Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ok. I just turned a loot X mob grinder into an 11x11 patch of cursed earth. I was not prepared for this, lol. How do I sort out and destroy all those armor pieces and damaged bows and whatnot. I can't keep up with this rate

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Looking to increase Ender Lilly production in Beyond. Anyone know if/how works affect them? Any wise ideas for early game (literally pre-diamond right now).

R

RadicalSilver

hi guys,

I used to play ftb a lot of years ago, but i don't know anything anymore from it.
i was wondering if somebody knows a ftb mod that has a lot of things that can be automated, for example, the automatic mining stuff.
I will probably have to search everything on youtube but that's cool to find information.
I just want a mod were i can automate a lot of stuff, i hope somebody knows a good one.
And if it is possible, one that is not to hard to learn :)

thank you and have a nice day ;)
greats a noob

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
hi guys,

I used to play ftb a lot of years ago, but i don't know anything anymore from it.
i was wondering if somebody knows a ftb mod that has a lot of things that can be automated, for example, the automatic mining stuff.
I will probably have to search everything on youtube but that's cool to find information.
I just want a mod were i can automate a lot of stuff, i hope somebody knows a good one.

greats a noob

If automation is your goal, take a look at Sky Factory 3. It's a Skyblock style, so you'll be floating over the void with no ground to speak of, but all resources can be acquired via other methods. All these methods begin as manual processes, but you quickly learn to automate them (using a number of different mods) to free up your time to move on to the next project. The mod has a built-in quest system to guide you as you go. There are a ton of Let's Plays out there that you can either follow along with, or just skim through for hints if you get stuck. Wikis are coming back to useful fashion after a brief period of being a version or two behind, so they are more and more helpful as time goes on.

Alternatively, you could pick a traditional pack like DW20 or Beyond, which are both kitchen sink style packs. All of the tools to automate all the things exist n both of these packs, but there is no quest system to guide you through any of it. Direwolf20, the designer and namesake of the DW20 pack, does LPs based on his pack, and also provides world downloads every 10 episodes for those who want to take a closer look at what he's built. In his LPs, he explains how he's building things as he goes, so for the new or returning player, it can act like a blended mod spotlight (of which he also does a fair number).

Whatever you choose, don't be afraid to swing back with any questions you find along the way.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
hi guys,

greats a noob

The best thing I can recommend is to watch one (or more) of Direwolf20's "Let's Play" YouTube video series. Pick the one based on the version of Minecraft you want to play... His current series, 8, uses version 1.10.2 of Minecraft.

He tries to show all the steps, even if you may want to pause the video once in a while :D, and with every 10th Episode a downloadable copy of the world is made available.

In addition to the series, he also puts out "Mod Spotlight" videos that focus on a given mod in depth.

You can follow along on your own world if you want, or just watch for general info... Direwire20 tries to keep mod reconfiguration in his packs at a minimum to make sure the mod is played as close to the way the developer designed it.

R

RadicalSilver

If automation is your goal, take a look at Sky Factory 3. It's a Skyblock style, so you'll be floating over the void with no ground to speak of, but all resources can be acquired via other methods. All these methods begin as manual processes, but you quickly learn to automate them (using a number of different mods) to free up your time to move on to the next project. The mod has a built-in quest system to guide you as you go. There are a ton of Let's Plays out there that you can either follow along with, or just skim through for hints if you get stuck. Wikis are coming back to useful fashion after a brief period of being a version or two behind, so they are more and more helpful as time goes on.

Alternatively, you could pick a traditional pack like DW20 or Beyond, which are both kitchen sink style packs. All of the tools to automate all the things exist n both of these packs, but there is no quest system to guide you through any of it. Direwolf20, the designer and namesake of the DW20 pack, does LPs based on his pack, and also provides world downloads every 10 episodes for those who want to take a closer look at what he's built. In his LPs, he explains how he's building things as he goes, so for the new or returning player, it can act like a blended mod spotlight (of which he also does a fair number).

Whatever you choose, don't be afraid to swing back with any questions you find along the way.
thanks for your reply,
Im thankfull for ur reply, and just as a warning im such a picky anoying person. Cuz i would prefere a mod that's on main land, not as a skyblock above the void.
It does sound interesting though! And with automating things you said, is this very hard? Like do you have to need about 2000 new items then normal minecraft or just 500 .. if u know what i mean.
And are these all just as one download, with all the mods within? so i only have to download one file right?
have a good evening :)

R

RadicalSilver

The best thing I can recommend is to watch one (or more) of Direwolf20's "Let's Play" YouTube video series. Pick the one based on the version of Minecraft you want to play... His current series, 8, uses version 1.10.2 of Minecraft.

He tries to show all the steps, even if you may want to pause the video once in a while :D, and with every 10th Episode a downloadable copy of the world is made available.

In addition to the series, he also puts out "Mod Spotlight" videos that focus on a given mod in depth.

You can follow along on your own world if you want, or just watch for general info... Direwire20 tries to keep mod reconfiguration in his packs at a minimum to make sure the mod is played as close to the way the developer designed it.
hey there,
Thanks a lot for your reaction im absolutely gonna check it out right now. See if i can find something interesting.
And the fact that i can see what you can do in the mod, and how things work, that is what i like xD (hope ill figure it out)
Thanks again dude have a nice day!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for your reply,
Im thankfull for ur reply, and just as a warning im such a picky anoying person. Cuz i would prefere a mod that's on main land, not as a skyblock above the void.
It does sound interesting though! And with automating things you said, is this very hard? Like do you have to need about 2000 new items then normal minecraft or just 500 .. if u know what i mean.
And are these all just as one download, with all the mods within? so i only have to download one file right?
have a good evening :)

Ok, glad we could narrow your search. Packs like Beyond and DW20 have a pretty large selection of mods in them, so it can sometimes get a little overwhelming for the unprepared. That's probably why most people will direct someone in your position to the DW20 pack - so you can follow along with the Let's Plays as a guide, or even to just have them as a quick reference. The nice bit to me is, as a player in Beyond, DW20's Let's Play series as well as his Mod Spotlights can help me get a grasp on things even if I'm not playing his pack. The mod lists are actually close enough in some cases where you could copy his work exactly without issues.

As far as the difficulty in automation, it all depends on what you want and how you go about it. Some mods are as simple as "make this block, it does X.". Other mods can do the same things, but it occasionally takes more effort/resources. Often times it is a matter of personal preference, but I often find the debate is either resource timing (I want option B, but I can build A now) or efficiency (option C is cheaper to make, but option D requires less fuel/power). In this type of pack, there are usually two or three ways of accomplishing any task at a minimum, so it's left to the player to choose a route. Usually, I end up picking a few mods to be my backbone, and I focus entirely on them. I sprinkle in other mods for utility work or to cover shortcomings in the selection I've made, but I try to solve many problems with only these mods (mainly for the engineering challenge). By picking the backbone mods and sticking with them, it helps to avoid feeling buried with all the other things going on in the pack and helps to sense logical progression as you move deeper into each of them.

As far as downloading the packs, they should be one click shopping. The packs are configured before they get posted, and mods are all tested for compatibility before they get pushed in an update. All the grunt work has been done for you, now you can sit back and enjoy playing modded Minecraft.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So, finally updated to 1.10.2

Is there a mod in this brave new world with a config option for fast leaf decay? IIRC minefactory reloaded used to do it, but it's not in FTB Beyond and I can't seem to find an up-to-date JAR for it...

R

RadicalSilver

Ok, glad we could narrow your search. Packs like Beyond and DW20 have a pretty large selection of mods in them, so it can sometimes get a little overwhelming for the unprepared. That's probably why most people will direct someone in your position to the DW20 pack - so you can follow along with the Let's Plays as a guide, or even to just have them as a quick reference. The nice bit to me is, as a player in Beyond, DW20's Let's Play series as well as his Mod Spotlights can help me get a grasp on things even if I'm not playing his pack. The mod lists are actually close enough in some cases where you could copy his work exactly without issues.

As far as the difficulty in automation, it all depends on what you want and how you go about it. Some mods are as simple as "make this block, it does X.". Other mods can do the same things, but it occasionally takes more effort/resources. Often times it is a matter of personal preference, but I often find the debate is either resource timing (I want option B, but I can build A now) or efficiency (option C is cheaper to make, but option D requires less fuel/power). In this type of pack, there are usually two or three ways of accomplishing any task at a minimum, so it's left to the player to choose a route. Usually, I end up picking a few mods to be my backbone, and I focus entirely on them. I sprinkle in other mods for utility work or to cover shortcomings in the selection I've made, but I try to solve many problems with only these mods (mainly for the engineering challenge). By picking the backbone mods and sticking with them, it helps to avoid feeling buried with all the other things going on in the pack and helps to sense logical progression as you move deeper into each of them.

As far as downloading the packs, they should be one click shopping. The packs are configured before they get posted, and mods are all tested for compatibility before they get pushed in an update. All the grunt work has been done for you, now you can sit back and enjoy playing modded Minecraft.
yo i gotta say that you can explain very well!
thanks again and as i said im a hard one. You almost told me everything i know.
So a mod is just ONE other thing in minecraft, and a modpack are A LOT of mods what makes minecraft not minecraft but feed the beast?
And then it would be better to download a modpack like Beyond or Direwolf20, then picking all the mods yourself and create your own modpack? And could you download a modpack and put one extra mod that you really like in it or something like that?
and last, do i first download ftb on the homescreen, and then a modpack like dw20?
have a nice day :)

Last edited:

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
So, finally updated to 1.10.2

Is there a mod in this brave new world with a config option for fast leaf decay? IIRC minefactory reloaded used to do it, but it's not in FTB Beyond and I can't seem to find an up-to-date JAR for it...
I doubt so, but there is a mod you can install to get fast leaf decay

