Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Some posts ago I stated that a formatted storage bus reading a condenser should work fine as an item void over...I may have been wrong. As stated earlier, when hunting down my current source(s) of lag, I removed all ducts from my power plant/condenser area [replaced with ME components]. This included a storage bus [formatted with the 2 types of bloodwood logs] for log overflow reading the condenser. I noticed that the bloodwood tree was growing over itself [timed not to do that], so I investigated.

Power plant has logs coming into dedicated AE network. Network has 3 drives, one for each log type and one for planks. Drive priorities are 64, storage bus is 1. Each log is exported to a CA [logs to planks], and both of these CAs feed into a third CA [for slabs]. Slabs are imported into the newtork and exported to each genny. For whatever reason, the slab CA draws from a single plank CA [not both]. During the time it took me to do the changover, the primary plank CA ran dry. When I hooked up the storage bus to the condenser, there were no logs of one type stored on the network [every log of that type was in its CA]. As those type logs came in, they went either to the CA or to void.

I think this is due to how AE works and that the condenser isn't a network-connected block. It'll store something where that something already is [if there's room] before checking storage priorities. Strange interaction between the storage bus and the condenser? I'm letting the CA fill and some logs of that type accumulate on the drive before I add that log type to the overflow bus to see if this solves anything.

Also, you guys keep mentioning the High-Temp Furnace gen. Is this furnace preferable to the Furnace Gen? What I've read on them told me to stay away [inefficient].

Edit: insuring some of the item remains on the drive seems to have solved this issue.

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
You don't stay away from the high temp because it's inefficient, you stay away from it because it's bugged and will actually steal all your power after a while.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
You don't stay away from the high temp because it's inefficient, you stay away from it because it's bugged and will actually steal all your power after a while.
If you're talking about how it goes into the negatives, it doesn't consume power because it's not set up to be an RF consumer, and the conduits won't feed power into it, when that happens it only stops producing power

(However, how the only way I saw this achieved was through creative testing and in essence placing literally hundreds of thousands of equivalent coal units into it by blood magic)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019

I've thought of two way I could control the output. One, use regular item ducts and feed that charcoal in 1,2, or more at a time to maintain the output I want. (manually dump a bunch in then turn on the item ducts and try to maintain the level.

Two, place it behind its own REC, and use a comparator on the REC to dump in more charcoal when the level drops too far. There would be a bit of lag time involved in this, so I might need a double REC configuration, to use as a buffer, but it shouldn't be too hard to set up.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
That's a thought. I never did set up a bloodwood farm. I do have the energized/ecstatic bees going though with about 1100 unprocessed combs. They should be able to provide me with enough redstone.

Speaking of bees + butterflies...does enclosing them [glass dome or such] limit their tree-pollinating capabilities? Had an issue in 1.5 where butterfly population got a little out-of-hand.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of bees + butterflies...does enclosing them [glass dome or such] limit their tree-pollinating capabilities? Had an issue in 1.5 where butterfly population got a little out-of-hand.

Forestry trees will randomly spawn butterflies. So, if you keep them enclosed, the butterflies can't escape. But I don't think enclosing them limits the tree-pollination.[DOUBLEPOST=1408911304][/DOUBLEPOST]I've been wanting to get into forestry tree breeding, but a little leery of having butterflies everywhere.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Another little FYI: safari net launcher + active mysterious magnet + lag = eaten nets. Maybe I'll see them again when I relog?

Edit: magnet isn't the problem...just the lag

Last edited:

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry trees will randomly spawn butterflies. So, if you keep them enclosed, the butterflies can't escape. But I don't think enclosing them limits the tree-pollination.[DOUBLEPOST=1408911304][/DOUBLEPOST]I've been wanting to get into forestry tree breeding, but a little leery of having butterflies everywhere.
I know to keep vanilla trees outside the pollination zone [to prevent unwanted pollination & thereby hopefully prevent butterfly spawns. I remember how my problem started [letting tropicals run (unenclosed in a jungle) for combs]. And the end result was 1K butterflies that I couldn't remove. After restarting, I built an enclosure for all bee stuff but I think the butterflies were still getting out and/or I was still seeing pollination on trees well outside the zone.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Exporting items from one ME network to another [I need to learn to integrate better]: precision/fuzzy export bus or storage bus into a Tesseract? Format as needed OFC. Or storage bus reading a chest feeding into a tesseract if storage bus/tesseract interaction is questionable.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Exporting items from one ME network to another [I need to learn to integrate better]: precision/fuzzy export bus or storage bus into a Tesseract? Format as needed OFC. Or storage bus reading a chest feeding into a tesseract if storage bus/tesseract interaction is questionable.
Depends on what you're wanting to do, if you want ALL items of a particular type to go into the other network, go with an export
But if you want it to do an overflow type thing, go with a storage bus, either store a bit in the original network, and then have the overflow go into the other network

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on what you're wanting to do, if you want ALL items of a particular type to go into the other network, go with an export
But if you want it to do an overflow type thing, go with a storage bus, either store a bit in the original network, and then have the overflow go into the other network
Got an AE network collecting drops from various grinders. No drops will remain in 'collecting' network. Most will go to storage directly. Armors/weps will go to another network for processing then on to condenser.

