Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
C

Chewser

Ok, so I started the game, I got most of the ores and ingots ready, I just don't know which mods I must start such as Mekanism, Industrial Craft, etc.
Can u tell me which mod I must focus in order to get started on automating on stuff?

singapore123

Jul 29, 2019
Getting back to modded Minecraft after a few years, and the number of changes in the mods in both content and number is enormous o_O

The two packs I'm eyeing on now is Infinity Lite and HermitPack, and before deciding which pack to play, I would just like to know any major differences in them/pros and cons. Thanks!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Hermitcraft has a different selection of mods from Infinity Lite (I assume you're looking at the 1.10.2 versions, BtW) and so far exhibits a bit of "freeze" lag on my system. I have yet to experience this lag with Infinity Lite but Hermitcraft has been out a couple of week longer and I've played it more. Beyond that, I'd say try them both... You can have multiple MC instances, after all :)

To confuse things even more, the Direwolf20 1.10.2 pack will be out as soon as next week if all goes well in testing... That may be the better way to learn the new and changed mods, as Direwolf will use the pack for his new Let'sPlay series and will make every 10th episode available to download and explore what you see in the videos. Another point I only recently learned is that the Direwolf packs are minimally customized... He wants to teach how the mods work as close to the mod author's intentions as possible.

Reactions: PierceSG

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I started the game, I got most of the ores and ingots ready, I just don't know which mods I must start such as Mekanism, Industrial Craft, etc.
Can u tell me which mod I must focus in order to get started on automating on stuff?

It's really up to you. The mod I always begin with is Thermal Expansion, however that mod isn't even released yet for the Minecraft v1.10 modpacks. The two mods you named - Mekanism and IC2 - are both acceptable methods of "getting started". Each obviously has its own machines and procedures, and even their own power generation and power supply methods.

Basically, you just pick a mod, let's say Mekanism, and then work your way through the mod's item list. For me, I like to find a good youtube series on a mod (Direwolf20's Mod Spotlight series, for instance), and then I just copy whatever they show us and that's how I learn a mod. I also locate the mod's wiki on the web, make a link to the page, and constantly refer to it while I'm playing. Read the page for each of the item's mods and you'll be an expert in no time! Well, a little bit of time I suppose... but it's all "fun time", the learning process. :) Good luck with it. And remember - once you've learned Mekanism's way of doing stuff, then it's probably time to learn the IC2 way... with so many different and unique mods, the fun just never ends. :) Also, all mods can be made to work together, so don't be afraid to experiment and try some stuff on your own!

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a mod that lets me hook up JABBA Barrels and chests into an interface that is not AE? I'm on Sky Factory 2.5.

singapore123

Jul 29, 2019
Hermitcraft has a different selection of mods from Infinity Lite (I assume you're looking at the 1.10.2 versions, BtW) and so far exhibits a bit of "freeze" lag on my system. I have yet to experience this lag with Infinity Lite but Hermitcraft has been out a couple of week longer and I've played it more. Beyond that, I'd say try them both... You can have multiple MC instances, after all :)

To confuse things even more, the Direwolf20 1.10.2 pack will be out as soon as next week if all goes well in testing... That may be the better way to learn the new and changed mods, as Direwolf will use the pack for his new Let'sPlay series and will make every 10th episode available to download and explore what you see in the videos. Another point I only recently learned is that the Direwolf packs are minimally customized... He wants to teach how the mods work as close to the mod author's intentions as possible.

Ah, Direwolf. Watched him quite a lot with his Endermen shenanigans before I stopped modded MC. Well, that'll be great! I'll try all of them then, thanks! XD

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Is there a mod that lets me hook up JABBA Barrels and chests into an interface that is not AE? I'm on Sky Factory 2.5.
Got Logistics Pipes? That's about the only mod out there that provides an AE-like interface (as far as I know, at least), aside from Refined Storage and AE itself.

Reactions: jdog1408

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So what happened to KingLemming and his CoFH team? Are they still active, and if so, what in the world is taking them so long to release Thermal Expansion for Minecraft v1.10.x? My guess is... that team is dying or dead, and so is that mod. sigh

Even if we never see it again, Thermal Expansion gets my vote for entry into the modded Minecraft Hall of Fame. It used to be an absolute essential, couldn't live without it... but I guess the only constant is change. Life goes on, but it will never be the same.

