Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Why is 1.8.9 a total loss ?

I believe the poster's sentiment was aimed at the fact that no major packs were released for that version window. What that fails to take into account is the ease with which developers were able to update to 1.9 from 1.8 (which was a simple one to two line fix for a number of people, from what I've read here). If I'm reading the terrain correctly for the future, we should expect a number of these rapid MC version updates which are trying not to break the modding scene as they rewrite underlying code and add new features to Vanilla. This means entire modpacks may be able to be made in 1.9, then be ported to 1.10+ once all the mods have made the required small change.

The scene is going to look different for a while, from the sounds of things. A post from Mojang/Microsoft had basically stated the next update to break things will likely be out as far as 1.14, although I'm not sure if that was intended to be gospel or just a joke to calm people down.

Edit:. Take solace in the fact that 1.7 remains stable and has an absolute crapton of content available for it.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I believe the poster's sentiment was aimed at the fact that no major packs were released for that version window. What that fails to take into account is the ease with which developers were able to update to 1.9 from 1.8 (which was a simple one to two line fix for a number of people, from what I've read here). If I'm reading the terrain correctly for the future, we should expect a number of these rapid MC version updates which are trying not to break the modding scene as they rewrite underlying code and add new features to Vanilla. This means entire modpacks may be able to be made in 1.9, then be ported to 1.10+ once all the mods have made the required small change.

The scene is going to look different for a while, from the sounds of things. A post from Mojang/Microsoft had basically stated the next update to break things will likely be out as far as 1.14, although I'm not sure if that was intended to be gospel or just a joke to calm people down.

Edit:. Take solace in the fact that 1.7 remains stable and has an absolute crapton of content available for it.

I agree, except that part about 1.7 being "stable" ( :) )... Granted, none of the packs for 1.8/1.8.9/1.9/1.9.4 I've created and/or played have anywhere near the sheer number of mods that any 1.7 pack I've played, but then again neither have they exhibited the Worldgen Lag nor the failure to render entire swathes of the countryside (yet).

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, except that part about 1.7 being "stable" ( :) )... Granted, none of the packs for 1.8/1.8.9/1.9/1.9.4 I've created and/or played have anywhere near the sheer number of mods that any 1.7 pack I've played, but then again neither have they exhibited the Worldgen Lag nor the failure to render entire swathes of the countryside (yet).
What many people think of stable is not just whether is it playable, but also whether it looks 'finished': completed mechanics, blocks or fluids without broken or WIP textures.

I remember when Dire did his FC 1.8 series, the broken texture of gasoline in the refinery really got me triggered.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Why is 1.8.9 a total loss ?

Because the mod devs released incomplete mods (which has been fine in the past) and then just stopped without the mod getting to a reasonable level of being complete. Mods had items that required other components that never got updated for the version and never will.

Well I have had both in 1.9.4 and I don't remember 1.7.10 being that bad for either, in fact the FTB Skyblock series with DW20 seems very stable and it has been given a major workout by him and Soaryn. The fact that this pack was released only 8 weeks ago, a 1.7.10 pack, says a lot about the quality of the version. You won't ever see any 1.8/1.8.9/1.9 packs that go close to Infinity Evolved, Direwolf20, Agrarian Skies 2 or even Regrowth and I am sure that I have not named a lot of other good packs.

The reason has little to do with the people putting the packs together, it is the fact that devs stopped work on 1.8.9 with out completing the mod. I know many mods are always being developed but each version should be a working product.

It's a bit like how the judges say is the best way to play Wrenched, you get an idea, you make a working build and then you make it pretty and add extra bells and whistles.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
@sgbros1 @Ocker Don't get me wrong, I still play DW20 1.7.10, but having been a beta tester for several companies since the early nineties I'm one of those idiots that like to exist on the bleeding edge :D.

I like to play with Natura (I usually live in hollowed out Redwoods in 1.7.10 packs, like a squirrel :D), but the mod hasn't yet updated and may never do so. I've adjusted, living either in a hole in the ground or taking over a small village in the newer versions.

One thing I've noticed that I miss from newer versions are the performance improvements that should improve the modded experience... My first 1.10 world has yet to use more than 705MB of allocated ram, for example, while DW20 1.7.10 regularly peaks over 3GB regularly with exactly the same settings.

I understand a lot of people not wanting to play new versions because their favorite mod set isn't available, but for me that's an excuse to play around with what is available, and in fact gives me a whole new playing experience as opposed to most 1.7.10 packs.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
@sgbros1 @Ocker Don't get me wrong, I still play DW20 1.7.10, but having been a beta tester for several companies since the early nineties I'm one of those idiots that like to exist on the bleeding edge :D.

I like to play with Natura (I usually live in hollowed out Redwoods in 1.7.10 packs, like a squirrel :D), but the mod hasn't yet updated and may never do so. I've adjusted, living either in a hole in the ground or taking over a small village in the newer versions.

One thing I've noticed that I miss from newer versions are the performance improvements that should improve the modded experience... My first 1.10 world has yet to use more than 705MB of allocated ram, for example, while DW20 1.7.10 regularly peaks over 3GB regularly with exactly the same settings.

I understand a lot of people not wanting to play new versions because their favorite mod set isn't available, but for me that's an excuse to play around with what is available, and in fact gives me a whole new playing experience as opposed to most 1.7.10 packs.

I now what you saying, I have been playing with minecraft since beta and spent a lot of time on snapshots around 1.2 to 1.4, it was a lot of fun. And I have also made a base or 2 in a hollowed out tree on Agrarian Skies 2 and another time in the Twilight Forest, I don't remember if it was 1.6.4 or 1.7.10 the last time I was in the Twilight Forest but I remember that not being complete, there was supposed to be a castle on a mountain that was not implemented, but the rest of the mod was large enough that it did not matter.

I suspect the fact that the 1.10 world is not loading any mods is a reason for the small RAM footprint, add an auto miner, a item transport system and an auto farm and you will likely get back to 3GB soon enough.

And again I agree with you about the new experience aspect, it's why I played the snapshots and why I have been playing 1.8/1.8.9/1.9, but playing modded minecraft you aim to have an early game/ mid game / end game progression and I did not get that with 1.8-1.8.9 barely had an early game experience. And if 1.10 becomes the focus for mod devs now I will be likely not to progress past mid game in 1.9.4.

I am warily enjoying 1.9.4, psi is great, brilliantly overpowered and great, but 1.10 has me concerned because of the 1.8.9 experience.

Reactions: Everlasting2
M

MrHeash

Do mobs spawn on farmland? I want to build huge cornfields without torches if possible.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Do Enderio Farming Stations still harvest oreberrry bushes? I have been trying to get mine going, but it won't pick any up. Have tried with/without hoe, locked vs unlocked, and it has an octadic capacitor. Bushes are all in a dark room around the farming station, on the same level. It has power, and HarvestEssenceBerries=true in the config. Bug, feature removed, or me being derpy?

*** I opened a case on Enderio Github, mod dev responded right way and suggested downgrading to 425 from 426.

It worked!

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Do Enderio Farming Stations still harvest oreberrry bushes? I have been trying to get mine going, but it won't pick any up. Have tried with/without hoe, locked vs unlocked, and it has an octadic capacitor. Bushes are all in a dark room around the farming station, on the same level. It has power, and HarvestEssenceBerries=true in the config. Bug, feature removed, or me being derpy?

MFR can havest ore berry bushes.

And, 'Essence' berries are different. Those are the experience berries. Similar, but different than ore berries.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather use enderio if possible, it's a cleaner solution if it works. Old threads suggest it can harvest ore berries, not just exp berries.

I'd need a bunch of harvesters to be as effective, they work slower as you as range upgrades and I have a largish area.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Here is something that I have always wondered about:
Do Tinkers tools repair(moss) when not in a players inventory? Like in a chest, tool rack etc.?

Guessing they don't, would require some questionable calculations etc. but never actually tested it out.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Here is something that I have always wondered about:
Do Tinkers tools repair(moss) when not in a players inventory? Like in a chest, tool rack etc.?

Guessing they don't, would require some questionable calculations etc. but never actually tested it out.

My lumber axe doesn't repair while in my backpack, so I'm pretty sure it carries the same as in other Inventories.

Reactions: MigukNamja and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
My lumber axe doesn't repair while in my backpack, so I'm pretty sure it carries the same as in other Inventories.
Yeah thought as much. I have been keeping my tools in an enderpouch for years, but never actually really paid attention to them :p

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Make a tool rod and cast bedrock over it.

If you can't melt bedrock, well it could be some oversight.
I've made a bedrock tool rod. I want to run Manyullyn over it, but it isn't working. It isn't working for HSLA steel tool rod either. Molten iron, molten Manyullyn, none of them works for RoC's tool rods. I changed the tool rod to a slime tool rod and it worked.

Maybe it's an ITT config option?

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
I've made a bedrock tool rod. I want to run Manyullyn over it, but it isn't working. It isn't working for HSLA steel tool rod either. Molten iron, molten Manyullyn, none of them works for RoC's tool rods. I changed the tool rod to a slime tool rod and it worked.

Maybe it's an ITT config option?
only certain Tool Rods can be used to make bolts try using a slime tool rod and pouring molten bedrock over it

Jungalist81

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a place where we can get a modlist comparsion of the different FTB modpacks? like one column is Infinity Evolved Skyblock, the other column is Skyfactory, etc?