Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

deadRedKing

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys! Long time FTB fan (sorta...) first time poster!

I was hoping someone with a broad scope of all the modpacks could possibly help me.

For the longest time I've been using a dinosaur of a laptop for all my computer needs. However! I've got a new laptop! Before, with my dinosaur, I couldn't play any of the FTB packs. Well, I could, but the fps was like... 3... Maybe 5, if I got lucky. Which, if you know anything about anything - it's basically unplayable. I have, however, played a TON of the FTP packs vicariously through numerous Let's Plays. And I love every bit of it.

So here's the question: What would be a great modpack for me to get into?

I know that's probably a question everyone hates, but hopefully I can help you help me! (this is in no particular order)

Things I Love:
Chisel
, Carpenter's Blocks, Bibliocraft
Anything that involves extra decorative options for building.
Anything magic, Botania, Thaumcraft, Witchery, Blood Magic, Ars Magica?, Forbidden Magic, Arcane Scrolls
Magic-y stuff is my go-to for "what's fun in a Minecraft modpack"
Forestry, Magic Bees, Magical Crops, Ex Nihilo
I only really enjoy two types of technology - more 'nature-related' technology and industrial technology, but not incredibly futuristic at all. Most forms of automation are great in my eyes. P.S. I'm unsure of steampunkish mods being out there, but again - it'd be great.
Mekanism, Tinker's Construct, IC2, BuildCraft, RailCraft
See above, industrial technology stuff. I *think* IC2 and stuff might get into futuristic-type stuff, but I've never watched them getting *too* far into it. I would never do that.
Biomes O' Plenty, HarvestCraft, Natura, Mariculture, GrowthCraft, Agriculture
Extra world generation stuff and food stuff. Love love love it.
Mine & Blade Battlegear
I hate swords. Other weapon options are great.
Advent of Ascension, Twilight Forest, Infernal Mobs
Mixing things up with mobs is great, as well as worlds - however, in Departed, it just seemed like Advent of Ascension was too much.
GeoStrata, Enchanting Plus, Better Storage
Just little extra things, both beneficial and things that add difficulty. When my computer could handle Minecraft modpacks, I really enjoyed Terrafirmacraft, which was additional challenge, but not overbearing.

Things I Hate: (hate is a strong word, it just counters 'love' - I in no way mean any disrespect to these mod authors!)
Galacticraft
Really dislike futuristic stuff, so I can only assume this is what this mod is all about.
Advent of Ascension
I like AoA and dislike it. More mobs? Yes. More worlds? Yes? But not too overwhelming on the overworld. I've watched many Let's Plays where players would get interrupted doing the most basic tasks just by an onslaught of mobs.

I'm not asking for a grocery list of having all of the above mods in the same pack. Then I'd just build my own pack. But I really like how FTB packs are put together. And I want to experience them, given that I've never really been able to before. The mods above that are in bold are my favorite, but again - that doesn't mean they're required. And if a pack does have futuristic mods that are included, it's fine, so long as the theme of the mod isn't revolved around it.

Oh - and I do know I can add/remove mods to the mod packs. I just wanted a point in a generally good direction for my taste.
Thanks for anyone that cared to actually read this whole novel of a post. And thank you for anyone that takes the time to help me with my conundrum.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019

I was hoping someone with a broad scope of all the modpacks could possibly help me.

.......................................conundrum.

Most of the things you say you like are in the Direwolf20 1.7.10 pack and there is a series that you can play along with ..... DW20 is at episode 111 at the moment but you can start with episode 1 and progress at your own pace.

https://www.youtube.com/user/direwolf20/videos

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I'll recommend Revolution, it's got a fairly wide range of options for both magic and tech and for tech it's not really futuristic as it's big one is Rotarycraft which is firmly grounded in realism with Mekanism as the other major tech mod, for magic it's got both Botania and Thaumcraft along with another major magic called Chromaticraft you may not have heard of as it's less commonly used, it's big and interesting though, Grimoire of Gaia does most of it's extra mobs adding a plethora of biome and dimension specific mobs. TiC is in it as well, Buildcraft and Railcraft make appearances and that's all the major mods I can recall off the top of my head. However I will note that it does include Galacticraft, although it's not really futuristic, not like matter overdrive or anything, not any more than something like Mekanism anyway as it's just building rockets and flying to other planets/moons or building a spacestation, it's required for anything as far as I know though so you should be able to ignore it just fine unless you actually want to go explore other planets.

