Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Do all GT machines blow up if they don't get enough power (32 EU/t, 128 EU/t, 16 EU/t, whatever)? At least my plate bending machine already blew up two times (it was connected to 3 solar panels -> 3 EU/t) and at first I didn't even know why. Is there a way to prevent this from happening (I heard this also happens if they idle?!), e.g. with a small upgrade or anything like that?
They shouldn't blow up on insufficient voltage, just stall. You probably have a crossed wire somewhere that's feeding too much power.

If your machines are outside it's also quite possible they got rained on and exploded because of that.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
They shouldn't blow up on insufficient voltage, just stall. You probably have a crossed wire somewhere that's feeding too much power.

If your machines are outside it's also quite possible they got rained on and exploded because of that.
Neither of these things...
I have 3 DartCraft solar panels, they are outputting 1 EU/t each. A single insulated tin cable runs under them to the left, then down into a small cave and to the front, where it splits into 3 directions: 1 is for 1 DartCraft machine (left), 1 for the metal former (right) and 1 for GT's plate bending machine (down).
Here's a picture of the setup (the dirt block indicates where the machine was):
http://imageshack.com/a/img132/2249/gn96.png

I crafted the machine a few days ago and had it in a chest until yesterday. I put it down (the wires were already there and the batbox wasn't connected) and it instantly blew up. I'm playing on a server and one of the players told me that it most likely blew up because it didn't get enough energy.
How long are they able to stall before they blow up? The thing is, I had a plate bending machine and a wiremill before and they were idleing for many hours without anything happening but once I put a ingot into the former, it blew up and also took out the other one. o_O

Last edited:

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Neither of these things...
I have 3 DartCraft solar panels, they are outputting 1 EU/t each. A single insulated tin cable runs under them to the left, then down into a small cave and to the front, where it splits into 3 directions: 1 is for 1 DartCraft machine (left), 1 for the metal former (right) and 1 for GT's plate bending machine (down).
Here's a picture of the setup (the dirt block indicates where the machine was):
http://imageshack.com/a/img132/2249/gn96.png

I crafted the machine a few days ago and had it in a chest until yesterday. I put it down (the wires were already there and the batbox wasn't connected) and it instantly blew up. I'm playing on a server and one of the players told me that it most likely blew up because it didn't get enough energy.
How long are they able to stall before they blow up? The thing is, I had a plate bending machine and a wiremill before and they were idleing for many hours without anything happening but once I put a ingot into the former, it blew up and also took out the other one. o_O
A pernicious problem with GT for a long time has been the stalling out due to lack of energy indefinitely without manual intervention.

About 10 months ago someone in the GT thread suggested making machines blow up if given insufficient power and Greg explicitly rejected the idea (source). It's much more likely to be a problem with IC2-experimental's energy net since it's still unfinished. I'm afraid I really don't have a solution, though.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
A pernicious problem with GT for a long time has been the stalling out due to lack of energy indefinitely without manual intervention.

About 10 months ago someone in the GT thread suggested making machines blow up if given insufficient power and Greg explicitly rejected the idea (source). It's much more likely to be a problem with IC2-experimental's energy net since it's still unfinished. I'm afraid I really don't have a solution, though.
So I can't do anything about it except getting rid of cetting rid of the cables when I don't use the machines?

Thanks for the link but they're only talking about unpowered machines, not ones that don't get enough power.

I just tried it again with the same setup with and without having the cable branch off (this time in Creative) - now there are two holes in the ground!
So what's the problem?! The DartCraft solar panels produce 1 EU/t but is it possible that they output more than 32 EU/t? At least the cable only takes 32 EU/t and the plate bending machines can use up to 32 EU/p, which would mean that explosion is either caused by the machine or the solar panels....

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
So I can't do anything about it except getting rid of cetting rid of the cables when I don't use the machines?

Thanks for the link but they're only talking about unpowered machines, not ones that don't get enough power.

I just tried it again with the same setup with and without having the cable branch off (this time in Creative) - now there are two holes in the ground!
So what's the problem?! The DartCraft solar panels produce 1 EU/t but is it possible that they output more than 32 EU/t? At least the cable only takes 32 EU/t and the plate bending machines can use up to 32 EU/p, which would mean that explosion is either caused by the machine or the solar panels....

In theory, tin cables only take 32 eu/t but the energynet is disabled so I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to put as much as energy as you want on any cable. Also, I'm pretty sure machines only explode once they have work to do. As long as a machine is idle it won't blow up no matter how much energy you give it (of course, ic2 had also disabled machine's blowing up while they worked on stuff but only for ic2 machines).

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
In theory, tin cables only take 32 eu/t but the energynet is disabled so I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to put as much as energy as you want on any cable. Also, I'm pretty sure machines only explode once they have work to do. As long as a machine is idle it won't blow up no matter how much energy you give it (of course, ic2 had also disabled machine's blowing up while they worked on stuff but only for ic2 machines).
Yes, I know that a few things are disabled at the moment, so it's either the solar panels' or the machine's fault that it blew up.
The plate bending machine (GregTech) blew up as soon as I placed it BUT it would explain why the others idled for a few hours and only blew up once I put an ingot in. Thanks! Breaking the machine and putting it down again should do the trick to "reset" it, I guess?

Does anyone happen to know how EU/t the DartCraft tier 1 solar panels output (I know that they produce 1EU/t)?

And another question about GregTech:
The recipe for making iron plates with the plate bending machine says "MaxEnergy: 24 EU/t". This means that the machine only uses up to 24 EU/t to produce it but is still able to take the full 32 EU/t, right?

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I know that a few things are disabled at the moment, so it's either the solar panels' or the machine's fault that it blew up.
The plate bending machine (GregTech) blew up as soon as I placed it BUT it would explain why the others idled for a few hours and only blew up once I put an ingot in. Thanks! Breaking the machine and putting it down again should do the trick to "reset" it, I guess?

Does anyone happen to know how EU/t the DartCraft tier 1 solar panels output (I know that they produce 1EU/t)?

And another question about GregTech:
The recipe for making iron plates with the plate bending machine says "MaxEnergy: 24 EU/t". This means that the machine only uses up to 24 EU/t to produce it but is still able to take the full 32 EU/t, right?

It is possible that while the solars generate 1 EU/t, they output in 32 EU packets or greater. I think this was the case with one of the advanced solars. in that circumstance, all solars sending their packet at the same time would cause an overload.

Try the same setup with only one panel, or hook up a matter fab in creative to the setup and hit the cable wwith an EU reader repeatedly.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible that while the solars generate 1 EU/t, they output in 32 EU packets or greater. I think this was the case with one of the advanced solars. in that circumstance, all solars sending their packet at the same time would cause an overload.

Try the same setup with only one panel, or hook up a matter fab in creative to the setup and hit the cable wwith an EU reader repeatedly.
I already tried it with only one force panel and it still blew up. I also hooked up a batbox an looked at the input it was getting from the panel: It didn't receive power in 32 EU packet-jumps but was counting up continuously, so I guess it really outputs 1 EU/t but something is messed up. The EU-Reader doesn't work at the moment (doesn't start reading) because the whole thing isn't finished.

Edit: Tested it with one panel and the automatic e-furnace - didn't explode. Another attempt with the plate bending machine and it didn't blow up! Wtf? This is seriously messed up if it can't decide whether it likes the the panel's output or not!

Last edited:

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I already tried it with only one force panel and it still blew up. I also hooked up a batbox an looked at the input it was getting from the panel: It didn't receive power in 32 EU packet-jumps but was counting up continuously, so I guess it really outputs 1 EU/t but something is messed up. The EU-Reader doesn't work at the moment (doesn't start reading) because the whole thing isn't finished.

Edit: Tested it with one panel and the automatic e-furnace - didn't explode. Another attempt with the plate bending machine and it didn't blow up! Wtf? This is seriously messed up if it can't decide whether it likes the the panel's output or not!

Is that oneed of those types of panels that has a bit of internal storage? If so, that's your culprit. Itwould cause an explosion once more than one panel went into buffer mode, because the next power draw would trigger 32eu/t from more than one source.

I suggest running them using copper cable into a transformer, then a bat box.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
Is that oneed of those types of panels that has a bit of internal storage? If so, that's your culprit. Itwould cause an explosion once more than one panel went into buffer mode, because the next power draw would trigger 32eu/t from more than one source.

I suggest running them using copper cable into a transformer, then a bat box.
Yes, it is. If they really output 32 EU/t (which would have been nice to know, DartCraft-guy.... :/), then yes, that definately was the problem. Thanks for the help - also to Neirin and John.E!

Is that one of the stupid changes in IC2e - I have to use a transformer although the packets aren't bigger than 32 EU (so I need an MFE + transformers for 5-16 cheap tier 1 solar panels o_O)?

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it is. If they really output 32 EU/t (which would have been nice to know, DartCraft-guy.... :/), then yes, that definately was the problem. Thanks for the help - also to Neirin and John.E!

Is that one of the stupid changes in IC2e - I have to use a transformer although the packets aren't bigger than 32 EU (so I need an MFE + transformers for 5-16 cheap tier 1 solar panels o_O)?
Well there are no more packets of EU, it's just outright additive now. So a transformer does work wonders as a voltage limiter to ensure you won't overload the machines.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Cant u just tes other sources of power or connect a batpack between solar panels and machine

Santas Batphone

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
But now I have a question. Is there an item/command that can nearly break an item so I can test these sorts of things better?

In case anyone's interested, I came up with a simple device to solve this problem (how to easily damage TiC tools to max out Stonebound/Jagged).
7BMfJZN.png
Throw your tool in the Autonomous Activator and enough junk in the block placer (add hoppers for more space if needed) to almost completely break it (remember you'll use 2 points for breaking something the tool isn't specialized for), and the vacuum hopper will pick it back up so you can reuse it. You could put the vacuum hopper on the block placer if you can come up with a way to stop the tool from being completely broken (as you can see I tried fuzzy import bus but it seemed to import regardless of the damage split setting).

Now the new question is, what's a block that's easy to get, that can be harvested very quickly by any tool? If there's anything better than dirt for this, let me know.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
^Leaves, I guess. Use Vanilla shears or IC Chainsaws to acquire, or just fly around shearing trees with your tool of choice.

LORD_MJ

Jul 29, 2019
When is it a good time to get started with Applied Energetics? I know that AE is more oriented to end game, but I want to use it for crafting, so when would be a good time to setup a system?
I will most likely use Logistic Pipes early game, but I want to switch to AE ASAP.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
^AE crafting requires a LOT of Iron, and a good chunk of Quartz Crystals (somewhere around 100 to get a ME Molecular Assembler Chamber up and running), as well as generous amounts of Redstone. It also takes some Glowstone, a bit of Gold and a Diamond here or there too. You can start as early as you manage to gather all those resources (I suggest planning ahead, so you know what to dig for). By most means, that stuff is end-game, though a simple ME Chest can be acquired early and powered by a Stirling Engine or something similiar.

Reactions: LORD_MJ

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
When is it a good time to get started with Applied Energetics? I know that AE is more oriented to end game, but I want to use it for crafting, so when would be a good time to setup a system?
I will most likely use Logistic Pipes early game, but I want to switch to AE ASAP.
I usually have it as a goal for the late "early game" to gather materials for a small MAC and basic network(controller, me chests, me drive, 1k discs, export/import bus). I have earlier preferred to take the increased grind for the MAC early in order to have access to auto crafting of all the ME parts onwards, over manually making all the items to expand my network until I can afford the MAC. Not sure if this is the case in newer versions but automation is specially wanted for all the furnace steps in the crafting recipes imo.

Reactions: LORD_MJ

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
@thephoenixlodge
Great, making it more complicated... Way to go, IC2 crew... :/

I need your help again...:
Is it possible to use transfer pipes (with a liquid transfer node, of course) to transfer creosote oil from a portable tank into a Railcraft iron tank and if so, how?
I already set it up how it should work: Portable tank (set to output), liquid transfer node on top and a transfer pipe connected to the valve (bottom in the middle) of the tank. The transfer node takes all the liquid but doesn't transfer it and I didn't manage to make it put it back into the portable tank...