I know it's in the Direwolf pack tho

Reactions: Everlasting2

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I have reached the nether star zone. Besides my portal gun, which I added to the FTB beyond pack, what other wonderful new toys should I be looking forward to now? When I was browsing wikis before, every time I'd see a nether star in a recipe, I filed it away as something not to worry about any time soon, so I don't remember what I'm excited about getting, lol

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
So a mod is just ONE other thing in minecraft, and a modpack are A LOT of mods what makes minecraft not minecraft but feed the beast?
And then it would be better to download a modpack like Beyond or Direwolf20, then picking all the mods yourself and create your own modpack? And could you download a modpack and put one extra mod that you really like in it or something like that?
and last, do i first download ftb on the homescreen, and then a modpack like dw20?

Happy to help.

A mod is a string of code that modifies the parent game, in this case Minecraft. Since Minecraft is written in Java, all the mod files are .jar files, which Forge calls to load when you boot up. Forge, for it's part, is a structure written to provide stable and predictable hooks that mod developers can tie their code into the game without each developer having to essentially crack into the true codebase of Minecraft itself (I'm likely over simplifying what it does, but I'm just trying to paint the picture).

A mod can be anything from adding items, changing physics, adjusting the day length, adding seasons, modifying the weather, adding and/or reprogramming mobs, and more. Some mods add just one thing, while others add an absolute ton of content. Some mods rely on other mods to run (Logistics Pipes in 1.7 was hard coded to depend on Buildcraft), and many developers who make multiple mods store commonly used code in a separate library file (also a .jar file, which gets loaded during start-up). One of the important parts of building a modpack is ensuring those dependencies are all loaded (using the correct versions).

Although anyone can create a modpack by simply downloading the individual mods, conflicts between mods occasionally exist (two mods sometimes try to use the same recipe for different components, dimension IDs conflict, potion IDs conflict, etc.). The Feed The Beast team is a group of people who make modpack for mass consumption, which helps tremendously for those looking to play on servers (since all the mod versions and configs have to match from client to server). I think of FTB as a brand name, with packs being the product. They also maintain packs for other pack creators occasionally, which is the case for the DW20 pack.

Getting packs and mods is relatively simple these days. The Twitch Launcher (formerly Curse) has the ability to search for modpacks. Selecting one of these should download the entire pack and make a nice neat icon for you. As I said before, the pack creators have done all the hard parts for you.

The Twitch Launcher also has a large repository of individual mods which can be added to an existing pack, or you can create a new instance and hand select the mods you want to play with. This option comes with more hassle, but ultimately more control. If you're new to the idea, I highly recommend using a premade pack for a while before dabbling in pack creation, but to each their own.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Actually, the Modpack does not make it "Feed the Beast", as there are themed packs... Invasion has a "night of the Living Dead" kind of vibe, there are Fantasy/Role playing themes, FPS styles, etc. Think of FtB as kind of a car manufacturer that makes sporty models, luxury models and even those soccer mom minivans :D

R

RadicalSilver

thanks for both your reply's.
And lnaeo, i indeed downloaded the twitch app etc, i went to minecraft and selected the direwolf20 1.10 to play, i downloaded it. When i started it in the normal minecraft launcher, it starter loading things, and after a little while is says it cannot start it, cuz the program fails or something like that. (I already posted this is a helping part of this forum becuase this is not a tech helping part of the forum)
thanks a lot

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
And lnaeo, i indeed downloaded the twitch app etc, i went to minecraft and selected the direwolf20 1.10 to play, i downloaded it. When i started it in the normal minecraft launcher, it starter loading things, and after a little while is says it cannot start it, cuz the program fails or something like that. (I already posted this is a helping part of this forum becuase this is not a tech helping part of the forum)
thanks a lot

If this is your first time using the launcher, you might have to allocate some more ram.

On the left side of the twitch window, there's a column of icons. On the bottom is a gear. Hit that and go to the minecraft tab. You'll see a slider you can move to set the amount of ram to allocate. Id' make sure that's at least 4gb. Don't go much higher unless you're also running HD textures.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
thanks a lot

Just as a note, you're probably going to need to post your crash log in the tech-support area (use a spoiler or a link to a pastebin) in order for anyone to be able to figure out what's going on - assuming that Drbretto's fix doesn't do it for you.

R

RadicalSilver

If this is your first time using the launcher, you might have to allocate some more ram.

On the left side of the twitch window, there's a column of icons. On the bottom is a gear. Hit that and go to the minecraft tab. You'll see a slider you can move to set the amount of ram to allocate. Id' make sure that's at least 4gb. Don't go much higher unless you're also running HD textures.
Alright didnt know that because i am indeed as good as new to the launchers and ftb. I have 16 gb ram in my pc and my pc aint bad do you recommend a preciesly amount of ram?