a Silicon Cell, you simply make a Crafting Pattern with 16 sand in the center (and the Silicon Cell on the right ofc.) and put that Crafting Pattern in the ME Interface. The only thing you need to make sure of is to have plenty Empty Cells in your system, I just made a Crafting Pattern for that aswell and try to keep it at 100+, but whenever you need them it's 3 clicks to make an instant stack of it anyway, since you're already in the ME System :p

Hope this helps anyone who is still googling this ;)

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if this has been answered already.

Are seared brick blocks from the tinker's construct smeltery tile entities? I would like to use them for a decorative block but I am worried it would be like using the coke oven blocks from railcraft.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019

Are seared brick blocks from the tinker's construct smeltery tile entities? I would like to use them for a decorative block but I am worried it would be like using the coke oven blocks from railcraft.

All multiblocks use tile entities. It's just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: casilleroatr

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019

i actually think they wont form a multiblock unless you tried adding a smeltery controller, but i have no idea, someone should test this

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
In the CC Turtles programming, how would you say that you want to add 1? I want it to take the current slot the turtle has selected, and just add one to it to make it slot 2. then 2 to 3, and so on. I would like to use it in a function too.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
i actually think they wont form a multiblock unless you tried adding a smeltery controller, but i have no idea, someone should test this

They won't. In fact, it is super touchy even with the controller, especially if you have Railcraft installed.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
They won't. In fact, it is super touchy even with the controller, especially if you have Railcraft installed.

The railcraft thing is to do with a feature that can track where a player has moved in the last half hour. It's called tracker aura or something and I think there is some documentation on it on the railcraft website. When I was laying out a farm as well I was stopped from planting seeds and I think the railcraft aura was responsible. I was able to wash it away with a bucket of water placed in the world. There is something in the railcraft config that allows you to turn it off but I don;t know which yet (can't find out now either). I would recommend turning it off. I think it has the same effect that are sometimes caused by the invisible light blocks that wrath lamps add.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
In the CC Turtles programming, how would you say that you want to add 1? I want it to take the current slot the turtle has selected, and just add one to it to make it slot 2. then 2 to 3, and so on. I would like to use it in a function too.

Lua lets you add to variables directly, so

Code:
local selectedSlot = 1

turtle.select(selectedSlot)
print("I've selected slot" .. selectedSlot .. "!")
selectedSlot = selectedSlot + 1 -- this increments the variable.

It does not, to my knowledge, have an increment operator, so you're stuck with the more verbose stuff instead of selectedSlot++.

You can also do basic loops, if you want to go through a large set of numbers.

Code:
local firstSlot = 1
local lastSlot = 8 -- this can not be above 9 in ComputerCraft before 1.4, or above 16 in ComputerCraft 1.4+
local incrementSize = 1

for selectedSlot =firstSlot, lastSlot, incrementSize do
  turtle.Select(selectedSlot);
end

Note that LUA has a lot of unusual rules about control loops -- you'd not want to manipulate selectedSlot from inside the do-end bit, nor access its value below the end.

There is something in the railcraft config that allows you to turn it off but I don;t know which yet (can't find out now either).
Going to railcraft/railcraft.cfg and setting "I:block.hidden=" to "I:block.hidden=0" will disable the player tracking aura and its related invisible block. If you're having issues with other multiblocks, such as the Nether Portal, I'd disable it.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019

local x = 1 -- slot one. Change to the slot you want to start from
local y = 16 -- slot 16. Change to the slot you want to finish on
local z = 1 -- this is the final argument in the for loop (this will hopefully become clearer later). This argument is optional and if you omit it, it will default to one. I have put it in for the sake of a fuller explanation.

for i = x, y, z do -- the for loop takes the variable i and changes it from the value carried by x to the value carried by y by. remember z can be omitted, and if you do omit it the value will default to one (it is usually ok to omit z. You can not omit x or y). You can put the numbers
--right into the for loop
turtle.select(i) -- if x equals 1 and y equals 5 the for loop will repeat this command 5 times. i will at first equal 1 and each time the code is repeated it will equal itself + one. So after the fifth iteration i will equal 5, after the third iteration i will equal 3.
end

That should be correct lua syntax. Just so you know, I only defined the variables in the for loop just so you know that while the numbers can be changed to what slot you want they need to be numbers and not strings (I hope that makes sense).

