Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
I got some Efficiency Runes from a reward bag but I heard they've been phased out so I'm guessing they don't actually work?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I'm 90% sure that we are in an old enough version that they still function.

*researches* looks like newest versions they can't be crafted, and might not even exist. So as you have a set, and can craft more, yes, we are an old enough version in this map for it to work.

As a note, 4 efficiency runes reduces the loss speed to almost 0, letting you make anything with even the slowest income of lifepoints.

How many LP are needed to make the chicken spawn egg from the arrows?

How many LP can get get from one chicken, at the most?

I'm not sure this can actually be a net positive.
making the spawn eggs is free (just 9 arrows in crafting grid last I checked), if you have any kind of mob farm you will be swimming in arrows

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
After the version 3 update it's 100 LP to craft a feather from 3 arrows in the blood alchemy's stand, and then 200 LP with a feather in the altar.

Speaking of updates, is pyrothium or nitor able to heat crucibles (not the magic ones, the clay ones) yet, and is it better or worse then fire on netherrack?
Blazing pyrotheum will heat crucibles the fastest. I don't think nitor will, however. The pyrotheum will however, set adjacent blocks on fire; I had mine under the crucibles, then stone surrounding the crucibles so that the top of the crucibles were flush with the floor. I had two rows of crucibles with fluiducts down the center pulling lava from them. The fluiducts seemed to prevent the center row of blocks (keeping the pyrotheum contained) from catching fire.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Chicken make little sense as sacrifices. Too few HP. Maybe good as a supplemental resource, but probably not worth the effort even then.

Meanwhile, I've discovered that you can make a Nether Star from a block of quartz with 400000 LP in a blood altar. Should be quite doable with a Well of Suffering and sufficient spawns. Yay, no more fighting the Wither for the final altar upgrade!

One more question: what is the most efficient source for dirt production, in terms of compostable plant matter output per tile of farming space? I've finally finished almost all other quests that need mass production of plant matter and can now concentrate on dirt production. What should I use in my MFR-fertilized farms? Wheat appears to have a good output, but is it better than tree saplings? Jungle trees give you compostable vines but there appear to be fewer trees per space than if I use oak. Hmm....probably potatoes, right? I always have too many of those.

Reactions: LostBMe

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
Blazing pyrotheum will heat crucibles the fastest. I don't think nitor will, however. The pyrotheum will however, set adjacent blocks on fire; I had mine under the crucibles, then stone surrounding the crucibles so that the top of the crucibles were flush with the floor. I had two rows of crucibles with fluiducts down the center pulling lava from them. The fluiducts seemed to prevent the center row of blocks (keeping the pyrotheum contained) from catching fire.
Or you can use covers all around. Covers don't seem to light up on fire - if experience from Crash Landing holds up here.

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
Supposedly though, they (microblocks) can contribute to lag. Not sure what kind of machine he's on, but I running this on an ok laptop and I try run a minimal setup so the game is still playable. I can't get above low 20s for FPS, so A LOT of this pack is super-grindy because I can't really scale up the automation the way I see a lot of people do. To be honest, I'm starting to get a little burnt out on it, but it's been fun learning to use the various mods; prior to this I just played vanilla.

Reactions: LostBMe

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
So, is anybody familiar with the mechanics behind getting a sinister node to cough up a furious zombie?

Should I be close, within 5 blocks, or far, more then 10? More then 20? 24? 36?
Not a clue but if you are doing it for the brains just set up a spawn room in the Magical forest biome. Along with an auto killer of your choice, this can get you mana beans by killing the peches.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
Supposedly though, they (microblocks) can contribute to lag. Not sure what kind of machine he's on, but I running this on an ok laptop and I try run a minimal setup so the game is still playable. I can't get above low 20s for FPS, so A LOT of this pack is super-grindy because I can't really scale up the automation the way I see a lot of people do. To be honest, I'm starting to get a little burnt out on it, but it's been fun learning to use the various mods; prior to this I just played vanilla.
I can sympathize. Until I got a new pc recently, I was doing the 20 fps thing:D And yes, it does get a bit grindy, which is why it's nice to take a break from it from time to time. So far as covers though, it wouldn't take a lot of them,really. Just a few around the area that catches fire so maybe it wouldn't be so bad?

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
I can sympathize. Until I got a new pc recently, I was doing the 20 fps thing:D And yes, it does get a bit grindy, which is why it's nice to take a break from it from time to time. So far as covers though, it wouldn't take a lot of them,really. Just a few around the area that catches fire so maybe it wouldn't be so bad?
Yeah, a couple here and there shouldn't hurt too much. I've used some of them in places and don't think it's caused a noticeable difference, but since I found out they can be an issue, I've tried to limit how much I use them just as a habit. I'd like to use the microblocks more, because they're handy, but I'm afraid of making something look really cool and then have to take it apart because I'm down to 10 SPF.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Two planters, two harvesters, 1 Oak sapling to start. Lots of pipes. Upgrade to taste.

