Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why people are saying bees were so tedious with "just" Extra Bees... I thought bees got uninteresting when I got Extra Bees set up, with my process as follows:

Throw two bees into alveary with mutators (100% chance of purebred).
Inoculate "No Effect", "Maximum Fertility" or "No Flowers" as necessary.
Let breed for a generation or two, then isolate into serums until you get the species serum.
Inoculate species serum onto bee with perfect traits.

With some oblivion frames (or something similar), this process is almost instantaneous...

I always felt that the breeding mechanics (which aren't that hard if you remember Mendelian genetics from 7th-8th grade) was the balancing factor for bees, which are kind of OP when breeding is "free". At least Extra Bees required some normal breeding (for serums) in order to get to the easy part.

Also (but this is just my personal opinion, and besides the discussion), I think Gendustry seems wierd... Something about "Industrial Apiaries" just seems appaling to me, but that's more of a flavour question than anything else... I always enjoyed the organic feel of bees, and I suppose I will stick to regular apiaries and alvearies instead of sticking them inside a powered machine.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Also (but this is just my personal opinion, and besides the discussion), I think Gendustry seems wierd... Something about "Industrial Apiaries" just seems appaling to me.
You mean like the slaughterhouse, that gives liquid meat? :D

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Also, remember that there is a recipe that turns wither skulls/soul sand/diamond sword/bow, into a nether star... Such that you don't actually have to fight one, at the cost of two extra diamonds and some wood/string.

peaceful mode recipe. not accessible unless you are a wuss.

You mean like the slaughterhouse, that gives liquid meat? :D

I do actually normally exclude MFR from my personal modpack as I find liquid meat, "mob essence" etc. indefensible rubbish, and not at all what I expected in a mod called "Mine Factory Reloaded" - which really sounds like it should add automation of vanilla mechanics.

Last edited:

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, once again, bee breeding is a matter of experience and strategy. If you want to get started with bees, you'll just have to dive in and start identifying all the things you don't know. There are a lot of resources for your to find information, such that you really need to know what you don't know, before you can being to filter through the mass of data.

That being said, the best way to start off with bees, is an exercise in getting imperial/industrious.

(1) Acquire as many meadows/forest bees you can. In AS queens have a chance of producing extra princesses, so this isn't as imperative. Though, consider that mutations is a probability, so if you have multiple pairs of bees breeding, you have a higher chance of getting the mutation.

(2) Breed them ALL to common, with the exception of ONE pair of meadows and ONE pair of forest. The exception pairs you will want to breed so you get STACKING drones. Developing the memory/strategy to mutate multiple meadows/forest bees into common is a very important skill, which will carry through to all your bee activities. Mixing and matching drones and princess of opposite type, means a system of keeping all the extra drones and a system of organization will need to be developed. Once again, very important skill.

(a) EXCEPTION PAIRS FOR STACKING DRONES, means breeding a pair of bees of the same type, so they have no chance of changing into another type. This is also known as stabilizing the species, as you will have an "unlimited" supply of drones of that bee type, to breed with other bees without risking losing that species.

(b) NON-EXCEPTION PAIRS FOR MUTATIONS, means breeding a pair of bees of different type, so they might mutate.

(3) Once you have the non-exceptions converted, keeping one pair of common to get STACKING drones, begin to breed you EXTRA meadows/forest drones with your common princesses, except for the one common princess you are keeping to make stacking drones. If the result of these is that you get a meadows/forest princess, breed it with your common drones. The goal of this is to get cultivated bees.

(4) Once again, keeping one pair of cultivated to get STACKING drones, breed CULTIVATED with COMMON. You will have a chance to get either noble or diligent (or unweary?) bees, representing the imperial/industrious branches respectively.

(5) From here, once again... It is a matter of achieving the mutation, then sustaining it to get stacking drones and then using the extras to get further mutations. Now you have to deal with two possibilities, instead of a single mutation path... So, hopefully you have developed some strategy, so you don't get confused.

Last edited:

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why people are saying bees were so tedious with "just" Extra Bees... I thought bees got uninteresting when I got Extra Bees set up, with my process as follows:

Throw two bees into alveary with mutators (100% chance of purebred).
Inoculate "No Effect", "Maximum Fertility" or "No Flowers" as necessary.
Let breed for a generation or two, then isolate into serums until you get the species serum.
Inoculate species serum onto bee with perfect traits.

With some oblivion frames (or something similar), this process is almost instantaneous...

I always felt that the breeding mechanics (which aren't that hard if you remember Mendelian genetics from 7th-8th grade) was the balancing factor for bees, which are kind of OP when breeding is "free". At least Extra Bees required some normal breeding (for serums) in order to get to the easy part.

Also (but this is just my personal opinion, and besides the discussion), I think Gendustry seems wierd... Something about "Industrial Apiaries" just seems appaling to me, but that's more of a flavour question than anything else... I always enjoyed the organic feel of bees, and I suppose I will stick to regular apiaries and alvearies instead of sticking them inside a powered machine.

Well, do as you like, but speaking strictly for myself, I simply can't be bothered to go through the hassle of bees in yet another world without something like Gendustry to make it less of a time sink. Extra Bees made it just barely worth it in my last (pre AS) world, but from what I understand it's not going to be ported to 1.7, so there's that.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Forestry has going for it any more is bees, and without something like Gendustry to make it less of a grind, there's no reason to have it in a modpack anymore.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, do as you like, but speaking strictly for myself, I simply can't be bothered to go through the hassle of bees in yet another world without something like Gendustry to make it less of a time sink. Extra Bees made it just barely worth it in my last (pre AS) world, but from what I understand it's not going to be ported to 1.7, so there's that.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Forestry has going for it any more is bees, and without something like Gendustry to make it less of a grind, there's no reason to have it in a modpack anymore.
Yeah, I agree with this. If you've gone through the grind once and understand what breeding is about, it's not really worth your time to grind it out again and again. Gendustry isn't easy to use for noobie bee users, so it's not like it's an entry level mod which supersedes Sengir's bee system. Rather it is a way for more adept breeders, to skip all the time waste.

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019

I had not heard that Extra Bees wasn't being continued. Knowing that, I totally see the need for Gendustry, as I do agree with people that doing the same thing in world after world is very much a grind (that was the reason I ever meddled with Extra Bees in the first place).

Having that said, I think it does too much. What really does the industrial apiary bring to the table that a new alveary block couldn't? There were allready mutators as part of alvearies, so why do we need a machine that does exactly the same thing? I do like trait imprinting, however, and I certainly agree there needs to be some option of speeding up the process for the people who have done it over and over in countless worlds (but again, mutators are allready in...).

I have considered making a mod myself, that only does bees (or something similar). In my opinion, Forestry does too many different things and with the, as you put it, "only thing going for it" requiring 2-3 addons to be of any use at all to people (EB/Gen, MB...), I think it would be better to have a cleaner mod, doing only one thing, and bringing the whole package.

Perhaps this isn't the place to discuss the ifs and buts of a new mod, though. If anyone would like to weigh in with opinions, ideas or "DONT DO IT YOURE COPYING FORESTRY AND YOURE A FRAUD", do it in a PM...

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
I had not heard that Extra Bees wasn't being continued. Knowing that, I totally see the need for Gendustry, as I do agree with people that doing the same thing in world after world is very much a grind (that was the reason I ever meddled with Extra Bees in the first place).

Having that said, I think it does too much. What really does the industrial apiary bring to the table that a new alveary block couldn't? There were allready mutators as part of alvearies, so why do we need a machine that does exactly the same thing? I do like trait imprinting, however, and I certainly agree there needs to be some option of speeding up the process for the people who have done it over and over in countless worlds (but again, mutators are allready in...).

I have considered making a mod myself, that only does bees (or something similar). In my opinion, Forestry does too many different things and with the, as you put it, "only thing going for it" requiring 2-3 addons to be of any use at all to people (EB/Gen, MB...), I think it would be better to have a cleaner mod, doing only one thing, and bringing the whole package.

