Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The sequencers are EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I apologize for my wording. I will need more than one of these blocks, I meant a basic block that emits the pattern. I can set up a small logic circuit to make the pattern I was looking for. In fact, from what I just read on the sequencer, that might be even better than I had hoped for.

Edit: OMG, this is more perfect than I ever expected. I wanna go hoooooooooome!

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
This could be a problem.... I may need a contingency plan, and a good place to dump 106,000 blocks of ice. The idea of them melting hadn't really occurred to me.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
This could be a problem.... I may need a contingency plan, and a good place to dump 106,000 blocks of ice. The idea of them melting hadn't really occurred to me.
If I remember correctly, Packed Ice blocks don't melt. The TE Compressor or a Botania Pure Daisy can turn your ice into packed ice, although the TE Compressor would be simpler to automate at that kind of bulk.

Alternatively, you could use different lighting methods to avoid melting, if it's just torch melt you're worried about.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Does the sun not melt it? Is it just torches?

And I wanted to sprinkle in some packed ice along with it, but I really wanted it to be mostly ice for the transparency effect with the shaders. I'm going to do some testing in creative for this one anyway, I'll see how strong the ice can be. I was going to do the majority of the actual building of a structure on top of the ice with real bricks of some kind, so if that won't melt it, then I'm panicking over nothing.

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a simple way to divide up a resource based on ratios? I'm working on an automated Canola power farm from Actually Additions. Each bucket of empowered oil require six canola seeds: four raw, one crystallized, one empowered. I'm currently handling this by dumping all the seeds in a single chest, and then routing them into six more chests with EnderIO conduits on "Round Robin" mode, it looks like this:
qWHpqSZ.jpg

On the far left is the origin, the middle chests are the six division chests, four of them feed into display pedestals, two into the Atomic Reconstructor setup in the center back. Its output is divided in half using round robin again for the crystallized and empowered seeds. The final outputs are fed into a Refined Storage system that spits them back out into precision droppers.

Is there any way to do this in a more compact or elegant way? I'm playing the FTB Beyond pack. I've got a feeling that either EnderIO, Refined Storage, or XNet should be able to do that ratio division of the seeds without relying on a bunch of intermediate single chests, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
does fortune effect dense ores like iron/gold at all or is it only the ores fortune normally works on?

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Does the sun not melt it? Is it just torches?

And I wanted to sprinkle in some packed ice along with it, but I really wanted it to be mostly ice for the transparency effect with the shaders. I'm going to do some testing in creative for this one anyway, I'll see how strong the ice can be. I was going to do the majority of the actual building of a structure on top of the ice with real bricks of some kind, so if that won't melt it, then I'm panicking over nothing.

Just did a quick test in creative - regular ice does not seem to melt in the sun. Going to let it run for a bit and verify.

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Awesome, thank you. I was going to do the same but my server is down. Its funny, though, Because I wasn't even thinking about torches, but now that Ineao put that idea in my head, I have to test some lighting options now, too.

does fortune effect dense ores like iron/gold at all or is it only the ores fortune normally works on?

Fortune works on any block that when you break it, doesn't drop a block. So, coal, diamonds, emeralds, all get converted from their respective ores when you break them. That transformation also is what drops the XP orbs (that's why iron and gold don't give you XP until you cook them, too)

However, as I have recently learned, there are machines that can grind the ores into multiple dusts, which can then be cooked to produce more ores than you would normally get through the furnace. EnderIO has one called a SAG mill that, under the right conditions, would act as sort of a fortune 3 for metallic ores.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Awesome, thank you. I was going to do the same but my server is down. Its funny, though, Because I wasn't even thinking about torches, but now that Ineao put that idea in my head, I have to test some lighting options now, too.

Yup, let it cycle through two full 'days', and other than a persistent spider, I was perfectly safe in my ice-rink. Keep in mind that mobs will not spawn on the clear ice - it's a transparent block - so you may not need to light it up at all. If you have Carpenters Blocks installed, check the glowstone dust lighting option - I don't have it installed, but I'm vaguely remembering that it won't melt ice.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not sure if I have carpenters blocks, lol. I used to use that glowstone dust method in my 1.7 work all the time. I completely forgotten about them. I had been using glowstone bits.

I wasn't even thinking about mobs, but that's definitely good to know, too. I just want it to look good at night, which I'm now realizing is kinda stupid because it's where I'll be putting my automated celestial manipulator so there aren't very long nights to light it up in. Oh well...

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I'm not sure if I have carpenters blocks, lol. I used to use that glowstone dust method in my 1.7 work all the time. I completely forgotten about them. I had been using glowstone bits.

I wasn't even thinking about mobs, but that's definitely good to know, too. I just want it to look good at night, which I'm now realizing is kinda stupid because it's where I'll be putting my automated celestial manipulator so there aren't very long nights to light it up in. Oh well...

Did a little more poking around the Interwebz, and you want to keep the artificial light below 12. 12 or above will melt it. Conveniently, redstone torches give off a light level of 7.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Did a little more poking around the Interwebz, and you want to keep the artificial light below 12. 12 or above will melt it. Conveniently, redstone torches give off a light level of 7.

Man, I really like the way you think. This occurred to me, too. And depending on some things, a light glow might be the right glow, depending on how it comes out. It's supposed to complement the energy multiblock, not overshadow it.

It's coming into focus... I think this is gonna be pretty neat.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Is there any way to do this in a more compact or elegant way? I'm playing the FTB Beyond pack. I've got a feeling that either EnderIO, Refined Storage, or XNet should be able to do that ratio division of the seeds without relying on a bunch of intermediate single chests, but I haven't found a solution yet.
I hate to say it, as I know you were hoping for something more elegant, but I think your way might be the best one! Honestly, round-robining into the 6 required chests would be how I would do it.

Reactions: Jetsetlemming

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
I hate to say it, as I know you were hoping for something more elegant, but I think your way might be the best one! Honestly, round-robining into the 6 required chests would be how I would do it.
Appreciate you looking at it, even if there wasn't a better answer. Thanks. :)

I've managed to find a much bigger problem now, though. I added in some new mods to FTB Beyond, and while it all boots and runs, somehow
a) The load time for loading a world (not the initial launch time, where things normally go bad, but specifically the world) takes like five minutes, with something to do with NEI checking recipes, and
b) Tinker's Construct recipes are all messed up. I can't make patterns for any tool parts, iron smelted into copper in the smeltery and it won't pour the metal into an ingot cast, etc.

Where do I even start troubleshooting this, if it's not crashing and thus giving me an obvious error log?

edit: Tinker's Construct and Aether 2 are incompatible, Aether breaks a bunch of stuff. Darn.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I've not managed to find any info about this; does anyone know how fast AA's Canola Presses make Canola Oil, and how fast the Fermenting Barrels turn it into Oil? I haven't seen like a mB/t rate for either of these. You can probably guess where I'm going - I'm wondering what the optimal ratio of Presses to Barrels is, to avoid getting a backlog of Canola Oil while having the minimum Barrels necessary.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I've got a question...

With all the great mods and texture packs out there, why do we still have fence posts that repel water?
Hard to make a nice looking dock when the posts don't seem to go "in" the water.. :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I've got a question...

With all the great mods and texture packs out there, why do we still have fence posts that repel water?
Hard to make a nice looking dock when the posts don't seem to go "in" the water.. :)

Does carpenter's blocks have something for that? I'm pretty sure they had something that would let the water flow over the bottom of a stair block. I don't know if that does the same thing for fences, though.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
C&B the water and the post. But yeah... I feel your pain. Make a nice glass window looking into water and you have that flowing water look instead of just a clear view.

Reactions: zBob