Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
my curse client wont let me set the -Xms or -XXPermSize
just find it funny, even loading skyfactory from a 16gb ram disk, it just loads slow and does not seem to have the grunt it needs.

just gets to me,
permsize isn't needed anymore since java 8.
Also make sure you do it in the cure client rather then in the vanilla launcher that it starts. If you are unaware of how curse works
curse->vanilla launcher->game
All settings in the vanilla launcher are set to either the default or what is specified in curse when it starts the vanilla launcher.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I'll give that a try when I get home, thanks! I'm still building all the Gendustry machines, which are taking a crap-ton of bronze and diamonds, but should be a little easier than setting up apiaries in every biome I can find.

Pyro Bees are a thing - you'll definitely want to nerf their 'special effect' with the Gendustry machines, though. They set you on fire if you enter their territory while they are awake. You'll also need a Hellish environment for them.

They breed from Smouldering x Austere -> Dante (as in Inferno) and then Dante x Carbon.

Reactions: Greystoke

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
If you're looking for the breeding combinations- Bee Better at Bees does something very useful.

MjQKeyk.png

stry67

Jul 29, 2019
Hi and got a quick question. Im running Infinity Evolved in normal mode. I have a AE2 system set up and trying to accomplish something with Ender IO Alloy smelter. I want to keep a certain number of dark steel balls in the system so that the SAG mills stay filled. I want the alloy smelters to kick in when the dark steel gets too low and then I want the dark steel balls to be crafted when the number of them in the AE system gets too low. I have tried using level emitters but so far haven't found the right combination yet. Any help? thanks

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Steve's factory manager can do what you are asking. I've done it on IE evolved. Setup an interface that is configured to maintain dark steel balls and add the crafting card to it. Then program the factory manager using a condition to detect how many steel balls are in the sag mill and move them if needed. The alloy smelter is just configured someplace else on the AE network with an interface and the dark steel recipe.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
If you're looking for the breeding combinations- Bee Better at Bees does something very useful.

MjQKeyk.png

Nice! Ironically, my son and I spent time this weekend flowcharting the breeding combinations required for the Pyro bee, result looks very similar to this mod! :) I'll have to add this to our local machines, we're still digging ores for more bronze, the Gendustry mod is a total resource sink.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Wanted to ask what people were using for some sort of mirrored glass in IE/DireWolf20? Trying some different base ideas, and was modeling a local office building for inspiration - of course the building uses reflective glass extensively on the exterior. Any tips? Chisel mod is a lifesaver, and I've also tried out some of the dark building blocks for a magic room (can't recall the name - smooth stone around black dye...) which have neat particle effects.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wanted to ask what people were using for some sort of mirrored glass in IE/DireWolf20? Trying some different base ideas, and was modeling a local office building for inspiration - of course the building uses reflective glass extensively on the exterior. Any tips? Chisel mod is a lifesaver, and I've also tried out some of the dark building blocks for a magic room (can't recall the name - smooth stone around black dye...) which have neat particle effects.
I am was/am trying to do something similar and ended up with Black Stained glass as the closest thing.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
I am was/am trying to do something similar and ended up with Black Stained glass as the closest thing.

I'll give that a try, thanks!

By the way, your designs are a major source of inspiration for me, as I didn't even realize Carpenter's Blocks could be overlaid with glass until I'd seen you using them that way. :rolleyes:

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I'll give that a try, thanks!

By the way, your designs are a major source of inspiration for me, as I didn't even realize Carpenter's Blocks could be overlaid with glass until I'd seen you using them that way. :rolleyes:

You can also treat them with Glowstone Dust to make unobtrusive lighting. Or something that looks more like a fluorescent fixture.

Reactions: Henry Link

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a fun little issue, wondering if anyone can help.

I recently moved to Ubuntu, and whenever I close Minecraft, my second monitor disables itself. It only re-enables itself when I unplug, and replug, the HDMI cable.

I have an AMD 7870 graphics card, and the second monitor is a TV, if any of this helps.

I would like to say it's an issue with Java 8, as I haven't had this issue with any other game. However, I have no idea, hence why I am asking you guys.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
You can also treat them with Glowstone Dust to make unobtrusive lighting. Or something that looks more like a fluorescent fixture.

