Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm. One last question. Im using lxp and built a mini blaze glass tank for them. Its pretty slow. Just water in 4 corners to kill them. Got my catalyzer working(Using normal blaze spawner, no soul shards) and it all works well, but Im unsure how I could automatically pick up dropped items. I have 2 ender chests just waiting for them but Ive never actually tried using any sort of pipe or what not to automatically pick up an item and deposit it into a chest. I have all the exp and items dropping down a glass chute and .. yeah. Sticks just wiggle there. Need 'em in the chest, not the floor.

Not sure how to pick up the xp, but if the items drop onto an obsidian pipe, or a transposer from RP then they can enter the respective pipe/tube network after that.

In the most basic form, have an obsidian pipe where the items drop to, then have the ender chest underneath it. Else you could just have the obsidian pipe, and then connect it to the chest via stone/cobble/gold pipes.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the TrainCraft distillation tower turns oil into fuel, it turns crude oil, sugar canes and oil sands into diesel. The GT Distillation Tower turns biomass into biofuel/diesel, but it requires 128EU/t, and the Refinery requires 10,000MJ/mB of oil (or 30,000EU in an Electrical engine). So, you only have one option for oil>fuel refining, the BC Refinery.

Edit: Oil:Fuel 1:1 and Biomass:Biofuel 4:1 with refinery,

The GT distillation tower does turn oil into fuel as well, not only biomass into biofuel. Some people just get confused by the fact that Greg calls Buildcraft fuel inside IC2 cells "diesel cells", but throw those into a liquid transposer and out comes regular old Buildcraft fuel.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The GT distillation tower does turn oil into fuel as well, not only biomass into biofuel. Some people just get confused by the fact that Greg calls Buildcraft fuel inside IC2 cells "diesel cells", but throw those into a liquid transposer and out comes regular old Buildcraft fuel.

That you are right, sir.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how to pick up the xp, but if the items drop onto an obsidian pipe, or a transposer from RP then they can enter the respective pipe/tube network after that.

In the most basic form, have an obsidian pipe where the items drop to, then have the ender chest underneath it. Else you could just have the obsidian pipe, and then connect it to the chest via stone/cobble/gold pipes.

Yeah. I managed to find a way. I couldn't get xp both into the xp absorber and the obsidian pipe so I just put a redstone engine on the pipe and put a conveyor belt to push the exp into the absorber. Now I have a nice 2million... gallon? What system does minecraft use? Iron tank full of xp and an ender chest slowly getting blaze rods. Is there a way to make them spawn faster? My method for killing them is extemely slow, its water dealing 1 damage. But its my first ever mod farm so Im sorta content with how it is. I did manage to find a second blaze spawner too so Im hoping that they stack and spawn from both.

Blazes are easy though, since water hurts them. I need to figure out how to set one up for the cave spider spawners I have sitting on my lawn.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. I managed to find a way. I couldn't get xp both into the xp absorber and the obsidian pipe so I just put a redstone engine on the pipe and put a conveyor belt to push the exp into the absorber. Now I have a nice 2million... gallon? What system does minecraft use? Iron tank full of xp and an ender chest slowly getting blaze rods. Is there a way to make them spawn faster? My method for killing them is extemely slow, its water dealing 1 damage. But its my first ever mod farm so Im sorta content with how it is. I did manage to find a second blaze spawner too so Im hoping that they stack and spawn from both.

Blazes are easy though, since water hurts them. I need to figure out how to set one up for the cave spider spawners I have sitting on my lawn.

Look into soul shards or an MFR spawner, those will get you the higher spawn rate that you're after.
For both, make sure you've got a very good control method BEFORE you activate them for the first time. So for soul shards have a redstone signal ON for the tier five, or lights ON for the other tiers before you insert the shard.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best block to use to look like a red tile roof?
would vanilla bricks work for that?

EDIT: Also the red rock bricks would work quite well for your purpose. Red cobblestone from the red mountain biome in extra biomes is where I'm getting that from.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Now I have a nice 2million... gallon? What system does minecraft use?
Minecraft has the Bucket as the main unit of liquids. Many displays use mB (milliBuckets) instead, which is 1/1000 of a bucket (for all those who don't know metric (or SI) prefixes). So 2000000mB in your tank is equal to 2000 Buckets.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the TrainCraft distillation tower turns oil into fuel, it turns crude oil, sugar canes and oil sands into diesel. The GT Distillation Tower turns biomass into biofuel/diesel, but it requires 128EU/t, and the Refinery requires 10,000MJ/mB of oil (or 30,000EU in an Electrical engine). So, you only have one option for oil>fuel refining, the BC Refinery.

Edit: Oil:Fuel 1:1 and Biomass:Biofuel 4:1 with refinery,

GT distillation tower is actually very fast and surprisingly energy efficient.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
how many buckets of biofuel would be needed to start up a 36 m^3 high pressure boiler? I've got a tank for 4000 buckets, would that be enough when it's finally filled up?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
how many buckets of biofuel would be needed to start up a 36 m^3 high pressure boiler? I've got a tank for 4000 buckets, would that be enough when it's finally filled up?
This will cost you 700 buckets, more or less, over a time of over 5 hours.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Look into soul shards or an MFR spawner, those will get you the higher spawn rate that you're after.
For both, make sure you've got a very good control method BEFORE you activate them for the first time. So for soul shards have a redstone signal ON for the tier five, or lights ON for the other tiers before you insert the shard.

I dont like soul shards though. D=

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
This will cost you 700 buckets, more or less, over a time of over 5 hours.
Thanks a lot! Two followup questions:
1. Is that until it's at max heat or until it reaches 100C and starts producing steam?
2. I've heard the drain is about 10x higher when starting up than when running; does this mean the boiler will require around 14 buckets per hour when it's hot?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
1. Is that until it's at max heat or until it reaches 100C and starts producing steam?
2. I've heard the drain is about 10x higher when starting up than when running; does this mean the boiler will require around 14 buckets per hour when it's hot?

1. At 100 degrees, which happens to be the boiling point of water :)
2. Can't be bothered to do the calculations myself. Formula is here: http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/Steam+Boiler+(Device)

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
1) That's for fully heated. It only takes a matter of minutes to start producing steam. I think Hydra misunderstood the question.
2) It takes 36 buckets of biofuel per hour once fully heated.

If you don't want to do the math I suggest this simulator.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
For the machines that you are missing, obviously at the moment none. You could go and build every machine that's in the game, but if you have no use for it you're better not building it. Basically most machines are required to make thing B from thing A. there's a few that increase the efficiency of recipes though, such as the assembly machine and the wiremill. Those both make circuits less resource intensive to make, so perhaps look into some like that, otherwise just let your machine room grow as you go.

Feeding your machines without hoppers can be done with pipes or with AE. Most machines are side sensitive, basically pipe things into them from the top and pull things out from the sides and you're sweet for most machines. You can use the export bus, ME interface, or just regular buildcraft pipes excepting wooden, sandstone or obsidian to input into a machine. To output from a machine you can use the Inport bus, or a wooden pipe powered by MJ somehow, the more you feed it the faster it pulls items out.[DOUBLEPOST=1371359086][/DOUBLEPOST]

Perhaps since your default route is the white, it wouldn't hurt to have the white tube replaced with a blank one. However, are the items that are getting stuck in this one getting stuck because they aren't accounted for in the next one, or the next one doesn't have a default route, so they bounce back?
This is kind of hard to explain, but I'll try. first, I have 4 walls of barrels arranged in a square, and every wall has it's own set of items. The first wall is things you pull out of the ground, and is currently only using 39 barrels, so only SM. But the next 2 wall have to have 2 SM to them because they have 40+ items on the wall. The item goes into the first SM via the ender chest, then if it's in that chest, it goes to the router. If it's not in that chest, it goes down white. Then it gets checked by that one, and if it's blue, it goes on to the router, if it's white - because this wall now has two SM - it goes on to the next sm to see if it's any of the items in there. If it is, it goes down blue, if it's not, it goes down white.

I chose white because on the GUI it said that there was a setting to make items that didn't have a spot go down another pipe. I just set it to white because I assumed it needed a color. But if I don't even need that setting, good. Less complicated. ;p

But to answer your question, I'm not really sure why the items are getting stuck. Unless the item doesn't exist in the system yet. But once it's jammed, NOTHING gets sorted, and the only way to fix it is to break the SM in question and fill it back up again which is a bigger pain in the arse than you'd think it would be.[DOUBLEPOST=1371401299][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do you play on a server and one of the ops there is playing games with you, by spawning in lightning strikes targeted at the cows? And then stalking your questions here for the lulz? ;)
Nah, but that's a great idea and a cruel joke at the same time. :p

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to make our large workshop/steam power plant/processing building fit into the alpine village aesthetic we have going, so I'm trying to make it look like a swiss castle/chateu/chalet type dealie. Trouble is, I can't think what to make it out of. There are very few good looking light coloured blocks. It's currently made out of the MFR snow bricks, and I'm making the roof from ExtraBiomes red rock bricks. The trouble is, the snow bricks can't be microblocked or turned into slabs or stairs, which quite harshly restricts how good it's possible to make it look. I'm really not fond of RedPower marble, and smooth sandstone doesn't fit the aesthetic. Any ideas?

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to make our large workshop/steam power plant/processing building fit into the alpine village aesthetic we have going, so I'm trying to make it look like a swiss castle/chateu/chalet type dealie. Trouble is, I can't think what to make it out of. There are very few good looking light coloured blocks. It's currently made out of the MFR snow bricks, and I'm making the roof from ExtraBiomes red rock bricks. The trouble is, the snow bricks can't be microblocked or turned into slabs or stairs, which quite harshly restricts how good it's possible to make it look. I'm really not fond of RedPower marble, and smooth sandstone doesn't fit the aesthetic. Any ideas?
Download Immibis Microblocks and make Auto-Detect Cuttable Blocks equal True in the config.
That should make every solid block in the game cuttable.