Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Is there some means of directly stopping flow of power to an ender energy conduit either through a bus, wirelessly or via redstone. I want to place a switch to my power on/off from another floor.
If you have EnderIO and project red - insulated redstone cables interact with most RF equipment and wireless sender/receiver can do the rest - not sure but you may need to connect the insulated redstone to a Stone (or other) block and direct the receiver to the block.

HeraBulldog

Jul 29, 2019
does humus work as the same as dirt alone or is it better than dirt for wheat farms?.. can you use water on humus like on dirt to make it even better?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
does humus work as the same as dirt alone or is it better than dirt for wheat farms?.. can you use water on humus like on dirt to make it even better?
I think humus is only for Forestry farms, but don't quote me on that. I believe MFR has a form of fertilized dirt that gives a boost to growth speed for crops planted on it, though.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I think humus is only for Forestry farms, but don't quote me on that. I believe MFR has a form of fertilized dirt that gives a boost to growth speed for crops planted on it, though.
Yeah without knowing what version he is on it is not easy to help.
Humus was only used in the old forestry farms(before Multifarms, used by the Arboretum, so we are speaking 1.4.7 and earlier). I don't think there were a use for them outside the farms.
It might exist ingame in later versions(some multifarms might spawn it) but it is not meant to be used if that is the case.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know of a way to change the angle of a beacon light?

Normally straight up, would like to make it shoot at an angle

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Anyone know of a way to change the angle of a beacon light?

Normally straight up, would like to make it shoot at an angle
Nah there is no way. It is made up of vertically stacked beam entities I believe.

What I would personally love is a small mod that adds cosmetic beams etc. that can be send between two blocks. The MFR laser drill can start it in the block, so it should be possible to stop it in another block, right?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Nah there is no way. It is made up of vertically stacked beam entities I believe.

What I would personally love is a small mod that adds cosmetic beams etc. that can be send between two blocks. The MFR laser drill can start it in the block, so it should be possible to stop it in another block, right?
Yeah. Minecraft does it for 256 blocks. And the laser drill + prechargers only do it for one... so it shouldn't be impossible. But I don't know how hard :p

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019

Vertically stacked entities? So if I erect a beacon I have just added 256 entities to the chunk?

Are blocks considered entities as well?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Vertically stacked entities? So if I erect a beacon I have just added 256 entities to the chunk?

Are blocks considered entities as well?
Dont be so "OMG entity" shocked. Entities are not bad. Entities that require a lot of calculations per tick are bad.

This is the same reason why so many people mistakenly blame Microblocks and Carpenter's blocks for lag... yes they have more information bound to their placement than a normal cubic block. But it does not change, it is not reevaluated all the time and keeping track of huge amounts of passive datapoints is EXACTLY what a computer is good at with minimal effort. Instead you should start thinking about which machines you use and how, how you build mob farms etc. These cause 10000x+ the calculations than if you plastered the entire world with microblocks and carpenter's blocks.

Reactions: glepet1962

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Dont be so "OMG entity" shocked. Entities are not bad. Entities that require a lot of calculations per tick are bad.

This is the same reason why so many people mistakenly blame Microblocks and Carpenter's blocks for lag... yes they have more information bound to their placement than a normal cubic block. But it does not change, it is not reevaluated all the time and keeping track of huge amounts of passive datapoints is EXACTLY what a computer is good at with minimal effort. Instead you should start thinking about which machines you use and how, how you build mob farms etc. These cause 10000x+ the calculations than if you plastered the entire world with microblocks and carpenter's blocks.
On this note the amount of checks mobs do every tick (for 1 second) probably = the same as a microblock/carpenters block do when placed
Seriously a zombie has to:
check if it is outside, if it is wearing a hat (if not then it burns, it true it doesn't)
check if it is in water, if it is keep jumping
check if villagers are nearby, if true CHASE THE VILLAGER
check if there is a door infront of it, if there is BREAK IT DOWN!
and probably other stuff I am forgetting too... and it does that EVERY tick. Now think that there's probably 20 zombies spawned at any one time... that's a hell of a lot of calculations being done 20 times a second.
And it's not like the other mobs are any better (zombies are probably the worst, but are by no means the best)

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Comparatively speaking a block or micro block is not as bad entity wise as say an active sag mill or a big reactor etc.

How ever I don't know if you have looked but minecraft, even unmodded, can use a ton of system resources. I'm very surprised that it hasn't been exported out of java to a code that is better suited for handling these things.

That many entities, no wonder it lags suddenly.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Comparatively speaking a block or micro block is not as bad entity wise as say an active sag mill or a big reactor etc.

How ever I don't know if you have looked but minecraft, even unmodded, can use a ton of system resources. I'm very surprised that it hasn't been exported out of java to a code that is better suited for handling these things.

That many entities, no wonder it lags suddenly.
Leaving from Java to a language most of the team may not know (Mojang) would not only make life for them hard, but it would enrage the community (all old mods will no longer work, and people may not know java + the language they move to)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
This is the same reason why so many people mistakenly blame Microblocks and Carpenter's blocks for lag... yes they have more information bound to their placement than a normal cubic block.
They can cause FPS lag when there are many of them. Tile enitity are rendered in a different way than blocks and generally more expensive. But it depends on what the tile entity renderer does.
But you're right as in they probably won't strain the server too much.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Question: anyone know if pams harvest craft is 1.7 and why it doesn't seem to be in any of the mod packs?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Question: anyone know if pams harvest craft is 1.7 and why it doesn't seem to be in any of the mod packs?
It is in a lot of packs o_O
Just the FTB ones don't use it because they don't add hunger overhaul, and pams is pretty pointless without it

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I always found the hunger thing annoying. But I always enjoyed making and growing different types of food

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I always found the hunger thing annoying. But I always enjoyed making and growing different types of food
It's one of those "whats the point in making 1 delighted meal when 2.5 steak will fulfill the same needs" Although it is a great mod, not many people will go beyond the basic foods, because without HO your tier2 foods (if you will) will fill half your max hunger, which is plenty.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Leaving from Java to a language most of the team may not know (Mojang) would not only make life for them hard, but it would enrage the community (all old mods will no longer work, and people may not know java + the language they move to)

I saw a tweet blaming Notch for extending Java's shelf life 3 years beyond it's "Expiration" date. :D

I wholeheartedly agree, having experience with several other languages.

Last edited: