Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone help with biomes oplenty? I installed the update and my sakura forest turned into a snowy conifer forest. Fine, whatever. But now it snows and it keeps freezing the water in my plant farm. Does frozen water still grow plants? And if not, how could I protect my water? If I were to make it like a glass house, would that stop the freezing?

I believe so, from memory, it's water that is exposed to the sky or another ice block in a snowy biome that freezes. So making a glass house/some sort of roof should work.

EDIT: Ice doesn't hydrate surrounding soil, it's water source blocks, and potentially flowing water that does

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
I believe so, from memory, it's water that is exposed to the sky or another ice block in a snowy biome that freezes. So making a glass house/some sort of roof should work.

EDIT: Ice doesn't hydrate surrounding soil, it's water source blocks, and potentially flowing water that does

So basically make a greenhouse. Thats fine. I actually like the snowy biome, Im weirded out that my biome changed. But the snow is cool.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I just made a tier 5 skelly cage and I set it up in a 9x9 room with a hole in the middle for the mobs to drop down and I can one hit them. I've noticed that there is pretty serious congestion at the hole, and they skellies keep pushing on each other to get though and it's just not efficient and I don't know how to do it without making it a 2x2 hole. Any help? Second, the whole spawn room is covered in water to push the mobs to the center, and the cage is 5 blocks above the center point. Some of the skellys die on impact, and I'm wondering if they take a little fall damage from 5 blocks into flowing water. Thanks in advance.
You could try using the water to push the skeletons into a 1x3 hole, then use pistons (on a timer) to push them into your 1x1 hole.

EDIT: I'm also having a problem with my sorting machines. For seemingly random reasons, they get jammed. I'm place an item in that has a destination somewhere along the line and it either sits in the first chest, or it will sit in any other buffer chest I have in use. I got rid of the buffer chest, and it still didn't send it through, and the only way I know how to un-jam the SM is to break it, and to put all of the items back in is a huge hassle. It's important this system work all the time and is easily fixable, so any help is appreciated.
Can you post a screenshot of the GUI of one of the sorting machines?
Note that they will only jam when they have nowhere to send items- so make sure that you specify a default color, and that there's no tubes painted other colors between the sorter and wherever the unsorted items go- i.e. the next sorter or an unsorted junk chest.

Can someone help with biomes oplenty? I installed the update and my sakura forest turned into a snowy conifer forest. Fine, whatever. But now it snows and it keeps freezing the water in my plant farm. Does frozen water still grow plants? And if not, how could I protect my water? If I were to make it like a glass house, would that stop the freezing?
Water will freeze if it's at a light level below 12 or so (ignoring sunlight) AND it can see the sky AND there's a block horizontally adjacent to it that isn't water.
So, place torches or glowstone near your water sources, or put something above them. I'm not sure if glass works; you might need something that isn't transparent. Slabs high up in the air should work.
If you've got a lake or a pond that you don't want to freeze over, you need only illuminate or shade the outer edge. Water in the middle of an unfrozen lake won't freeze- but the edges can, so nearby water sources are now adjacent to ice, so they will freeze in short order.
In order to thaw a frozen lake, you'll need to either cover the whole thing and pickaxe all the ice, or illuminate the whole thing and wait.

Wrath lamps might be handy here. One could probably prevent a 15x15 area of water from freezing, and even thaw any pre-existing ice in that area. It would also melt snow, so maybe this isn't the solution for your problem.

Glowstone underneath your water sources might work, too. This might be your best option, if you don't want to interfere with snow. I like the appearance of glowstone under water, even without worrying about anything freezing.

As has been mentioned, ice won't hydrate farmland- but trees don't need hydrated soil, and Xychorium Soil doesn't need water. Flowing water does, in fact, hydrate soil as well as water sources.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Well Im currently on 1.5.2 and my own modpack. Its essentially FTB, but whatever. My farm set up is tiny though. Its just a 2x2 of water surrounded by 3 blocks outward on all sides with dirt. Since I havent figured a better way to farm cause Im still very new to automation regardless of all the materials I have. I may try the glowstone though. And the glasshouse. Just to make it look prettier. This may only be my world but no reason to sacrifice aesthetics. What should I aim for learning next? I already have about infinite energy. Im draining the nether with my 6 thermals. I have a industrial grinder. 2 mfsu's supplied by different objects(Solars for 1 and thermals the other)

Never tried forestry and bees, still have MFR to try, and all the other mods you can assume someone would have.

The only 'big' mod I dont have is factorization. Should I get it? The only world gen it adds is silver right? So I should be ok since I have silver from another mod so it should all be the same, just different numbers.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Well Im currently on 1.5.2 and my own modpack. Its essentially FTB, but whatever. My farm set up is tiny though. Its just a 2x2 of water surrounded by 3 blocks outward on all sides with dirt. Since I havent figured a better way to farm cause Im still very new to automation regardless of all the materials I have. I may try the glowstone though. And the glasshouse. Just to make it look prettier. This may only be my world but no reason to sacrifice aesthetics. What should I aim for learning next? I already have about infinite energy. Im draining the nether with my 6 thermals. I have a industrial grinder. 2 mfsu's supplied by different objects(Solars for 1 and thermals the other)

Never tried forestry and bees, still have MFR to try, and all the other mods you can assume someone would have.

The only 'big' mod I dont have is factorization. Should I get it? The only world gen it adds is silver right? So I should be ok since I have silver from another mod so it should all be the same, just different numbers.

If you're asking of you should get factorization, it's really up to you. It adds a bunch of cool stuff, most notably barrels. It also allows you to triple yield on certain ores.

You won't miss it terribly if you don't have it though.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
If you're asking of you should get factorization, it's really up to you. It adds a bunch of cool stuff, most notably barrels. It also allows you to triple yield on certain ores.

You won't miss it terribly if you don't have it though.

Better yield then just industrial grinding everything?

And I have barrels. Theyre just not big enough. Need to craft my DSUs!

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Better yield then just industrial grinding everything?

And I have barrels. Theyre just not big enough. Need to craft my DSUs!

You get 300% yield, but with no extra stuff from it, so the grinder ends up being better if you want all the little bit's and bob's.

I think it also add's the wrath lamps, which are awesome light sources, but sometimes buggy. Oh, and the wrath igniter is fun.

Still, if you don't have it, you won't miss it. DSU's...darn, now I need to craft those.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
You get 300% yield, but with no extra stuff from it, so the grinder ends up being better if you want all the little bit's and bob's.

I think it also add's the wrath lamps, which are awesome light sources, but sometimes buggy. Oh, and the wrath igniter is fun.

Still, if you don't have it, you won't miss it. DSU's...darn, now I need to craft those.

Yeah. I need lights. But I may use greg's lighting. But they look terrible since I have a wood house. Wrath lamps would look better but Ive seen on stream the lag they can cause. So lux capicators. Redstone lights, and.. glowstone I guess.

Guess Ill do without it then. And try and figure out what to do next. Im debating bees. Hrm. But Im also addicted to cave diving. I dont know why. I should quarry honestly, never done one. But finding caves and exploring is so much more fun.

I think Im playing minecraft wrong.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. I need lights. But I may use greg's lighting. But they look terrible since I have a wood house. Wrath lamps would look better but Ive seen on stream the lag they can cause. So lux capicators. Redstone lights, and.. glowstone I guess.

Guess Ill do without it then. And try and figure out what to do next. Im debating bees. Hrm. But Im also addicted to cave diving. I dont know why. I should quarry honestly, never done one. But finding caves and exploring is so much more fun.

There's no wrong way to play minecraft! :D

If you're thinking of bee's and lighting, know that natural hives that can be picked up with a gravity-gun give off light. Kinda cool, but kinda useless too. I've personally just put some redstone lamps behind stained glass, until something better comes along.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
There's no wrong way to play minecraft! :D

If you're thinking of bee's and lighting, know that natural hives that can be picked up with a gravity-gun give off light. Kinda cool, but kinda useless too. I've personally just put some redstone lamps behind stained glass, until something better comes along.

I want to try bees as just something new, not as lighting. I need something new to try. Its either that or learn how to automate stuff with pipes. And thats scurry.

As for lighting. I really like greg's light. The floodlight. Because of how much it covers. But it looks terrible. And my walls are only 1 thick.... Though you made me thing. I wonder if greg's lights can work though glass. Cause I could use camo glass then and just hide it behind my middle walls. There Im hiding wiring for different levels of my house. Thank you for the spur of thought! Even though it was really me who came up with the idea.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I want to try bees as just something new, not as lighting. I need something new to try. Its either that or learn how to automate stuff with pipes. And thats scurry.

As for lighting. I really like greg's light. The floodlight. Because of how much it covers. But it looks terrible. And my walls are only 1 thick.... Though you made me thing. I wonder if greg's lights can work though glass. Cause I could use camo glass then and just hide it behind my middle walls. There Im hiding wiring for different levels of my house. Thank you for the spur of thought! Even though it was really me who came up with the idea.

Glad to help, you do what you do.

I've never messed with bees, except to breed trees. And all my automation is with pipes anyway.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I need help deciding the method of sending signals in a program I am making.
The program is a computercraft Rubik's Cube and I was hoping that the user could fly around the cube and quickly make moves instead of going back to the computer and typing in the next move
there are 12 moves possible (6 faces, can be rotated clockwise and anticlockwise)
My options were:
  • 6 Wireless Remotes to rotate each of the faces (this means that an anticlockwise turn will take 3 turns clockwise)
  • Chat Input, i can set up a chatbox to read chat input and do the moves it says but again it will be slow stopping to chat every time i make a move
these were the only ones i can think of, is there any other methods people could suggest?

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I need help deciding the method of sending signals in a program I am making.
The program is a computercraft Rubik's Cube and I was hoping that the user could fly around the cube and quickly make moves instead of going back to the computer and typing in the next move
there are 12 moves possible (6 faces, can be rotated clockwise and anticlockwise)
My options were:
  • 6 Wireless Remotes to rotate each of the faces (this means that an anticlockwise turn will take 3 turns clockwise)
  • Chat Input, i can set up a chatbox to read chat input and do the moves it says but again it will be slow stopping to chat every time i make a move
these were the only ones i can think of, is there any other methods people could suggest?
Six-button touchcreen at the opposite of every face? Might have to use noteblocks of something though.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Because you can lay them flat and use the thaumcraft arcane ear instead of wireless redstone.

i can make the touchscreen link up to wireless redstone though
anyways thats the first ive ever heard of an arcane ear XD
still not sure if thats what i want to go with

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
i can make the touchscreen link up to wireless redstone though
anyways thats the first ive ever heard of an arcane ear XD
still not sure if thats what i want to go with
Yeah, they're pretty useless. I made an alright combination lock with them once though.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019

Wrath lamps only lag while they're flooding the area with lightblocks. They're just like any other light afterwards in terms of "lag".

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Wrath lamps only lag while they're flooding the area with lightblocks. They're just like any other light afterwards in terms of "lag".
Not sure if it's been fixed, but wrath lamps have other issues as well, like messing with multiblock formation and tree growth, due to the invisible "light blocks" they use to illuminate such a large area.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Is there any way I can illuminate my steves cart tree farm so it produces at night as well? (Using oak saplings)

Edit: NVM, there is a way, lol. (Glowstone in my case)