Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Because it requires a pickaxe and it falls to the ground. Those are the reasons it was worth having. You could break it with your hands and instead if dropping, it went right into your inventory. I see almost no reason to use these ever, and they used to be one of my favorite things.

I'm sorry, but extra utilities 2 is a downgrade from the original. For the most part, I'm loving the 1.10 stuff, but this one has been disappointing.

Okay, so - once one is aware of the block's behavior, it's a simple matter to compensate. Since you're using an Angel Block, you probably have the ability to fly (otherwise, you'd be pillaring or scaffolding out to 'where-ever'). Place the block one level higher than your intended structure, and place the first structural block directly underneath it. Even if you're using it to start a water build, you've got this ability, although having a few (2-5) disposable blocks in your inventory might be necessary to get up on top of the block. Stand on the Angel Block and break it with a pick, and it'll pop into your inventory.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
scaffolding for my scaffolding?

I don't have the ability to fly. They are part of my relatively early game rotation and used to be able to to be used as a clunky way to get up to wherever I need to go.

I don't like the way the angel blocks are now. I'm allowed to. I liked them because of the way they used to be. Part of the reason I made the jump to 1.10.2 was because I was comforted by the notion that they were still in the game. That's a lie, they were replaced by something else that looks kinda like them. They are now useless to me.

Edit: I am literally tempted to learn how to mod by fixing them. I'll call them devil blocks or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lethosos

xBlizzDevious

Jul 29, 2019

I knew I wasn't losing my mind!

upload_2017-4-17_20-44-33.png

EDIT: THIS THING IS F****** AWESOME! (Sorry). Literally, hook it up to AE2 (or Refined Storage) with a storage bus (external storage), set the priority as highest on your network for item storage and then all of your non-stackable items will stack gloriously in this magical block. To be fair, that recipe is a little cheap, don't you think? Considering you need a Nether Star for a fully upgraded normal YABBA barrel, basic resources + obsidian seems very cheap.

EDIT 2: Well... Maybe not. It seems to "duplicate" items? As in, I put in a few hundred bows, chest plates, etc and now I seem to have a few thousand. Secondly, as soon as I try and remove something from said anti-barrel (via the ME system), it glitches out the ME system entirely until I reload the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henry Link

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Is there a relatively simple waypont/portal mod in Beyond? And if not, anyone have any recommendations for 1.10.2 that I could add?

I was using colorful portals on my last 1.7 pack but it doesn't look like that supports 1.10.2 yet. I'm using terrain generators that put things together in proper climates, but I want to set up waypoints in different temperature regions down the line, and I'd rather not turn that into a huge time sink.

xBlizzDevious

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a relatively simple waypont/portal mod in Beyond? And if not, anyone have any recommendations for 1.10.2 that I could add?

I was using colorful portals on my last 1.7 pack but it doesn't look like that supports 1.10.2 yet. I'm using terrain generators that put things together in proper climates, but I want to set up waypoints in different temperature regions down the line, and I'd rather not turn that into a huge time sink.

RFTools' Matter Transmitter and Reciever is probably what you are after. You can use the Charged Porter (or advanced) to teleport from anywhere too, if you want.

If on SP or host a server yourself, you can use Journeymap's waypoints or FTBUtils' /home [name] or /warp [name] commands.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Hmm.. I'll look into that RFTools method, but reading the descriptions, I'm not a huge fan. Not only do these require a constant stream of RF, but if there isn't enough power, It will kill you. I'm just picturing myself porting to a desert to pick up some sand, but dying because I didn't pay attention to the RF on the receiver and it unloaded that chunk, along with its solar panels or whatever that was feeding it, then I die and have to walk 5 and a half km to get my things.

What I liked about colorful portals was that there was no upkeep. It's a little bit of effort to set up, just enough to be in-game immersive but not enough that it's a major project every time I want to set up a spot. But, this will do if there really isn't a perfect fit somewhere else. Thanks!

I am aware of the journeymap method but it's too easy to abuse. Completely removes any sense of danger in exploration, so even though I run SP and/or will be running the server, that's a rule I can't bend.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
i'm not sure it will kill you, but i understand your concern. if you have sgcraft you would be able to do that but that may be a bit expensive for your tastes.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not familiar with it at all, so if it doesn't kill you, I'd defer to anyone else. But the description on the wiki I read (and this was ftbwiki, so maybe it's out of date info) said it insta-kills you if there isn't enough power on either end. Not that 5k RF is really all that hard to maintain, so maybe I'm being a bit of a baby about it.

I'm looking into that sgcraft thing now. it looks neat! Probably a bit more involved than I was looking for, but still neat! :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm not familiar with it at all, so if it doesn't kill you, I'd defer to anyone else. But the description on the wiki I read (and this was ftbwiki, so maybe it's out of date info) said it insta-kills you if there isn't enough power on either end. Not that 5k RF is really all that hard to maintain, so maybe I'm being a bit of a baby about it.

I'm looking into that sgcraft thing now. it looks neat! Probably a bit more involved than I was looking for, but still neat! :)
If you're talking about the matter transporter from RFTools, yeah, it will usually insta-kill you if you don't have power on the receiving end. A few other considerations:
1) There's an accompanying tool that will save your life in the event of a bad transport. I forget what its called, but it exists.
2) there's an accompanying machine that will test the destination to make sure its a safe transport (when you're doing machine to machine transportation)
3) There's an awesome gizmo you can carry with you to transport to a receiver from anywhere.

