Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Its funny the things you find by coming here - was going to make a myst void world, did not know about the last millennium, now I have just visited my new home. Does the last villager do anything - he has no trades

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
Actually mod pack makers or 'authors' don't need to "justify" anything. Would you ask a book author to justify the plot of a book.? Mod authors compile packs based on their opinion of what should be in the pack. Players decide which pack to play based on the included mods. This has worked well for quite a while!
I didn't say they have to do it, I basicly just said I would be interested in such reasoning. In interviews authors are asked what inspired them and game designers and devs justify their decisions all the time.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't say they have to do it, I basicly just said I would be interested in such reasoning. In interviews authors are asked what inspired them and game designers and devs justify their decisions all the time.

I sat down and wrote a long reply but deleted it and have chosen to make it brief.

Mod authors make mod packs - the "justification" for what they choose to include and exclude is ... it is their choice and their mod pack
You playing a mod pack does not grant you ownership of the pack .... if you have a mod that you want in the mod pack you play .. play a pack that contains THAT mod, add that mod to a pack or create your own mod pack.
While I am sure your intention is not meant to cause harm I have seen a number of devs and mod pack authors give up due to constant harassment from people who needed to give unsolicited advice or make demands for inclusion or justification for exclusion etc, and when the creator Notch gives that as one of the reasons he walked away (yes with a bundle of cash, but from a project he loved and profile he did not) it concerns me that the same thing keeps happening.

I have put personal mod packs together and I hope to never do it again, please just find a mod pack you enjoy playing and accept the hard work that the mod pack author has donated to you, when you stop enjoying it .... find another one ... there are loads of them out there!

- OK so not brief but briefer

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I think the reasoning of "I didn't add it because I didn't want to" is all the justification a user needs. Or a simple "no" response when someone asks if they will add <mod>, is more than acceptable.

No one has to justify anything to anyone.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I feel that the pack authors just didn't realize a 1.7.10 update existed and will be like, "Woops! Time to add it to the next update."

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
You playing a mod pack does not grant you ownership of the pack ....
I think you are over-interpreting the OP, all he wanted to know is whether he should expect any problems with either compatibility or balance by adding a major mod to the pack. He never demanded anything, he merely expressed an opinion about having more information about mod pack creation.

Reactions: Padfoote

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I feel that the pack authors just didn't realize a 1.7.10 update existed and will be like, "Woops! Time to add it to the next update."
What is more likely is that the mod authors know exactly what is ready and what is still in development, take the DW20 pack for instance a number of mods that were always going to be in the pack did not get in the initial release because they where not ready and got added later which is both good and bad - good that unstable mods did not get included and bad that world generation problems occurred as a result of them being added later, I imaging when RFTools is added next update there may be problems, but the mod pack authors want to add it (and I am looking forward to playing around with it) so I am happy to keep playing with the pack. A benefit of playing the DW20 pack is that while Dire is not the author he has a lot of input as to what gets in and what doesn't and he plays on the Forgecraft with a lot of the mod devs and had first hand experience of the state the mod is in.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What is more likely is that the mod authors know exactly what is ready and what is still in development, take the DW20 pack for instance a number of mods that were always going to be in the pack did not get in the initial release because they where not ready and got added later which is both good and bad - good that unstable mods did not get included and bad that world generation problems occurred as a result of them being added later, I imaging when RFTools is added next update there may be problems, but the mod pack authors want to add it (and I am looking forward to playing around with it) so I am happy to keep playing with the pack. A benefit of playing the DW20 pack is that while Dire is not the author he has a lot of input as to what gets in and what doesn't and he plays on the Forgecraft with a lot of the mod devs and had first hand experience of the state the mod is in.

Slight correction on this. Nothing is added, removed, or updated in that pack without dire saying he wants it done. The pack authors simply maintain it for him.

Reactions: Type1Ninja and rhn

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Slight correction on this. Nothing is added, removed, or updated in that pack without dire saying he wants it done. The pack authors simply maintain it for him.
Absolutely .. I was making sure I was not corrected for saying Dire was "The Author"

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

This is not a problem for me personally... I delete any worlds and start fresh with every new update to avoid these problems.

[Edit] Also, since Direwolf20 (and Soaryn117) play on Forgecraft2, along with a lot of mod devs, they are in fact acting as pre-alpha mod testers since most mods on FC2 are "in development".

Dire's role seems to be to suggest features to add/fix, as is demonstrated by his work with EE3 and Pahimar ("When can I pipe items in and out to automate?").

As far as I can tell, Soaryn is there to suggest coding reasons things might not be working correctly, and also to expose exploits and find "creative techniques" to ge the most out of new mods :D

Last edited:

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
This is not a problem for me personally... I delete any worlds and start fresh with every new update to avoid these problems.

[Edit] Also, since Direwolf20 (and Soaryn117) play on Forgecraft2, along with a lot of mod devs, they are in fact acting as pre-alpha mod testers since most mods on FC2 are "in development".

Dire's role seems to be to suggest features to add/fix, as is demonstrated by his work with EE3 and Pahimar ("When can I pipe items in and out to automate?").

As far as I can tell, Soaryn is there to suggest coding reasons things might not be working correctly, and also to expose exploits and find "creative techniques" to ge the most out of new mods :D
Funny but much of what you wrote I started to write but thought I had gone on (and on) a bit already.

But the way I put the roles is that Dire is there to exploit automation and Soaryn is there to break thing

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Is there a file I can edit to change the contents of the starter chest in MC?

I don't generally add it to worldgen but it would be lulzy to remove the contents and add:

Some dispensers,
A bucket of water,
Some redstone,
Some redstone repeaters,
Some redstone torches,
Lots of TNT.

/world

:)

Reactions: jordsta95

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a file I can edit to change the contents of the starter chest in MC?

I don't generally add it to worldgen but it would be lulzy to remove the contents and add:

Some dispensers,
A bucket of water,
Some redstone,
Some redstone repeaters,
Some redstone torches,
Lots of TNT.

/world

:)
No file, maybe there is a way with mods like minetweaker or squidsutils though?

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
I sat down and wrote a long reply but deleted it and have chosen to make it brief.

Mod authors make mod packs - the "justification" for what they choose to include and exclude is ... it is their choice and their mod pack
You playing a mod pack does not grant you ownership of the pack .... if you have a mod that you want in the mod pack you play .. play a pack that contains THAT mod, add that mod to a pack or create your own mod pack.
While I am sure your intention is not meant to cause harm I have seen a number of devs and mod pack authors give up due to constant harassment from people who needed to give unsolicited advice or make demands for inclusion or justification for exclusion etc, and when the creator Notch gives that as one of the reasons he walked away (yes with a bundle of cash, but from a project he loved and profile he did not) it concerns me that the same thing keeps happening.

I have put personal mod packs together and I hope to never do it again, please just find a mod pack you enjoy playing and accept the hard work that the mod pack author has donated to you, when you stop enjoying it .... find another one ... there are loads of them out there!

- OK so not brief but briefer

I think the reasoning of "I didn't add it because I didn't want to" is all the justification a user needs. Or a simple "no" response when someone asks if they will add <mod>, is more than acceptable.

No one has to justify anything to anyone.

I answer to you two, because it goes hand-in-hand. Again, I didn't say they have to justify it, I just say I am interested in this information and yes, I appreciate their work very much. A justification of "we didn't think it fits" or "we don't like it" would be fully okay with me, but these are simply not the only reasons they will have for every mod. I asked in the TechWorld2 thread, why Computercraft or Applied Energistics (one of those) wasn't updated in a new version of the pack and they gave me the info I needed: there was a bug or a incompatibility. The thing I am interested in is if they already tested it and experienced performance or compatbility issues with other mods, I know what I expect when I add the mod to my pack and if it's worth it. That's really it.

Maybe I'm the only one who sees this kind of information very valuable, so I can just continue to ask these questions in the forums. That's fine with me as well.

Peace.

edit:
I think you are over-interpreting the OP, all he wanted to know is whether he should expect any problems with either compatibility or balance by adding a major mod to the pack. He never demanded anything, he merely expressed an opinion about having more information about mod pack creation.
yes, that's basicly it. Sorry to anyone who interpreted any way of hostility or rudeness in my post.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I answer to you two, because it goes hand-in-hand. Again, I didn't say they have to justify it, I just say I am interested in this information and yes, I appreciate their work very much. A justification of "we didn't think it fits" or "we don't like it" would be fully okay with me, but these are simply not the only reasons they will have for every mod. I asked in the TechWorld2 thread, why Computercraft or Applied Energistics (one of those) wasn't updated in a new version of the pack and they gave me the info I needed: there was a bug or a incompatibility. The thing I am interested in is if they already tested it and experienced performance or compatbility issues with other mods, I know what I expect when I add the mod to my pack and if it's worth it. That's really it.

Maybe I'm the only one who sees this kind of information very valuable, so I can just continue to ask these questions in the forums. That's fine with me as well.

Peace.

edit:

yes, that's basicly it. Sorry to anyone who interpreted any way of hostility or rudeness in my post.

OK maybe was a bit harsh but the word 'justify' was used and that struck a chord.

To summarise reasons mods are not included -
1 Like the mod but it was not ready/stable at the time of putting mod pack together
2 Hate the mod - would never use it
3 The mod is fine but there is another mod or a group of mods I am including that do the same things so I don't need it
4 The mod does not fit the theme I am going for

But if what you actually want to know is not 'why the mod was not included' try the direct approach - if you really want to know if the reason the mod was not included is due to compatibility issues then simply ask "are there any known compatibility issues with" mod x and mod pack y.

As well as not getting reply 2, 3 or 4 above ,if the author answers, which does not answer what you really want to know, it gives you the opportunity of getting a response from someone who has tried to add it, if they had problems and how they solved them.

220px-Peace_sign.svg.png