First harvester set normal. Output saplings into the first planter. First planter "not consume stack" and with all but 1 square of the input filled with cobble. Down the line a little is the second planter, far enough away that trees grown on it will never touch the first plot. This planter is likewise almost full of cobble and "not consume stack. Extra saplings continue on. Second harvester placed as to only harvest the second plot. This one is set to sheer leaves. These leaves, overflow saplings and all the apples, compost into dirt.
I wish I'd read that before I started up with potatoes. Now I don't want to switch. Potatoes are efficient enough - at full speed I'm running 48 oak barrels constantly from a combined wheat/potato setup on two 19x19 farms - but now I have String problems. I already got 60 sheep distributed on 6 5x5 patches of grass, a spider spawner and a mobtrap with four 8x8 spawning areas, and I still don't get enough string to make enough fertilizer to keep my farms supplied.

I have several options to solve this problem and I'm wondering which is more efficient:

(1) Build more sheep farms for ranching. The limit here appears to be the rate at which grass grows back. Atm I'm using 10 sheep per 5x5 area of grass. Any higher and there's a risk of all the grass being eaten before it can grow back. As it is, about half of the blocks are grass at any given time. Is there anything I can do to make grass regrow faster?

(2) Build sheep spawners and kill the sheep for the wool. This would probably be the fastest method using up the least space, but I don't have enough mob essence income to run more than three auto-spawners, and two of them are constantly occupied with other tasks.

(3) Extend my mob farm with an extra layer using a Cursed Earth spawning area. I got an inactive Division Sigil as a quest reward, so I could do this now. My existing mobtrap uses Mariculture water geysers to push the mobs into the grinding area. That's pretty efficient and I could do the same with the Cursed Earth layer. I wonder if the return on investment will be worth it, though. I primarily need spiders... On the other hand, I'll also get more mob essence which will let me run more spawners...

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Why not make a specialized spider farm if you need just them with their strings?
(1) I'd need auto-spawners for that, and I only have enough mob essence income for one more. Spiders need a 3x3x2 space to spawn naturally, which means everything else except Endermen could naturally spawn instead.
(2) If I use auto-spawners, it's more efficient to use sheep since they give you one wool = 2-4 string apiece if run through a Pulverizer. Power is not an issue, I have a 20KRF reactor which is currently running at about 10% of its capacity.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
(1) I'd need auto-spawners for that, and I only have enough mob essence income for one more. Spiders need a 3x3x2 space to spawn naturally, which means everything else except Endermen could naturally spawn instead.
(2) If I use auto-spawners, it's more efficient to use sheep since they give you one wool = 2-4 string apiece if run through a Pulverizer. Power is not an issue, I have a 20KRF reactor which is currently running at about 10% of its capacity.
you can set inverted halfslabs on the ceiling, spiders need 3x3x1 with a non solid block above

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
So, having never used bees before, I did some research and came across a link to GenerikB's BEEcademy series which is so far, proving pretty handy.

The 4th episode in, he talks about automating the apiaries, but he uses Buildcraft pipes, which are not included in Agrarian Skies. What's the best way to add this type of automation using the TE ducts? Will I just need to use a bunch of pneumatic servos and get creative with whitelisting? Would you just set it to use the Ore Dictionary and ignore metadata and NBT data?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
So, having never used bees before, I did some research and came across a link to GenerikB's BEEcademy series which is so far, proving pretty handy.

The 4th episode in, he talks about automating the apiaries, but he uses Buildcraft pipes, which are not included in Agrarian Skies. What's the best way to add this type of automation using the TE ducts? Will I just need to use a bunch of pneumatic servos and get creative with whitelisting? Would you just set it to use the Ore Dictionary and ignore metadata and NBT data?
I would use Gendustry's Industrial Apiaries instead of the Forestry ones. The problem with bee automation is that you need to check for NBT data (bee species and genetic traits are stored there), which TE ducts can't, so you need specialized equipment for automation. You don't need to use Gendustry's OP features if you don't want to, just use the apiaries with simple automation upgrades, and then pump everything out with a duct. That will get you started until you know where you want to go with your breeding.

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
I would use Gendustry's Industrial Apiaries instead of the Forestry ones. The problem with bee automation is that you need to check for NBT data (bee species and genetic traits are stored there), which TE ducts can't, so you need specialized equipment for automation. You don't need to use Gendustry's OP features if you don't want to, just use the apiaries with simple automation upgrades, and then pump everything out with a duct. That will get you started until you know where you want to go with your breeding.
Don't they (TE Ducts) do it with servos

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Don't they (TE Ducts) do it with servos
Hmm....they actually may. That doesn't solve the problem though: if you use NBT data for sorting, then sorted bees will have their complete genome checked against the one you used to configure the servo. Basically, the only meaningful sorting you can do is separating princesses, queens and drones.