Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I have a problem with Thaumic bees mod, particularly on the research of a specific item.

The scoop research just won't start, even after I finished all normal researches.

I wanted to know if it was a bug in the currently used version (ultimate 1.0.1, not .2), or if it is just our server that has this specific problem?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I just started FTB, and it downloaded the mod pack again for some reason and made me lose all of my saves.... What the heck?

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
I just started FTB, and it downloaded the mod pack again for some reason and made me lose all of my saves.... What the heck?
Did you have an option to download the pack or did it automatically download? Because sometimes for me anyway even if I download after installing a new pack it continues to offer the pack download even though an update hasn't occurred.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Will putting water in a steam boiler decrease the rate at which it heats up? I want to raise the temperature quickly then put water in. Also how dry does it have to be for it to explode? I want to heat it up then put water in but not have in explode.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Will putting water in a steam boiler decrease the rate at which it heats up? I want to raise the temperature quickly then put water in. Also how dry does it have to be for it to explode? I want to heat it up then put water in but not have in explode.
Test it in the middle of your base and post screenshots.

Seriously, I don't think that boiler without water heat up faster. This water tank can just be treated like internal tank in other machines.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Did you have an option to download the pack or did it automatically download? Because sometimes for me anyway even if I download after installing a new pack it continues to offer the pack download even though an update hasn't occurred.
It automatically downloaded. I don't remember if it started before or after I clicked Launch, but all my saves are gone because of it and it wasn't even an update. :(

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Test it in the middle of your base and post screenshots.

Seriously, I don't think that boiler without water heat up faster. This water tank can just be treated like internal tank in other machines.

In some experiments in which I deliberately blew up some big boilers they did not heat up any faster while empty. You may also safely extract steam at max rate the moment it hits 100 C without cooling the boiler. CovertJaguar put in more realism than many other mod authors but it is still very much a rough simulation of how boilers actually perform.

It wouldn't work in real life either. Cold water in a hot pot will give you a (!) brief flash of steam, but when it reaches equilibrium it will be lukewarm at best.

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
Whats the fastest way to "void" items from Applied Energetics storage? Seems like my sorting system malfunctioned and I've ended up with tons of cobble and dirt taking up space on my drives. I've sat up a export bus for them that put them stack at a time in a chest (that part is fast enough for me) and then a wooden pipe with autarchic gate pumping it out to a void pipe. That's when it gets slow at least with the amount of items i want to get rid of. The wooden pipe with the gate only seem to do item at a time, rather fast, but with a chest full of stacks it's slow. Is there any other way? Kinda of incinerator block I can export buss to instead?

Running Direwolf20's pack, latest version by the way.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
There's an Incinerator block added by Immibis. It destroys any item pumped to it, there's also a liquid version.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Whats the fastest way to "void" items from Applied Energetics storage? Seems like my sorting system malfunctioned and I've ended up with tons of cobble and dirt taking up space on my drives. I've sat up a export bus for them that put them stack at a time in a chest (that part is fast enough for me) and then a wooden pipe with autarchic gate pumping it out to a void pipe. That's when it gets slow at least with the amount of items i want to get rid of. The wooden pipe with the gate only seem to do item at a time, rather fast, but with a chest full of stacks it's slow. Is there any other way? Kinda of incinerator block I can export buss to instead?

Running Direwolf20's pack, latest version by the way.
I don't have any knowledge to offer on the AE end of things, but you could pump items from that chest a LOT faster if you replaced the autarchic gate with an adjacent redstone energy cell. Outputting 64MJ (if you have that kind of power) would pump out a full stack per tick. So you can probably afford to feed it much less power than that. ;)

Reactions: Chocorate

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
Not in Direwolf's pack from what I can see. I know i can add mods but i try to find a solution with the mods at hand.

I kinda did brainstorming with a friend. Instead of a Autarchic gate on the wooden pipe i put a normal one with condition to emit redstone signal when there are items in the chest. Beside that there is a redstone energy cell set up only to emit power on redstone signal. That make the cell power the gate, but only when there are actual items to pump out. It pumps items to a void pipe as fast as export buss pumps them in or a bit faster from what i can see. Burns a bit of MJs but i have MJs to burn with my double max size boiler setup. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1366759588][/DOUBLEPOST]Yapp, that's what I've just ended up doing, with a bit of automation too boot. :) If anyone have a simpler way of doing it, preferably with just one block instead of a chest, 2 pipes, a gate and a cell I would appreciate if you would share it. :) As I said, I only want to use blocks aviable in Direwolf20's pack, latest version.

Reactions: Silent_007

Schpoon

Jul 29, 2019
BEES BEES BEES

I have a setup which is extracting my excess bee's into Liquid DNA. Im just wondering how i create specific bee's out of it? EG, how can i turn a common princess into say a cultivated Princess with DNA?

Also any other cool extra bee machines i should investigate?

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
First you use an Isolator on some cultivated bees (they have a good chance of disappearing during this process so best to use excess drones) to get the Cultivated Species serum. Then you run that through a Synthesizer and Purifier to increase the number of charges and quality of the serum. Finally you use the Inoculator to apply that serum to your common princess, turning her into a cultivated princess. The other machine I use a fair amount is the Acclimatiser which lets you increase the temperature and humidity tolerances for a bee.

Reactions: Whovian

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
BEES BEES BEES

I have a setup which is extracting my excess bee's into Liquid DNA. Im just wondering how i create specific bee's out of it? EG, how can i turn a common princess into say a cultivated Princess with DNA?

1) Use an isolator (fed with DNA) to break down more excess bees in order to get their traits in a serum. Keep the serums you want (ie. a cultivated species serum).
2) Put the new (empty) serum into a synthesizer (also fed with DNA) to create more of it.
3) Take the resulting very-poor quality serum and put it in a purifier to refine it to best quality.
4) Put the purified serum in an innoculator along with a bee whose traits you wish to modify. It will take numerous attempts, so let it keep running. Also, don't use a queen; you need to refine a princess and drone separately if your goal is keep a line pure with the new trait(s).

EDIT: Gah, too slow... :p

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
BEES BEES BEES

Liquid DNA is more like a fuel for bee genetics modification. Some machines need it (and MJs) to do what they do. For changing a bee's species you first need to put one of your target species in a isolator machine. Supply it with empty serum vial and a lot of MJs (50 a tick when in use). That will extract one random trait from a bee before it dies. More if you lucky, but don't count on this. The traits are random and can be it's species or it can be slow productivity for example (if the bee have it in it's genome) if you unlucky. So you are probably going to need lot more then one of a certain bees to get it's species as a trait.

Once you have a serum of a trait you want you don't need more than one of it. You just "charge" it with a Synthesizer machine (needs both liquid DNA and MJs, 50 per tick in use) so that it can be used up to 16 times. After those uses you can just put it in the synthesizer again to recharge it.

Next you should purify the serum in a Purifier machine (needs liquid DNA and a whooping 100 MJ per tick in use). Keep it in there until the serum is best possible quality, otherwise it can harm the bees. Use synthesizer first, purifier second, as every synthesizer charge worsen the quality.

Later you just need to inoculate any bee with the serum in Inoculatior, which needs "only" 25 MJs a tick. You will need to change both the active and inactive version of the trait of a bee to be sure it both have it and passes it of to it's offspring, which will take up 2 of the serum's charges. The problem is that the machine randomly selects if it changes active or inactive gene so if you unlucky you can use up more than 2 charges per bee. You will know the bee is changed by the serum when it moved to the lower part of the interface.

Later just rinse and repeat for the drone or the princes if you want to start a new line of modified bees.

And the serums can be mixes and matched to your preferences. Want a desert bee that likes it working in a swamp and works at night or in the rain? No problem just inoculate a pair of bees with the appropriate serums and they will bread a line of bees just the way you like it. :)

By the way, put the serums with traits you don't want in an furnace, any furnace will do, to sterilize and remake them to empty ones for reuse. As I've said, you'll probably never need more than one of each good trait.

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
It automatically downloaded. I don't remember if it started before or after I clicked Launch, but all my saves are gone because of it and it wasn't even an update. :(
Well it might be a bug probably wouldn't hurt to report it. Have you checked your recycle bin the saves might be in there if it deleted them.