Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is a common problem in the pack. How to get to your islands, if you do Islands. Me, I just discovered the warp book. I also discovered that you shouldn't put a warp book into a binder... that kinda breaks things... Issue now is, do I continue using it, or do I pay up the cost of making drawbridges?

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
I used to have a horrid ocelot problem. Then I planted a silverwood forest and the problem magically went away.

Edit: saw in a later post that you already considered this. Oops.

Hehe yeah is an option, any problems with too many Pechs that way though, the thieving little buggers, I can just imagine them going apeshit at a sieve.

I know this is a common problem in the pack. How to get to your islands, if you do Islands. Me, I just discovered the warp book. I also discovered that you shouldn't put a warp book into a binder... that kinda breaks things... Issue now is, do I continue using it, or do I pay up the cost of making drawbridges?

Warp books seem fine out of the binder, I used one for jumping to aura nodes before I could move them and they were really reliable. Bridges are nice as you can add cosmetics, but it's all personal choice, nothing wrong with building bridges and using the warp book anyway, they will always be there if you lose the warp book.

Last edited:

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing some serious bee work, and while I really like the fact that Gendustry makes it all a heap easier (I never really progressed too far with bees in the past because the RNG just got too annoying when trying to breed).

That said, Gendustry is just OP. If you want a bee breed, you can basically get your hands on the relevant Princess and Drone, chuck them in the Mutatron, and bingo, better bee breed. So these are just my thoughts about how things could be improved to make it a fairer game.

First of all, have a couple of tiers of Mutagen, the raw Mutagen will only give a 40%-50% chance of getting a new breed of bee, but you can purify it up to 3 times which will give you a 90% chance of a better bee breed. Purification takes a metric ton of power and time and will also reduce the amount of Mutagen, maybe something like 25% reduction. By taking time and power would mean that it makes it less of an option for early game as it takes time to be able to produce, and the power requirements require a good power generation system. By having a cap on the chance of getting a better bee, then your not likely to just blindly chuck your only princess and drone in there as there is always a risk that they'll end up as a cross breed.

Maybe another option is for the process to fail (maybe again dependant on the quality of Mutagen), so that it just fails and you get nothing back.

As I said, this makes bees a much easier option, but right now, the hardest thing with bees is draw up the list of breeds that I need to work my way through, or because of my preference on working with bees, is to wait for a new Princess to be bred.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Thus, Islands.

As a cosmetic choice after the loss of my 1st world, this time I went single island.

2014-05-15_203715.png

so not really an option.

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
As a cosmetic choice after the loss of my 1st world, this time I went single island.

2014-05-15_203715.png

so not really an option.

Also Jealous of said Island.

What I meant, though, was make a flight potion (Not that I know how, yay reward bags.), an angel block, and some spare dirt/grass.

Fly around till you hit magic forest, toss down the angel block, and start building up a small seperate island. No more Pechs eating your ores.

Please tell me how you made the lake. I'm extremely jealous.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Well you should see my junkyard of a floating Island. . .

Everything looks terrible to begin with, I roughed out the contours in cobble and it was just an eyesore for the longest time until I generated the dirt and the motivation to fill it out.

Also Jealous of said Island.

What I meant, though, was make a flight potion (Not that I know how, yay reward bags.), an angel block, and some spare dirt/grass.

Fly around till you hit magic forest, toss down the angel block, and start building up a small seperate island. No more Pechs eating your ores.

Please tell me how you made the lake. I'm extremely jealous.

Ah, was more concerned with changing the current jungle to magical, which would perhaps cause Pech problems, I've decided to go the blood magic route and change the biome that way.

The lake actually I started by dropping down to y59 or 60(I wanted my island at y64 and the lake to spawn squid) and mapped out the entire swamp biome as the bottom contour so I didn't have to look at too much of that ugly dark grass and leaves, then just roughed out the banks in cobble and topped it all with a layer of sand, then just 2 buckets to fill from the bottom up, pretty happy with that one I must admit, altho it needs lilypads, how do we get those?

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
Everything looks terrible to begin with, I roughed out the contours in cobble and it was just an eyesore for the longest time until I generated the dirt and the motivation to fill it out.

Ah, was more concerned with changing the current jungle to magical, which would perhaps cause Pech problems, I've decided to go the blood magic route and change the biome that way.

The lake actually I started by dropping down to y59 or 60(I wanted my island at y64 and the lake to spawn squid) and mapped out the entire swamp biome as the bottom contour so I didn't have to look at too much of that ugly dark grass and leaves, then just roughed out the banks in cobble and topped it all with a layer of sand, then just 2 buckets to fill from the bottom up, pretty happy with that one I must admit, altho it needs lilypads, how do we get those?
Last I heard it was by crooking dirt that's under water... ALOT! I got two lilypads out of two bone crooks.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Last I heard it was by crooking dirt that's under water... ALOT! I got two lilypads out of two bone crooks.
ouch sounds painful, now where did i put that block placer :p thanks! :)

Another question if anyone knows, is the talisman? amulet? thingy? of remedium in this pack, i can't seem to find the research.. -edit derp, thats thaumic tinkerer nvm *facepalm*

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing some serious bee work, and while I really like the fact that Gendustry makes it all a heap easier (I never really progressed too far with bees in the past because the RNG just got too annoying when trying to breed).

That said, Gendustry is just OP. If you want a bee breed, you can basically get your hands on the relevant Princess and Drone, chuck them in the Mutatron, and bingo, better bee breed. So these are just my thoughts about how things could be improved to make it a fairer game.

First of all, have a couple of tiers of Mutagen, the raw Mutagen will only give a 40%-50% chance of getting a new breed of bee, but you can purify it up to 3 times which will give you a 90% chance of a better bee breed. Purification takes a metric ton of power and time and will also reduce the amount of Mutagen, maybe something like 25% reduction. By taking time and power would mean that it makes it less of an option for early game as it takes time to be able to produce, and the power requirements require a good power generation system. By having a cap on the chance of getting a better bee, then your not likely to just blindly chuck your only princess and drone in there as there is always a risk that they'll end up as a cross breed.

Maybe another option is for the process to fail (maybe again dependant on the quality of Mutagen), so that it just fails and you get nothing back.

As I said, this makes bees a much easier option, but right now, the hardest thing with bees is draw up the list of breeds that I need to work my way through, or because of my preference on working with bees, is to wait for a new Princess to be bred.
Or you could just use the original breeding mechanics instead of Gendustry instead of trying to make Gendustry as random as the original breeding mechanics.

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
ouch sounds painful, now where did i put that block placer :p thanks! :)

Another question if anyone knows, is the talisman? amulet? thingy? of remedium in this pack, i can't seem to find the research.. -edit derp, thats thaumic tinkerer nvm *facepalm*
You rightclick the dirt with the crook. You're looking at a Autonomous Activator.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
it's easier to fish with mariculture rods

ah another option, thanks, ill try to automate that crooking though, fishing just doesn't float my boat, but if needs must.

Withers: terrible at cloud farming.

2014-05-15_213652.png

You rightclick the dirt with the crook. You're looking at a Autonomous Activator.
still need something for it to break though, hence the block placer, ah i see i totally misunderstood that, u gotta hit the water above the dirt.

Last edited:

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

That sounds pretty close to the balance that was with extra bees machines and soul frames

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019

I've bred bees plenty of times with vanilla Forestry and with Extra Bees machines. It was really interesting the first time, but after that it just became a huge time sink, even with Extra Bees, and I have zero desire to ever do it again. I think, for a lot of us, the convenience of Gendustry (which comes at a cost in energy and materials) is the only way we'll ever bother screwing with the flying pests.
If you find it to 'OP', feel free to not use it, but don't expect a warm reaction to trying to nerf Gendustry for the rest of us.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
I've bred bees plenty of times with vanilla Forestry and with Extra Bees machines. It was really interesting the first time, but after that it just became a huge time sink, even with Extra Bees, and I have zero desire to ever do it again. I think, for a lot of us, the convenience of Gendustry (which comes at a cost in energy and materials) is the only way we'll ever bother screwing with the flying pests.
If you find it to 'OP', feel free to not use it, but don't expect a warm reaction to trying to nerf Gendustry for the rest of us.

I'd like to add to this, I've never wanted to play with the "flying pests"(lol) until Gendustry came along, that time sink has probably put off many players the same way, by giving us options Jaded is actually making bees more popular.

If I'm not mistaken this version of Forestry has unique configs especially for this pack, Jaded has put a ton of work into making this pack balanced and yet accessible to players who are beginners to certain mods while still allowing the pros at those same mods play it any way they feel like.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I'd like to add to this, I've never wanted to play with the "flying pests"(lol) until Gendustry came along, that time sink has probably put off many players the same way, by giving us options Jaded is actually making bees more popular.

If I'm not mistaken this version of Forestry has unique configs especially for this pack, Jaded has put a ton of work into making this pack balanced and yet accessible to players who are beginners to certain mods while still allowing the pros at those same mods play it any way they feel like.
it's a special version of forestry and only for this pack though