Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I've bred bees plenty of times with vanilla Forestry and with Extra Bees machines. It was really interesting the first time, but after that it just became a huge time sink, even with Extra Bees, and I have zero desire to ever do it again. I think, for a lot of us, the convenience of Gendustry (which comes at a cost in energy and materials) is the only way we'll ever bother screwing with the flying pests.
If you find it to 'OP', feel free to not use it, but don't expect a warm reaction to trying to nerf Gendustry for the rest of us.

You're right. I know that I pointed out ages ago to someone else complaining about something being OP or something that they didn't have to use it. I should have thought of that as well.

Given the huge number of bees that are available in general, having something like Gendustry does actually make it possible to breed bees without huge time sinks or the hassle of trying to find the right biome etc.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
That said, Gendustry is just OP.

Or perhaps Gendustry is how it should be and other bee mods are just UP. Only thing I'd tweak is to perhaps add another resource cost to the Advanced Mutatron. Maybe feed it 3-5 diamonds per mutation instead of a chance at losing some labware or on top of the labware cost.

What it does do right is remove most of the roulette. When you have people writing pages of LUA just to brute force the RNG with Forestry bees you know something is up.

If I were to try to change it I think what I'd start with is a way to randomize it per playthrough. There's no point in mutation chance when NEI tells you what you're going to get. There isn't any discovery. It just becomes a grind the 2nd, 3rd, etc. time through when you work your way up the bee tree. I know I need cultivated, industrious, and imperial to get my Alvearies made. Just a matter of throwing the dice until it gives me those mutations. This is where Gendustry really shines. Those of us who already know what we want out of bees can get there without sitting around twiddling our thumbs.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
What it does do right is remove most of the roulette. When you have people writing pages of LUA just to brute force the RNG with Forestry bees you know something is up.

I never thought of it that way but I guess all we (me and everyone else that wrote a bee breeding set of scripts) just made a really hacky bruteforcing script.

Reasons I like Gendustry:

1. No multiple real life day time investment for the absolute best bee's.

2. No updating and making changes to a set of Lua scripts for every update that breaks it.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
This.
The ocelots have overrun my island. I've killed all of them several times using Opis and they won't go away. Even my friend who is a lover of the things is fed up with them.

Move. Seriously you will have to half slab everything.

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
As a cosmetic choice after the loss of my 1st world, this time I went single island.

2014-05-15_203715.png

so not really an option.
...my island doesn't look even 1/1000 as nice as yours.
xgmeyg.png

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe yeah is an option, any problems with too many Pechs that way though, the thieving little buggers, I can just imagine them going apeshit at a sieve.

Pechs use hostile mob spawn rules. i.e. they won't spawn in well lit areas. If your forest is spawning creepers and zombies I imagine you have other problems.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Oh good. Thanks.

*boggles* arg... the entire "spells" part of blood magic, on the wiki, was oblitereated with a redirrect to ars magica.
try this :)

Pechs use hostile mob spawn rules. i.e. they won't spawn in well lit areas. If your forest is spawning creepers and zombies I imagine you have other problems.

Ah didn't realise they were classed as hostile, good to know. But I spent most of yesterday making my Blood Altar tier 5, and todays project is the Ritual of Gaias Transformation, soon my ocelot problems will be over, I hope.... XD

Edit-gawd Blood Magic is just awesome, this was my 1st try, with no items in the plinths, produced an ocean biome, which is nice. Made 2 more after with coal in the plinths for plains biomes so I guess it's time to generate silly amounts of LP to continue on, 3m LP used in something like 20mins.

2014-05-16_142254.png

...my island doesn't look even 1/1000 as nice as yours.

Aw, well I put a lot of time and effort into planning mine out, but believe me, mine looked unbelievably bad till I got the top layer on also.

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Does the Magnetic Personality Quest only accept level 8 mysterious magnets? That's a lot of end stone and diamonds (2.1.2)...
Just as a side note on this quest lack of Gold is what is slowing me down, not end stone or diamonds. Switched my laser drills over to yellow foci, hopefully that speeds up gold prod a bit.

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a side note on this quest lack of Gold is what is slowing me down, not end stone or diamonds. Switched my laser drills over to yellow foci, hopefully that speeds up gold prod a bit.
Same. Thought I had plenty of gold, but I didn't have 18k plenty :p Just one more stack of Lvl 0 magnets to make!

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words shall never hurt me.
Then you being clobbered by the massive Oxford Thesaurus book would not hurt *WHACK* Sorry. Could not resist.

Gold is not really a problem as you can make an automated gold farm in the nether as there is a massive lava lake not far from the nether portal where you can limit the mob spawning. Just feed them to the MFR grinder using conveyor belts. For me, it's the quartz that I need but that is being worked on.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
/FrownyFace
Wish I could trade some of my endless stacks of Ardite and Cobot for some gold, lol.

perhaps a total stab in the dark, but gold transmutation + automated alchemy? no clue if ardite or cobalt can be used.

-edit. Meh, neither have metallum, what a gyp.