I've tried adding Glowstone Dust to Carpenter's Blocks, but maybe I'm doing it in the wrong order, the block doesn't seem to take the dust. I have used the Chisel mod on Glowstone Blocks to make some nice lanterns and light fixtures, and I'm going to try making a few decorative desk lamps from the Biblio mod.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried adding Glowstone Dust to Carpenter's Blocks, but maybe I'm doing it in the wrong order, the block doesn't seem to take the dust. I have used the Chisel mod on Glowstone Blocks to make some nice lanterns and light fixtures, and I'm going to try making a few decorative desk lamps from the Biblio mod.
Carpenters block -> Block you want it to look like -> Right click with glowstone dust (can't remember if it takes the dust), and you may need to do it a few times, as I believe it has 2 or 3 light level settings.

Reactions: Greystoke

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Carpenters block -> Block you want it to look like -> Right click with glowstone dust (can't remember if it takes the dust), and you may need to do it a few times, as I believe it has 2 or 3 light level settings.

Last time I used it (don't know if there's been an update in the interim), there was only one level and it did take the dust. This was the way to go about it, though.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You need to shift+click with the dust in order to apply it. And then it will consume the dust.

You can however remove the dust again(and get it back) by shift+left-click with the Carpenter's hammer(just like you remove applied materials).

Reactions: jordsta95

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Here's a fun little issue, wondering if anyone can help.

I recently moved to Ubuntu, and whenever I close Minecraft, my second monitor disables itself. It only re-enables itself when I unplug, and replug, the HDMI cable.

I have an AMD 7870 graphics card, and the second monitor is a TV, if any of this helps.

I would like to say it's an issue with Java 8, as I haven't had this issue with any other game. However, I have no idea, hence why I am asking you guys.

I know there was a kernel version for Ubuntu that had issues with the 2nd monitor. The 2nd monitor would just blink in/out or stop working. I was running into this on Ubuntu Mate 16.04. So you might want to look into that and see if you need a kernal update to fix the issue.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
For RFTools, is the in-game guide available for out-of-game reading? I've looked at Github, and although I can see the code and packages, the only read.me file is just a title bar. Is there a wiki or similar that will let me read up on dimension creation while I'm not gaming?

Edit: Ignore the question above, I found it. Several folders deep, but there it was.

Last edited:
W

WeBmAsTeErR

These are my pc specs:

RAM: 4 GB
CPU: Intel i3 - 5005u
GPU: Intel HD 5500 Integrated Graphics

Can I run any good modpacks with decent fps?

Crackpack for example?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
These are my pc specs:

RAM: 4 GB
CPU: Intel i3 - 5005u
GPU: Intel HD 5500 Integrated Graphics

Can I run any good modpacks with decent fps?

Crackpack for example?

Most "Good" modpacks, if by "Good" you mean some of the larger ones, will require 4GB (without tweaks) to run well. If you're using Java 1.8 this will be the default setting if you have the memory for it available... If not you will need to set the command switches to 2GB to avoid potential crashes.

Your CPU isn't the best choice for running many games, depending on it's clock speed, but it's usable. I3's aren't the newest chips, but the faster the better. Minecraft doesn't really use multithreading well, so multi-core CPUs don't really help much.

You won't get "decent" fps with most integrated graphics... In addition to being designed to at best display HDMI video, they generally do not have their own RAM and steal what they need from the system reducing what you think you have available. If the integrated GPU needs 256MB, your system only has 3.75GB for example, 512MB reduces system RAM to 3.5GB and so on. Also, with integrated graphics the CPU and GPU have to "take turns" accessing system resources like memory. A separate graphics card will have it's own ram and be able to access what it needs with less impact on the system.

Judging from your specs, this is either an older Desktop or a laptop. If it's a laptop about the only thing you can do, unless you have a deluxe model, is add at least 2GB ram for reasons described above. This will account for what Windows10 requires for itself (1GB) and the RAM stolen from the system by the integrated graphics.

There's also a thread in "Ask a Simple Question" about running larger packs with limited memory by disabling some mods and other tweaks, Look there for info on pack tweaking... I think it's called something like "How to run Infinity Evolved with 1.0GB Allocation"

With a Desktop you have more options. after checking the system specs (ie the Motherboard) you could do the following, in order of preference (and cost, considering Intel prices):

1) Disable integrated graphics and add a GPU card. This frees up some ram (see above) and allows you to choose the GPU YOU want. For example, I'm running a $49 video card right now and seeing 60-70 fps constantly.

2) add 2 to 4 GB ram. This will compensate for Windows10 requirements and give you breathing space for Texture packs or, if you're the type, extra windows open for Teamspeak, Wiki, etc.

3) A CPU upgrade. You might be able to get an I5 (not sure, I use AMD) but even a faster I3 is better.

Hope this helps, or at least informs. :D

Last edited: