Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
omg, what a complete brain fart. The reason nether wart wasn't showing up in my AE was because I had an export bus set to send all nether wart to the planter. So it wasn't going to show up in AE until the planter is full. It took until now (over 24 hours) for the planter to fill up. But from now on, it's going to show in AE.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Question for mostly vanilla. Never actually played too much vanilla but I wanted to in 1.6.2, Ill make a second heavily modded world but this first one is just small mods. And I feel like a newborn. First, what are best ways to feed yourself those first days? In 1.5 carrots and potatoes threw themselves at me. Ima guess just make bread, which Im aiming for. In between the whole die and reset hunger attempts.

My real question is about IC2. Ive always had IC2 installed but I always started with thermal expansion. So Im unsure what is a nice way to start with just small IC2 stuff. Hell, never used a macerator before cause I always had a pulv. What is good energy for the beginning to sustain myself just a bit before going further? man, vanilla is tough compared to fully modded worlds.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
My real question is about IC2. Ive always had IC2 installed but I always started with thermal expansion. So Im unsure what is a nice way to start with just small IC2 stuff. Hell, never used a macerator before cause I always had a pulv. What is good energy for the beginning to sustain myself just a bit before going further? man, vanilla is tough compared to fully modded worlds.
Generator, Batbox, insulated copper wire.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Question for mostly vanilla. Never actually played too much vanilla but I wanted to in 1.6.2, Ill make a second heavily modded world but this first one is just small mods. And I feel like a newborn. First, what are best ways to feed yourself those first days? In 1.5 carrots and potatoes threw themselves at me. Ima guess just make bread, which Im aiming for. In between the whole die and reset hunger attempts.

When I do a pure IC2 start I tend to build a generator, then a batbox with some cable coming out to attach machines to, then either an extracor (if rubber is my limiting resource) or macerator. Follow that up with an electric furnace and eventually a compressor and you can do all the processing needed for basic IC2.

From the basic generator you can either upgrade to lava power or bio-power (if appropriate mods installed). Eventually you might want to either start working on nuclear reactors (and fusion if you have GT) or solar panels (if you don't want to mess with nukes), though most people just add on a few dozen more (geo)thermal generators whenever they need more power.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Do Geothermal Generators have the same waste energy problem that solid-fuel Generators have? Or, do they just use lava in small enough amounts that they don't waste fuel generating tiny amounts of EU?

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Do Geothermal Generators have the same waste energy problem that solid-fuel Generators have? Or, do they just use lava in small enough amounts that they don't waste fuel generating tiny amounts of EU?

As far as I know, geothermal generators don't use any fuel they don't need to.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Geothermals are unique in the way they work: Every tick, it checks if there is room for at least 20 EU in its internal buffer. If so, it consumes a single mB of lava and adds 20 EU to its internal buffer. If not, it will do nothing that tick. Therefore, it's impossible for a geothermal generator to waste lava.

You can observe this behavior well if you place a single Recycler (consuming 1 EU/t) next to a geothermal, and watch what the geothermal's internal buffer does. It'll drop slowly, and exactly once per second, will jump back up to full as the generator executes a single burn tick.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
When I do a pure IC2 start I tend to build a generator, then a batbox with some cable coming out to attach machines to, then either an extracor (if rubber is my limiting resource) or macerator. Follow that up with an electric furnace and eventually a compressor and you can do all the processing needed for basic IC2.

From the basic generator you can either upgrade to lava power or bio-power (if appropriate mods installed). Eventually you might want to either start working on nuclear reactors (and fusion if you have GT) or solar panels (if you don't want to mess with nukes), though most people just add on a few dozen more (geo)thermal generators whenever they need more power.

Well no other machine mods are on 1.6.2. So its just ic2 for now I believe. But Ill take this into account. I was actually debating a water mill just cause I had one in 1.4.7 and they look funny. But theyre also inefficient for the cost though they are free energy, technically. Building it my first time was fun. Never tried windmills. Usually went the solars route.

On that note. What is the most efficient way to get energy through charcoal? I know there is some convolouted process where you can make something, burn something else and make like .2 charcoals more for your wood.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
They do, and have always done so...

Nuclear reactors also run regardless of whether you take any EU from them or not.
And the renewables do as well, but for obvious reasons that's completely irrelevant :p

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Random question. How hard would an underground base be to make? I dont exactly understand all the physics of water, I know sometimes it will just flow over an opening or a path and othertimes it will flood it like.. a really big flood. I always wanted to try an underground base though but Im unsure how Id honestly go about it in a vanilla world.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
Random question. How hard would an underground base be to make? I dont exactly understand all the physics of water, I know sometimes it will just flow over an opening or a path and othertimes it will flood it like.. a really big flood. I always wanted to try an underground base though but Im unsure how Id honestly go about it in a vanilla world.

underground is easy as it's just a fancy hole in the ground

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
In FTB, building an underground base is incredibly easy, because you can use fillers or quarries to dig a space out for you.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
GAH. I meant underwater. Not underground. =(

And this is for 1.6.2. So no mods outside of IC2.

I figure in vanilla glass would be hard to mass produce at the start. So I was thinking some half glass panes/glass and then stone elsewhere. But Im unsure how to actually do the whole building part. You have breath, and I dont know how water works when recrating itself if you dig holes. Or if you build under it how to keep water out of what youre building. Etc

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Build a small room to start with. Signs or ladders are quite useful for making quick air holes. An easy vanilla method of clearing out a room of water source blocks is to make sure it is enclosed on all sides and then fill it with either wool, wood or leaves (whichever you have best access to), basically anything flammable and then light it with flint and steel. So long as there was no way for water to get into that room you should have a nice dry room.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Build a small room to start with. Signs or ladders are quite useful for making quick air holes. An easy vanilla method of clearing out a room of water source blocks is to make sure it is enclosed on all sides and then fill it with either wool, wood or leaves (whichever you have best access to), basically anything flammable and then light it with flint and steel. So long as there was no way for water to get into that room you should have a nice dry room.

So if there are no source blocks in a room, aslong as water has no direct path into the free space it will stay dry? So say I make a small dry room and want to expand. If I stand on the edge of the dry room and step into the 'waterfall' of ocean water. If I keep extending it outward, would it kill the sourceblocks underneath? Or would I need to just constantly clear them out whenever I want to expand?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
When viewed from the side like that water source blocks use the flowing water texture for some reason. However, they are still source blocks and won't disappear on their own. Each time you extend your base you will have to clear out the water source blocks and simply adding the roof will not do. I don't know if there is a difference but I think leaves burn faster. Maybe they are harvestable with the chainsaw too although that might just be the gravisuite version.