I'm a big fan of the whole setup personally, but you are right that you need to be pretty confident that the receiver is powered.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Hmm.. That does actually sound kind of interesting. I will check it out before dismissing it for sure. I would think that maybe just claiming and loading that chunk and setting the destinations up with some basic solar panels might just be enough to be fine. That gizmo on number 3 actually sounds pretty awesome, too.

Edit: Think I just found what I'm looking for in telepads, but I might actually give this RF tools thing a legit try anyway...

Last edited:

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Hmm.. I'll look into that RFTools method, but reading the descriptions, I'm not a huge fan. Not only do these require a constant stream of RF, but if there isn't enough power, It will kill you. I'm just picturing myself porting to a desert to pick up some sand, but dying because I didn't pay attention to the RF on the receiver and it unloaded that chunk, along with its solar panels or whatever that was feeding it, then I die and have to walk 5 and a half km to get my things.

What I liked about colorful portals was that there was no upkeep. It's a little bit of effort to set up, just enough to be in-game immersive but not enough that it's a major project every time I want to set up a spot. But, this will do if there really isn't a perfect fit somewhere else. Thanks!

I am aware of the journeymap method but it's too easy to abuse. Completely removes any sense of danger in exploration, so even though I run SP and/or will be running the server, that's a rule I can't bend.
The "Upkeep" for the RFTools teleportation is per teleport, not a constant drain. The amount used is based on how far you go, up to a cap (which is also used for interdimensional transit) There is a matter booster that should prevent death in the case you do forget to power the receiver.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Eh, I thought about it. That telepads mod is basically one device made out of glass, ender pearls and some common mats. You put em on the ground and when you step on one, it lets you pick any other telepad to port to. There's an upgrade that makes it interdimensional. I'm ok with that, I think. I appreciate it, and if I ever end up doing Beyond Expert mode when it releases, I'll do it RFTools style.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015

If you're talking about the matter transporter from RFTools, yeah, it will usually insta-kill you if you don't have power on the receiving end. A few other considerations:
1) There's an accompanying tool that will save your life in the event of a bad transport. I forget what its called, but it exists.
2) there's an accompanying machine that will test the destination to make sure its a safe transport (when you're doing machine to machine transportation)
3) There's an awesome gizmo you can carry with you to transport to a receiver from anywhere.

I'm a big fan of the whole setup personally, but you are right that you need to be pretty confident that the receiver is powered.
only the receiving end can possibly kill you in this case and if the sending side has a matter booster placed next to the transmitter then it wont insta kill you (assuming the other side is not an rftools dimension but that is a different topic) the negative with the booster teleing u to an uncharged receiver is take 1 or 2 hearts of dmg and then take a few hits of weak wither dmg(do note teleing with a charged porter aka hand held teleporter can not benefit from a matter booster) . if the transmitter does not have enough power it simply will not function/start the tele nothing else (rf cost is per use not constant)
no confidence needed .

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
only the receiving end can possibly kill you in this case and if the sending side has a matter booster placed next to the transmitter then it wont insta kill you (assuming the other side is not an rftools dimension but that is a different topic) the negative with the booster teleing u to an uncharged receiver is take a 1 or 2 hearts of dmg and then take a few hits of weak wither dmg)(do note teleing with a charged porter aka hand held teleporter can not benefit from a matter booster) . if the transmitter does not have enough power it simply will not function/start the tele nothing else (rf cost is per use not constant)
no confidence needed .
This is basically everything I said above, except you know the names of the machines, and I couldn't remember them.

I think one correction is required: As you said, the porter doesn't benefit from the booster. Does the receiver still need to be powered when using the hand porter? If so, you do need confidence that the receiver end is powered.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
wrong wording , but i do understand the lack of desire to do certain builds
p.s de's(draconic evolution) portals/dislocator-pedistals are probably the easiest to use and dont have upkeep

Lack of brain power, not ability. I "work" full time so some days, I'm braindead. I was just teasin them because I made my mind up a long time before that :p

But, this game is so wide open on how it can be played, there are different aspects that have different appeals at different times. I'm in no way saying that my choice to go with the simple one is the better choice. Actually the idea of turning raw RF into a pseudo realistic interdimensional travel system totally excited the little mad scientist that lives in my brain. His name is Merle.

But, for me, in the game I'm currently playing, when I explore, it's because I'm looking to see the view for a good while, and I want a simple device I can set and leave there until I want to go back. Journey map's method worked,but was just too easy. I was using it to dig a hole then port back to the top, or port down some stairs because it was 2 seconds faster. Skip too much of the game that way.

So, the RF tools method actually looks pretty cool. It's just not where I'm at on this playthrough. I'm still exploring the landscape, literally and in terms of the spirit of the mods out there. Merle is gonna have to wait for expert mode.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
If you opt to add a mod, look at Waystones. Simple, versatile, and comparatively low tech.

https://mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/245755

I saw that one once before but didn't run into it today. That link appears to be broken as well. I'll look into both, see what I like. The one I found sounds perfect on paper, but don't know until I look and compare. You've given quite a few good recommendations so far.

Edit: yup, you win again. This one's perfect...er.

Last edited: