Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

guiguilyon

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using a mac? If so, you may need to hold down the fn key to use the F keys as standard F keys rather than their specialized functions (i.e. iTunes control, volume/brightness, etc). There's also an option in system preferences to swap F key behavior (operate normally as standard F keys, fn gives specialized functions).

If you're not on a mac, remember that NEI keybinds are their own thing - you won't find them in the normal keybind menu. NEI options are accessed from your inventory screen (or any screen that shows you NEI) - the button is in the bottom left. Double check that your keybinds are set properly.

If neither of those solutions work, try binding something else to F7. It's possible something is wrong with the key. At the very least, you'll be able to diagnose a keybinding conflict.

Thanks for answering. I'm playing on PC.

I checked every keybinding in the controls menu and I can't find anything using F7. So I changed to other keys that wasn't used anyway. None will work. The NEI.cfg show up the proper setting each time I change the keybinding ("moboverlay=65" for F7 for instance).

I checked if my F7 key was ok by binding it to another NEI shortcut. I put it on Highlight tooltip (not the WAILA tooltip but the NEI one). And it works.

What's interesting is that the "chunk boundaries overlay" feature won't work either, no matter it's keyding.

Couldn't it be a graphic setting, maybe optifine related, or something I could have disabled on my graphic card ? I know I disabled "Threaded optimisation" for javaw.exe from Nvidia control panel to prevent an Optifine graphic glitch I had.

[EDIT] So I read here that it could be related to Modular Power Suits, gonan try to update it. [EDIT 2] Updating Modular Power Suits to 1.6.4 (it was on 1.6.2 for whatever reason) didn't change anything. Think it's related to a graphic setting.

Another solution could be to disable shaders (in my Nvidia Control panel ? No). But I can't find this setting, in Nvidia control panel.
EDIT : This solution is to disable the shaders from Modular Power Suits settings (powersuits.cfg located in "minecraft\config\machinemuse"). But mine was already set on "false". Source

EDIT : Fixed (kinda) : I disabled Optifine and guess what? It works! I already tried every version of Optifine and every one pf them has an issue or another (graphic glitches). I have a pretty descent rig so no lag for me. But I still wanna benefit from the graphic enhancement Optifine provides.

Does anyone knows what setting/bug of Optifine could prevent NEI mob and chunck overlays to be displayed ?

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Question about Factorization.

With my current setup, Water Boiler over 3x3 water, Caliometric Burner next to it supplying heat, Steam Turbine on top of Boiler to generate charge and a Battery on top of the Turbine, I can generate charge but the battery is not storing any of it. This happens with nothing connected to the setup to draw power.

My question is that is this a bug or intended change?
Not sure if it matter, but I think the top of the turbine might be intended for piping in steam. Have you tried putting the battery on the side of the turbine? or perhaps connecting it up with lead wire?

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if it matter, but I think the top of the turbine might be intended for piping in steam. Have you tried putting the battery on the side of the turbine? or perhaps connecting it up with lead wire?
Not yet, but since it was getting charge I didn't think that would matter, I'll try putting it on the side.

Edit: 12 mins on the side all I got was a 1% storage within the first 1-2 mins then nothing else.

Last edited:

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for answering. I'm playing on PC.

I checked every keybinding in the controls menu and I can't find anything using F7. So I changed to other keys that wasn't used anyway. None will work. The NEI.cfg show up the proper setting each time I change the keybinding ("moboverlay=65" for F7 for instance).

I checked if my F7 key was ok by binding it to another NEI shortcut. I put it on Highlight tooltip (not the WAILA tooltip but the NEI one). And it works.

What's interesting is that the "chunk boundaries overlay" feature won't work either, no matter it's keyding.

Couldn't it be a graphic setting, maybe optifine related, or something I could have disabled on my graphic card ? I know I disabled "Threaded optimisation" for javaw.exe from Nvidia control panel to prevent an Optifine graphic glitch I had.

[EDIT] So I read here that it could be related to Modular Power Suits, gonan try to update it.

Another solution could be to disable shaders (in my Nvidia Control panel ?). But I can't find this setting, in Nvidia control panel since it's all in french and I can't find the french ways of writing "shaders" ( I know that's weird since I'm french :).
Who doesn't play on PC, I mean, what's the point of visiting this forum if your on (stupid idea) xbox or ps "Console minecraft edition" << stupid!

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone give me interesting ideas for EU and MJ/RF power generation?

I started a new world and try to find new ways to get things done, but for energy production I have problems finding alternatives.