Perhaps this isn't the place to discuss the ifs and buts of a new mod, though. If anyone would like to weigh in with opinions, ideas or "DONT DO IT YOURE COPYING FORESTRY AND YOURE A FRAUD", do it in a PM...
i thought forestry as a whole wasn't coming to 1.7

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
somewhere (maybe even this thread) it was suggested to make a sort of breeding api, that could be a nice start :)

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to explore Mariculture for a while, even if there is no quest that I know of that deals with it:
After enchanting my Fishing Rod (Reed) I got the enchantment "Luck of the Irish I" but I have absolutely no idea what it is supposed to do. Found nothing on any wiki and google shows me tons of stuff that aren't remotely connected to Minecraft/Mariculture. Any ideas what this enchantment is supposed to do?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I wanted to explore Mariculture for a while, even if there is no quest that I know of that deals with it:
After enchanting my Fishing Rod (Reed) I got the enchantment "Luck of the Irish I" but I have absolutely no idea what it is supposed to do. Found nothing on any wiki and google shows me tons of stuff that aren't remotely connected to Minecraft/Mariculture. Any ideas what this enchantment is supposed to do?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=luck of the irish

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, once again, bee breeding is a matter of experience and strategy. If you want to get started with bees, you'll just have to dive in and start identifying all the things you don't know. There are a lot of resources for your to find information, such that you really need to know what you don't know, before you can being to filter through the mass of data.

That being said, the best way to start off with bees, is an exercise in getting imperial/industrious.

(1) Acquire as many meadows/forest bees you can. In AS queens have a chance of producing extra princesses, so this isn't as imperative. Though, consider that mutations is a probability, so if you have multiple pairs of bees breeding, you have a higher chance of getting the mutation.

(2) Breed them ALL to common, with the exception of ONE pair of meadows and ONE pair of forest. The exception pairs you will want to breed so you get STACKING drones. Developing the memory/strategy to mutate multiple meadows/forest bees into common is a very important skill, which will carry through to all your bee activities. Mixing and matching drones and princess of opposite type, means a system of keeping all the extra drones and a system of organization will need to be developed. Once again, very important skill.

(a) EXCEPTION PAIRS FOR STACKING DRONES, means breeding a pair of bees of the same type, so they have no chance of changing into another type. This is also known as stabilizing the species, as you will have an "unlimited" supply of drones of that bee type, to breed with other bees without risking losing that species.

(b) NON-EXCEPTION PAIRS FOR MUTATIONS, means breeding a pair of bees of different type, so they might mutate.

(3) Once you have the non-exceptions converted, keeping one pair of common to get STACKING drones, begin to breed you EXTRA meadows/forest drones with your common princesses, except for the one common princess you are keeping to make stacking drones. If the result of these is that you get a meadows/forest princess, breed it with your common drones. The goal of this is to get cultivated bees.

(4) Once again, keeping one pair of cultivated to get STACKING drones, breed CULTIVATED with COMMON. You will have a chance to get either noble or diligent (or unweary?) bees, representing the imperial/industrious branches respectively.

(5) From here, once again... It is a matter of achieving the mutation, then sustaining it to get stacking drones and then using the extras to get further mutations. Now you have to deal with two possibilities, instead of a single mutation path... So, hopefully you have developed some strategy, so you don't get confused.

Fixed for spelling.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
how do get this liquid slime to spawn a blue slime ?
I found that just putting the bucket in an autonomous inside my mobfarm worked, it keeps pouring and sucking up the slime and they seemed to spawn pretty well. The autonomous is a bit derpy with it though, places it in all kinds of strange places, sometime 2-3 blocks away, still picks it back up though.

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019

Well, that was enlightening but utterly useless in telling me what happens if I use that enchanted rod.

Your google skills are lacking :)

• New Enchantment 'Luck of the Irish', Goes on Mirrors and Fishing Rods, gives bonus to enchantibility, or better catch rates
I found that thread too, but all I learned from it was from Mariculture. I wasn't able to find the changelog with the information you told me the first time I saw that... but now I got it. Still, going through every tab labeled changelog appaers to be very cumbersome. Still, thanks for the answer pderuiter

P.S.: Technically it not my Google skills that weren't up to par^^

jepstein30

Jul 29, 2019
when I look in my beealyzer, it says Behavior: normal

isn't it supposed to be on behavior: agskies or something?