Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
1. To a much earlier thread re using ME to store millions of items: DSUs feel cheaty to me. Infinite storage in a single block at such low cost? And they annoy me because they don't display what they contain, a trick the low capacity barrel mods all seem to pull off.

2. wrt recharging wands - in addition to an MFR mob grinder, I have a standard skeleton/zombie/creeper spawner with 20m drop - that I use to get xp, and incidentally, charge my wands - creepers do drop ignis orbs (in small quantities) so a full charge of all aspects is possible.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
In either desperation, or insanity, I'm trying to fish up an ink sack, and actually progressing mariculture.
Once I do that, I can actually make research notes and properly unlock research, so until then I've stopped scanning, best to be safe you know.
If I don't get anywhere this way, I'll just give up a while and make a milker and a squid egg, and milk a captive squid to get my ink.
I know, I shouldn't worry about things feeling wrong, but spending energy *makes a face*

Well you could always build a squid spawning pool, anywhere between y42 and 63 squiddies will spawn in water.

And as a side comment, 23 blocks is the magic drop height for 1 shotting mobs with a bare fist, apart from zombies, which are always 2 punch.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
In either desperation, or insanity, I'm trying to fish up an ink sack, and actually progressing mariculture.
Once I do that, I can actually make research notes and properly unlock research, so until then I've stopped scanning, best to be safe you know.
If I don't get anywhere this way, I'll just give up a while and make a milker and a squid egg, and milk a captive squid to get my ink.
I know, I shouldn't worry about things feeling wrong, but spending energy *makes a face*
The Mariculture squid produces ink sacs.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
So...I've been working on the quest that requires certus combs, and geez...getting to them is taking forever. I've gotten the mellow combs, the redstone combs, and tons of other combs, but even with gendustry just breeding up the bees to make the certus combs takes forever (admittedly, it would have been faster if I spammed lifespan upgrades.) I've spent oh....6 or 7 hours working on it, including the time it takes for the bees to die off, and I'm just at the point I can make the basic certus bees...though once I have them it will be trivial to make the advanced certus bees. Still need to make the trees, but I've got enough pollen that it could be relatively trivial to make them, then I'll just have to farm them for saplings.

1. To a much earlier thread re using ME to store millions of items: DSUs feel cheaty to me. Infinite storage in a single block at such low cost? And they annoy me because they don't display what they contain, a trick the low capacity barrel mods all seem to pull off.
I suppose DSUs are relatively cheap (though when not playing AS I always seem to lack ender pearls.) It's just the cost of the 16M cell is so extreme....hundreds of diamonds, something like 18k redstone, tons of gold, certus, etc. Block storage is plenty for anything you'd need much of, with the possible exception of if you want to make octuple compressed cobble or the like all in one shot. As to the display issue...storage bus on to ME system. My DSUs aren't even someplace I can regularly see them unless I'm messing with wiring.

2. wrt recharging wands - in addition to an MFR mob grinder, I have a standard skeleton/zombie/creeper spawner with 20m drop - that I use to get xp, and incidentally, charge my wands - creepers do drop ignis orbs (in small quantities) so a full charge of all aspects is possible.
Personally, I've got the landing pad of my mob trap set up to push all the mobs to the wall opposite my grinders, so if I want to kill mobs for xp/heads/blood shards/wand recharging, I just turn off my grinders, let the mobs build up, and start stabbing.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Seriously? It takes about 5 minutes to make a chest full of ink sacks using a MFR Rancher.
Just do it.

If you make a nice glass fish tank and put some pearls and sand in the bottom, it looks quite attractive.

So, if the aspect you need happens to be made out of 2 of a primal, you'll have to dissemble to get it, as you'll never get it from ghost points.

Ghost points can generate for ALL aspects. Bookshelves are key.

Last edited:

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously? It takes about 5 minutes to make a chest full of ink sacks using a MFR Rancher.
Just do it.

If you make a nice glass fish tank and put some pearls and sand in the bottom, it looks quite attractive.

yeah there are a few easy ways to make ink sacs, really not a problem, I have a big lake on my map and they spawn there constantly, I actually had to remove the pearl oysters from the bottom of the lake as my magnetism on my armor was annoyingly grabbing squid drops whenever i went near.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well you could always build a squid spawning pool, anywhere between y42 and 63 squiddies will spawn in water.

And as a side comment, 23 blocks is the magic drop height for 1 shotting mobs with a bare fist, apart from zombies, which are always 2 punch.

Should be 22 actually. 3 are free, 1 damage(half-heart) per block fallen after that. Regardless some mobs seems to manage to die regardless just less will die from the fall on a 22 block drop.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Should be 22 actually. 3 are free, 1 damage(half-heart) per block fallen after that. Regardless some mobs seems to manage to die regardless just less will die from the fall on a 22 block drop.

I understand that math, but it doesn't seem to quite work like that, the problem is that most mobfarms push mobs with water or conveyors causing them to be a tiny bit higher or to jump, set a ledge for a mobs to stand on and be pushed off by the mob behind and 23 blocks works perfectly.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
haha amusingly decided to test the drop, see if anything has changed, 22 or 23, makes no difference whatsoever, still 1/2 a heart on all the mobs i dropped from both. theres something fishy about those 3 "free" blocks.

so 22 is probably better, allows for the mobs to jump around a bit.[DOUBLEPOST=1399964340][/DOUBLEPOST]
If I don't fish now, before I can automate it (though I can already, vacuum hopper and fish nets) then I never will.

He meant, make a squid spawn egg, jailer safari net or name it, and dump it in the pool to be ranched.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If I don't fish now, before I can automate it (though I can already, vacuum hopper and fish nets) then I never will.

I call that: result. For me, the goal is to finish this skyblock with a 5 casts I used to fish up the raw fish required for the fishing quest in learning to skyblock. (I spent a good number of years playing Wow: Ive done *all* the fishing sim I have the patience for).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
you don't even need ancient spores once you have the sludge boiler

not completely true... if you haven't been lucky and haven't gotten the mob spawn eggs as a reward, you can use ancient spores to turn cows into mooshrooms.
the mystery safari net can also produce mooshrooms, but it's alot of RNG and can be quite dangerous

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
I call that: result. For me, the goal is to finish this skyblock with a 5 casts I used to fish up the raw fish required for the fishing quest in learning to skyblock. (I spent a good number of years playing Wow: Ive done *all* the fishing sim I have the patience for).

Haha agreed, I set up a fisher with 2 survivalist gens pretty early on to get my fix of fish n chips.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I made a squid drowning platform below my platform for ink sacks, not that I needed too much. But I had some barrels set up to store them and the raw squid, expecting to use the squid for the fish sandwich quest.

Then I find out that raw squid aren't considered a fish. Raw calamari is :p Calamari being the Mariculture version, not the mob version.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
not completely true... if you haven't been lucky and haven't gotten the mob spawn eggs as a reward, you can use ancient spores to turn cows into mooshrooms.
the mystery safari net can also produce mooshrooms, but it's alot of RNG and can be quite dangerous

Mystery nets are fun though, although I advise making some empty safari nets to grab anything dangerous that pops out before it ruins your day and a nice cobble room far from your main base just in case anything explosive appears(bats with tnt or ghasts for example). Anything particularly nasty can be trashed or dumped into the void that way. So far the only one that's slightly caught me out was a creeper riding a cave spider, could only grab the creeper so got a bit poisoned. Bound armor helps too :p

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
For the 1 person or so who is wondering what my problem from before was: If I hadn't moved my secondary output itemducts forward, the gravel-to-sand pulverizers would have had no way to receive power. Now, however, my gravel-to-sand pulverizers can be powered from below and the sand-to-dust pulverizers from above (with itemducts taking secondary ouput from the gravel-to-sand pulverizers straight to the autonomous activators).

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
or you find a schroom biome and make some grass/mycillium there

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that math, but it doesn't seem to quite work like that, the problem is that most mobfarms push mobs with water or conveyors causing them to be a tiny bit higher or to jump, set a ledge for a mobs to stand on and be pushed off by the mob behind and 23 blocks works perfectly.

With a height of 23 they should die and if water/conveyer push them even higher they should take even more damage. I have 22 height and most mobs have a half heart left, except most spiders die (some survive because they slow down on the walls) and of course enderman.

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
With a height of 23 they should die and if water/conveyer push them even higher they should take even more damage. I have 22 height and most mobs have a half heart left, except most spiders die (some survive because they slow down on the walls) and of course enderman.

I created a new world and actually tested this, I've been using a 23 block drop for a long time, and it works, there is no difference in damage between 22 and 23 blocks. I dropped skellies and zombies from both heights and they all had 1/2 a heart left.

There is definetely something odd about those 3 free blocks, but as i stated earlier, 22 blocks is safer as it lets the mobs jump.

Spiders have lower health, they take like 16 blocks only to make 1 hit.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
I created a new world and actually tested this, I've been using a 23 block drop for a long time, and it works, there is no difference in damage between 22 and 23 blocks, there is definetely something odd about those 3 free blocks, but as i stated earlier, 22 blocks is safer as it lets the mobs jump. Spiders have lower health, they take like 16 blocks only to make 1 hit.

Ah ok, I thougth they would die with 23 height, gonna test this when I am home by jumping into my mob hole. :)

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Ah ok, I thougth they would die with 23 height, gonna test this when I am home by jumping into my mob hole. :)

hehe cool, was kinda surprised at the results of my tests, according to the math 23 blocks should be fatal to all but perhaps zombies(not incl witches and endermen ofc).

Interestingly the enderman farm I usually build in vanilla uses a 43 block drop, which should also kill endermen acc to the hp maths, there is a strange quirk in the drops for sure.