Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Just got through crooking a Greatwood of 'reasonable size' and I ended up with 2 additional saplings. The crook was reed but enchanted with Fortune III. Am I now RNG's bitch too?

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
LOL. "You need a lot of cobble" is the understatement of the year. I guess that one is more for players on servers that continue to run while you're away. I mean yeah, I like this game, but 500 hours even with a setup that counts as "excessive"? It's not the only thing I do in my life.
I'd strongly recommend setting up a local server and just letting it run if you have any interest in completing some of the larger hoarding quests.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Just got through crooking a Greatwood of 'reasonable size' and I ended up with 2 additional saplings. The crook was reed but enchanted with Fortune III. Am I now RNG's bitch too?
Unless drop rates have been changed, yes. Yes you are.
I normally get 8 saplings from a greatwood tree without crooking

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
I'd strongly recommend setting up a local server and just letting it run if you have any interest in completing some of the larger hoarding quests.

How to do this without dying repeatedly from starvation? Is there a trick with setting up some Thaumcraft or Blood Magic regen thing that'll keep you alive while starving?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
How to do this without dying repeatedly from starvation? Is there a trick with setting up some Thaumcraft or Blood Magic regen thing that'll keep you alive while starving?

Local server means the world will continue to run [as long as the computer you play with is running] but you'll be fine as long as you logoff. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this plz [like I really need to ask :p].

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Unless drop rates have been changed, yes. Yes you are.
I normally get 8 saplings from a greatwood tree without crooking

Hehe. After this was the Silverwood...an enchanted golden crook [repaired many times] and 2 saplings in the bag. I'm still confused as to who's the bitch tho.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumium grafter. Very cheap, guaranteed sapling from every leaf. Also, the only enchant it can get is repair, so a very easy way of farming those books.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
A few more questions:

I'm about to finish that liquid meat quest. Oh my, this has taken the most ridiculously long time, and unfortunately it's also one I might want to repeat. I'd rather not do more of that disgusting stuff, thus my questions:
(1) Is there another way to get pearl oysters? You'll need some pearls to build the machines for the...."Biologist" quest I think it was.
(2) I've tried to get water hives to spawn for some time now, since you'll need them for the color bees, and I'd rather have a purple drone (I have two princesses but no drone) before I'm done with the quest that will give me one. I have not been successful, which is possibly because of the lack of lily pads. Is there any other way to get water bees? Or don't I need lily pads and was just unlucky?

@AlwaysCoolingOff:
Apparently on a server, the MFR chunk loaders will keep your world running while you're offline, at the price of a significant investment in power. That's what PurpleMentat did in his first AgS LP series. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to create a local server. Are there any guides around?

BTW, I think it's inapproriate to act towards technical issues like chunk loading as if they were gameplay features, so I'd use a creative power source for this with no regrets and no bad conscience.[DOUBLEPOST=1409044188][/DOUBLEPOST]
Healing axe ;)
I didn't know about that. A far simpler solution. I have a number of division sigils from upgrading my blood altar. And you don't even need a server. Just enter some GUI and switch out of the game.

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently on a server, the MFR chunk loaders will keep your world running while you're offline, at the price of a significant investment in power. That's what PurpleMentat did in his first AgS LP series. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to create a local server. Are there any guides around?

BTW, I think it's inappropriate to act towards technical issues like chunk loading as if they were gameplay features, so I'd use a creative power source for this with no regrets and no bad conscience.

To make a local server, open your launcher and select AgSkies, but instead of hitting Launch, select Download Server. This gives you a zip file. Unzip it somewhere to make your server folder. In that is a file named serverstart.bat. Run that once to initialize the server, then close the window that opened when it's stopped doing anything.

There's a folder in the server file called World, that contains your server save data. If you make a copy of your single-player save file, rename it World, and put it in the server folder in place of the one that's already in there, then your save is ready to be played on the server. To run the server again, simply run serverstart.bat, and to play your world, load up Minecraft, select multiplayer, and enter your address as "localhost" (without the speech marks).

Also with regards to chunk loading, Chicken Chunks is in AgSkies and allows you to make chunk loaders that require no power - all you need is an enchanting table and a handful of ender pearls.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Museli:
Thanks for the info.

Regarding the chunkloading, apparently MFR chunkloaders work differently from the Chicken Chunks ones. I don't know the technical issues, but it seems that some things don't keep running with CC's chunk loaders if you're offline. Anyway, since I now know about the healing axe I don't need to deal with that and can just let my SSP version run.

@all:
I would still like to know if it's possible to spawn water hives or if there's another way to get pearl oysters except getting them as a quest reward.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
@all:
I would still like to know if it's possible to spawn water hives or if there's another way to get pearl oysters except getting them as a quest reward.

The water hives do need water lilies, I think. You can get them by crooking dirt covered by water unless that's changed like I heard the ex nihilo/whichever author mention once.
Most of the hives now have a blood magic recipe now, as well.

I'm pretty sure you can get oysters through Mariculture fishing. I got all mine through bag rewards, though. XD

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If you have gendustry up and running, you can just remove the need for lily pads on the bees by using the genetic imprinter machine.

P.s. To add genetic samples to the template, just place them in a crafting grid together. It will consume your sample when you do this, so make sure to make a copy of it first. Also, genes cannot be removed from a template once added, although they can be replaced.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I am a bit lost and need some help. I have a sweet setup with 3 sieves going to one smeltery. From there I have liquiducts pulling the stuff and making it into bars. I have barrels collecting all the other drops. I have this sorted with itemducts using the dense mode to force everything to my sorting barrels except the ores, dust etc which have no room.

I want to upgrade to ME and know how it generally works but for the life of me I cannot work out how to sort the ores out from the other drops without having a whole bunch of export buses into my smeltery. I understand that ME does shortest route to which could work but then the other drops will end up in my smeltery.

Some help please :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@netmc:
Yeah, but for that you have to have the bees first. This was about needing lily pads to spawn the hives. Not any more though, since the water hive has indeed a blood magic recipe.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I want to upgrade to ME and know how it generally works but for the life of me I cannot work out how to sort the ores out from the other drops without having a whole bunch of export buses into my smeltery. I understand that ME does shortest route to which could work but then the other drops will end up in my smeltery.
I understand you want to route the metals to your smeltery while the other stuff goes elsewhere, right?

Here's how I do this: I use six pulverizers to convert the cobble from the Igneous Extruders into gravel (one Pulverizer), sand (two) and dust (three). These are automatically sifted using three Autonomous Activators, with the output being collected by a vacuum hopper and sent into a single chest. The non-metals are pulled out with two or three itemducts and fed into an ME Interface. Unfortunately, you need those three connections since one itemduct has only 9 sorting slots and using a blacklist would be even worse. The metal resources are drawn out by an autopackager which makes the metal gravel/sand/dust blocks, and everything but the metal dusts is automatically hammered using one Autonomous Activator fed stone hammers by a cyclic assembler line that makes them from cobble and wood, and the output from the hammering lands in the same chest to be packaged, so that you end up with only metal dusts. There are only 9 of those, so you can use two export buses to send them to your smeltery (I really recommend switching to a high oven as soon as possible). Alternatively use only one and do the platinum manually.

I have a schematic of my setup. If you're interested, I can post it.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I am a bit lost and need some help. I have a sweet setup with 3 sieves going to one smeltery. From there I have liquiducts pulling the stuff and making it into bars. I have barrels collecting all the other drops. I have this sorted with itemducts using the dense mode to force everything to my sorting barrels except the ores, dust etc which have no room.

Some help please :)
configured storage bus with ores will prioritize them into the attached inventory but overflowed ores will stay in the rest of the system unless pulled out and put back in

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
configured storage bus with ores will prioritize them into the attached inventory but overflowed ores will stay in the rest of the system unless pulled out and put back in
Thank you!
Edit: To the guy above, I am sorry but that sort of system was what I was trying to avoid with multiple pipes from one chest. The storage bus is the answer! Now my system looks mint!

Last edited: