Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MaxAstro

Oct 1, 2017
Gee, thanks, now I have a whole new mod pack I have to check out, do you know what you've done...? >.>

<3 ^^

Reactions: Inaeo

MaxAstro

Oct 1, 2017
Modded crops: What needs to be grown in rows, what can be grown densely?

Most interested in knowing about cotton, flax, canola, and rice.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Why cant I disable Basalt in Quark config?!?!

What mod can possibly disable generation of Nether Fortress?

Quark allows for any and all of its pieces to be disabled, I am guessing you might be looking at the config file on a mod pack that only has the lines listed for changes from the default. If you rename the config file and launch the pack it will load the default config file and you should be able to locate the necessary lines from there.

No idea on the disabling Nether Fortress for world gen, I would have guessed it was an option in the customized world gen settings but that still only affects the overworld at this time...
https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Customized

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Has anyone here ever made botania terrasteel without sparks (and without altered recipes)?

I'm playing a pack where sparks are oddly gated; I can technically work around that by using mana spreaders. But I'd be curious to know if anyone's ever managed this, and how many it would take to successfully spawn the ingot before the ingredients despawn.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Has anyone here ever made botania terrasteel without sparks (and without altered recipes)?

I'm playing a pack where sparks are oddly gated; I can technically work around that by using mana spreaders. But I'd be curious to know if anyone's ever managed this, and how many it would take to successfully spawn the ingot before the ingredients despawn.
A terrasteel ingot takes 500000 mana to make. I think the problem with that is the fact that the Terrestrial Agglomeration Plate can only receive from so many mana spreaders.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A terrasteel ingot takes 500000 mana to make. I think the problem with that is the fact that the Terrestrial Agglomeration Plate can only receive from so many mana spreaders.
Naw, the spreaders work on a push architecture. You're right about the 500k mana, the issue is getting that much mana to the plate. Technically if I dug deeper I could probably find out how many mana per minute a spreader can send, and how long items take to despawn, and do the math.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Naw, the spreaders work on a push architecture. You're right about the 500k mana, the issue is getting that much mana to the plate. Technically if I dug deeper I could probably find out how many mana per minute a spreader can send, and how long items take to despawn, and do the math.
Items take 5 minutes to despawn. It would take a lot.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019

Looks like you are going to have to use some lenses to get that to work in a timely manner, I am guessing a setup of 4 seperate pools with mana spreaders containing potency lenses should be able to do the trick. Not sure if you would need to combine that lense with another one and if so which one would help, but a quick creative build will be able to verify. Be sure to let us know your results.

*Edit* Forgot to ask, do you have access to Elven or Gaia mana spreaders as they hold more and send more per burst as well.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Looks like you are going to have to use some lenses to get that to work in a timely manner, I am guessing a setup of 4 seperate pools with mana spreaders containing potency lenses should be able to do the trick. Not sure if you would need to combine that lense with another one and if so which one would help, but a quick creative build will be able to verify. Be sure to let us know your results.

*Edit* Forgot to ask, do you have access to Elven or Gaia mana spreaders as they hold more and send more per burst as well.
I think zBob's onto something here - I think a Potency combined with a Velocity, and distances kept short, would maximise mana throughput.

I suspect Elven and Gaia might be out of reach, if Pyure needs to make terrasteel to get the Portal, but I could be entirely wrong.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

I'm not actually sure if I have access to lenses right now, I decided to omit them from the math. I can tell you for sure I cannot do Elven yet.

I think zBob's onto something here - I think a Potency combined with a Velocity, and distances kept short, would maximise mana throughput.

I suspect Elven and Gaia might be out of reach, if Pyure needs to make terrasteel to get the Portal, but I could be entirely wrong.
Looks like potency doubles the pulse size but worsens the pulse speed by 15%. Overall its still a gain though at reasonable distances (which I'd be attempting to minimize)

I found a useful site, hopefully still sorta up to date: https://ftbwiki.org/Tutorial:Numbers_of_Botania

I *think* that I could make an ingot with around 31 mana spreaders (no lenses)

My math:
* a pulse carries 160 mana. I figure, conservatively, a mana spreader at a 8 block distance is going to fire a pulse every 3 seconds (I think its less than that, but lets be safe). So that's 160/3 = 54 mana per second (rounding up...conservatively)
* That's equal to 54(mana/s)*60(seconds)*5(minutes)=16,200 mana per 5 minutes (how much mana a spreader can share before the item despawns)
* 500,000 / 16,200 = ~31 mana spreaders feeding the conglomeration plate (plus the spreaders that are feeding those in chain)

Sounds like a fun project for tonight.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm not actually sure if I have access to lenses right now, I decided to omit them from the math. I can tell you for sure I cannot do Elven yet.

