Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
So in 152wgt there is tinkers construct which generates some new nether ores - namely Ardite and Cobalt - Mining turtles break the ore and I would rather keep it as it's pretty rare. Quarries dig up the ore but when I use a quarry it misses areas which it should mine... it's really bizarre
The turtles break it, but don't get any ore from it, and the quarries miss areas? What do you mean by that?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having some serious efficiency issues with my tier 5 spawner set up. It's literally just them spawning into a room with water that makes then flow to one corner in a wall, go 8 blocks, and fall into the shaft where I massacre them. It was 23 blocks, but they were dying. Now it's 22 blocks, and they are still dying. I don't know where a long the line they would be taking additional damage, but I just let that spawner run for like an hour and only killed 2 dozen skeletons. Thanks in advance!

Arii1986

Jul 29, 2019
The turtles break it, but don't get any ore from it, and the quarries miss areas? What do you mean by that?

Sorry forgive my very poor explanation skills... the mining turtle will destroy cobalt/ardite

As for the quarry - I setup a 64 x 64 quarry and it was mining fine but left a large area untouched for no apparent reason - I thought it would mine the part it missed when it got to the bottom but it just left it

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry forgive my very poor explanation skills... the mining turtle will destroy cobalt/ardite

As for the quarry - I setup a 64 x 64 quarry and it was mining fine but left a large area untouched for no apparent reason - I thought it would mine the part it missed when it got to the bottom but it just left it
Was the chuck that the quarry was missing, by any chance, a chuck of obsidian? I've had problems before where my quarry wouldn't mine obsidian, but it would mine out all other blocks around it. I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I think it had something to do with me manually turning the blocks into obsidian or making sure there was no lava around it or under it. But now I run quarries fine without that issue, so if it's the same thing that dealt with, it's fixable.

As for the turtles, if they mine the ore, why not use those? Or by destroy, to you mean they literally destroy it and drop nothing? If that's the case maybe you need to give them a better pickaxe.

Arii1986

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having some serious efficiency issues with my tier 5 spawner set up. It's literally just them spawning into a room with water that makes then flow to one corner in a wall, go 8 blocks, and fall into the shaft where I massacre them. It was 23 blocks, but they were dying. Now it's 22 blocks, and they are still dying. I don't know where a long the line they would be taking additional damage, but I just let that spawner run for like an hour and only killed 2 dozen skeletons. Thanks in advance!

I had a similar problem with a wither skellie farm - what I did was after the 8 block water trench have a block where they can stand - what will happen is that a skeleton will stop on the block but then get pushed off by another skeleton.

I think the water makes them jump up a bit and they take a bit of extra damage which kills them.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I had a similar problem with a wither skellie farm - what I did was after the 8 block water trench have a block where they can stand - what will happen is that a skeleton will stop on the block but then get pushed off by another skeleton.

I think the water makes them jump up a bit and they take a bit of extra damage which kills them.
I had that exact thought as I read that. Thanks!

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
What is the best protection against fall damage? For a reasonable price?
For completionism's sakes there are also Rubber boots (6 rubber, 1 wool), Quantum Boots (VERY expensive) MPS boots (Pretty cheap, possibly cheaper than Long Fall Boots depending on how many diamonds you have and which recipes are enabled), Boots of the Traveller (not a colossal difference but they help and they allow you to jump higher and run faster) and finally anything enchanted with "Feather Falling" (works especially well with the Boots of the Traveller)

Reactions: JonasAjax

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
What is the best protection against fall damage? For a reasonable price?
My favorite is the long fall boots - 0 fall damage from any height and never wear out. They require 4 diamonds, but that's the same as if you wanted diamond boots.

MPS boots have a shock absorber module that will stop fall damage at the cost of a small amount of energy.

Rubber boots are probably the cheapest fall damage prevention item, but they run out very quickly so I don't particularly recommend them.

EDIT: Ninja'd x3

Reactions: JonasAjax

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to kill only adult mobs, and not the babies?
There's an MFR block, I think it's called the Rancher, which can seperate them for you. Railcraft also has a rail that will dump out an animal if it is an adult but keep it if it is a child (or the other way round). I haven't tested either of them much though.

EDIT: QKninja is smarter than me, the MFR block is called a Chronotyper

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
Mfr's chronotyper might help with that. It separates adults and babies, and from there you can set up a grinder.

Edit: ninja'd!

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to kill only adult mobs, and not the babies?
The chronotyper from MFR can pull out adults or babies into a separate area. A classic setup is to have a chronotyper pull babies out of a breeding pen and into a holding area until they grow up at which point a 2nd chronotyper pulls the grown mobs into a pen for slaughtering.

I believe you can also hook something up with railcraft detectors, but I've never personally tried.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I had that exact thought as I read that. Thanks!
It worked, they're all one hit now, but I still have a few problems. the Skeletons seemed buggy, like I'd clearly hit 10 of them and I'd miss them when I do hit it's only one. I can't buzz through all the mobs I've collected, which isn't very much because of the next problem. I left it run for like 2 hours and I went from level 7-24. I should be at like 50, right? I don't understand it, and getting that shard wasn't easy and I'm questioning if it was worth it now.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
It worked, they're all one hit now, but I still have a few problems. the Skeletons seemed buggy, like I'd clearly hit 10 of them and I'd miss them when I do hit it's only one. I can't buzz through all the mobs I've collected, which isn't very much because of the next problem. I left it run for like 2 hours and I went from level 7-24. I should be at like 50, right? I don't understand it, and getting that shard wasn't easy and I'm questioning if it was worth it now.

Levels cost more and more experience the higher level you are after level 16.
As for your skeletons, have you tried a Sword of the Zephyr or Instant Damage potion for splash damage?

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
How can you automate the MFR Auto-Enchanter? Trying to feed books into it. A router carries on shoving books into it even when the top slot is full, which destroys the books at a rate of knots. A hopper on top causes crashes. I can't regulate the router using gates because the gate apparently makes the enchanter shut off. Any other ideas?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Levels cost more and more experience the higher level you are after level 16.
As for your skeletons, have you tried a Sword of the Zephyr or Instant Damage potion for splash damage?
I know they cost more, but before I made the fix, I got 3 level 30 enchants. Now, with it fixed, I'm not even getting a third of that. And I let it run twice as long. I have the Sword of the Zephyr, I just want repair to fix it because I'm too lazy to make a new one. I haven't gotten into potions at all.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
How would I get my Gate to automatically send the stirling engine it's attached to fuel when it needs it? I don't know what to do with the redstone signal it will send out when there is space in the inventory.