Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
And blood lamp, ranged torches? Awww yeah!
Yes, but what do these things do?

I've got flight (Thaumcraft) and I understand teleposers, but the other stuff is quasi-jibberish to someone who's never delved into those mods

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
This same argument popped up when static block IDs were a thing and Mojang added dynamic IDs assigned by blockname in the next version (1.7, if I remember correctly). Many mods said they were going to skip versions... They either had to adapt to the new method, which many did at the last minute, or be dropped from new packs.
To be fair a lot did skip 1.7.2, it wasn't a last minute decision by any means.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
Yes, but what do these things do?

I've got flight (Thaumcraft) and I understand teleposers, but the other stuff is quasi-jibberish to someone who's never delved into those mods

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger
Sigil of Blood Lamp: ranged torches

Sigil of Green Grove: speeds crop growing, there's also a ritual that does the same thing in a 3x3 area
Divination Sigil: shows altar tier, blood stored etc.
Sigil of Holding: holds multiple sigils.
Also I tought that Guide-API added a book to help you with blood magic

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
When doing Blood Magic mod, is there any reason to keep the different Orbs as we move up the ladder? Once I've made the Magician's Orb, should I hang on to the Apprentice Orb & Lesser Blood Orb? Or should I just throw them away?

I much prefer that each successive tier utilizes the previous tier's item in the recipe... so that this question never comes up. I'm unsure if the obsolete orbs will have a use in the future or not. Do they actually store "Life Points" or whatever its called? If so, can I remove it before I get rid of the old orbs?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
When doing Blood Magic mod, is there any reason to keep the different Orbs as we move up the ladder? Once I've made the Magician's Orb, should I hang on to the Apprentice Orb & Lesser Blood Orb? Or should I just throw them away?
You can use them in alchemy set-ups. They're pretty easy to replace though so don't worry about throwing away the low level ones. They don't store anything.

You could also have an orb that sits in an altar that is fed by a Ritual of Sacrifice, and another altar that you use for crafting. One keeps your LP topepd up, the other is freely accessible (and has no annoying mob farm right above it). You'd probably want one of your latest and best orbs in the LP-gen altar though, so that isn't something you'd use a lower-tier orb for. Unless you're happy for the LP-gen altar to just keep you from running out.

Reactions: asb3pe

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013

I much prefer that each successive tier utilizes the previous tier's item in the recipe... so that this question never comes up. I'm unsure if the obsolete orbs will have a use in the future or not. Do they actually store "Life Points" or whatever its called? If so, can I remove it before I get rid of the old orbs?
One possible use for lower-tier orbs is if you want to use them to automatically fill your soul network from a blood altar, but you don't want to craft another next-tier orb (they're a little expensive) or you just don't need to have a huge amount of LP in your network all the time.

It's worth noting that you can put a comparator on the side of a blood altar with an orb in it, and the strength of the comparator's signal will be proportional to the amount of LP in your soul network. More importantly, it'll always output a strength 15 signal when your network is as full as that orb can fill it. So, if you want to turn off some system when you're at 5000 LP, you could put the lowest-tier orb in there and watch for a strength-15 signal.

But, if you aren't worried about expense, and you don't mind having an ungodly amount of LP in your network all the time, there's really no reason not to use the highest-tier orbs available to you everywhere. If you've got a cursed earth farm filling up the entire active volume of a Well of Suffering (not one of those cheesy single-floor 5x5 Direwolf20 rigs that can only spawn five mobs at a time) and are autofarming demons for their crystal shards... I don't see any reason not to use transcendent orbs everywhere. I mean, the tier-4 orbs are just as renewable and a lot cheaper and work just as well for a large fraction of alchemy recipes, but strictly speaking, the transcendent ones work.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

You will need 3 orbs for Rune of the orb crafting, where 2 of them just Weak orb or better. So might as well hang on to some of them for that. And a Master orb or better can always be stuffed into a piece of Bound armour. Based on what little I understand of BM...