Looks like potency doubles the pulse size but worsens the pulse speed by 15%. Overall its still a gain though at reasonable distances (which I'd be attempting to minimize)
I had a feeling!

If you don't have lenses, it sounds like it might still be doable, which is great - if you do, potency will definitely help as long as the distance is kept short. I mention velocity only as a combination with potency, because while it lowers the amount of mana carried by the burst, its only by 25% (presumably that's calculated in total) whereas the potency doubles the amount, so if you say the default is 160, double that is 320, and then -25% is 240 - still a respectable amount. BUT, the velocity also doubles the speed of the burst, which (if I'm understanding the mechanics correctly - a spreader can fire again once the previous burst has hit) means that it would go from firing every 3 seconds as in your example to firing every 1.5 seconds (roughly, at a guess) - and that is a real boost in the mana transfer rate.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I had a feeling!

If you don't have lenses, it sounds like it might still be doable, which is great - if you do, potency will definitely help as long as the distance is kept short. I mention velocity only as a combination with potency, because while it lowers the amount of mana carried by the burst, its only by 25% (presumably that's calculated in total) whereas the potency doubles the amount, so if you say the default is 160, double that is 320, and then -25% is 240 - still a respectable amount. BUT, the velocity also doubles the speed of the burst, which (if I'm understanding the mechanics correctly - a spreader can fire again once the previous burst has hit) means that it would go from firing every 3 seconds as in your example to firing every 1.5 seconds (roughly, at a guess) - and that is a real boost in the mana transfer rate.
Yeah I'm definitely eyeing up the velocity/potency combo, if I have access to it. Find out in 6 hours or so :p

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Its definitely doable, unless your pack has made significant changes to 'vanilla' botania. The key is actually in Gamer's comment- 'a spreader can fire again once the previous burst has hit'. The best way to get mucho mana to a destination is with a close spreader, lenses be dammed. In your example for instance, a ring of 30 spreaders at range 8, shoots at the same time as a ring of 15 spreaders at range 4. Over time both setups get the same amount of mana to the destination (or nearly so, accounting for burst generation time).

TL&DR - Done it for years as I hate going to the nether- 4 lensless spreaders at a range of 1, two mana pools at least one quarter full, 4 or so minutes, first elf on the block with terraequipment.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The Potency lens problem can be fixed by spider webbing spreaders into them. The final distance is less important if the spreaders are very close to the plate.

InThayne: No need for the nether. I'm pretty sure Thermal Expansion can make Blaze powder for sparks, but I'd have to check the recipe. (I agree about hating the nether, but that's years of awful spawns.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Its definitely doable, unless your pack has made significant changes to 'vanilla' botania. The key is actually in Gamer's comment- 'a spreader can fire again once the previous burst has hit'. The best way to get mucho mana to a destination is with a close spreader, lenses be dammed. In your example for instance, a ring of 30 spreaders at range 8, shoots at the same time as a ring of 15 spreaders at range 4. Over time both setups get the same amount of mana to the destination (or nearly so, accounting for burst generation time).

TL&DR - Done it for years as I hate going to the nether- 4 lensless spreaders at a range of 1, two mana pools at least one quarter full, 4 or so minutes, first elf on the block with terraequipment.
Yep, I also referred to the speed in terms of burst arrival (which is why I quoted 3 seconds per burst, figuring I'd need that much distance to get tons of spreaders pointing at the same block)

Its interesting if the 1-block distance makes that BIG a difference though. Looking forward to trying it out.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Yah, short range definitely wins. Just thinking, a range 8 burst will get to its target at the same time as the 8th burst from a range 1 spreader. There is probably some burst generation time loss but this ratio holds reasonably true. I like to keep things out at range 2 or more for the light show however. For quick rune and potion cooking, nothing beats a couple adjacent spreaders constabeaming mana directly into the altar.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yah, short range definitely wins. Just thinking, a range 8 burst will get to its target at the same time as the 8th burst from a range 1 spreader. There is probably some burst generation time loss but this ratio holds reasonably true. I like to keep things out at range 2 or more for the light show however. For quick rune and potion cooking, nothing beats a couple adjacent spreaders constabeaming mana directly into the altar.
I did 4 mana spreaders, 1 had a potency/velocity lens (cuz why not). Took a while, but victory, I got terrasteel.

I always knew distance was a major factor but it was interesting witnessing just how considerable a difference it can make.