The program I wrote above will do nothing other than cycle once through all 16 turtle slots.
I don't know what you want your turtle to do but hopefully you can adapt the following exemplar to your needs.

-- This function will empty the turtles inventory

function slotClear()
for i = 1, 16 do
turtle.select(i)
turtle.dropUp() -- up because I feel like it
end

sorry if I can't comment more in this topic. but I'm chatting with my fiance and I am bad at multitasking. But I have noticed someone else has responded to your query so you are probably better off looking through their advice rather than mine. Hope what I said helps anyway.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Lua lets you add to variables directly, so

Code:
local selectedSlot = 1

selectedSlot = selectedSlot + 1 -- this increments the variable.

It does not, to my knowledge, have an increment operator, so you're stuck with the more verbose stuff instead of selectedSlot++.

You can also do basic loops, if you want to go through a large set of numbers.

Code:
local firstSlot = 1
local lastSlot = 8 -- this can not be above 9 in ComputerCraft before 1.4, or above 16 in ComputerCraft 1.4+
local incrementSize = 1

for selectedSlot =firstSlot[COLOR=#000000],lastSlot, incrementSize do[/COLOR]
end

Note that LUA has a lot of unusual rules about control loops -- you'd not want to manipulate selectedSlot from inside the do-end bit, nor access its value below the end.
Code:
local firstSlot = 1
local incrementSize = 1

end
Would that allow me to cycle through all 16 slots? So after the 16th slot is empty, it would go back to slot 1?

Also, the code that I have didn't work like intended. I have ;
Code:
selectedSlot = 1

function Change()
    selectedSlot = selectedSlot + 1
  end

if turtle.getitemCount(0) then
  Change()
end
It seems like it should work, but no. Thanks for the help, man.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Right now, you're always checking the count of items in slot 0 -- the function is turtle.getItemCount(slotNumber), which returns the number of items in that slot. There's also a need for sanity checks.

Code:
selectedSlot = 1
function Change()
  if (selectedSlot > 16) then
    print("Reached end of inventory!")
    selectedSlot = 1
  end
end

if turtle.getitemCount(selectedSlot) == 0 then
  Change()
end

You'll probably need other code to make it cycle; right now, it's only going to do this check once, and then end.

EDIT: corrected stupid smart formatting, and fixed bug on end-of-inventory.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
is there a good guide or useful hints to set up a high-performing steve's carts treefarm? just upgraded to galgadorian cutter, but i feel it's kinda meh in output. wondering if there's any tips on what to do to increase its yield per hour.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Code:
local firstSlot = 1
local incrementSize = 1

end
Would that allow me to cycle through all 16 slots? So after the 16th slot is empty, it would go back to slot 1?

Also, the code that I have didn't work like intended. I have ;
Code:
selectedSlot = 1

function Change()
  end

if turtle.getitemCount(0) then
  Change()
end
It seems like it should work, but no. Thanks for the help, man.
A simpler version of this is
Code:
for i = 1, 16 do
    if turtle.getItemCount(i) > 0 then
        turtle.select(i)
        <whatever you want to do with the items in the selected slot>
    end
end

It will only run through the slots once, though, So I'd suggest putting that code inside another loop like this:
Code:
while true do
    <the code from above>
    sleep(5) --or however long you want to wait between checks
end

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Guess Ill ask here, is there a replacement mod for NEI Tooltips? Cause the NEI Tooltips break textures on some thaumcraft stuff. Change greatwood trees into silverwood leaves, etc. But I cant remember the name of half the blocks Im looking at. Turning NEI tooltips on and off is annoying too.