Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
And how do you not have any loopbacks in that diagram? I see one right there! :p

But yes, that's precisely what the video he watched advocates to do, only that they stack several layers of sorters on top of each other. That's why the tubes branching off and leading to the chests are such a jumbled mess. It's really not a system you should build if you're just starting off on tube logic. It's like the most unpredictable and easy to screw up build possible, only to save a few blocks of space.

Also Ember, don't advocate inline transposers in sorting systems. You know what they do? They delete color tags, that's what they do (because the color tagged item enters an inventory, namely the transposer, and is then sent on its way anew without a color).

@ LoocPac: You have a build error or three somewhere in there. Something is blocking valid paths that should be there, and thus the items are desperately bouncing around taking whatever other option they can come up with. Unfortunately this is completely impossible to diagnose from text and screenshots alone, due to the complexity of the build. I'd scrap the whole system and start over from scratch, this time ignoring compactness in favor of being easy to understand. Make your own build instead of copying someone else's, in order to improve your understanding of tube routing logic. And start with only 2-3 sorters instead of 16. When those 3 work, add a fourth and make sure all four still work. Then add a fifth, and so on.

LoocPac

Jul 29, 2019
i do not know how to record video but i took a screen of it, this is off of the first box, turning straight to the restriction tube instead of the white tube right in front of it

Attachments

• wrong turn.png
    wrong turn.png
    364.8 KB · Views: 80

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
See the red light on the second sorter (under the 'n' in 'mine entrance')? It's jammed. It has an item inside it that doesn't know where to go.

LoocPac

Jul 29, 2019
omicron, im going for a more compact to keep the tubing down, more tubes more lag.[DOUBLEPOST=1368328446][/DOUBLEPOST]ill go check them all. and thank you,[DOUBLEPOST=1368328614][/DOUBLEPOST]it was a red wire, i cleared it then dropped just one in, and it jammed again

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Then there is no valid path for green-painted items to go to.

Make sure the tube leading to the green sorting chest is painted the light green (I think it might be called lime but I don't remember) you get from mixing cactus green with bone meal, and not pure cactus green.

That also explains why the green-painted items randomy went to stuff themselves into other sorters, jamming them up and/or getting themselves re-painted white.

LoocPac

Jul 29, 2019
thank you for all the help guys, i found the 2 small problems, small enough i did not think about them, the color that was programmed, did not have a chest, someone removed the chest, and a few tubes at the end, i thought all that was done, but thats all the problem was

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Also Ember, don't advocate inline transposers in sorting systems. You know what they do? They delete color tags, that's what they do (because the color tagged item enters an inventory, namely the transposer, and is then sent on its way anew without a color).

Ah, whoops. I'm going to be honest, that thought did occur to me, but I thought I was wrong about that so I left in the bit about transposers. Thanks for correcting me. So restriction tubes are definitely the way to go if necessary. Wow, I'm forgetting all sorts of stuff today.

@LoocPac: I'm glad you figured it out. Lack of a valid destination was the next thing I was going to mention (I had a whole post typed up and everything), but then I refreshed and saw that you had come to the same conclusion already.

Eiktyrner

Jul 29, 2019
Which bees are good for power generating? I'm trying to deciding between basing the system on lava or oil bees right now. Any other options I should take into consideration?

I'm on the Ultimate pack

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Which bees are good for power generating? I'm trying to deciding between basing the system on lava or oil bees right now. Any other options I should take into consideration?

I'm on the Ultimate pack
If you are intent on using bees, oil seems to make more sense. In an alveary, they produce at least enough to run a HP boiler, which will produce more power than lava. Also, there are way better ways of getting lava.

khorozm

Jul 29, 2019
is it possible to have a Mystcraft world with Gregtech the End ores spawning? I try to avoid ragging any built in world (nether, overworld and the end)

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
is it possible to have a Mystcraft world with Gregtech the End ores spawning? I try to avoid ragging any built in world (nether, overworld and the end)
I don't think so. Just build an End starship with frames and look for asteroids ;)

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019

You're after the Sheldonite I bet.

