Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

gRntaus

Jul 29, 2019
What do you guys use Xchorium for? I always have so much and never know what to do with it. Also I run a local server on a local LAN network and for some reason boats are super buggy (which is a tad annoying given our map at the moment) is this common? By buggy I mean getting "stuck" in water and warping you back to the shore and breaking your boat etc.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Desyncs with boats are common if the server isn't running exceptionally well. If by LAN server you mean "opening SSP worlds to LAN", then I can't help you. But if you're running the actual dedicated Minecraft server (and aren't afraid of a somewhat more complex tweak) you can try installing and using Oracle JRockit. It made my server super smooth and eliminated the desyncing behavior with boats.

As for the Xychorium, I simply don't run Xycraft... :p

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
What do you guys use Xchorium for? I always have so much and never know what to do with it. Also I run a local server on a local LAN network and for some reason boats are super buggy (which is a tad annoying given our map at the moment) is this common? By buggy I mean getting "stuck" in water and warping you back to the shore and breaking your boat etc.
I've only used a small amount for a few fabricators, a DNA tank, and a couple of odd blocks like a Liquid Void, Xychorium Water, and Xychorium Soil. I have a diamond chest that is half full of cyrstals and half full of blocks of crystals. That's nearly 6,000 of each kind of crystal in total. I was holding on in case the power system appeared, but it looks likely that that will be 1.5 or 1.6 and so a new world (it might be possible to kep my world, but I'm thinking of re-starting anyway).

I suppose if you make a 64x64x16-deep Xychorium Soil farm then you might chew through quite a lot of green crystals. I have about enough for a 16x16x9 farm for 10x plant growth rate. I'm using Xeno's Lillypads instead though.

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure to check the other options, the arrows at the top cycle through the different machines available to make that particular item, and then arrows down the bottom of the recipe provide alternate recipes with that particular machine. If you look through you'll find platinum dust is a suitable alternative to shiny dust.

I might as well tell you anyhow, but it's much easier looking it up on NEI yourself than waiting for a forum to answer. Platnium dust can be produced in a number of ways, however I recommend not doing any except using the industrial grinder, as it is the one which produces the highest yeild of this precious dust. Sheldonite ore can be ground up for a high yield and some iridium nuggets on the side. I personally don't actually know how to get this other than it's in the end. The next best after that is obviously iridium ore, followed by ferrous ore. Iridium ore will obviously give you iridium alongside the platinum but however is quite rare to find.

Both iridium ore and ferrous ore will only give you tiny piles (1/4 of a dust) unless ground with mercury cells. So, once again I recommend only grinding these with mercury cells to increase your yield of this precious dust.

So grinding ferrous/ sheldonite / iridium ore itself with mercury cell that can be acquired by grinding ruby if I'm not wrong / red stone? I forgot exactly what it is. This is the best way?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
So grinding ferrous/ sheldonite / iridium ore itself with mercury cell that can be acquired by grinding ruby if I'm not wrong / red stone? I forgot exactly what it is. This is the best way?
Mercury Cells can also be made by electrolyzing nether cinnabar dust, or canning thaumcraft quicksilver (in an automatic canner).

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Mercury Cells can also be made by electrolyzing nether cinnabar dust, or canning thaumcraft quicksilver (in an automatic canner).

O yeah cinnabar that's it i forgot what it is :p.
Then i grind the mercury cell in thr industrial grinder with those 3 ores right?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I know a solid fuel boiler can pull fuel directly from a chest sitting next to the firebox. Can it pull fuel from a barrel sitting next to the firebox?

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
O yeah cinnabar that's it i forgot what it is :p.
Then i grind the mercury cell in thr industrial grinder with those 3 ores right?
Always for Ferrous Ore (Platinum Dust instead of tiny pile), Iridium Ore (Platinum dust instead of two tiny piles), and whenever possible for Sheldonite. Gold Ore, Silver Ore, and Copper Ore can be nice with Mercury, too, but they're usually less important, and Copper Ore and Gold Ore can be ground with Sodium Persulfate for more copper return instead.

((Although this is very energy-intensive.))

Reactions: reddvilzz

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
In your PRC, select SR-Latch (or whatever PowerCrystals calls the thing), connect S to I/O Orange (REC is Empty), R to White (REC is Full), and Q to Magenta.
Thus, when your REC empties, the orange gate will turn on, trigger S, turn on Q, and turn on the engines.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was confused at first because my setup was exactly this and it would not work. So I pulled it apart, tested it with levers and a piece of redstone to show the signal. I couldn't get anything to work. Then it dawned on me that your description of colors was a hint. Once I actually put rednet cable between the PRC and the SRQ connections it worked like a charm. *facepalm*

Darknesschaos

Jul 29, 2019
This one is a two-part question (latest ultimate recommended pack)
1) Is the iridium recipe in the fusion reactor worth it, or would it just be better to make power and have it feed x matterfabs?

2) Without redpower sorters, is there an un-powered way to split an exact ratio of items to different paths? what I need is for 1 item to go one way, and 4 to go another but all 5 are the same exact item.

Mac15001900

Jul 29, 2019
There is a recipe for industrial centrifuge converting 16 mushroom stews into one methane cell. The problem is, mushroom stews don`t stack, so how do I make it work?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
This one is a two-part question (latest ultimate recommended pack)
1) Is the iridium recipe in the fusion reactor worth it, or would it just be better to make power and have it feed x matterfabs?

2) Without redpower sorters, is there an un-powered way to split an exact ratio of items to different paths? what I need is for 1 item to go one way, and 4 to go another but all 5 are the same exact item.
For number 1: yes, using the fusion reactor recipe is several times cheaper in terms of EU.

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
[SIZE=11px said:
Darknesschaos][/SIZE]2) Without redpower sorters, is there an un-powered way to split an exact ratio of items to different paths? what I need is for 1 item to go one way, and 4 to go another but all 5 are the same exact item.

You could probably pump all the items into the chest and have two wooden transport pipes connected to it. On one, put an autarchic gate set to if redstone signal on, energy pulse. On the other, attach an autarchic iron or gate and set one parameter to if redstone signal on, energy pulse, and the other to if items in inventory, red pipe signal. Use the red pipe signal to turn on two vanilla redstone clocks, one set to pulse four times as fast as the other, and then connect their outputs to the wooden pipes.

That is probably not even close to the most efficient method, but it's what I came up with off the top of my head.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
What do you guys use Xchorium for? I always have so much and never know what to do with it.
Build things with it- it looks good, and you'll use a lot of it.
Also, those shields are handy for encasing nuclear reactors, if you don't have warded stone.

How does the Xycraft Item IO work?
Stick it in the wall of a multi-tank like you would place a valve, and connect it to Fabricators, transport pipes, tubes, etc.
The IO block basically lets other machines access the slots you see in the tank's GUI.
Also, you can shift-right-click the IO to change its mode- blue mode will only accept items into the left slot, while orange will auto-eject from the right slot.
A fabricator on an IO in white mode with a bucket in the tank is very powerful- the fab will take the filled bucket from the right-hand slot, use it in crafting, and drop it back in the left slot to be refilled by the time the fab is ready to craft again. Result: 60k IC2 coolant cell in under a second.

I've done this with an item detector, a counter, a chest, a few filters, and some red alloy wire. Items go into the detector, which it set to pulse the counter once for each item, then into the chest. After the counter registers five items, it resets itself and pulses both filters. One filter pulls one item, and sends it one way; while the other pulls the other four.

Place the "+" input of the counter against the item detector, with its GUI set to "Increment by 1, Decrement by 5, Max of 5". Wire the "+" output to the "-" input and the filters. Place both filters so that they pull from the chest; set one to pull one item and the other to pull four.

Usually, the response to this sort of question is to stuff everything into one inventory, and when it fills up, send what's left to the other. However, in some cases (such as the old GregTech Fusionreactor) this just doesn't work.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I just made a tier 5 skelly cage and I set it up in a 9x9 room with a hole in the middle for the mobs to drop down and I can one hit them. I've noticed that there is pretty serious congestion at the hole, and they skellies keep pushing on each other to get though and it's just not efficient and I don't know how to do it without making it a 2x2 hole. Any help? Second, the whole spawn room is covered in water to push the mobs to the center, and the cage is 5 blocks above the center point. Some of the skellys die on impact, and I'm wondering if they take a little fall damage from 5 blocks into flowing water. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm also having a problem with my sorting machines. For seemingly random reasons, they get jammed. I'm place an item in that has a destination somewhere along the line and it either sits in the first chest, or it will sit in any other buffer chest I have in use. I got rid of the buffer chest, and it still didn't send it through, and the only way I know how to un-jam the SM is to break it, and to put all of the items back in is a huge hassle. It's important this system work all the time and is easily fixable, so any help is appreciated.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I just made a tier 5 skelly cage and I set it up in a 9x9 room with a hole in the middle for the mobs to drop down and I can one hit them. I've noticed that there is pretty serious congestion at the hole, and they skellies keep pushing on each other to get though and it's just not efficient and I don't know how to do it without making it a 2x2 hole. Any help? Second, the whole spawn room is covered in water to push the mobs to the center, and the cage is 5 blocks above the center point. Some of the skellys die on impact, and I'm wondering if they take a little fall damage from 5 blocks into flowing water. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm also having a problem with my sorting machines. For seemingly random reasons, they get jammed. I'm place an item in that has a destination somewhere along the line and it either sits in the first chest, or it will sit in any other buffer chest I have in use. I got rid of the buffer chest, and it still didn't send it through, and the only way I know how to un-jam the SM is to break it, and to put all of the items back in is a huge hassle. It's important this system work all the time and is easily fixable, so any help is appreciated.

To your first question, there is no real way to decongest the hole except make it bigger, but perhaps try making it 1x2 first, that way you can still easily access all the skeletons to hit them

Second one, not sure how to fix your problem, but at least to stop you from constantly breaking and resetting your sorting machine, a way to decongest it is to place a chest on a non painted line next to it, that way it will then see the chest as a valid output and all the jammed items go into the chest. Remove chest once it is unjammed.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone help with biomes oplenty? I installed the update and my sakura forest turned into a snowy conifer forest. Fine, whatever. But now it snows and it keeps freezing the water in my plant farm. Does frozen water still grow plants? And if not, how could I protect my water? If I were to make it like a glass house, would that stop the freezing?