Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway to do this and not lose all the blocks? I mean, I can live without them. But if i missed some quartz Id be upset.

Yes and no. Yes if you leave it alone a filler WILL destory all the blocks without exeptions. However if you stand right ontop of the blocks get get broken you can scoop them into your inventory. However this requires you to watch really well whenever it is approching quartz and quickly move closer to be able to get the quatz. But in all honesty you probly wont be able to get it.

If you want the blocks that will be mined away you have use eiter a quarry or a turtle. With a good turtle program you can tell it how deep to dig so it will stop where you want to. But without codes you could use a quarry, simply make a lava lake under the digging area at the level you want the quarry to stop. When its done remove the quarry, dump water over the lava and replace it with your floor of choice.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway to do this and not lose all the blocks? I mean, I can live without them. But if i missed some quartz Id be upset.

If you want the blocks then you need to use a quarry. Just shut it off if it has gone deep enough. You might also want to use a filler to create a smooth grass field.

My base sits on top of a 48x48 hole I dug with a quarry (to provide underground space for tanks etc.). The ground layer I created with a filler to give the impression it's just normal terrain.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm. Coolieos. One more thing. I wanna get started on automation. But I wanna start small. Perhaps just stuff like if x, y z or appear in my ME system, they get grindered, then the results are put back in to either get smelted, left alone, or electrolyzed. Then those results are put back into the system. What sort of pipes would I be looking at? And would it end up being a convoluted mess of pipes? Since pipes are only 1 way it means stuff needs to be pipped on 3 sides right? Uugu. v.v This is why I do stuff manually cause I couldnt see how a giant automative system could look nice.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm. Coolieos. One more thing. I wanna get started on automation. But I wanna start small. Perhaps just stuff like if x, y z or appear in my ME system, they get grindered, then the results are put back in to either get smelted, left alone, or electrolyzed. Then those results are put back into the system. What sort of pipes would I be looking at? And would it end up being a convoluted mess of pipes? Since pipes are only 1 way it means stuff needs to be pipped on 3 sides right? Uugu. v.v This is why I do stuff manually cause I couldnt see how a giant automative system could look nice.

Fire up a creative flat world and try it out? Finding out how stuff works is half the fun!

Grinding ore and then smelting it is easy. The export busses can put ores / dusts into pulverizers / furnaces. Import busses can take the products out. So with this setup you need 3 connections for a pulverizer / furnace: power, a ME export bus and a ME import bus.[DOUBLEPOST=1371474752][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just wanted to bring this up again...

There isn't a specific version it will or will not work with. You didn't get a response because "it doesn't work" isn't enough information to help anyone.

Leo Sainio

Jul 29, 2019
Fire up a creative flat world and try it out? Finding out how stuff works is half the fun!

Grinding ore and then smelting it is easy. The export busses can put ores / dusts into pulverizers / furnaces. Import busses can take the products out. So with this setup you need 3 connections for a pulverizer / furnace: power, a ME export bus and a ME import bus.[DOUBLEPOST=1371474752][/DOUBLEPOST]

There isn't a specific version it will or will not work with. You didn't get a response because "it doesn't work" isn't enough information to help anyone.

What version of java you have?
On page 190 you can find more info about my problem

Tdodge90

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to extract items from storage barrels without having to manually empty each one and transfer it to a chest?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to extract items from storage barrels without having to manually empty each one and transfer it to a chest?

Wooden pipe + Redstone cell outputting at 10MJ/t. It'll be empty before you can say "what the F?".

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe the tech support forums are a better place for this issue. The people there have potentially seen it before. This is more of a gameplay thread, meaning we are unlikely to know about such errors.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Industrial Steam Engines output MJ, so you need one additional step before the MFSUs. The most efficient is to use an igneous extruder and several magma cruicibles, then push the resulting lava into a thermal generator.

Note that the boiler is only for you're burning a very large amount of biomass or biofuel at a time, with the caveat that you will need (very) many MFSU -- one for every 33 buckets of biofuel. Since it only makes sense to use a steam boiler if you're running tens of hundreds of buckets of fuel, this may be excessive for most folk without massive baseline power use. Several combustion engines will be more efficient if you're running only a hundred buckets of biofuel, and are cheaper, too.
I will have a large amount of biofuel initially, but eventually I'd like continual power gain, but on a balanced system. So I'm constantly producing energy, but my supply never really runs out, and required minimal intervention from me. Is this possible with Steam boilers?[DOUBLEPOST=1371480002][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not the best person to give design advice most likely, but regarding this part of your question I would suggest just using a filler. Use landmarks to mark out the area, set the filler to 'flatten' mode (I believe it's three bricks across the bottom and three glass on top of that). Then feed it some MJ and you're golden!

(Note that in the latest version(s?) you will lose whatever blocks it clears.)
If you have a Portal gun, and aim one portal at the moon, and another on the ground, it will suck up all blocks in a fairly small area. If you do this on the level you want, you should clear it out rather quickly, but there is also more risk involved than using a filler.

Arii1986

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all, I'm interested in setting up some kind of mining operation in the nether for netherack - I don't want to use Turtles and quarries seem to be a bit bugged for me, also I'm on 152wgt so I don't have access to frames or block breakers - any other suggestions?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all, I'm interested in setting up some kind of mining operation in the nether for netherack - I don't want to use Turtles and quarries seem to be a bit bugged for me, also I'm on 152wgt so I don't have access to frames or block breakers - any other suggestions?
Maybe a mining well or laser?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
As in a mining laser? I would prefer not to do it too manually ;)
Yessir. If you don't want to do it manually, then a mining well would work, but they only dig a 1 block wide shaft. So you'd need a lot of them, have to tend to them often, and need to power them all. Plus you'd be in the nether. Besides the mining laser, quarries, or mining turtle... May I ask why you don't want to use a mining turtle?

Arii1986

Jul 29, 2019

So in 152wgt there is tinkers construct which generates some new nether ores - namely Ardite and Cobalt - Mining turtles break the ore and I would rather keep it as it's pretty rare. Quarries dig up the ore but when I use a quarry it misses areas which it should mine... it's really bizarre