Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I'm delving into something which I swore I would never do...

What would be a fun mod to start in Direwolf20?
Before you name something common, I have a few prequisites:
1) It must not be a mod that produces/is reliant on RF - I am saving these types of mods for mid-mid/late game
2) Is not Botania (I already know of this one)
3) That if I were to spend 10 hours on, I wouldn't be looking at other mods and thinking "Oh, well there's no point in doing that, as what I have here is better".

Is this a trick? Jordsta+DW20? Sounds a bit like a trap!

But I'll bite - 2 options - Blood Magic can be done with little or no RF and has 6 stages to go through and has some useful items like teleposers that can be exploited.

And the second option is Bees - without Gendestry...do not waste time on it. I started on bees mid-late game this time and had a lot of rocky hives via Ender Quarry with silk touch, made platforms at 6 locations including the nether that I could telepose back to base and set up hives to grow the number of drones. Then (after Gendestry fail) I started breeding to make alvearies, I am finishing the last of 8 today.

And remember it is not always about "is there something that does it better" .. or as the old folk used to say 'it isn't just about the destination but also the journey"

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
How can I automate an Endoflame in Botania or should I go with a different flower instead to produce my mana. I'm just starting off with Botania so I want to generate a good amount of mana before I start making anything special. Thanks

Endoflame is covered here -
- basically like KhrFreak said but stops when mana is full so not wasting items.

Or you could go for Thermalilly -
- much harder build for much more reward

DerpyPanda22

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry too tell you this but the thermalilly has been nerfed to all hell. So I would recommend using the endoflames and hydroangeas to start off and it won't hurt to spam your botania area with dayblooms and nightshades as well.

Last edited:

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry too tell you this but the thermalilly has been nerfed to all hell. So I would recommend using the thermalily,endoflames and hydroangeas to start off and it won't hurt to spam your botania area with dayblooms and nightshades as well.
Thanks for the info, Dire did mention it was likely - Do you know if the kekimurus took a hit as well? I have the resourses to set up a cake system but if it is low return may not bother.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Have a few bee frame/thaumcraft questions - Does Thaumic Restorer repair Resilient Frames?, Is their a better option?, Where do I find the Thaumic Restorer in the Thaumonomicon - tab and trail (nearby items) to it if possible. Thanks

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Thanks for the info, Dire did mention it was likely - Do you know if the kekimurus took a hit as well? I have the resourses to set up a cake system but if it is low return may not bother.
Most of the generating flowers other than the Endoflame and Thermalily were actually buffed a while back. The Kekimurus should work quite well.

Have a few bee frame/thaumcraft questions - Does Thaumic Restorer repair Resilient Frames?, Is their a better option?, Where do I find the Thaumic Restorer in the Thaumonomicon - tab and trail (nearby items) to it if possible. Thanks
(a) Probably, although I haven't tested it.
(b) No idea.
(c) It's in the Thaumic Tinkerer section somewhere. I don't know where exactly.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Is this a trick? Jordsta+DW20? Sounds a bit like a trap!

But I'll bite - 2 options - Blood Magic can be done with little or no RF and has 6 stages to go through and has some useful items like teleposers that can be exploited.

And the second option is Bees - without Gendestry...do not waste time on it. I started on bees mid-late game this time and had a lot of rocky hives via Ender Quarry with silk touch, made platforms at 6 locations including the nether that I could telepose back to base and set up hives to grow the number of drones. Then (after Gendestry fail) I started breeding to make alvearies, I am finishing the last of 8 today.

And remember it is not always about "is there something that does it better" .. or as the old folk used to say 'it isn't just about the destination but also the journey"
No, no trap.

Bees. Hmm, I may do that, I haven't "legit" done them since 1.4, so I think it's about time to do them again.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
No, no trap.

Bees. Hmm, I may do that, I haven't "legit" done them since 1.4, so I think it's about time to do them again.

Honestly my first experience in 1.6.4 with bees was terrible, I then found out about the forestry add ons that made things easier, this time I expected the Gendestry mod (nee Forestry) would make it a breeze with my prior knowledge, but I have discovered that* (so far) it is actually a simple (but time consuming) process to do it without tech. And it is actually rewarding. But if I did not have a large supply of rocky bees I may have a different opinion.

The tricks are simply this - with less than a stack of 10 drones you can make a princess of that variety of bee. Never use your princess for breeding. Nothing much more to it except that the majority of world gen bees (6/16) are Normal - normal so the best location for a base if bees are planned is ....