So yeah, I suggest that for basically ticking all your boxes and it should introduce you to some more mods in those same categories as it has a fair few more obscure and less used mods in it. It's homepage is here.

Reactions: Haggle1996

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

For the longest time I've been using a dinosaur of a laptop for all my computer needs. However! I've got a new laptop! Before, with my dinosaur, I couldn't play any of the FTB packs. Well, I could, but the fps was like... 3... Maybe 5, if I got lucky. Which, if you know anything about anything - it's basically unplayable. I have, however, played a TON of the FTP packs vicariously through numerous Let's Plays. And I love every bit of it.

So here's the question: What would be a great modpack for me to get into?

I know that's probably a question everyone hates, but hopefully I can help you help me! (this is in no particular order)

Things I Love:
Chisel
, Carpenter's Blocks, Bibliocraft
Anything that involves extra decorative options for building.
Anything magic, Botania, Thaumcraft, Witchery, Blood Magic, Ars Magica?, Forbidden Magic, Arcane Scrolls
Magic-y stuff is my go-to for "what's fun in a Minecraft modpack"
Forestry, Magic Bees, Magical Crops, Ex Nihilo
I only really enjoy two types of technology - more 'nature-related' technology and industrial technology, but not incredibly futuristic at all. Most forms of automation are great in my eyes. P.S. I'm unsure of steampunkish mods being out there, but again - it'd be great.
Mekanism, Tinker's Construct, IC2, BuildCraft, RailCraft
See above, industrial technology stuff. I *think* IC2 and stuff might get into futuristic-type stuff, but I've never watched them getting *too* far into it. I would never do that.
Biomes O' Plenty, HarvestCraft, Natura, Mariculture, GrowthCraft, Agriculture
Extra world generation stuff and food stuff. Love love love it.
Mine & Blade Battlegear
I hate swords. Other weapon options are great.
Advent of Ascension, Twilight Forest, Infernal Mobs
Mixing things up with mobs is great, as well as worlds - however, in Departed, it just seemed like Advent of Ascension was too much.
GeoStrata, Enchanting Plus, Better Storage
Just little extra things, both beneficial and things that add difficulty. When my computer could handle Minecraft modpacks, I really enjoyed Terrafirmacraft, which was additional challenge, but not overbearing.

Things I Hate: (hate is a strong word, it just counters 'love' - I in no way mean any disrespect to these mod authors!)
Galacticraft
Really dislike futuristic stuff, so I can only assume this is what this mod is all about.
Advent of Ascension
I like AoA and dislike it. More mobs? Yes. More worlds? Yes? But not too overwhelming on the overworld. I've watched many Let's Plays where players would get interrupted doing the most basic tasks just by an onslaught of mobs.

I'm not asking for a grocery list of having all of the above mods in the same pack. Then I'd just build my own pack. But I really like how FTB packs are put together. And I want to experience them, given that I've never really been able to before. The mods above that are in bold are my favorite, but again - that doesn't mean they're required. And if a pack does have futuristic mods that are included, it's fine, so long as the theme of the mod isn't revolved around it.

Oh - and I do know I can add/remove mods to the mod packs. I just wanted a point in a generally good direction for my taste.
Thanks for anyone that cared to actually read this whole novel of a post. And thank you for anyone that takes the time to help me with my conundrum.

