Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
The trick is understanding that the MFR Harvester thinks that all those trees are connected.
It'll go through connected logs, and leaves, and anything "close enough" and then start at the farthest away place that it can reach.
When combined with how HUGE the large oak can grow, you get yourself quite the chance of a breakout.

Leave yourself a firewall of 4 blocks on all side of the area you are raising trees in. MORE if you are using oak, much more. Try 10 or 12.

Make sure that there is no logs of any kind, or leaves of any kind in your buildings in the area.

And above all, don't panic.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
The trick is understanding that the MFR Harvester thinks that all those trees are connected.
It'll go through connected logs, and leaves, and anything "close enough" and then start at the farthest away place that it can reach.
When combined with how HUGE the large oak can grow, you get yourself quite the chance of a breakout.

Leave yourself a firewall of 4 blocks on all side of the area you are raising trees in. MORE if you are using oak, much more. Try 10 or 12.

Make sure that there is no logs of any kind, or leaves of any kind in your buildings in the area.

And above all, don't panic.

That actually makes a lot of sense. The area where I set up the tree farm is in a jungle biome, I deliberately chose that because I wanted to make the industrial aspects of tree farming look like a small tree plantation in the jungle. But there is a *lot* of undergrowth; shrubs, scrub oak, and vines. I'm guessing that's what connected all the trees that got razored down to harvester level. I'll give some thought to building a moat, or some kind of firebreak around the tree farm. Maybe I'll just move the operation underground, make it look like a hydroponics setup.

Thanks!

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
4dbb46ce-f970-4230-9b67-380f9854bdf8

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
RFtools 1.7 I am trying to make a mining world. using dimlets Terrian flat and dungeons. I didn't get what i wanted so i extracted them and put then back in. i get the same world ID number is there a way to reuse dimlets?

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
RFtools 1.7 I am trying to make a mining world. using dimlets Terrian flat and dungeons. I didn't get what i wanted so i extracted them and put then back in. i get the same world ID number is there a way to reuse dimlets?
if u use the exact same dimlets it will give the exact same world , the easy way to have rftools consider it a new one is to add a (/a different) digit dimlet these are craftable and very cheap to craft (redstone paper maybe a nether quartz)

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
if u use the exact same dimlets it will give the exact same world , the easy way to have rftools consider it a new one is to add a (/a different) digit dimlet these are craftable and very cheap to craft (redstone paper maybe a nether quartz)
thx

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
So here's an odd question. Are there mods out there that help people who are colorblind? Was playing ferret business and noticed that till I raised the reputation to a certain level in better questing, I couldn't see the numbers. I lost them in the background color.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So here's an odd question. Are there mods out there that help people who are colorblind? Was playing ferret business and noticed that till I raised the reputation to a certain level in better questing, I couldn't see the numbers. I lost them in the background color.
There are some mods that have configs to help with that in their own blocks and GUIs. Thermal Expansion has one for its color-reliant GUIs and textures; MRF has a config to label the colors in its programmable whatsitcalled block; ChromatiCraft has different runes that it associates with each color by default; and there's probably a few more that I don't know of off the top of my head.

But in general? No, none that I'm aware of. Other than pestering modders, of course.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
I've been playing on a DireWolf20 server recently, and when I was looking up recipes in NEI, I noticed that one source for blaze powder (or maybe glowstone dust?) was the Pyro Bee. I know there are Magic Bees and Extra Bees (and Gendustry) in the mod pack, but I can't find any information anywhere on the Pyro Bee. Is Pyro Bee really a thing, or it just a McGuffin, i/e., an item that's mythical apart from the name tag?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I've been playing on a DireWolf20 server recently, and when I was looking up recipes in NEI, I noticed that one source for blaze powder (or maybe glowstone dust?) was the Pyro Bee. I know there are Magic Bees and Extra Bees (and Gendustry) in the mod pack, but I can't find any information anywhere on the Pyro Bee. Is Pyro Bee really a thing, or it just a McGuffin, i/e., an item that's mythical apart from the name tag?
There's an NEI addon that allows you to look up bee breeding recipes and/or Mutatron recipes. Try looking up the recipe for the Pyro Bee (as if it was a thing you could craft), and see if that does anything helpful.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
There's an NEI addon that allows you to look up bee breeding recipes and/or Mutatron recipes. Try looking up the recipe for the Pyro Bee (as if it was a thing you could craft), and see if that does anything helpful.

I'll give that a try when I get home, thanks! I'm still building all the Gendustry machines, which are taking a crap-ton of bronze and diamonds, but should be a little easier than setting up apiaries in every biome I can find.

O

oguldon

I know this question is getting old, but everytime i look for a real answer I end up with old information or someone that has only 4gb of memory
I have a decent system 2x xeons and 64 gb of memory
what is the best/max JVM arguments i can set/use

thanks in advance

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I know this question is getting old, but everytime i look for a real answer I end up with old information or someone that has only 4gb of memory
I have a decent system 2x xeons and 64 gb of memory
what is the best/max JVM arguments i can set/use

thanks in advance
A game/program can ONLY use as much memory as the files that it need to load into memory requires. There will be no benefit from giving the program more. In cases of JAVA it will actually hurt performance, since it cannot keep up clearing/unloading the RAM the more you allocate.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Actually a max of 4gb is best to run modded packs with afaik. Runs fine for me. Any more seems to bog it down

And, If you use Java 1.8.x you don't need any memory related JVM args at all, unless you want to use less ram for a smaller pack on a limited memory system. Oracle set all the memory defaults to values meeting or exceeding Minecraft requirements.

Reactions: Henry Link

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
@Hambeau, I like your answer. Simply put the memory management and garbage collection in Java 8 work great and don't need all of those crazy java command line arguments. I've been running my servers with minimal command lines for over a year now and no issues. I normally set -Xms1024M and -XmX4G and I'm done.

O

oguldon

The curse client always seems to add -Xmx6144m -Xms256m -XX:permSize=256m
and never seems to save it (thought i can change the -Xmx value

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The curse client always seems to add -Xmx6144m -Xms256m -XX:permSize=256m
and never seems to save it (thought i can change the -Xmx value

Are you running a server or using resource or texture packs? My Curse setup has never been changed and I use neither, and my -Xmx value is 4096. My Java version is the default loaded by Mojang's launcher, 1.8.0_25, so I suppose a newer version could use more by default.

O

oguldon

my curse client wont let me set the -Xms or -XXPermSize
just find it funny, even loading skyfactory from a 16gb ram disk, it just loads slow and does not seem to have the grunt it needs.

just gets to me,