I built too many tree/wheat farms with boiler/generator
had probably in every a world a nuclear reactor
solar panels are kinda boring
lava as power source is a nogo for me, just takes all the fun out of it
RotaryCraft has a MJ converter, but would like a seperate MJ production

Is BigReactors and GasCraft my only other options for MJ and the new IC2 generators for EU or are there some awesome things in the magic mods (just getting into them) that I haven't discovered yet?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Can someone give me interesting ideas for EU and MJ/RF power generation?

I started a new world and try to find new ways to get things done, but for energy production I have problems finding alternatives.

I built too many tree/wheat farms with boiler/generator
had probably in every a world a nuclear reactor
solar panels are kinda boring
lava as power source is a nogo for me, just takes all the fun out of it
RotaryCraft has a MJ converter, but would like a seperate MJ production

Is BigReactors and GasCraft my only other options for MJ and the new IC2 generators for EU or are there some awesome things in the magic mods (just getting into them) that I haven't discovered yet?
There is Compact windmills if you have it. Goes well in hand with ATG world gen.
You could also take a twist on the lava route and go the bee route instead of nether/mystcraft lava world.

Reactions: Giddimani

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
There is Compact windmills if you have it. Goes well in hand with ATG world gen.
You could also take a twist on the lava route and go the bee route instead of nether/mystcraft lava world.

Ofc I forgot to mention I play the monster pack. :rolleyes:

I will look into the windmills, haven't tried them yet. They are only for IC2 I think?

Tbh the reason for my need for MJ is bc I want to start with the bees and binnies machines need a lot of power and my initial route to the "fuel bees" is a long one if I remember correctly, so quite difficult without extra bee machines. How far down are the "lava bees"? (I would make an exception for lava produced with bees :p)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ofc I forgot to mention I play the monster pack. :rolleyes:

I will look into the windmills, haven't tried them yet. They are only for IC2 I think?

Tbh the reason for my need for MJ is bc I want to start with the bees and binnies machines need a lot of power and my initial route to the "fuel bees" is a long one if I remember correctly, so quite difficult without extra bee machines. How far down are the "lava bees"? (I would make an exception for lava produced with bees :p)
Windmills are IC2 only yeah. Its the compact version of the IC2 windmill, like compact Solars is compact versions of IC2 solars.

The "lava" bee is very easy to get compared to the fuel ones. It is the Forestry Demonic one of the Infernal branch(well any from the Infernal branch will do). You take the phosphor it produces and put it in a squeezer together with sand to make lava.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
:D I actually kind of like them. Plus I'm a fan of the idea getting more people to play Minecraft... so that they get hooked and look for a better fix. Minecraft for consoles (or Pocket) is like a gateway drug.

PE is more like a gateway BUG... Although it's showing some signs of getting better, the current #2 block game is closer to full MC.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Can you cook ore dust in a slag furnace to get even more from your ores ?

No, the slag furnace only improves results on the factorization stuff. The infernal furnace from Thaumcraft might be able to improve yield but only if the dust you have cannot be obtained by processing bars. For example it does not give extra on thermal expansion pulverized stuff but it does on any stage in factorization processing. It also might work on rotarycraft's flakes. I might have to check that later.

Reactions: guiguilyon

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there a chest in the DW20 pack that has microblock support?
As in being able to place microblocks in the same block as the chest? No don't think so. Having Tile entities and microblocks occupy the same block would be complicated I think.

Reactions: RealSketch and tsjb

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah that's what I was hoping for, to make it a bit easier to hide them. Oh well, thanks a lot!
Yeah sadly not a whole lot you can do. I usually end up using the Obsidian chests from the Iron chest mod. Pure black chests fit in a lot better than anything else.
But it would be great with a chest alternative that actually fill out the entire block for certain things. The gaps between them sometimes shows stuff that you just cant hide in any way.

Reactions: tsjb

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Yeah sadly not a whole lot you can do. I usually end up using the Obsidian chests from the Iron chest mod. Pure black chests fit in a lot better than anything else.
But it would be great with a chest alternative that actually fill out the entire block for certain things. The gaps between them sometimes shows stuff that you just cant hide in any way.
Lockers from Better Storage are full blocks I think, but they can only be opened from one side.

Reactions: tsjb

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
No, the slag furnace only improves results on the factorization stuff. The infernal furnace from Thaumcraft might be able to improve yield but only if the dust you have cannot be obtained by processing bars. For example it does not give extra on thermal expansion pulverized stuff but it does on any stage in factorization processing. It also might work on rotarycraft's flakes. I might have to check that later.
heh, it does work on Rotarycraft flakes, huzza!