* also Gendestry actually seems to have made things more difficult...not what I really look for on a mod

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly my first experience in 1.6.4 with bees was terrible, I then found out about the forestry add ons that made things easier, this time I expected the Gendestry mod (nee Forestry) would make it a breeze with my prior knowledge, but I have discovered that* (so far) it is actually a simple (but time consuming) process to do it without tech. And it is actually rewarding. But if I did not have a large supply of rocky bees I may have a different opinion.

The tricks are simply this - with less than a stack of 10 drones you can make a princess of that variety of bee. Never use your princess for breeding. Nothing much more to it except that the majority of world gen bees (6/16) are Normal - normal so the best location for a base if bees are planned is ....

* also Gendestry actually seems to have made things more difficult...not what I really look for on a mod
Gendustry makes things easier actually.. Apiaries with the heating/cooling, perfect mutations, easy genetics, etc. All you need is Redstone, and Redstone Flux

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Gendustry makes things easier actually.. Apiaries with the heating/cooling, perfect mutations, easy genetics, etc. All you need is Redstone, and Redstone Flux
No Gendestry makes things harder actually...... It is Alvearies, not apiaries, and the transmission, lighting fan, heater and Hydroregulator are from forestry and extra bees in this pack and they ARE needed.... the stuff I am talking about is the Gendestry genome stuff that is far too complicated in this pack, I used it in 1.6.4 and it was slow and hard to automate, now it is redundant.

The transmission block is the greatest asset I have seen in the current setup, makes powering simple. I have completed the 8 alvearies I intend using but have not fully implemented, in theory I have a very good setup that uses 8 alvearies, 2 solar generators, a dimensional transceiver, enderIO item, fluid and power and an ender chest.

What gendestry has done is to take the incubators, isolators, lab stands, gene pools, etc and make them all need a different enzyme to operate and therefor another tech machine is required to get that enzyme - the only trick they missed in making the mod more difficult was they did not make each machine need power supplied by a different source to operate, for example they could have had the incubator only operate from energy from a mundane comb generator, isolator needs energy from a silky comb... I don't care if that gives them an idea as I won't be using it . the gendestry mod has made the process harder than doing it without the mod and that is a bad idea IMHO.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I never used gendustry before or extra bees but from what I have seen from gendustry I think you mistake extra bees for gendustry.

I may also be totally wrong because I never used it or extra bees.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
I never used gendustry before or extra bees but from what I have seen from gendustry I think you mistake extra bees for gendustry.

I may also be totally wrong because I never used it or extra bees.
I've played both and, yeah, they're mixing them up. Extra bees isn't quite as bad as they're making it out to be either.

Edit: Just watched Dire mess with Gendustry in his newest episode, proving that the mod hasn't changed at all from the last time I played it :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
OK a little clarity .... 1.6.4 the innoculators etc were part of forestry, they are in DW20 1.7.10, split into Genetics mod (sorry was referring to it as gendestry, my mistake) that has the serums, innoculators, etc, these are overly derped..... the alveary add ons are extra bees and forestry for minecraft, which includes lighting, fans heaters and hydrogregulator. The genetics are the lame part, the alveary add ons are a necessity.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
OK a little clarity .... 1.6.4 the innoculators etc were part of forestry, they are in DW20 1.7.10, split into Genetics mod (sorry was referring to it as gendestry, my mistake) that has the serums, innoculators, etc, these are overly derped..... the alveary add ons are extra bees and forestry for minecraft, which includes lighting, fans heaters and hydrogregulator. The genetics are the lame part, the alveary add ons are a necessity.
Yeah, that's Extra Bees stuff. I know that that can be complicated :p

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
It may only be me that finds this odd... I just looked for the latest DW20 video and it is called Forgecraft2 E6 E27 Gendustry ... how weird is that?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It may only be me that finds this odd... I just looked for the latest DW20 video and it is called Forgecraft2 E6 E27 Gendustry ... how weird is that?
I wouldn't think it's too weird. DW20 has been needing to start doing new stuff in his series for a while, and he has never done Gendustry before, so it was bound to be done eventually

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
To say I have only ever seen one butterfly, and still don't understand how they work... Imma say SURE WHY NOT!... but are there any tutorials out there?
There was an old tutorial on the forums here that's obviously buried pretty far in by this point... But the gist was that you take your forestry trees you want to breed together and put them in an enclosed space, butterflies will spawn from their leaf blocks and start pollinating the trees for you.