Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys,

Is it possible to set up a pulverizer to take items automatically out of a chest and then redirect them to a series of electric furnaces? I am using MindCrack pack. IF so, which mod would allow me to get this done?

Thanks
Mindcrack isn't on 1.5 yet, but when it is vanilla hoppers will feed the pulverizer perfectly. To distribute the output to electric furnaces you can use BC pipes (pulverizer will auto-output to them) or RP tubes (need a relay for the pulverizer to output into followed by tubes).

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack isn't on 1.5 yet, but when it is vanilla hoppers will feed the pulverizer perfectly. To distribute the output to electric furnaces you can use BC pipes (pulverizer will auto-output to them) or RP tubes (need a relay for the pulverizer to output into followed by tubes).
Playing the 1.52 beta pack v 0.5, i can say that vanilla hoppers do not output into pulverizers (or any TE machines I've tested, nor do hoppers output into BC chutes (previously known as hoppers)). This will hopefully be fixed, just thought it worth noting.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
Playing the 1.52 beta pack v 0.5, i can say that vanilla hoppers do not output into pulverizers (or any TE machines I've tested, nor do hoppers output into BC chutes (previously known as hoppers)). This will hopefully be fixed, just thought it worth noting.

i just tested this and i can confirm yes vanilla hoppers will put items into TE machines, as long as it is attached to the correct face

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
I'm experimenting with Power Crystals' Power Converters 2 mod for the first time. I'm trying to store all my buildcraft power in a MFSU (seem to have much greater capacity than Redstone Energy Cell with conversion from my experiments) and set up a BC consumer, Energy Bridge and IC2 HV Producer to the MFSU. That works great, my engines charge up the MFSU as they should.

The problem starts when I try to convert MFSU's output back to MJs (with IC2 HV Consumer, Energy Bridge and a BC Producer). The system does convert, but the problem is it never stops. Even if nothing is hooked up to the BC Procucer, the IC2 HV consumer drains my MFSu the whole time.

Is there a way to make the converters only consume power when it is needed? Otherwise the system seams not good at all on being run from some kind of battery, it will just drain it dry wasting all the energy.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Concerning 1.5 vanilla hoppers, my 1.5 worlds depend on them heavily for automation combined with all mods. They are incredibly powerful.

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question what level for Beta 1.5.2WGT would diamonds be most plentiful for a strip mine operation?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
eye level at Y 12, gets you Y 11, 12, and 13, or Y level 13, gets you 12, 13, 14. Both share somewhat the same concentration of diamonds, but eye level at Y 13 almost guarantees you won't find major lava lakes or waterfalls above your head. Although eye level at Y 12 will get you more Lapis and Redstone. So, take your pick.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of TE and hoppers, I had a working ore processor, but one day the hoppers stopped putting stuff in the machines. Any idea why, or a fix?

shaunsixty

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone help me with computer craft?
I'm trying to make a program that outputs a redstone signal to the left and writes 'we are open 'on a monitor when it receives a constant redstone signal from below, and writes 'we are closed 'and turns off the output signal when the input signal turns off.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Can someone help me with computer craft?
I'm trying to make a program that outputs a redstone signal to the left and writes 'we are open 'on a monitor when it receives a constant redstone signal from below, and writes 'we are closed 'and turns off the output signal when the input signal turns off.

Code:
local isOpen
local monitor = peripheral.wrap("right")

repeat
  monitor.clear()
  monitor.setCursorPos(1,1) -- if you don't clear and reset monitor position, text may not show up.
  isOpen = redstone.getInput("bottom")
  if(isOpen) then
    monitor.write("We Are Open!")
  else
    monitor.write("We Are Closed!")
  end
  redstone.setOutput("left", isOpen)
  os.pullEvent("redstone") -- we only need to check on changes to redstone
                          -- status, so waiting on the event is probably
                          -- the most efficient option
until false

This code is needlessly verbose, and it assumes that the monitor is on the right side of the computer -- if it isn't, you'll need to change the peripheral.wrap command. Also, note that redstone wire does like to climb 'through' ComputerCraft computers, so if you're taking signal from below and pushing it to the left, right, front, or back, it's a good idea to use a redstone repeater on that output side as a diode, or you'll find yourself in a short circuit.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
In regards to quarrying. How big/where do you generally go? I obviously dont want one near my base. But Im unsure how to find a sweat spot, or do I just look for open ground, set up quarry and go wild? Max size? Normal? Whats best bang for buck?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on what you want. Small quarries get you the depth ores faster (redstone, diamond), whereas max size quarries get you the high-up stuff faster (copper, tin, quartz) and the depth stuff later-on. You also need to move them less often.

I generally close my quarry holes with fillers running off the cobblestone the quarry collected, then spreading one layer of dirt over it and planting a few trees.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Now repeat the experiment: make sure the batbox is full, the generator's internal storage is full and it has a stack of charcoal available. Now insert a stack of ore to be macerated and see how much charcoal gets consumed. You'll be unpleasantly surprised, I guarantee you.
Yep. You're right. I thought the big selling point of IC2 is that you don't waste charcoal when you furnace a single piece of ore, because the batbox or whatnot acts as a buffer. And I must have got something wrong because 10 coal with an empty batbox only macerated 47 items.

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
eye level at Y 12, gets you Y 11, 12, and 13, or Y level 13, gets you 12, 13, 14. Both share somewhat the same concentration of diamonds, but eye level at Y 13 almost guarantees you won't find major lava lakes or waterfalls above your head. Although eye level at Y 12 will get you more Lapis and Redstone. So, take your pick.
Ok thanks for the information.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on what you want. Small quarries get you the depth ores faster (redstone, diamond), whereas max size quarries get you the high-up stuff faster (copper, tin, quartz) and the depth stuff later-on. You also need to move them less often.

I generally close my quarry holes with fillers running off the cobblestone the quarry collected, then spreading one layer of dirt over it and planting a few trees.

I see... Is there anything else to look for? Or just pick a spot? My world has so many caverns/ravines, it pisses me off. I ended up quarrying into one twice. Grrr.

Also, about AE. How does wireless work? I see a wireless access point and wireless terminal. Im guessing I wire up the access point as far from where my base is, add in a wireless booster, then I can just use the terminal from anywhere within range? Is there a line limit to how far ME cables go? They cost so much to make too though.. Uugu.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
I see... Is there anything else to look for? Or just pick a spot? My world has so many caverns/ravines, it pisses me off. I ended up quarrying into one twice. Grrr.
If you're looking for diamonds or redstone, finding a low area helps. If you're looking for ore that is more common higher up, or need coal or iron, starting higher up means you need to move the quarry less often. If you're running Gregtech, certain gems only show up in some biomes, which may alter your focus.

Im guessing I wire up the access point as far from where my base is, add in a wireless booster, then I can just use the terminal from anywhere within range?
You have to tie the access terminal to your network by plugging it into the Network Controller for a second, but other than that, yes.

Placement depends on what you want to do. You can have multiple wireless access points, so it's fairly common to put an access point in the center of your base so you can grab items without needing to run to an Access Terminal or Crafting Station. The range isn't huge, even with range upgrades and the 11b buffs, though, so it's more useful as a convenience thing than as a replacement for ender pouches.
Is there a line limit to how far ME cables go? They cost so much to make too though.. Uugu.
Not to my knowledge, outside of the cost and energy cost of long cable runs. If there is, it's fairly large.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh. And I just want a wireless for my thaumcraft base. Which is maybe 80 blocks away or so. But Im unsure how up and down factor in to block range. Cause my base is underground but my TC base is overground.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. You're right. I thought the big selling point of IC2 is that you don't waste charcoal when you furnace a single piece of ore, because the batbox or whatnot acts as a buffer. And I must have got something wrong because 10 coal with an empty batbox only macerated 47 items.

I believe one cycle costs 800 EU, not 625, so that might be your mistake.

And the not wasting energy advantage is still true, you just gotta keep your generator from overproducing. Use it to charge the batbox when it's empty, and not to provide power for machines.

Geothermal generators, by the way, only produce on-demand and will never waste EU. All other sources however (including nuclear reactors) will happy run regardless of whether or not there's a place to put their energy.

Sam6555

Jul 29, 2019
Playing the 1.5.2 pack trying to make Alumite ingots. I put in 5 iron ore, 2 obsidian, and 2 aluminum ore. I put in an ingot cast and got 2 ingots, but all subsequent times I click on the faucet, I get nothing even though liquid poured out, with 3 different colour variations.

Now that I'm looking back at this, I'm thinking it could be something to do with me using ore rather than ingots?