Radee

Jul 29, 2019
So I just made my first crossbow with signalum and I have a decent amount of materials available to me however enderium is not one of them. That being said I was wondering what some good bolts are that will do quite well until I have access to enderium for enderium bolts. I have slime trees going so I can use those leaves for fletching but beyond that I have no idea what materials to use.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think Many bolts are fairly good. Pop 'em on to a paper shaft, throw auto-repair on there, and you're good to go with loading it down w/ quartz.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I think Many bolts are fairly good. Pop 'em on to a paper shaft, throw auto-repair on there, and you're good to go with loading it down w/ quartz.
Currently Paper does not give bolts an extra modifier so use slime to give yourself lots of ammo or another heavy metal

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
So I just made my first crossbow with signalum and I have a decent amount of materials available to me however enderium is not one of them. That being said I was wondering what some good bolts are that will do quite well until I have access to enderium for enderium bolts. I have slime trees going so I can use those leaves for fletching but beyond that I have no idea what materials to use.
signalium for the casted head over the rod , on a server i used signaium tipped steel bolts with slime leaf fletching(even breached kami armor) , u could replace the steel with thaumium or something thats highly durable .

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Oil Bucket Woes... So I have Galacticraft and Buildcraft in a custom mod pack with TE. By default when you get a bucket of oil from the worldgen you get the Galacticraft bucket. Now comes the problem, the TE Fluid Transposer only work with the BC oil bucket. So I've played around with minetweaker and I can remove/add the correct transposer recipe. However, I can't leave a recipe for both Oil buckets. MT complains about a duplicate entry. I've also tried to create an ore dictionary and that didn't work either. I also have a 3rd oil bucket in the pack. So I'm wondering what is the best way to get all three to work. BTW: I haven't test the third oil. But the BC and GC will just become fluid.oil when manually placed in a tank.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Oil Bucket Woes... So I have Galacticraft and Buildcraft in a custom mod pack with TE. By default when you get a bucket of oil from the worldgen you get the Galacticraft bucket. Now comes the problem, the TE Fluid Transposer only work with the BC oil bucket. So I've played around with minetweaker and I can remove/add the correct transposer recipe. However, I can't leave a recipe for both Oil buckets. MT complains about a duplicate entry. I've also tried to create an ore dictionary and that didn't work either. I also have a 3rd oil bucket in the pack. So I'm wondering what is the best way to get all three to work. BTW: I haven't test the third oil. But the BC and GC will just become fluid.oil when manually placed in a tank.

I forget which of the two mods fixes this issue, but NoMoreRecipeConflicts and/or Auto Ore Dictionary Converter are a good start. NoMoreRecipeConflicts allows you to select any available outcome of conflicting recipies (some crafting tables don't work, but they are adding as they find them). AODC allows you to hold an item in your hand, type '/odc add' then all things that match that oreDict that enter your inventory will automatically swap over to your set item.

Reactions: Mindfeak926

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
One possible use for lower-tier orbs is if you want to use them to automatically fill your soul network from a blood altar, but you don't want to craft another next-tier orb (they're a little expensive) or you just don't need to have a huge amount of LP in your network all the time.

It's worth noting that you can put a comparator on the side of a blood altar with an orb in it, and the strength of the comparator's signal will be proportional to the amount of LP in your soul network. More importantly, it'll always output a strength 15 signal when your network is as full as that orb can fill it. So, if you want to turn off some system when you're at 5000 LP, you could put the lowest-tier orb in there and watch for a strength-15 signal.

But, if you aren't worried about expense, and you don't mind having an ungodly amount of LP in your network all the time, there's really no reason not to use the highest-tier orbs available to you everywhere. If you've got a cursed earth farm filling up the entire active volume of a Well of Suffering (not one of those cheesy single-floor 5x5 Direwolf20 rigs that can only spawn five mobs at a time) and are autofarming demons for their crystal shards... I don't see any reason not to use transcendent orbs everywhere. I mean, the tier-4 orbs are just as renewable and a lot cheaper and work just as well for a large fraction of alchemy recipes, but strictly speaking, the transcendent ones work.

I'm so confused by the whole "LP" mechanic, I don't even know which sentences in your post to quote. So I'll quote it all. LOL

First off, the only reason I'm doing Blood Magic mod at all is so I can progress thru Infinity Evolved Expert Mode. Point is, I'm a noob at magic mods and I know nothing. Literally.
Ok, so with that mental picture, all I've done so far is figure out how to make a Tier 3 Altar and expand the capacity to 26,000 so I could make the Magician's Orb which requires 25K LP to make. And I did it! Felt happy about it. But the only way I know to get LP is to use the Sacrificial Orb on myself repeatedly. And I'm talking hours of it, not minutes. LOL Yes, I did make some "Sacrificial Runes" and tried to kill mobs with the Sacrificial Dagger and all of that... but in the end, I concluded that adding 5 "Self-Sacrifice Runes" and just clicking the Orb over and over again (alternating with eating food to heal) was my best (i.e. simplest) choice. That's where I'm at, currently, with the plan to just keep adding more and more "Self-Sacrifice Runes" to the Altar.