Aside: what's a good water flow design for a witch water/wither skelly farm? Flood the back wall and make up the difference with conveyors?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Yahoo! No more scanning items for me. I find it tedious and I always forget when I'm making something new. Byproduct of the mana bean farm [Pech grinder] is knowledge fragments. Eating these gives primal aspect points!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Yahoo! No more scanning items for me. I find it tedious and I always forget when I'm making something new. Byproduct of the mana bean farm [Pech grinder] is knowledge fragments. Eating these gives primal aspect points!

and here I thought I was the only one who knew about the knowledge fragment trick ;)
btw, don't bother eating them if you're at 2144 aspects of each primal type, because you won't get any more aspects as 2144 is the max

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm wondering how people go about completing the following quests:

Cobble gen madness:
You need....43 million cobblestone for that. One Igneous Extruder generates about two cobblestone per second, which means if you set up 50 of them, this will still take 120 hours to complete and probably generate significant lag while it's running. I wonder if there's a better method...unfortunately I can't let this run unsupervised because of death by starvation.

Dirt collection:
I guess there's no way but to let my Ender Quarry run until it has mined the required 600k of something and replaced it with dirt and then collect them, but how? So far I'm thinking of going into the Nether with my bound shovel, a woven digger's backpack I got as a quest reward and a deep storage unit, and do things manually, since I don't have a auto-mining system that can do this without frequent intervention. I'm wondering, though, if dirt in the Nether is prone to Hellfish explosions. I've had an entity AI hanging bug that also prevented the world from being saved after three (or so) uses of the right-click effect on bound mining/digging tools, and hellfish explosions appeared to be a contributing factor. How are people doing this?

Magnetic personality:
I need....uh....2048 gold blocks and 4096 quartz blocks? Well, it's 1536 and 3072, respectively for me since I got two magnets as a quest reward, but still.....I guess I have to pull the genetic template for an Auric bee out of my gene archive and fill my industrial apiaries with production upgrades in addition to the two other sources. Also, reactivate my witch water factory since sieving soul sand is the most efficient source of nether quartz. nether quartz from mining is coming in at a disappointing rate. Anything else that can be done?
BTW, what are these magnets for?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I'm wondering how people go about completing the following quests:

Cobble gen madness:
You need....43 million cobblestone for that. One Igneous Extruder generates about two cobblestone per second, which means if you set up 50 of them, this will still take 120 hours to complete and probably generate significant lag while it's running. I wonder if there's a better method...unfortunately I can't let this run unsupervised because of death by starvation.

Dirt collection:
I guess there's no way but to let my Ender Quarry run until it has mined the required 600k of something and replaced it with dirt and then collect them, but how? So far I'm thinking of going into the Nether with my bound shovel, a woven digger's backpack I got as a quest reward and a deep storage unit, and do thing manually, since I don't have a auto-mining system that can do this without frequent intervention. I'm wondering, though, if dirt in the Nether is prone to Hellfish explosions. I've had an entity AI hanging bug that also prevented the world from being saved after three (or so) uses of the right-click effect on bound mining/digging tools, and hellfish explosions appeared to be a contributing factor. How are people doing this?

Magnetic personality:
I need....uh....2048 gold blocks and 4096 quartz blocks? Well, it's 1536 and 3072, respectively for me since I got two magnets as a quest reward, but still.....I guess I have to pull the genetic template for an Auric bee out of my gene archive and fill my industrial apiaries with production upgrades in addition to the two other sources. Also, reactivate my witch water factory since sieving soul sand is the most efficient source of nether quartz. nether quartz from mining is coming in at a disappointing rate. Anything else that can be done?
BTW, what are these magnets for?
Set up your cobble gen big, a quest afterwards needs four octuple cobble
Manually collecting dirt produced by the ender quarry is by far the fastest way, the other is set up arrays of barrels and compost a lot of things
not sure about the magnetic personality one..

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Depends. If you just want to move your items once, use an IO port (assuming you have one, which you should). That's easily the fastest method. If it's automated and conditional, use an export bus controlled by a level emitter. Haven't tried putting a storage bus on a Tesseract. That sounds weird...

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Set up your cobble gen big, a quest afterwards needs four octuple cobble
You aren't serious, are you? I may forego those particular bragging rights... I have plans for some building after the quests that need my attention are done, but I don't know if I'll stay in this world quite as long. Even less so if the cobblegen setup causes lag.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
You aren't serious, are you? I may forego those particular bragging rights... I have plans for some building after the quests that need my attention are done, but I don't know if I'll stay in this world quite as long. Even less so if the cobblegen setup causes lag.
No trolling here, you need a lot of cobble
I found out after trickling in that quest over a matter of months (we stick on a server for a long time)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
No trolling here, you need a lot of cobble
I found out after trickling in that quest over a matter of months (we stick on a server for a long time)
LOL. "You need a lot of cobble" is the understatement of the year. I guess that one is more for players on servers that continue to run while you're away. I mean yeah, I like this game, but 500 hours even with a setup that counts as "excessive"? It's not the only thing I do in my life.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
May I mention that I have a persistent bug in form of a CTD when I try to access page 7 of the Ex Nihilo Sieve recipe list? Unfortunately, this is the page you must access for how to get the Amaranth sapling you need for the Purple Madness quest, and trying to get the Amaranth sapling's recipe with NEI results in the same crash. This is 100% reproduceable on my PC, on the "recommended" version of Agrarian Skies (I guess this is 3.1.2?).
(I know how to get the sapling from a video, but I thought it should be possible to get that information with no external sources, so I checked)