Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Also, wood for EU, generators or boilers/turbines, and why?
Boilers/turbines will produce a lot more EU for the same amount of solid fuel (it is 5,5 times more for largest boilers) but you must be sure that you will be able to supply sufficient amount of fuel for it to work all the time, heating boilers up is expensive.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
On a server i play at the soul shards dont drop experience and it also doesnt spawn to its max capacity when in a towny town.
If you would allow me to rephrase, to see if I understood what is written...

1. Mobs spawned by soul cages+shard don't drop XP.

2. They don't spawn as much when they are in a towny-protected area than when used in the exact same build outside.

Am I right assuming that it is what you meant?

adib

Jul 29, 2019
If you would allow me to rephrase, to see if I understood what is written...

1. Mobs spawned by soul cages+shard don't drop XP.

2. They don't spawn as much when they are in a towny-protected area than when used in the exact same build outside.

Am I right assuming that it is what you meant?
Exactly, As you can see english is not my first language. thanks for correcting/making it more clear for others.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The Minotaur's probably just a Minotaur, IDK anything about them.

Skeletons with hoes in their hands, there are spawners for those in some houses. They're only good for farming Gold through Alloy Furnaces, but they're not too hard to kill. Small blue things, just kill those too, don't remember what they are but I don't think they're too deadly.

I belive the hoes are not damaged which means you can toss them in a pluverizer also and get gold dust and wood dust.

OttoSoul

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly, As you can see english is not my first language. thanks for correcting/making it more clear for others.
Ah, well in that case, sorry for appearing rude. They may not be spawning as much in a towny area because they may not have enough room to spawn. Or the mob count is high in the town, thus the mob cap is stopping them some how. As for the XP not dropping... i suggest looking in the config files for the soul-shards and see if that is disabled some how. Ill check and see my own config files shorty... [i checked and there is no option for XP disabled...] you re not in creative mode are you?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
No problem, english is not that easy to learn, and you are at least trying.

So, for the answers.

1. You need to kill them yourself or via a turtle to get any XP out of a mob. If you drop them, or burn them via lava blades, it won't work. Just like Vanilla XP farms.

2. Towny is a plugin for Bukkit. Bukkit hates mods.
There are a lot of mods that don't work as expected with towny, like forestry peat not transforming and such.
I know that some people made it work in the past (peat, I mean), but it had to do with config files and such, and I have no idea on what to change to solve your problem.
My guess is that you are on a server that has grieffing and you can't make your XP farm outside the "town" bondaries, and if I am wrong, I would suggest that you make the trap just ouside the town, at least the spawning part.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, well in that case, sorry for appearing rude. They may not be spawning as much in a towny area because they may not have enough room to spawn. Or the mob count is high in the town, thus the mob cap is stopping them some how. As for the XP not dropping... i suggest looking in the config files for the soul-shards and see if that is disabled some how. Ill check and see my own config files shorty... [i checked and there is no option for XP disabled...] you re not in creative mode are you?
no im not in creative, mob spawning is only lower if we have per plot enabled mob spawning. if all the town is available for mob spawning it is spawning to their max capacity.

@slay_mithos I am killing the blazes with turtles, and if they are spawned outside they dont give experience either.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of Flux/Aura mechanics, what is the difference between Unstable Nodes and Dark Nodes?

As for the other two, perhaps my understanding is flawed here too:
  • Normal Nodes --- I think they naturally reduce their own Flux to Moderate, where they stabilize. Further reductions in Flux are due to spreading Flux to other Nodes.
  • Pure Nodes --- I'm not quite sure, it's one of two things: (A) They destroy Flux, without having to spread it to other Nodes or expend it through Flux effects (Wisps, etc.), or (B) they only differ from normal Nodes in that they won't stabilize until their Flux is None (but they'll generate Flux effects while reducing it).
I've heard that Unstable Nodes steadily generate Mutatio Flux, while Dark Nodes generate Malum and Mortuus Flux---meaning a constant flow of Wisps of each type. Is that the only distinction? If, e.g., I set up a Tesla Coil around a Dark Node, have I just made it superior to any other Node by giving me a constant supply of Malum and Mortuus Wisp Essences?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of Flux/Aura mechanics, what is the difference between Unstable Nodes and Dark Nodes??

1. Common Nodes are the garden-variety Aura Node you are most likely to encounter. They have no unique properties, and appear as an opalescent cloud, with a size proportional to the quantity of Vis they contain.

2.Pure Nodes naturally destroy some of the Flux they accumulate, without having to discharge it through the creation of Wisps, storms, etc. (though Flux in excess of the amount they can destroy will result in these effects). These nodes contain a bright, golden starburst in their center. They are often found in the lower trunks of Silverwood Trees.

3. Unstable Nodes generate Flux (in the form of Mutatio), and are in that sense the opposite of Pure Nodes. Unstable Nodes contain a shimmering spiral in their center, and rarely lack the unmistakeable sign of high Flux: radiant flashes of dark-purple lightning

4.Dark Nodes are sources of sinister forces, spewing forth malign and evil energies. Dark Nodes are hard to miss; they contain a large black vortex in their center, nearly as big as the opalescent cloud of the node itself. Dark Nodes can be quite dangerous, and containing their influence (or outright destroying them; see below) should be a priority for any thaumaturge who discovers one nearby.
A Unstable Node.

Stolen from
http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aura

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
1. Common Nodes are the garden-variety Aura Node you are most likely to encounter. They have no unique properties, and appear as an opalescent cloud, with a size proportional to the quantity of Vis they contain.

2.Pure Nodes naturally destroy some of the Flux they accumulate, without having to discharge it through the creation of Wisps, storms, etc. (though Flux in excess of the amount they can destroy will result in these effects). These nodes contain a bright, golden starburst in their center. They are often found in the lower trunks of Silverwood Trees.

3. Unstable Nodes generate Flux (in the form of Mutatio), and are in that sense the opposite of Pure Nodes. Unstable Nodes contain a shimmering spiral in their center, and rarely lack the unmistakeable sign of high Flux: radiant flashes of dark-purple lightning

4.Dark Nodes are sources of sinister forces, spewing forth malign and evil energies. Dark Nodes are hard to miss; they contain a large black vortex in their center, nearly as big as the opalescent cloud of the node itself. Dark Nodes can be quite dangerous, and containing their influence (or outright destroying them; see below) should be a priority for any thaumaturge who discovers one nearby.
A Unstable Node.

Stolen from
http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aura
lol, funny story: I wrote that ;)

But, as you can see, I had to be very vague in the distinction between #3 and #4 -- especially in describing Dark Nodes, where I included absolutely no description of their mechanics. I'm also a little less sure about Pure Nodes, especially after hearing somewhere (isn't it always "somewhere"?) that normal Nodes stabilized at Moderate Flux --- this opened the possibility that Pure Nodes differed in that they would go all the way down to No Flux, rather than destroying Flux outright (though I'm still 80% sure that's what they do, to a point).

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
So you added stuff to the wiki while not being sure if it was ture?

I would suggest starting a test world and get some more data.

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
Do ID conflicts always cause problems? I have installed MFR in my DW20 pack and I got 2 ID conflicts. One with glass panes and the other with ice. Neither looks like it did something. Should I continue to play in my current world?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
True. It's, rather, a glitch that allows soul conversion. That sounds right, right?
Regardless, would I need 16 tier 1 shards to get one tier 5?

Also, does anyone know of a fast way to get rid of a lot of items you already have in your inventory? Like a button that just deletes them?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Also, does anyone know of a fast way to get rid of a lot of items you already have in your inventory? Like a button that just deletes them?
You can use NEI delete mode. Deleting whole inventory may be suitable sometimes, but if you drag a stack of items on "recycle bin" in NEI interface with shift pressed while droping them, all items with the same ID and metadata will be deleted from your inventory, which is a lot more useful.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
So you added stuff to the wiki while not being sure if it was ture?
Excuse me? Read it again: Nothing in my question contradicts anything I wrote in the wiki. The problem there isn't accuracy, it's vagueness---the description for Dark Nodes doesn't distinguish it from Unstable Nodes, because "dark and malign energies" has no mechanical meaning.

Granted, something I read only recently has made me slightly iffy (I believe I said I was 80% sure) on my description of Pure Aura Nodes. But that slight uncertainty, when weighed against common understanding, is hardly enough cause to revamp a description that is in all likelihood correct.

I would suggest starting a test world and get some more data.
I may do that if I can't find any further detail elsewhere. It's a difficult thing to experiment on, though, as Flux / Aura mechanics are random, varied and complex.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I may do that if I can't find any further detail elsewhere. It's a difficult thing to experiment on, though, as Flux / Aura mechanics are random, varied and complex.

Well pure and dark would be fairly easy to test just take a lot of time to watch. Pure can be made and dark can be found runnign around for 10-15 minutes looking for a mound.

Then back up the world and make copies. You can now test side by side diffrent things to build your data set.

Or find someone that can look at the code depending on your moral view on that it could be the easyest way to get the information your looking for.

OttoSoul

Jul 29, 2019
can some one explain the "ME chest" the "locked chest" and "Digital chest" and "black hole chest" please?