Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I've been pumping Fruit juice (squeezed from apples in a forestry squeezer) and pumping it into a fermenter. However, even with fertilizer, and a full tank of juice, I get the "no recipes" message, and no biofuel is created. Any idea why I'd be seeing that? I'm sure I'm missing something elementary, so any help would be appreciated.

to add to what fox said, some saplings dont work in a fermenter. you cant use ic2 rubber, bop saplings, and a few other types.

HuelerMage

Jul 29, 2019
So i bred some meadows , rocky's and other types of bees then made queens.
My question is.
What should i do next now? I am really confused on what i will do @_@
20pvtix.png

HuelerMage

Jul 29, 2019
Ok , so after a long wait .
I got a valiant drone/princess.
Should i breed them again and the product again or breed with an another species?

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
KEEP THOSE
Do not breed the valiant bees with other bees yet.
Now, get a rocky princess and a winter drone and breed the two togheter until you get a pair of pure breed commons (try to make them keep the traits from the rocky - which allows the bee to produce combs anywhere - and the winter - 4x fertility).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So i bred some meadows , rocky's and other types of bees then made queens.
My question is.
What should i do next now? I am really confused on what i will do @_@
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Which bees are you trying to breed? If you dont want to use spoilers you need to start using the Escritoire to learn which species to breed with which. If you dont mind skipping loads of tedious experimentation here is a list of bee species(spoiler):
http://ftbwiki.org/Bee_Species
First set up a bunch of apiaries with standard meadows bees and automate them. You will need a steady supply of honey drops for bealyzing.
Best starting approach is to start with the Apis, Noble and Industrious branches. Your goal is to get a drone and princess of the new desired species with completely identical traits on both sides and both bees. Once you have that you can automate it and leave it to breed for a while in order to produce more identical drones(tip: don't analyze the drones once you get identical traits, that way the drones stack and apiaries can be automated with ease with transport pipes). Once you got a good amount of identical drones of the new species(I use 13 drones), add these drones to a new automated apiary together with a junk princess(use rocky princesses since you get loads from quarry). Continuously breeding the rocky princess with the drones will slowly change the princess traits and species to become identical to the drones(let them breed till the 13 drones you added increase to 20ish). This is a vital concept to understand in order to be able to copy bees. Continue copying till you have a decent amount of both princesses and drones of the new species. Store them away(you will need them later, so always store some away so you don't have to breed it all over again). Once this is done, continue to breed the next bee on your list of goals.

IMO, don't bother too much with breeding in specific traits into your bees. Once you have completed the Noble and Industrious branches, you can make the top tier Extrabees machines and alter traits of bees to your liking.

Also, bee breeding can be a bit complex. It helps if you understand the basics of Mendel Inheritance. You probably had it at school, learning about how eye and hair colour is handed down genetically. Bees are a bit simpler since there is no dominant traits.

Last edited:

HuelerMage

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Which bees are you trying to breed? If you dont want to use spoilers you need to start using the Escritoire to learn which species to breed with which. If you dont mind skipping loads of tedious experimentation here is a list of bee species(spoiler):
http://ftbwiki.org/Bee_Species
First set up a bunch of apiaries with standard meadows bees and automate them. You will need a steady supply of honey drops for bealyzing.
Best starting approach is to start with the Apis, Noble and Industrious branches. Your goal is to get a drone and princess of the new desired species with completely identical traits on both sides and both bees. Once you have that you can automate it and leave it to breed for a while in order to produce more identical drones(tip: don't analyze the drones once you get identical traits, that way the drones stack and apiaries can be automated with ease with transport pipes). Once you got a good amount of identical drones of the new species(I use 13 drones), add these drones to a new automated apiary together with a junk princess(use rocky princesses since you get loads from quarry). Continuously breeding the rocky princess with the drones will slowly change the princess traits and species to become identical to the drones(let them breed till the 13 drones you added increase to 20ish). This is a vital concept to understand in order to be able to copy bees. Continue copying till you have a decent amount of both princesses and drones of the new species. Store them away(you will need them later, so always store some away so you don't have to breed it all over again). Once this is done, continue to breed the next bee on your list of goals.

IMO, don't bother too much with breeding in specific traits into your bees. Once you have completed the Noble and Industrious branches, you can make the top tier Extrabees machines and alter traits of bees to your liking.

Also, bee breeding can be a bit complex. It helps if you understand the basics of Mendel Inheritance. You probably had it at school, learning about how eye and hair colour is handed down genetically. Bees are a bit simpler since there is no dominant traits.

Thank you very much! I now understand how it works.

HuelerMage

Jul 29, 2019
I was about to learn about Thaumcraft a few days before i started learning forestry but then there's something wrong.
I have like 2 quarries running but haven't encountered a single ore of dull shard.
Am i unlucky or it is glitched?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I was about to learn about Thaumcraft a few days before i started learning forestry but then there's something wrong.
I have like 2 quarries running but haven't encountered a single ore of dull shard.
Dull shards only appear as a result of you using the vis in a node where you are mining. To recover vis the nodes have the ability to suck 10 vis from infused stone of any kind and the infused stone then turns into infused stone which bears dull shards.

HuelerMage

Jul 29, 2019
is it still possible to get common bees when i reverse the princess for ex.
''Forest Princess + Meadow Drone = %Common Bee'' ?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Nope thats normal. Shards in the ground(earth, fire, vis, air, water) work like Vis batteries. When the node goes low in Vis, the shards in the ground "decay" into dull shards and release some vis to the node. Overcharging a node will cause the dull shards to go back to normal shards and will cause some stone to become new shards.
If you want dull shards there are 2 things you can do:
1: Try and dig near your thaumcraft lab or near where you have used tools with repair enchant a lot. This is usually not very viable.
2: Get a tool with Repair enchant on it(Hoe of growth is great for it, its quarenteed repair enchant and uses a lot of vis). Go to your quarry world/area, plant a sapling and put a block of stone directly above the sapling. Use the hoe of growth on the sapling until its durability goes low, and afk while the hoe recharges. Do this as many times as you can stand, and you should have increased chance of getting dull shards now.[DOUBLEPOST=1385148223][/DOUBLEPOST]
is it still possible to get common bees when i reverse the princess for ex.
''Forest Princess + Meadow Drone = %Common Bee'' ?
Yes which species is the princess and the done doesn't matter.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
If you're just starting out, you might enjoy watching GenerikB's Bee Academy. Takes you through all the basics in a 5 part you-tube series.

Here's episode one:

Reactions: groundhog

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
All right! I have a 1.6 world set up, and I have a tree farm with MFR set up, right? Well, here's my problem:
2013-11-22_14.10.02.png

This happens every single time I look away. It's like it's complaining that I'm not giving it any attention, or something. How am I supposed to tweak this system to make it work?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
All right! I have a 1.6 world set up, and I have a tree farm with MFR set up, right? Well, here's my problem:

This happens every single time I look away. It's like it's complaining that I'm not giving it any attention, or something. How am I supposed to tweak this system to make it work?

Did you put any range upgrades in? The harvester needs range upgrades.