Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to bully a hungry node with a bright node as the bully?
Bright or Sinister or whatever you want. As long as the aspect sum is big enough, a Hungry node can be bullied. Hungry nodes can only "eat" what can be moved (or isn't hard enough; to capture a hungry node a cage of Obsidian must be used in the primary confinement). A node cannot be moved, only destroyed (as a block; you can only move them by capturing them in jars, or use Blood Magic Teleposers). So you can use a Hungry node as a victim.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Is it possible to bully a hungry node with a bright node as the bully?

Just be careful with Hungry Nodes, they like sucking everything in, including the player, and eating them. If you happen to have jars containing captured nodes what will likely happen is either it will consume the jar and break the node contained within, or it will release the node and one or more released nodes start bullying the Hungry Node or vice-versa - either way, if this happens, there's only a chance that the aspects from the node being bullied will be transferred to the node that is the bully. It's not a 100% guaranteed thing, you may wind up feeding a bully node a lot of other nodes for relatively little return and the process is time-consuming, which means you're going to need a lot of free time while you wait or a server to do this on where the admin understands what you're trying to accomplish and doesn't shut the process down prematurely.

Hungry nodes, on the other hand, if managed correctly, can be an excellent self-feeder and can be converted with a Tainted Node afterwards. Just be sure it's close enough to convert the biome where you place the Hungry node into Tainted, but not close enough that it will interact with and feed off the Hungry Node or vice-versa, if you go this route.

It's also of significant benefit to research the node interaction system beforehand and make sure the information is accurate for whichever version of Thaumcraft you're using. Azanor is constantly rewriting the code, and releasing stable updates periodically, and sometimes node interaction behaviors get changed or updated to include new behaviors or bugfixes.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Will have to look up the capture proceed of a hungry node.

Right now, I have 2 bright modes and my plan is to turn one into a staff/wand recharger and the other into something that has every aspect so I can have them constantly at the ready...yes, I'm a noob at this.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Is it possible to "Make" a Node...sort of like a pseudo-Node?
This depends entirely on what addons are available, although even in vanilla tc it's techincally possible to make nodes by growing silverwood trees. (although these are small, randomly generated and pure).

Nodal Mechanics allows you to make any node up to 120 total vis capacity. This gives a very easy method to get a 11cv/t node in all aspects. (Compound aspects are possible, I suggest Fabrico...) Be prepared though, the infusion required for this is both Dangerous instability, and needs a MASSIVE amount of essentia.

Techomancy also has a way, but I don't know much about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashendale

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but I was looking for something like a cheat sheet to tell me what all the wands held all in one listing.
Just wanted to point out that a Gold-capped Silverwood wand contains the minimum amount of vis for node jarring--100 each of primals. This is fine for most uses, although I like to make a dedicated wand/staff for foci that I use the most.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Nodal Mechanics...is that a mod?
Yes, it is.

As to your wand question earlier, caps determine base discount, rods determine vis capacity. A scepter gains +10% vis discount and 50% extra storage, and all except one staff doubles the vis capacity (The exception is the Blood Magic related staff, which actually reduces the vis storage). Note I'm only including rods I know of and remeber the capacity of here.

Material - Wand Storage - Staff Storage - Scepter Storage
Amber - 10 - 20 - 15
Wood - 25 - 50 - 38
Greatwood - 50 - 100 - 75
Any Primal Rod (i.e. Blaze or reed), Transmutative - 75 - 150 - 113
Silverwood, Livingwood(FM), Dreamwood(FM) - 100 - 200 - 150
Infernal(FM), Tainted(FM) - 150 - 300 - 225
Primal - (No wand) - 250 - (no scepter) (This one is the one I'm most rusty on, I don't rember the exact number here, it might be higher)
Ichorium Wrapped Silverwood (KAMI) - 1000 - (No staff variant) - 1500

Reactions: Ashendale

Wicked223

Jul 29, 2019
I need a fast way of turning gravel into flint for an Entropinnyum mana generator, and the Resonant pulverizer with three speed upgrades I'm using isn't fast enough, amazingly. is there anything else I can use?

Last edited:

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I need a fast way of turning gravel into flint for an Entropinnyum mana generator, and the Resonant pulverizer with three speed upgrades I'm using isn't fast enough, amazingly. is there anything else I can use?

I'm curious - what does flint have to do with making explosives? Ordinary TNT recipes only require sand and gunpowder which is easy to come by if you know how mob traps work. :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
I'm curious - what does flint have to do with making explosives? Ordinary TNT recipes only require sand and gunpowder which is easy to come by if you know how mob traps work. :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
botania has an alchemy recipe that turns flint into gunpowder

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
botania has an alchemy recipe that turns flint into gunpowder

Well, if that's the case, has the OP considered using the augment that boosts the chance to drop extra items, if flint is listed as an extra drop for the pulverizer recipe in qustion? If it isn't listed, I don't know, other than to say that you should build one or more extra resonant pulverizers.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Wicked223

Jul 29, 2019
It turns out a SAG Mill + Octadic Capacitor + Dark Steel Balls gives me the rate I need, but I still can't generate mana fast enough to cover the cost of the alchemy. I might just need to build a Powered Spawner and make a creeper farm...

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
It turns out a SAG Mill + Octadic Capacitor + Dark Steel Balls gives me the rate I need, but I still can't generate mana fast enough to cover the cost of the alchemy. I might just need to build a Powered Spawner and make a creeper farm...
What are you using for mana generation? Can't use any better or increase the size to increase mana output?

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
I need someone to clear this up for me. Try as I might, I cannot grasp the concept.

On Magic Farm 3, you have to eat different things, I get that. But when do I get diminishing returns? Is it by eating the same things twice in a row? For example, I eat pork. When can I eat pork again? after I ate 5 different things after pork, can I eat pork again?

I really want to get into the modpack, but I want to understand how to properly manage my foodsies.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I need someone to clear this up for me. Try as I might, I cannot grasp the concept.

On Magic Farm 3, you have to eat different things, I get that. But when do I get diminishing returns? Is it by eating the same things twice in a row? For example, I eat pork. When can I eat pork again? after I ate 5 different things after pork, can I eat pork again?

I really want to get into the modpack, but I want to understand how to properly manage my foodsies.
Diminishing returns is only for the same food in a row. Example is after eating say, 4 pork chops, you only get 50% of the hunger benefit. This is all configurable and idk what specifically jaded has it set to, but those are the basics.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Diminishing returns is only for the same food in a row. Example is after eating say, 4 pork chops, you only get 50% of the hunger benefit. This is all configurable and idk what specifically jaded has it set to, but those are the basics.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

So I can just eat 2 types of things, as long I alternate between them?