Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I want to automate peat production, but not use the Forestry multiblock farm (not a fan of them, plenty of other more interesting ways to harvest crops).

How long does it take for bog earth to turn to a peat block. I know they have to be next to water, but are there any other requirements, such as being open to the sky? light level, etc, etc? My overall aim is a small redpower system with a slow timer or a light sensor for daily harvesting.

For bog earth production, whats a good compact way of filling a water bucket? Again, don't want to use a forestry carpenter to produce the bog earth. I think I saw in a DW20 Let Play that a fabricator next to a water tank with a IO block thingy would work.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I want to automate peat production, but not use the Forestry multiblock farm (not a fan of them, plenty of other more interesting ways to harvest crops).

How long does it take for bog earth to turn to a peat block. I know they have to be next to water, but are there any other requirements, such as being open to the sky? light level, etc, etc? My overall aim is a small redpower system with a slow timer or a light sensor for daily harvesting.
Light level and sky seem to be ignored, only water counts, can be flowing. I have quite good yield when harvesting bog earth every 44 minutes, this seem slow but you can move maturing bog earth with pistons (I have 11 maturing blocks and timer set to 4 minutes). For filling buckets you can just place dispenser with bucket next to the ACT and set it on timer or use MFR liquicrafter, however I use carpenters because I needed dirt. Later I went a little bit crazy with peat production: http://i.imgur.com/rfqnDHB.png .

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Bog earth matures very slowly, and more or less at random, just like plant growth. One day is guaranteed to be too short for all the peat to mature.

There's no extra requirement other than having water within 2 blocks of it (a single block of water will support two blocks of peat in every direction, for a 5x5 square).

Water buckets can be filled by deployers or even vanilla dispensers, by turtles, by liquid transposers, by Xycraft and Railcraft tanks and probably several other methods I am forgetting right now.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks. I'll do some creative testing. Dirt isn't actually a problem for me at the moment. Filled a double chest building my farm/ranch area. Using it all up to make peat seemed the best idea. Not rushing my gameplay. Going to be using peat for a constant small MJ, then eventually RP solars and windmills.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
What to do with wood?

I have an SC treefarm, and eventually I'll use a pair of 36HP-boilers to generate Eu/Mj out of planks. Bot for now I want to use just saplings to make biofuel and burn it in diesel generators and combustion engines. The issue is that it produces insane amount of wood. I can burn it in some IC2 generators and Hobbyist Engines, but I don't want to build many of those.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
What to do with wood?

I have an SC treefarm, and eventually I'll use a pair of 36HP-boilers to generate Eu/Mj out of planks. Bot for now I want to use just saplings to make biofuel and burn it in diesel generators and combustion engines. The issue is that it produces insane amount of wood. I can burn it in some IC2 generators and Hobbyist Engines, but I don't want to build many of those.
More boilers is the answer to everything.

Except for the question "what's wrong with my conductive pipes?", in which case, the answer is "You're not using conduits".

However that'll leave you with a lot of extra MJ's, what to do with that you ask?

Lava!

And with the lava?

Copper/tin/electrum!

And with those?

Man, stop asking me these bloody questions!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What to do with wood?

If you don't want to burn it or store it, you can either recycle it with IC2 for scrap/scrapbox lottery, or just void it. It's an infinite resource, so not a major loss.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
The sooner you build the boilers the happier you'll be though.
I know! I just have to go and find those cinderpearls or blazes.

OK guys, thank you. I just wondered is there are any useful things you can do with wood that I didn't notice, since there are thousands of mods in Ultimate...

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You could program a turtle to build The Great Wall Of Minecraftia. 80 blocks tall, 10 blocks wide. Using wood.

In fact, two turtles. One going east, one going west, each continuing the wall for infinity.

Imagine how impressed your friends will be! (if you remember to hide the turtles before they look)

Deor

Jul 29, 2019
Where does Voxel Map save its waypoint data so i can copy it to another PC, back it up, or change the IP of the server if my world moves?

MeinerEiner

Jul 29, 2019
Does any mod add a Block that can generate unlimited supply of whatever I want? I Was thinking about some basics like stone, bread, in my small spawn Village. Right now I go creative and refill it manually if its empty, but that's not all that much fun.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Does any mod add a Block that can generate unlimited supply of whatever I want? I Was thinking about some basics like stone, bread, in my small spawn Village. Right now I go creative and refill it manually if its empty, but that's not all that much fun.
Yes.

Extended answer: Duplicator from tubestuff.

Reactions: MeinerEiner

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
What to do with wood?

For my overflow "problems", I use two things: Factorization Barrels with the Extradimensional Storage upgrade let you store over 1000 stacks of a single item, giving you a nice buffer (to say the least). When those get filled up, or for items you don't need 64,000 of, Recycler + Mass Fabricator is your answer. Just make sure you have enough Recyclers/Overclocker Upgrades to keep up.

I have a max-sized Forestry Multifarm feeding all of its wood into Furnaces to make Charcoal, which I'm using to fuel a 36 HP Boiler (feeding steam to (A) Industrial Steam Engines leading into an "energy ring" of 16 Redstone Energy Cells, for MJ; and (B) two Steam Turbines, for EU), and to power a (single) Locomotive. That still isn't enough to use up all my Charcoal (excess Charcoal = 5.6 per minute, according to recent calculations). Still building up, though, certainly with more Locomotives once I finish writing my SuperCoolAwesome (not really, I'm a n00b) track-laying & bridge-building Turtle program.

I'm not sure whether it's better to send the Planks or the Charcoal into the Boiler. Considering I have a significant surplus of MJ (Boiler's running all the time and I'm using nowhere near all the MJ from the Industrial Steam Engines), my two TE Powered Furnaces off to the side converting everything to Charcoal are effectively free. (And even if Sawmill-to-Planks makes for better net energy out of Wood, I'm the kind of player who won't be happy till I'm running everything on Wither Spawner-renewable Coal Coke.)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm making a system that only needs to activate very infrequently. Instead of using a timer on a very long time setting, I was thinking about using the Light Sensor, so each morning the system activates (doesn't matter if a day is missed due to bad weather). But is there a way of turning the constant redstone signal into one single pulse? I've experimented with various RedPower circuits, but don't understand most of them :D

Also, is there a good way of emitting 3 pulses when one pulse is received? At the moment I've used 3 repeaters with different delays, but if there is a better setup I'd love to know.

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
I'm making a system that only needs to activate very infrequently. Instead of using a timer on a very long time setting, I was thinking about using the Light Sensor, so each morning the system activates (doesn't matter if a day is missed due to bad weather). But is there a way of turning the constant redstone signal into one single pulse? I've experimented with various RedPower circuits, but don't understand most of them :D

Also, is there a good way of emitting 3 pulses when one pulse is received? At the moment I've used 3 repeaters with different delays, but if there is a better setup I'd love to know.

Toggle latch is for redtsone on after a pulse .
About the 3 signals i forgot how it is called ..