What you're really after is platinum. There is a bee and a UU recipe for platinum so it can become a renewable resource. You can also quarry a bunch in a Mystcraft world and bring home some iridium ore if you're trying to finish a mat fab.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
You're after the Sheldonite I bet.

What you're really after is platinum. There is a bee and a UU recipe for platinum so it can become a renewable resource. You can also quarry a bunch in a Mystcraft world and bring home some iridium ore if you're trying to finish a mat fab.

Generally speaking, going to the end and searching for Sheldonite is probably something that a player is going to do before they get to Platinum bees.

I was playing with a friend of mine on a server a few weeks ago. He and his wife were playing. His wife took an interest in beekeeping, so she did that while he went with other means of resource collecting.
I think it took his wife two straight weeks of exclusive bee breeding to reach platinum bees. Now, obviously she probably wasn't the best FTB player in the world, but that makes for a good starting point when trying to measure how long something like this might take. Not many people on these forums are going to be experts in the mysterious craft of bee breeding.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Generally speaking, going to the end and searching for Sheldonite is probably something that a player is going to do before they get to Platinum bees.

I was playing with a friend of mine on a server a few weeks ago. He and his wife were playing. His wife took an interest in beekeeping, so she did that while he went with other means of resource collecting.
I think it took his wife two straight weeks of exclusive bee breeding to reach platinum bees. Now, obviously she probably wasn't the best FTB player in the world, but that makes for a good starting point when trying to measure how long something like this might take. Not many people on these forums are going to be experts in the mysterious craft of bee breeding.

Oh, if it's a server you're in luck. There's always that one player. You know, the guy with ALL the bees who somehow has them in a day and a half. Buy some from him.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Just the bees aren't worth much. You'll also want the alvearies, plural, so you get a decent return out of them. In the long run, definitely worth it, but in the short term it's much faster and easier to just pillage the End.

The main problem with sheldonite is that although the End is infinite you'll soon start finding it hard to travel out to unused asteroids. A portal gun or some such helps no end (as you can easily continue on from where you left off) but if all you've got is a jetpack, and other players already got out there first, it'll be very slow going.

Actually maybe a portal gun and sheldonite really is the way to go. You can rake it in pretty quickly so long as you've easy access to fresh asteroids. Suppose it depends on whether you mind bloating up your world folder.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Can a Forestry multifarm handle IC2 crops?

Not the crossbreeding part, just the using already existing plants part. The old Forestry farms were able to do this by using a wheat farm and manually planting the IC2 crops on its farmland.

I'd test myself, but I do not currently have access to a computer capable of running Minecraft.

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to do beekeeping without having to jump around in different biomes? i really want to start but am too lazy to keep going from biome to biome

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Just the bees aren't worth much. You'll also want the alvearies, plural, so you get a decent return out of them. In the long run, definitely worth it, but in the short term it's much faster and easier to just pillage the End.

The main problem with sheldonite is that although the End is infinite you'll soon start finding it hard to travel out to unused asteroids. A portal gun or some such helps no end (as you can easily continue on from where you left off) but if all you've got is a jetpack, and other players already got out there first, it'll be very slow going.

Actually maybe a portal gun and sheldonite really is the way to go. You can rake it in pretty quickly so long as you've easy access to fresh asteroids. Suppose it depends on whether you mind bloating up your world folder.

Yeah, I played on a server and 100 percent of my iridium came from Sheldonite. I used a portal of course, and an Advanced Jetpack. It lasts so much longer than a regular jetpack, and can also go high enough to get some of those tricky asteroids.

I think I was 40-60k blocks out by the time I finished.

Although I wouldn't recommend bringing much. More than once I lost my bearings and ended up looking down and thinking it was forward. I don't know what happened, but I guess I fell into the void somehow. Keep an eye on your altitude and it shouldn't be an issue, at any rate.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
The vast majority of bees are happy in a normal sort of climate (certainly all the starting ones are), so you shouldn't have to do much travelling if that's where you're located. If you decided to settle somewhere exotic then odds are the nearest body of water is where you should set up your hives.

Keep in mind that not all the starting bees are "important". Speaking as someone who has bred valuable/diamond/radioactive/aura/etc bees, I still haven't seen a need to use wintry bees, for example.