So basically, I am that person who plays Botania mod while only making the Tier Zero Dayblooms to make all my mana. LOL I'm the reason mod developers have to change their mod so people like me will actually progess thru it somewhat. :) What would be a simple piece of advice for someone like me, in terms of doing Blood Magic? I do not understand how the orbs work - I always use the red/yellow Sacrificial Orb to get my LP into the altar, and then I craft the stuff I need, taking the LP down to zero... and I repeat this ad nauseum. But in your reply, you seem to be indicating that LP can be put into the orbs somehow? For additional storage? I suppose that's the information I'm lacking, and why I don't understand this mod very well. And I am quite certain I need to stop using the red/yellow orb to manually fill the altar with LP... but what should I be doing instead?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm so confused by the whole "LP" mechanic, I don't even know which sentences in your post to quote. So I'll quote it all. LOL

First off, the only reason I'm doing Blood Magic mod at all is so I can progress thru Infinity Evolved Expert Mode. Point is, I'm a noob at magic mods and I know nothing. Literally.
Ok, so with that mental picture, all I've done so far is figure out how to make a Tier 3 Altar and expand the capacity to 26,000 so I could make the Magician's Orb which requires 25K LP to make. And I did it! Felt happy about it. But the only way I know to get LP is to use the Sacrificial Orb on myself repeatedly. And I'm talking hours of it, not minutes. LOL Yes, I did make some "Sacrificial Runes" and tried to kill mobs with the Sacrificial Dagger and all of that... but in the end, I concluded that adding 5 "Self-Sacrifice Runes" and just clicking the Orb over and over again (alternating with eating food to heal) was my best (i.e. simplest) choice. That's where I'm at, currently, with the plan to just keep adding more and more "Self-Sacrifice Runes" to the Altar.

So basically, I am that person who plays Botania mod while only making the Tier Zero Dayblooms to make all my mana. LOL I'm the reason mod developers have to change their mod so people like me will actually progess thru it somewhat. :) What would be a simple piece of advice for someone like me, in terms of doing Blood Magic? I do not understand how the orbs work - I always use the red/yellow Sacrificial Orb to get my LP into the altar, and then I craft the stuff I need, taking the LP down to zero... and I repeat this ad nauseum. But in your reply, you seem to be indicating that LP can be put into the orbs somehow? For additional storage? I suppose that's the information I'm lacking, and why I don't understand this mod very well. And I am quite certain I need to stop using the red/yellow orb to manually fill the altar with LP... but what should I be doing instead?
I am no expert on Blood Magic, trying it out for the first time actually :p, but here is what I have done:

First I decided to have 3 altars. One for sacrificing, one for crafting, and one for filling orbs(your personal LP network). I think this is also the standard approach. You then pump the blood from the sacrificing altar to the two other(maybe add a tank of some sort for a buffer between). You want to add some Runes of Dislocation to speed up the blood transport between the altars btw.

What you want to aim for on the sacrificing altar is the Well of suffering ritual, so you want to build your structures up after that(look it up and get familiar with its ranges etc.). Then before I could do the WoS I build the cursed earth farm that was supposed to supply it with mobs and used fans and conveyors etc. to funnel the mobs down into a shaft so they get right next to the altar. Then all I would have to do is use the dagger of sacrifice thingy on them.

Qawpdqr.png

FSNzwTt.png
Some simple automation for the slates and you quickly progress to the point where you can replace the whole mess with the Well of the suffering, and then your worries are over ;)

About the Blood/LP confusion. You use the blood in the altars(and a possible buffer tank) to craft stuff and fill Orbs to replenish your personal network with LP. You then use your personal LP network to run rituals, run activated tools/weapons, absorb damage with Bound armour, cook things with the furnace crystal thingy and so on.

The LP's are in your network, not in your orbs. The amount you can put into your network is based on the size of the orb you put into the altar, and how many Runes of the Orb the altar has. So the orb is sort of a doorway to your network.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks rhn... more questions/comments:

The tooltip for each Orb says "Stores raw Life Essence". The tooltip for the Altar (via right clicking it with the Divination Sigil in-hand) says "Altar's Current Essence: 17800 LP" and also "Capacity: 26000 LP"

So the confusion lies in terminology. We have "Life Essence" and "LP", which I've been assuming stands for "Life Points"? Why isn't it "LE" instead, so the terminology matches? Then we also have the actual blood liquid in the Altar, which clearly goes up and down as the LP in the Altar goes up and down. So the red blood represents the "LP" numerical quantity shown for the Altar. This means that all three terms - "blood", "LP" and "Life Essence" are one and the same thing. Correct? By the use of 3 different terms for the same thing, the same concept, that's why the mod becomes confusing. IMO, perhaps it is just me.

So that leaves the Orbs. There is indication in the responses that Orbs can be placed "in" an Altar? So I did try that, and I did get the graphical representation that the Orb was filling with blood/LP/Essence. And indeed, the Altar's LP level dropped some before I pulled the Orb out. So... why doesn't the Orb now show a quantity of "LP"? You say "the LP's are in your network, not your orbs"... so where is my network then? The Altar has nothing to do with my network? Where do I find out how much LP is stored in my network? Perhaps there is a tool for that, similar to the Divination Sigil showing the Altar's stats?

Edit: I think you gave me the answer.... "Runes of the Orb". I will investigate that block.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So the confusion lies in terminology. We have "Life Essence" and "LP", which I've been assuming stands for "Life Points"? Why isn't it "LE" instead, so the terminology matches? The we also have the actual blood liquid in the Altar, which clearly goes up and down as the LP in the Altar goes up and down. So the red blood represents the "LP" numerical quantity shown for the Altar. This means that all three terms - "blood", "LP" and "Life Essence" are one and the same thing. Correct? By the use of 3 different terms for the same thing, the same concept, that's why the mod becomes confusing. IMO, perhaps it is just me.
Ehm yeah, you are right here. I think LP is the "unit" for the substance called Life Essence. Like Milk comes in Liters/Gallons.
But the main distinction you need to make is that the "blood"(Life essence) you have in altars and pump around in tanks/barrels/pipes, is quite different from the somewhat imaginary points you have in your "network".

So that leaves the Orbs. There is indication in the responses that Orbs can be placed "in" an Altar? So I did try that, and I did get the graphical representation that the Orb was filling with blood/LP/Essence. And indeed, the Altar's LP level dropped some before I pulled the Orb out. So... why doesn't the Orb now show a quantity of "LP"? You say "the LP's are in your network, not your orbs"... so where is my network then? Is the network the Altar itself? Where do I find out how much LP is stored in my network? Perhaps there is a tool for that, similar to the Divination Sigil showing the Altar's stats?
Your personal LP network is YOUR personal network. It is bound to your player. It works everywhere. If you place or use anything that is bound to you that uses LP, it will draw from that network. Even if you give it to someone else.
The Divinination Sigil is infact the exact tool you need to measure the content of your network. Right click it somewhere that is not an altar, and it will give you your network content. It should also show you a little meter on the left showing you the networks fill status.

Take care that if you place something down or use something that draws LP, but your network runs out, it will start having negative effects on your player.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013

So, as I understand it, you're using the Sacrificial Orb to fill the Altar with your own blood. That's the "self-sacrifice" way to produce LP. If you want to continue doing that, install some Self-Sacrifice Runes in your altar. This will make each point of your health put more than the usual amount of LP into your altar- that is, they make your blood worth more. I don't remember the exact amount, but it adds up. In addition, look into Incense. Burning incense nearby will supercharge your Sacrificial Orb, causing each click to take you all the way down to one heart, but multiplying the amount of LP generated. Each additional tier of incense you use at once will multiply the amount of LP using the orb generates again.

Alternatively, you can switch over to sacrificing mobs. Tossing an Iron Sword into a Tier 2 (or higher) blood altar (if the recipe hasn't been changed) will give you a Sacrificial Dagger. Then you can get a mob within a few blocks of the Altar and punch it with this dagger, it will kill the mob in one hit and dump some LP into the Altar. The amount of LP generated this way depends on the mob sacrificed- passive mobs don't provide very much, hostile mobs provide quite a bit more, and villagers are the best. However, due to the multitude of ways of producing large numbers of hostile mobs in modded Minecraft (and Cursed Earth from Extra Utilities in particular), most players opt for sacrificing hostile mobs. You can further increase the amount of LP generated this way by installing Runes of Sacrifice in your altar. Once again, each rune increases the amount of LP produced by a little bit. I don't remember how much off the top of my head, but I think it's multiplicative. So it adds up.

Thanks rhn... more questions/comments:

The tooltip for each Orb says "Stores raw Life Essence". The tooltip for the Altar (via right clicking it with the Divination Sigil in-hand) says "Altar's Current Essence: 17800 LP" and also "Capacity: 26000 LP"

So the confusion lies in terminology. We have "Life Essence" and "LP", which I've been assuming stands for "Life Points"? Why isn't it "LE" instead, so the terminology matches? Then we also have the actual blood liquid in the Altar, which clearly goes up and down as the LP in the Altar goes up and down. So the red blood represents the "LP" numerical quantity shown for the Altar. This means that all three terms - "blood", "LP" and "Life Essence" are one and the same thing. Correct? By the use of 3 different terms for the same thing, the same concept, that's why the mod becomes confusing. IMO, perhaps it is just me.

So that leaves the Orbs. There is indication in the responses that Orbs can be placed "in" an Altar? So I did try that, and I did get the graphical representation that the Orb was filling with blood/LP/Essence. And indeed, the Altar's LP level dropped some before I pulled the Orb out. So... why doesn't the Orb now show a quantity of "LP"? You say "the LP's are in your network, not your orbs"... so where is my network then? Is the network the Altar itself? Where do I find out how much LP is stored in my network? Perhaps there is a tool for that, similar to the Divination Sigil showing the Altar's stats?
LP, life essence, and millibuckets of blood are all different names for the same thing. The main difference, I guess, is where they're stored (and even then, the terms are pretty interchangable).

Before you can upgrade your altar to tier 4, you'll need to create a Bound Blade, which gives mobs a strong weakness debuff that also causes them to drop blood shards (protip: it doesn't work if the blade kills them in one hit. You can smack them with the blade and then kill them with something else, if you prefer; that works too). In order to get your Bound Blade, you will need to set up a Ritual of Binding. Craft a Master Ritual Stone, a Ritual Diviner, and a bunch of Ritual Stones; right-click the Diviner until it says "Ritual of Binding", place down your master ritual stone, and then click it a bunch with the Diviner until it's done. The diviner will color the ritual stones for you; no need to worry about that.

However, as you do so, you may find yourself taking damage; and activating the ritual (with an Activation Crystal bound to your player (be sure to click it on air before you click it on the master ritual stone)) may well kill you. You need to learn about the Soul Network.

Your Soul Network is kind of a wireless... network that stores LP, which is used to power essentially everything in Blood Magic other than crafting in the Blood Altar. All rituals, sigils, alchemical chemistry sets, tools, armor, weapons, and the miscellaneous items like the Lava Crystal draw LP from your soul network. If there's not enough LP there (or if you didn't bind them to your player- be sure you right-click them before you try to use any of them), they will draw from your health bar, so be warned. In order to get LP into your soul network, you need to use a Blood Orb. Either right-click with the orb in your hand, which will take one heart of health and produce a piddling amount of LP, or place the orb in a Blood Altar. As you saw, this will drain LP from the Altar. You can check on how much LP is in your soul network by right-clicking on air with a Divination Sigil. In addition, holding it in your hand will show a bar on the side of your screen with how much LP is in your network as a fraction of the maximum amount storable with the highest-tier orb you've bound to yourself.

The higher tier the orb you put in your Altar, the faster it will drain LP into your network, and the more LP it will be able to store there before it's "full". Also note that there's no way to get the LP back into your altar, aside from a very expensive and endgame ritual. Not that you're likely to need to need to do that ever- it's easier to just spawn and kill more mobs.

If I remember correctly, the Ritual of Binding needs something like 5000 LP, so make sure you've got more than that in your network before you activate it. Then, toss in a diamond sword, put out the fires, stand back, wait a minute, and pick up your shiny new Bound Blade. Right-click it to turn it on; be warned that it'll slowly draw LP form your soul network until you turn it off again.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
A keen blood mage worth their salt does not stoop so low as to sacrifice their own blood. True power must be taken.
I make obscene villager pens and figure out how to ferry them the killing block. That 1000 LP you get also gets affected by sacrifice rune multiplier.
If I really can't be bothered I just fill up 10 safari nets.
However if you have cursed earth and a lot of ingenuity you can funnel the mobs in such a way where they will rest on top of your altar for easy relatively safe kills with the sacrifical dagger.
Actually one super cheesy way of getting tonnes of LP on demand is to use an MFR spawner set to villager. Not sure if that's active for expert mode.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk