Ars Magica 2 community spellbook

Zen300

Jul 29, 2019
@DanBeatYou_xD
So if I say but together the following;
Binding (sword catalyst), Touch, Fire, Blind, Entangle

(Fire can be replaced with a different damage type, using it as an example)

Would this sword, because it is magical in nature. Be superior to a normal sword for the purpose of killing guardians? A lot of them seem to be designed to just flat out resist damage from swords and weapons in general. So not sure since the binding would be a sword, if it would take on the traits of the spell used to make it and thus be magical base damage.... Or take on the traits of a sword and be more physical based. Most Guardians, most notably Earth, are highly resistant to swords and physical based damage.

I'm curious now if this might be a way to go face to face with a Guardian without needing tons of mana potions and using projectile attacks that they seem to enjoy dodging a lot in my experience....

DanBeatYou_xD

Jul 29, 2019
Each cast uses about 400-1k mana. I'd suggest consider this cheaper options bout 100 mana per strike
Binding, touch, firestorm (low mode), simply cast a few times, when nearly dead use your sword or normal spell to get the drop>

As for a rapier, this is how you make an OP one.
Manylum blade, paper crossbar, thaunium rod (paper if not installed). Add a RF capicaitor (leadstone) if TE is installed, otherwise max quartz.

A better option, if thermal expansion is not installed is this: Pure paper rapier, add 1 diamond and the rest quartz including the nether star and diamond and gold block modifers. This does about 12-14 damage and needs just paper to repair.

Alternativly, if you wana make a powerful cleaver the following will do well:
Manylun blade (large), thanium large plate, paper rest (x2 tough tool rods). Add max quartz = 37 damage approx.

Hope this helps you guys.

If doing with magic, I'd suggest a 2 system combo - mark and recall (projectile mark), (projectile AoE Recall). Build a high platform, set your mark under it and remove to be sure or leave. Simply recall any boss to it and let fall damage kill him - when its nearly dead kill manually. this works well and can be done from range on a fire guardian.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, how I do dig Diamonds with Ars Magica 2 ?
Change the casting mode, you cannot mine them in diminished
You can tell what mode you're in with the 'moon' next to your mana bar, cresent = diminished, half = normal, full = augmented

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I did a crazy spell, but it is way too much:

Zone
Projectile - Pierce (x3)
Area of Effect - Range (x3) - Dig

This thing is ridiculous, it digs 5x5 holes on diminished, and drains all my mana (level 20) in a single round, because the cost written on it seems to be only the base cost, and it takes mana with each projctile after that.

I don't even want to try that thing on normal or augmented, the area would just be too much for me.
Anyway, thanks to this thread, I think I now understand better how the spell writting works, and am having a lot of fun experimenting.

Now, I still have a question, which is what spell should I make for levelling purpose past level 20?
I levelled with the 'touch - dig' spell, but it gives so little experience now that it's just too much of a grind to get even a single level. I also tried to use higher grade spells, like 'projectile - starfall', but it still gives little experience, and actually gives way less per mana spent than the dig spell.
I am planing on trying to use the farming branch of the spells, but I doubt it will be any good for experience either.

DanBeatYou_xD

Jul 29, 2019
For training its kinda grind to be honest. The burnout meter not only increases mana cost, but decreases xp gain, so spamming a spell often yeilds little xp, yet using them now and then is more beneficial. I'd suggest making utility spells you can use often and get higher xp without any real effort or going out of your way. Some are below:

Utility:
Light - projectile, light
Dig - Projectile, AoE, Dig
Water - Projectile, Create Water
Self Grow - zone, AoE, Grow
Storage - Projectile, rift storage
Dispell, heal - Self, dispel, heal (good for fighting the wither)
Refil mana - Self, lifetap, heal
Charm - Projectile, AoE, Charm
Banish rain - Self, banish rain
Summon rain - Self, summon rain
Enderpearl - Projectile, mark, self, recall

Offensive:
Damage - projectile, [element - lightning a good choice or frost], damage
Entangle - Projectile, entangle
Stay Back - Beam, entangle, lightning damage
Disarm - Projectile, disarm
Hand of God - Binding, touch, entangle, blind, blizzard {bound sword that blinds, makes the target unable to see and does Rapid damage - med cast mode for best results}

Maybe runes might be useful - every now and then when burnout is on 0, cast some runes for later use? I havn't used them personally, but things like:
Rune of Speed: Rune, aoe, haste, duration x2
Rune of [effect]: Rune, aoe/zone, [effect], duration to increase length of it - the cast mode increases the strength of the effect
**These havn't been tested but initial thoughts** I would imagine, these runes setup in a way before any boss battle, might be very useful and help with your issue - maybe a powerful regen rune with a haste and slowfall one to negate fall damage and increased speed, may help you.

Other than those, most things will be grinding. You can make some of these and have some luck with them:
Training 1: Self, Manashield, lifetap (cast low-med)
Training 2: Self, Manashield, regen, lifetap
NOTE ^^ Wear some decent armour which is unbreakable - Ichorium from thaumcraft is perfect for this.
BE WARNED --> On servers, the mana shield and lifetap combo does not always work as intended, especially low level i.e. damages shield before restoring mana, thus some times you take damage. Test ofline, otherwise use these:
Training1: Self, regen, lifetap, heal
Basically do self, [effect] lifetap, heal to get what you want. Equally, that setup can allow you to cast something unlimited pretty much eg
Projectile, lightning, self, lifetap, heal (low cast, spam)

With the use of a rapier - ideally make it out of either pure paper and then add the following: 1 diamond, 300 quartz approx. (Cheap to repair and does a decent damage to most ars bosses.
ideally if other mods present. Manylum blade, thaum rod, paper cross bar --> Add 1 diamond and gold block for an extra modifier, 1 nether star. Add a leadstone capicator, lapis (450), max quartz. This has about 13 damage, looting III and is recharable using RF.

If Thermal expansion is not used and pure magic mods are only in, I'd use thaum blade, paper rod, paper cross bar, lapis, quartz.

Hope that helps, but other than normal and everyday use, training is slow.
Dan
P.S Excuse spelling, its late here.

DanBeatYou_xD

Jul 29, 2019
@DanBeatYou_xD
So if I say but together the following;
Binding (sword catalyst), Touch, Fire, Blind, Entangle

(Fire can be replaced with a different damage type, using it as an example)

Would this sword, because it is magical in nature. Be superior to a normal sword for the purpose of killing guardians? A lot of them seem to be designed to just flat out resist damage from swords and weapons in general. So not sure since the binding would be a sword, if it would take on the traits of the spell used to make it and thus be magical base damage.... Or take on the traits of a sword and be more physical based. Most Guardians, most notably Earth, are highly resistant to swords and physical based damage.

I'm curious now if this might be a way to go face to face with a Guardian without needing tons of mana potions and using projectile attacks that they seem to enjoy dodging a lot in my experience....

The sword would do two damage types - firs the physical damage i.e. hitting the mob - this can be increased with sharpness V (Get a book with it, put spell in sword form and anvil it together); the second damage would be the spell and do the same amount of damage as if you were to cast it without the sword.
So to your question - the damage would be both physical and magical and would be two separate ones so physical damage dealt, then the magical damage dealt.
The benefit of the binding spell is you can have it bound, let your mana regen then hit the target for a 100% hit chance.

For your issue, I would suggest using the lightning damage or drown type as it bypasses armour, similar to a rapier and will work better. Alternatively, a silverskill spell such as firestorm or blizzard would do a lot of damage to these bosses --> Note however, these can destroy dropped items, so use the silverskill spells to lower hp and not kill the target.

This spell would be cheaper and easy to use: Binding, touch, lightning OR drown, [damage modifers if unlocked them]. ***DONT ADD LIGHTNING AND DROWN - multiple damage types do not increase total damage, it just devides the damage into different types - eg want someone to be slow and piece armour then do lightning and frost.***This spell will do a lot of magical damage which would bypass the protection, whilst doing some extra physical damage for very little mana. Combine this with some runes pre-made i.e. regen, duration, (med-high mode) should help. Another idea, is maybe make a cage or an arena to fight him and include a nexus nearby to run and gain a regen buff?
Another idea maybe - make a projectile spell --> spawn the boss away and then lure him into an area (They don't break blocks after they have been summoned) Have a caster and a light nexus to fire a projectile spell at him until he is nearly dead, then go and finish the job.

Regarding someone mentioning they used starfall and damage was low. Starfall from what I've seen has one of the if not the lowest damage - if your after pure damage lightning = best, and drown = 2nd best as both bypass armour and do direct damage. Silverskill spells, firestorm does more but can be moved out of, blizzard does rapid and makes it harder for your target to escape, starfall does very little damage but can be spammed.

Launcelot_J

Jul 29, 2019
Some comments about bosses:

Water: Best way to get blue orbs, trap it for easy kills.

Earth: Make a rapier, or magic damage spell. Blizzard is harder to get, but also works well.

Air: Shoot it to get it to teleport to you, then get it on the ground, unless you can fly.

Nature: Trap it in a room, and spam with rapier. Earth guardian chest plate makes this easier.

Ice: Not really worth it,but pour lava on its head to kill it, then finish with spells from a range.

Fire: Don't do it unless you are OP as he** or have unbreakable armor. Fire resistance doesn't help much.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I have a few things to add for the 3 I fight.

Water: Just make a 5x5 arena around the summon area, with 2+ high walls, have a bit of armour and a sword, and you'll down it in no time.
With the right setup, it's totally possible to get him in two hits from blood magic's bound blade, for example.

Air: same kind of arena, choose a very high mountain or slime island to b high enough, and build the arena as a 5x5x3, with the roof, it negates his most annoying attack (the launch).
You still need a decent armour, and he can unequip pieces of it with its attacks, so leave empty slots in your main bar to quickly re equip them.
Not really powerful per say, but unprepared characters could meet their doom with it.
On the plus side, it tends to drop multiple air essences, giving you more than what's needed to fight again.
The air sled makes the game incredibly laggy for me, but it's a nice way to float early on.

Ice: Requires a bit of material to summon, and incredibly powerful, but his tendency to want to keep close and at the same Y level makes it easier to fight if you use a rapier from 1Y lower ground. Be careful, even OP armours like the blood magic one won't garantee your life, you'll need regen buffs at the very least to survive.
An arena is not really needed, as it can teleport (blink?) anyway, but make sure you can flee, in case it becomes dangerous.

DanBeatYou_xD

Jul 29, 2019
Adding to the Ice guardian, I'd suggest a rapier, decent armour and a heal spell. Simply make a 5x5 arena and the inside inlay exposed to the sky summon him. Make it 2 high and simply hit him repeatedly and heal up when needed - level 20-30 works with ease.

Fire guardian make a projectile mark and a projectile aoe recall -> set your mark on the ceiling in the nether, fire the recall at him and watch him fall. Repeat until nearly dead and swoop in for the final blow.

If micro blocks is installed, this can make these bosses much easier if you make arenas in which the boss spawns but is partly trapped inside a block. An air arena if made correctly allows you to kill him with 0 damage - you can even semi automate this by adding a lava part to burn him and wait then hit final blow. Images can be provided if requested.

Launcelot_J

Jul 29, 2019
Just retested the fire guardian...mark/recall is great, but I suggest taking to the overworld with divine? Intervention first. That way, you have more space to breathe. I'd also reccomend a fling-knockback x3 to knock him out of his regen move.

Also, is regen-healing x3 or heal-healing x3 better?

Thirdly, anyone have ideas for fast-paced FTB rapier combat?

DanBeatYou_xD

Jul 29, 2019
What about a rune - regen healing, duration
The heal I'd personally use self, dispel, heal --> this removes all illments and if put on low cast just spam for rapid hp. This seems more efficient then more powerful heal spells, modifers don't seem to take much-no effect when cast on diminished.

For rapier combat I am unsure what you'd be looking for here - if after an ars magica counter --> I'd suggest maybe contingency damage, aoe, radius, disarm, blind, entangle, (blizzard to be mean) or lightning damage. The attack gets blinded, drops held item and you can counter them.
Alterntivly this may be useful:
Contd. Dammage, AoE, radius x1-2, disarm, entangle, [optional blind], self, heal, regen --> Make this, place inside a casting rune, charge and allow it to be applied to you on max strength. The Hp heal would do majority if not all your health as well as apply some nasty effects. Add a duration to make the stuff last longer - I'd suggest on entangle so they cant escape.

My final soloution is a simple cont. damage, aoe, radius x3, recall - have your marked area inside a trapped place. The recall works very well if cast on med mode and within the same dimension. To make it easier to apply, cast this buff when by your marked place.

Hope it helps

mezzoEmrys

Jul 29, 2019
A high damage, 0 mana cost spell I discovered playing around in creative:
Rune/Zone/Radius[x3]/Duration[x3]/Channel/Lifetap
You can add or remove durations and radii as needed, of course
When something triggers it, if it doesn't get out of the zone fast enough, its health just disappears out from under it. And, since you're really only using lifetap, it costs 0 mana.
I can't vouch for how reliable it is against bosses and the like, but it does work for pvp with its marvelous price of FREE

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
A high damage, 0 mana cost spell I discovered playing around in creative:
Rune/Zone/Radius[x3]/Duration[x3]/Channel/Lifetap
You can add or remove durations and radii as needed, of course
When something triggers it, if it doesn't get out of the zone fast enough, its health just disappears out from under it. And, since you're really only using lifetap, it costs 0 mana.
I can't vouch for how reliable it is against bosses and the like, but it does work for pvp with its marvelous price of FREE
The problem is, IIRC lifetap does more damage to you based on how powerful the spell is.

mezzoEmrys

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is, IIRC lifetap does more damage to you based on how powerful the spell is.
In testing this one still dealt 5 damage as soon as the target wasn't in their invincibility frames, and had the interesting side effect of "if you respawn too fast after dying in it, you'll still be casting it when you respawn which can kill you again"

TheLastSpecter

Jul 29, 2019
>Projectile | Piercing | Piercing | Piercing | AoE | Radius| Radius| Radius | Dig
It takes a lot of mana to use but it makes a Quarry

epicniss32

Jul 29, 2019
Guys so I tested the bound sowrd but it didn't refill my mana, why? It was
Binding/touch/magic damage/self/life tap/heal

CypherAJ

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain me why Channel + Dig doesn'twork for me on both dim and normal modes (don't have augmented yet)?