Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yijare

Jul 29, 2019
Your computer is a little low on RAM to handle much in the line of mods. (And I've been there with the kid-schedule.) Try out the vanilla game first off, and see if you like it. There's still tons of stuff you can do. If you like it and want to get into mods, you'll want to add a bit more RAM - I have 8 Gb, and haven't had much trouble with most of the 1.7 modpacks.
SkyFactory 3 balooned to 14 Gig, because of my extensive use of Chisels n Bits, but yeah, you want to have a tad more than 5 gig avaible solely for minecraft.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
SkyFactory 3 balooned to 14 Gig, because of my extensive use of Chisels n Bits, but yeah, you want to have a tad more than 5 gig avaible solely for minecraft.

If you ever manage that 1000 diameter sphere, I'd love to see it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
how viable is 1.10 for modding at this point? It looks like I might be back to the drawing board and I'm not sure if it's best to stick with 1.7.10 or move up to 1.10.2.

This may not be a simple question with a simple answer, but maybe it is. I'm looking for kind of in general. My number 1 priority is buildcraft and pneumaticcraft, but I did look like I'd have to miss out on openblocks, and I'm not sure I can go without my angel blocks or gravestone, lol

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
This may not be a simple question with a simple answer, but maybe it is. I'm looking for kind of in general. My number 1 priority is buildcraft and pneumaticcraft, but I did look like I'd have to miss out on openblocks, and I'm not sure I can go without my angel blocks or gravestone, lol
Angel blocks are in still in Extra Utilies. And there are gravestone mods out there as well. I'm using "Gravestone Mod" by EuhDawson in my custom pack.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh, that's extra utils? I can't keep track, lol.

I guess there's no real way to know if it'll work other than to look. Does 1.10 run more efficiently or anything to make it worth it, too?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I think that is more of tradeoff on the 1.10 performance. It seems to run smoother and better but at the cost of requiring more RAM & CPU to run the packs.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Hm.. Sounds like I'min for 20 more hours of testing and configuring again! lol.

This game, man. Worth it, but yeesh.

Edit: oh, no. I can't cut out openblocks. I use like all of that... xp shower heads, the hang glider, sleeping bag, fans...

Welp, guess that solves that connundrum!

Edit: Or does it. Maybe I relied too much on that one. PLus there's this:

https://builds.openmods.info/view/1.10.2/

which sounds super unstable, but maybe that'll work.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
how viable is 1.10 for modding at this point? It looks like I might be back to the drawing board and I'm not sure if it's best to stick with 1.7.10 or move up to 1.10.2.

Buildcraft is skipping to 1.11 from what I've heard, so if that's a deal breaker, you're best staying in 1.7 for a while. Not sure of the status on PneumaticCraft past 1.7. Many parts of OpenBlocks can be found in standalone mods in 1.10. Isn't the Angel Block from XU? XU has undergone a major overhaul, but XU2 now has a more progressive play (IMO).

To simple answer your original question, modding for 1.10 is quite viable, and is in fact the version on which most new packs are being released. That said, mod and pack development is still in the early stages, so some features are missing and stability isn't as rock solid as the long polished 1.7 platform.

It's a matter of preference for most, and hardware for others (1.7 is lighter than 1.10 on system requirements from what I've seen/experienced).

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I have the hardware covered, but buildcraft is an absolute dealbreaker, so it looks like I'll stick with 1.7.10 for now.

I looked down the list on openblocks, too. I found some of the things as standalone mods, but I just use way too much of it. Some of it is incredibly OP, like those vacuum hoppers, but I don't necessarily need it to be balanced. I will miss too many of those.

1.7.10 it is for now, and we'll think about going up some day when this map breaks on me, lol.

Tianyulong

Oct 21, 2016
Does anyone know of a modpack that edits the angel ring recipe? I found to my horror that replacing the recipe for the angel ring doesn't replace the recipe of its variants, so I was hoping to copy the code from somewhere, since I don't know how to get rid of the lassos with mobs in them through minetweaker.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OK. So, if there's no buildcraft for 1.10.2, is there something else someone could recommend that does similar things? Mainly the quarry and item sorters, primarily.

edit: I'm so picky I probably will stick with buildcraft, but it couldn't hurt to know if I'm just keeping myself stuck in the past

edit 2: alternate question, would there be a noticeable smoothness difference if I went to 1.8.9?

I've really just never been happy with the way 1.7.10 looks and feels sometimes.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Why is it ...

That the server is a simple .jar program that can be run from a single file, as a simple command line, even modded with forge, and lots of mods ...

BUT

The client is an absolute mess that needs a command line assembled from json files, modified more by the existance of some mods, that cannot be run from a simple command line, and requires a GUI to assemble everything and then different GUIs launch things slightly differently and some launchers break some mods, and simple println logging has become broken.

AAARRRRGGHGHGHGH.

Or, is there a simple command-line launcher for the client that does not need a gui?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Does anyone know of a modpack that edits the angel ring recipe? I found to my horror that replacing the recipe for the angel ring doesn't replace the recipe of its variants, so I was hoping to copy the code from somewhere, since I don't know how to get rid of the lassos with mobs in them through minetweaker.
CraftTweaker would be what I would use for this. Which is the minetweaker replacment in 1.10.2. I don't think any other mod will do this.

Tianyulong

Oct 21, 2016
CraftTweaker would be what I would use for this. Which is the minetweaker replacment in 1.10.2. I don't think any other mod will do this.
You misunderstand my question. I'm already using Crafttweaker, and trying to remove the angel ring recipe, but it only removed the default angel ring recipe, and not its varients. I know I can get rid of each variant's recipes individually, but I don't know how to write lassos with ghasts&bats in them. Is there any modpack that has used Mine or Crafttweaker to get rid of the angel ring and replace it with a new recipe? If there is, I can just copy the code into my scripts folder.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
You misunderstand my question. I'm already using Crafttweaker, and trying to remove the angel ring recipe, but it only removed the default angel ring recipe, and not its varients. I know I can get rid of each variant's recipes individually, but I don't know how to write lassos with ghasts&bats in them. Is there any modpack that has used Mine or Crafttweaker to get rid of the angel ring and replace it with a new recipe? If there is, I can just copy the code into my scripts folder.
In a single player cheat world get all of the variants and use the /mt hand on each one. When you use /mt hand it places the text it puts in game chat on to the clipboard as well so you can paste the text into the text editor you are using on the script file.

For example <extrautils2:angelring> is the plain gold angel ring and <extrautils2:angelring:2> is the ring with the butterfly wings. So you just need to remove each individual recipe and replace it with recipe similar to what is without the lassos.

Reactions: Tianyulong

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Is there a mod that kinda reigns in things like copper ore coming from 4 different mods? I know there are machines that will convert them, but I'm kind hoping for a mod that fixes it all in the first place. I feel like if that existed, it'd be in every mod pack, but it can't hurt to ask.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Is there a mod that kinda reigns in things like copper ore coming from 4 different mods? I know there are machines that will convert them, but I'm kind hoping for a mod that fixes it all in the first place. I feel like if that existed, it'd be in every mod pack, but it can't hurt to ask.
I don't know that there's a mod that unifies ores during startup. But most mods at least have configuration items to allow you to control their worldgen.

When making personal packs, I'll often boot up the world to see if I have any remaining duplicate ores, then pick the one I want to keep and go to the other mods config files and disable the rest. Then I regenerate the world for a real playthrough.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That's a solid plan. I might do just that! I even have a world on the same seed that I built enough to runa quarry, so I have a chest full of examples...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Another quickie: When I made this new mod pack, there looks to be a whole second equipment inventory on a new tab on the regular inventory screen. Only things I added were RFtools, simply jetpacks, etc. and I was under the impression those only made things that go in normal slots. Any idea what these might be for?