One word of warning... Don't be disappointed by your new laptop's performance, particularly using some packs. Laptops will not perform like the systems you see in Let's Plays. You didn't supply specs but here are a few particulars:

Your OS should be 64-bit, as should your Java version. If you haven't loaded Java yet I'd suggest using the Curse Voice launcher, since it automatically loads a temporary copy of the recommended Java for the pack you want which is removed after you quit minecraft... never worry about having the "right" version. All the FtB packs are there and FtB is moving to that launcher in the near future anyway.

If you only have 4GB ram installed you won't be able to run much beyond Vanilla or a "lite" pack. Your OS will need about half of that to run properly, a bit more if the GPU is sharing ram with the system. After that, to run 1.7 packs Java wants 4GB. Luckily most laptops come with 8GB these days.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

DPowerGTX

Jul 29, 2019
So does anyone know a place where i can ask about finding some people to play ftb with? was hoping to find someone who was good at building and could teach me a few things and we could play together....so i guess some subforum in the multiplayer section?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The problem is that most modded players are not builders. There are exceptions. But, most are in it for the technical & automation or for the magic. But once they complete certain tech or magic trees they essentially stop playing because they get bored. I'm doing my best to become a better builder. I'm still very much learning to be more creative for that aspect. The tech/magic for the most part I can do without issues and I do enjoy the tech more.

But, I run my own server and right after I do a world reset suddenly everybody is playing again for a few weeks. Then bam... ghost town and I'm usually the only one still playing. I like to to take my time and not rush through things. But, it takes longer trying to be creative with your builds.

The one tip I can give you is if you aren't sure, do some test building in creative single player to get a better feel for the color/textures you are looking for. Oh at present I highly recommend the Infinity pack for building because it contains chisel, carpenter's blocks and decocraft. Between that and micro blocks and can get some very fine detail to your builds.

DPowerGTX

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that most modded players are not builders. There are exceptions. But, most are in it for the technical & automation or for the magic. But once they complete certain tech or magic trees they essentially stop playing because they get bored. I'm doing my best to become a better builder. I'm still very much learning to be more creative for that aspect. The tech/magic for the most part I can do without issues and I do enjoy the tech more.

But, I run my own server and right after I do a world reset suddenly everybody is playing again for a few weeks. Then bam... ghost town and I'm usually the only one still playing. I like to to take my time and not rush through things. But, it takes longer trying to be creative with your builds.

The one tip I can give you is if you aren't sure, do some test building in creative single player to get a better feel for the color/textures you are looking for. Oh at present I highly recommend the Infinity pack for building because it contains chisel, carpenter's blocks and decocraft. Between that and micro blocks and can get some very fine detail to your builds.
Eh, even if they cant build well i was just hoping for someone to play with anyhow

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone want a modpack? It's all put together, no one uses it. But there are several MT recipes and config changes. I wouldn't consider it 100% complete so if you wanna do some up keeping on a pack you can have it.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Has the ability to plant essence oreberry bushes on top other essence oreberry bushes been removed?

It won't let me do it for some reason.

[Note: yes, I am in a darkened room and yes, my bottom layer of bushes is fully grown and producing berries]

DPowerGTX

Jul 29, 2019
So im not sure if theres a place on this forum for this type, but does anyone know someone who posts tutorials on how to build houses for ftb? Ive been watching direwolf for a bit...but now i just need to learn how to make stuff look good if you guys have any suggestions.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
The DireCube is the pinnacle of buildings in modded MC. :p

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
So im not sure if theres a place on this forum for this type, but does anyone know someone who posts tutorials on how to build houses for ftb? Ive been watching direwolf for a bit...but now i just need to learn how to make stuff look good if you guys have any suggestions.

check out the Community Showcase folder. (rhn in particular) lots of good stuff to get your creative juices flowing there

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
so start by coping other peoples stuff, as you build you will see things you prefer.. and sooner and later you got your own stuff going. but having a source of inspiration sure helps as a lot of times others will have ideas you havent.. so mix.. match and shake :)