Last edited:

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
So what happened to KingLemming and his CoFH team? Are they still active, and if so, what in the world is taking them so long to release Thermal Expansion for Minecraft v1.10.x? My guess is... that team is dying or dead, and so is that mod. sigh

Even if we never see it again, Thermal Expansion gets my vote for entry into the modded Minecraft Hall of Fame. It used to be an absolute essential, couldn't live without it... but I guess the only constant is change. Life goes on, but it will never be the same.
I think Direwolf said that they abandoned the mods, at least for now. They are not dead, just likely not motivated enough to update.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think Direwolf said that they abandoned the mods, at least for now. They are not dead, just likely not motivated enough to update.

Mind boggling. But... then again, I guess I understand losing interest. As a player, I also no longer have the same level of fun playing the game (I mean, is Thaumcraft REALLY still fun after you've done it for the tenth time?), so I would imagine it's the same for mod developers.

So I guess I understand... but it still boggles my mind that *THE* essential mod won't even be in the next iteration of modpacks. As I said before, the only constant in life is "change", so I don't know why it should boggle my mind... but it does.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Ah, Direwolf. Watched him quite a lot with his Endermen shenanigans before I stopped modded MC. Well, that'll be great! I'll try all of them then, thanks! XD

Also, you might be interested in knowing that Direwolf is livestreaming now... Twitch asked him to help beta test some things last month and he says he likes it a lot.

His schedule (subject to change, of course) is Thursday and Sunday around 6PM Eastern. We learned about the pack in a stream and we've heard about some of the mods included but he keeps saying "no spoilers" :D

He's also recording mod spotlights on Twitch (copied to YouTube a couple of days later) and says he will do completely new spotlights on even older mods when they become available since so much has changed since the last spotlights.

GravityLens

Jul 29, 2019
How do I find out the ore levels for HermitPack 1.10.2?

Looked all over. Is it sitting in a config somewhere?

edit: Turns out there is a JEI entry on it, just right click on any ore in JEI and it will tell you the level distribution. Holy shit modded minecraft has gotten amazing.

Last edited:

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
They're being worked on by someone else, the original team has stopped work on it

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I hope they keep things pretty much the same. I've always used TE as my "foundation" for ores for world gen, and produced items (regardless of mod) via heavy Minetweaking.
It's one of the reasons I won't be moving onto 1.10. There's nothing there really that makes me want to move on.

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
I hope they keep things pretty much the same. I've always used TE as my "foundation" for ores for world gen, and produced items (regardless of mod) via heavy Minetweaking.
It's one of the reasons I won't be moving onto 1.10. There's nothing there really that makes me want to move on.
I believe they're directly porting it. As for you not wanting to move to 1.10.2, idk what to tell ya. The full move is likely going to happen fairly soon as mod devs stop working on 1.7 and most have already stopped.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
i love TE as much as the next guy, its my main tech mod but i learned a few versions ago you cant get attached to a mod, you never know when they will give it up. We have multiple options to choose from, Ender IO probably being the next choice with most people i just hope the mod dev will make a way to speed up the machines more then they are currently.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
For me it's Mekanism which fills the place of TE in 1.10.
Most modders will have to move to new versions, because Forge team deprecates support for old versions, and 1.7 has been deprecated. So it's a matter of time until they update, maybe they'll skip 1.10 and go for 1.11, which is due on Monday.

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
i love TE as much as the next guy, its my main tech mod but i learned a few versions ago you cant get attached to a mod, you never know when they will give it up. We have multiple options to choose from, Ender IO probably being the next choice with most people i just hope the mod dev will make a way to speed up the machines more then they are currently.
Yeah exactly it's the same case with any mod. Dartcraft got left behind in 1.6 which is one I know some people missed, and a ton is gonna be left behind in 1.7. One thing that's good about it is that we get NEW content. I'd prefer TE to be left behind than to get a direct port. The point of going to a new mc version after so long in 1.7 is to have new content.