Advanced Solar Panels vs Compact Solars

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced solars recipes don't make any sense at all, I rather have a line of basic solars and when i get 8 I update it to 1 LV and continue till I get HV.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I pefer advanced solars, and prefer the hard recipes - the things kick out 512eu in a single block, the recipes should be hard. That said I can 1-click craft them now due to the awesomeness of AE.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I was of the opinion that people didn't like ASP because the recipes were too easy compared to the lack of maintenance they require, and the lack of space they take up.

I'm actually not of this opinion, as I think that the recipe is probably right around where it should be, but it surprises me to see people that think they're actually too hard.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced Solar Panels, simply because it feels more correct and technological than just gluing 8 solar panels together with super transformer glue. The energy generation at night is just a bonus.
if you want solar panels use the RP2 one, they are the "closest " to reality.
IRL a solar panel can produce 1 kWh/m²/day . Best of the market solar panels can produce 2. in comparison we consume 37kwh per day per person (US figures).
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.USE.ELEC.KH.PC
it means to have a good energy supply for all activities (let's say that macerating ores is equivalent to using your car :) ) you need a bunch of solar panels. Exactly the concept of RP2.

this is why i think an ultimate hybrid is very far from the concept of solar energy. Unless you move to Mercury :)
I understand where you're going, but please keep in mind that Compact Solar Panels was created exactly to prevent that. Something about how the game (and servers) are happier when there's something sending single packets of 512 units instead of 512 things sending packets of 1 unit.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Big solars DO prevent lag, but I think, that solars must take a lot of space. That would be pretty fair and "balanced"
If that huge bunch of solars lags, it should be a big multi-block structure. Just tiny and extremely powerful "free" generator bugs me a bit... So, that's why I don't plan to use solars for EU generation ^_^'

BTW, Factorization solar power is a nice concept

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
And Factorization solar power is now even better since it makes steam which can be piped to the engines of other mods :D

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer Compact Solars. They were designed to combat lag from constant solar spam on servers(e-net updates cause lag, and more packets means more updates, even though painting your wires could prevent most of the lag). I see Advanced Solars as a needless show of one-up-men-ship because it was designed to do something similar(provide more EU from solar panels) in a all around less balanced way.(used to be insanely cheap, now it's insanely expensive, provides power even under bad conditions, has energy storage way beyond the needs of a bloody solar panel so that it can stockpile energy during low energy usage periods and output it faster then it gathers it when it is needed, need I continue?)

But again, just my opinion. And besides, I like Compact Solars for another reason; they look pretty sweet with the transformer blending near the bottom, where as Advanced Solars look, well, rather boring.

I know I could use texture packs, but I get enough lag with x16 textures, thank you very much. Bloody forge for 1.4.7 being really laggy.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer Compact for one reason - I had a working HV array factory which has stopped working due to switching to Advanced!

Advanced are far harder to automate production of, as uranium is (barring bees) a non-renewable resource.

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer Compact for one reason - I had a working HV array factory which has stopped working due to switching to Advanced!

Advanced are far harder to automate production of, as uranium is (barring bees) a non-renewable resource.
I know

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced. No offence to Compact, but I do feel like stuffing 585 cubic metres of circuitry and silicon into 1 cubic metre seems a little odd.

Again, no offence to Compact. It's a lovely mod.

And, with Gregtech, those things are just plain expensive. As are Advanced, but Compact solars are definitely more expensive.