Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Exact setup if anyone cares:

upload_2017-10-12_19-4-6.png

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
@Pyure Nice one! :) I'm not sure if my suggestions helped - I hope so - and well done! I've been watching someone playing All The Mods: Expert Mode (although not the remastered version) and I had a feeling I knew where your limitations were coming from.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Okay - so I've managed to scrape together enough material for a baby Big Reactor. I have plans for a bigger one (5x5x5 chamber), but would really like to put something in operation now. What's the best way to incrementally increase the size of a Big Reactor? Layer by layer? Symmetrically?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Okay - so I've managed to scrape together enough material for a baby Big Reactor. I have plans for a bigger one (5x5x5 chamber), but would really like to put something in operation now. What's the best way to incrementally increase the size of a Big Reactor? Layer by layer? Symmetrically?
Layer, as it's only restricted by width = depth.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Shaders? Ah I wish my worlds looked that good..

Ugh, it's so not worth it.

The new built-in one for vanilla minecraft might work out if the performance is smooth. But as it it today, and you can see a bunch of stuff with them in my showcase thread if you scroll back, looks great but is such a monumental pain in the ass that it's just not worth doing it. Especially with modded minecraft where 95% of it will look great, but 5% isn't compatible and ruins everything. Not to mention, I have an alright rig but it'll take me down from 60-120 FPS to 15-40 even with the settings down to "barely worth it"

I've grown to appreciate normal minecraft looks. Just boosted up to 32x textures, but nothing more.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Layer, as it's only restricted by width = depth.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Primo. I can work with this. (And hopefully by the time I get the first layer complete, it'll be faster to get the five control rods I'll need for the next layer.) Now I have something to do with my tank of Resonant Ender. ;D

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Ugh, it's so not worth it.

The new built-in one for vanilla minecraft might work out if the performance is smooth. But as it it today, and you can see a bunch of stuff with them in my showcase thread if you scroll back, looks great but is such a monumental pain in the ass that it's just not worth doing it. Especially with modded minecraft where 95% of it will look great, but 5% isn't compatible and ruins everything. Not to mention, I have an alright rig but it'll take me down from 60-120 FPS to 15-40 even with the settings down to "barely worth it"

I've grown to appreciate normal minecraft looks. Just boosted up to 32x textures, but nothing more.
I agree that normal Minecraft looks good but if you want an even better resolution use Faithful 64x textures. Keeps the original look of the game whilst enhancing them with things like 3D rails and ladders.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I find that I really want all my packs to use John Smith's Technician Remix and it doesn't always work, which makes me sad. It's so much easier to pick diamonds out from Silver for example.

MaxAstro

Oct 1, 2017
How can you get fluid from a network into the world? Trying to automate crystallized canola oil and I've mostly got it down but I can't figure out how to get the refined oil out of the barrel and into the world to drop seeds into it.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
How can you get fluid from a network into the world? Trying to automate crystallized canola oil and I've mostly got it down but I can't figure out how to get the refined oil out of the barrel and into the world to drop seeds into it.
actually additions has a fluid placer simply pipe the fluid you wish to place into it (the fluid placer can be redstone controlled too)

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding cobblgen with transfer nodes, I've seen the post that indicated 5:1 WIU:speed stacks is best, but a subsequent reply indicated that even faster is 5 separate nodes each with 1 stack of WIU, with the destination inventory adjacent to the node.

What is the mechanic of WIU/cobblegen that 5 nodes with 1 stack is faster than 1 node with 5 stacks? I know the node itself can only hold up to a stack of cobble but if the limit was caused by that alone, a node with 5 stacks wouldn't be faster than just 1. Does it have to do with how quickly the node ticks to deposit items? Does it have to do with how the node itself generates cobble when using WIU?

mrminesheeps

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually genuinely curious if maybe we can have Simple Generators added into FTB Beyond? It basically adds 1.7.10 style Extra Utilities generators (Mk.1 through 3) and they're really quite nice. not much else to them, just another nice power generation mod. and if it would ever be possible, maybe add mekanism? I freaking love that mod. =)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm actually genuinely curious if maybe we can have Simple Generators added into FTB Beyond? It basically adds 1.7.10 style Extra Utilities generators (Mk.1 through 3) and they're really quite nice. not much else to them, just another nice power generation mod. and if it would ever be possible, maybe add mekanism? I freaking love that mod. =)

FtB Beyond is now in "Maintenance Mode"... That means that there will be no more mods added, only update mods and/or configs that do not break anything else.

Beyond is a MC ver. 1.10.2 pack, and FtB is now actively working on 1.12 packs.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

A few things here. First off, I'm pretty sure development for Beyond is dead - major bug fixes and crash/corruption issues aside. Second, adding mods to your game is quite simple, so go ahead and add those mods if you like. Note that if you add the mods for server play, all clients will need to match.

Mekanism is a topic of some debate in official packs. The general consensus is that the mod is quite well done and enjoyable on it's own in a vaccum, but when added to packs not designed around it, significant balance issues arise. Particularly, power generation is a topic of discussion, but others believe that 5x ore processing can unbalance packs as well. It's generally agreed that Mekanism isn't quite as "drop in and go" as most other mods. If the pack is solely for personal use, obviously your taste becomes paramount.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Beyond is totally dead. Even the hard, repeatable crash of trying to open Project Red Bags was met with silence.

Mekanism is okay as long as you realize it's going to generate a LOT of resources. You'll want to make sure if you put it in, you're getting a reasonable amount of resources. I ended up with ludicrous amounts of copper since I have three different mods generating it.

If you want to add mods, the edit modpack button is up top on the Legacy Launcher. If you're on the Curse pack, you've got to go up and unlock it through the three dots. (You probably know but I had a hard time finding out.)

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
I think for Mek, if you limit its power generation and use to its own nonconvertible units (Joules) it could work much better within a pack context. I believe it integrated well into the AoE pack for instance.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
come to think of it, why are we considering power an issue? EU2 generators are in the pack, and even the more basic ones are on par with Big reactors once you put some upgrades into them (I got a single slime generator up to 4k RF/t without even putting the max number of speed upgrades in

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
And in any case if you're going to add a mod, Advanced Generators is a better option. Also IE's Biodiesel does 4k/t in it's own self-contained setup.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
it's going to generate a LOT of resources. You'll want to make sure if you put it in, you're getting a reasonable amount of resources. I ended up with ludicrous amounts of copper since I have three different mods generating it.
that is typically resolved by disabling ore gen for overlapping ores so there is only 1 type in world gen.

now @general topic
as for the general concept of "mekinism is op". it has not gotten stronger really ,but other mods have gotten stronger .
Te has Native 3x and 4x that are reasonably sustainable (3x more so then 4x), the digiminer is/has already lost some ground as in there is a block in another very commonly used mod that will do the digiminers claim to fame "mine only this ".
To the people who say x5 is op : have u ever seen how complex going from 4x to 5x , besides that look at the price to maintain(or even start) 4x ore process WITHOUT Pam's harvest-crafts salt being mass crafted(lets face it this is a cross-mod exploit) u burn through a large amount of copper and a decent amount of tin to start and that ignores how slow the smaller towers that produce the brine u need are .There is also the old standby of why not just quarry more instead?

As for "insane power production" at its end , what good is all that power at endgame if there is nothing equally power demanding outside to use such power(batterys/power spheres don't use power) and its just a bigger version of the generators u already have that are already working fine for u.