Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
@Inaeo

You mention a TE compessor that can make packed ice? I looked at packed ice in NEI and it wasn't showing anything that can make it, and when I search for compressor on FTBwiki, I'm only seeing an ndustrialcraft version (and what appears to be a component for something in rotarycraft), but nothing from thermal expansion. Might this be under a different name, or is that what you were thinking of?

I'd really like some compressed ice, but not seeing anything in NEI has me worried. I can use blocks of snow in its place, but I'd rather have it all.
It's not the TE compressor (it's called a compacter btw), it's the IC2 one

edit: wee late, but the server hosting the site was acting up

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Not seeing any compacter, except for a standalone compacter mod that looks like an alternate workbench. The IC2 compressor seems closest to what he was saying. It does turn snowballs into Ice, I just can't see anything that necessarily says it can convert ice into packed ice, though it would follow logically. My concern is that if NEI isn't picking that up, it may not work that way, though. Either that or IC isn't in Beyond. I've never used it, so I don't know.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Not seeing any compacter, except for a standalone compacter mod that looks like an alternate workbench. The IC2 compressor seems closest to what he was saying. It does turn snowballs into Ice, I just can't see anything that necessarily says it can convert ice into packed ice, though it would follow logically. My concern is that if NEI isn't picking that up, it may not work that way, though. Either that or IC isn't in Beyond. I've never used it, so I don't know.
I think the pure daisy from Botania might convert ice to packed ice

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I think the pure daisy from Botania might convert ice to packed ice

I looked it up, and not only does it, according to FTBwiki, but it let me see what else makes it, and there IS a TE device that does, it's called a fluid transposer!

I will probably go with the latter route just because I've never done any magic mods yet, let alone Botania specifically.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I looked it up, and not only does it, according to FTBwiki, but it let me see what else makes it, and there IS a TE device that does, it's called a fluid transposer!

I will probably go with the latter route just because I've never done any magic mods yet, let alone Botania specifically.

Pure Daisies are one of the least obnoxious 'magic setups' (plant it and there's no maintenance cost), but mechanical mods in general are easier to automate. With the Daisy, you have to place the blocks that it's changing around it in the world (mind the lighting), and wait for a bit - then break them again. Each one can manage 8 blocks at a time. I know people have been able to automate the conversion with Botania, but if you've got a machine to do it, save yourself the fuss.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
@Inaeo

You mention a TE compessor that can make packed ice? I looked at packed ice in NEI and it wasn't showing anything that can make it, and when I search for compressor on FTBwiki, I'm only seeing an ndustrialcraft version (and what appears to be a component for something in rotarycraft), but nothing from thermal expansion. Might this be under a different name, or is that what you were thinking of?

I'd really like some compressed ice, but not seeing anything in NEI has me worried. I can use blocks of snow in its place, but I'd rather have it all.

The Compressor was an addition post-1.7, so the wikis may not have updated to include information on it. Most of the uses I remember seeing for it turn ingots into plates, but I believe either ice or snow blocks (one or the other, I forget which) can be compressed into packed ice.

I know the Botania Pure Daisy works in Beyond, as I used it earlier in my play to help my Thermoelectric Generator setup (packed ice and uranium blocks does quite well). I'm not 100% sure, but I think harvesting packed ice required silk touch, else it would disappear (like breaking glass without silk touch).

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
From my googlings, you are correct on the silk touch aspect unless (for some reason) Beyond changes that functionality somehow. I am confident I can manage to find *some* way to get a silk touch tool, though :p

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
@Drbretto I highly recommend the AA drill for silk touch and other needs. And you can swap it between fortune III and silk touch by changing the upgrades installed into it. Not to mention it cuts dirt/gravel as easily as stone/ores. It is waht the TiC hammer should be.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh absolutely. I actually just barely got around to setting up the empowerer last time I played so I could build the greenhouse glass, so next time I get in, I'll be making all the upgrades for that drill anyway. I use that drill for everything. It's my little buddy. But, I've been neglecting it since I got the speed 1, speed 2 and 3x3 upgrades.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I know people have been able to automate the conversion with Botania, but if you've got a machine to do it, save yourself the fuss.

Are you kidding? Those are fun to do if you can work out the mechanics. You can even do it with Botania alone. Rannucarpus, Bore lens, and Hopperhocks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I built a Vanilla-ish Slime farm for reasons, and now those purposes are fulfilled. I want to repurpose it to be my main Botania Mana Generator. Is there a way (similar to Cursed Earth) to force slimes to spawn as if a player were nearby? According to the Lexicon, only naturally spawned slimes count, and the farm stops producing slimes if nobody is close enough to facilitate natural spawning mechanics.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

So, my apologies. I just thought of this while actually playing, and I've been calling the block the wrong name. It the TE Compactor. The packed ice recipe calls for ice pillars rather than ice blocks, but that's not hard to fix once you have the ice.

For what it's worth, you could build snowmen and murder them for a Frozen Core. That and eight ice will make one packed ice, which seems horribly inefficient, but still technically possible.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
So, my apologies. I just thought of this while actually playing, and I've been calling the block the wrong name. It the TE Compactor. The packed ice recipe calls for ice pillars rather than ice blocks, but that's not hard to fix once you have the ice.

For what it's worth, you could build snowmen and murder them for a Frozen Core. That and eight ice will make one packed ice, which seems horribly inefficient, but still technically possible.

You know there is a naturally generating biome with packed ice. The ice pillars biome from Vanilla minecraft. And isn't there like a biome locator from Biomes O Plenty? You could exploring and find it?

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
@Drbretto You could use the Builder Block or the Draconic Staff of power.
Still Minecraft is all about exploring and in the 1.12 update, there is an advancement called Find All the Biomes.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
@Drbretto You could use the Builder Block or the Draconic Staff of power.
Still Minecraft is all about exploring and in the 1.12 update, there is an advancement called Find All the Biomes.

I'm kidding, I set this world up for exploring, and I've explored quite a bit of it (my backups are over a gig now with all the exploring that I do). But I'm using RTG and despite travelling for miles and miles, and through plenty of snowy areas, I've yet to run into the icy biomes like I've seen in vanilla. I'm not sure if that's just being unlucky or if it's RTG preventing it.

In either case, I need to build a machine to generate them because I'm going to need something like 10,000 of them, give or take. Even if that means I have to build the botania version and use precision droppers and mechanical users to automate it. I just haven't been on all week to try anything yet.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Yeah Im pretty sure the biome doesn't generate with RTG due to the fact that there is no place in the world with ice spikes.

C

cap.1o

I would like to know which liquid pump is good in Beyond modpack because the ranged pump doesn't work in the Nether for lava (works well for water in overwold) I don't figure out to pump lava to my base
Someone can help me ?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I used the ranged pump in the nether just fine (that was actually its primary job, replicating the enderthermic pump. They just also made it work with water). Can you explain how yours is set up?

I don't think there's another option right now.