Advanced Solar Panels vs Compact Solars

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
So I've never seen this topic brought up, but which do you prefer. Advanced Solars, or Compacts Solars, and why. I need to know which is the right one to use, and what do most people prefer.

THIS IS NOT A FLAME/TROLL THREAD!!!

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Neither. They are both pretty lame in my opinion. Neither are close to realism. They are very expensive for what they do, but once you get them they give you maintenance free energy forever. But if you must have solars look at the recipes and decide which one you like. Or experiment with both of them in a test world.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Neither. They are both pretty lame in my opinion. Neither are close to realism. They are very expensive for what they do, but once you get them they give you maintenance free energy forever. But if you must have solars look at the recipes and decide which one you like. Or experiment with both of them in a test world.

It'd be funny if there was an option to accumulate dirt on the solars so you gotta go out and clean them every so often (or at least have a turtle do it).

Reactions: Whovian

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
I like the solar idea, or parts that wear out that have to be replaced from time to time might be better. Don't get me started on OP turtles. I would like to see them require fuel for all their actions, not just moving, and I would like to see their tools wear out, perhaps at a slower rate then manual mining, but still not lasting forever.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
How could you say that? Turtles should last forever and ever and ever and ever and ever... (5 years later, CC still hasn't made the change to tool durability) and ever and ever. Done!

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
Try mine out when it comes out :D
But I prefer ASP because it's not just repeating the SAME recipe over and over. And if I remember Compact solars requires a CRAP ton of iron.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
It really just depends on which one you like. In the end, they provide the same functionality.
I prefer asp do to less monotony. I rather like how the asp solars 'downgrade' in less than ideal conditions (tier one emits the energy of a normal solar during rain/night and on up).

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
So I should use Advanced Solars?
You should do whatever you like.
A lot of people on these threads ask what the original poster should use. I say do whatever you think is best.
I can't tell you what is going to be the best (and that's the great thing about Minecraft, especially modded minecraft, is that you can customize it)
But imo asp is better and more realistic (out of the two neither is realistic :p) but hey it's MC

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
It really just depends on which one you like. In the end, they provide the same functionality.
I prefer asp do to less monotony. I rather like how the asp solars 'downgrade' in less than ideal conditions (tier one emits the energy of a normal solar during rain/night and on up).

You realize you contradicted yourself there, right?:)

They do have a functional difference. At night or in the rain, compact solars do nothing. Advanced solars however still produce 1/8 their normal power.

Also, advanced solars have internal buffers which further negate the night/rain issue.

tatopolos

Jul 29, 2019
if you want solar panels use the RP2 one, they are the "closest " to reality.
IRL a solar panel can produce 1 kWh/m²/day . Best of the market solar panels can produce 2. in comparison we consume 37kwh per day per person (US figures).
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.USE.ELEC.KH.PC
it means to have a good energy supply for all activities (let's say that macerating ores is equivalent to using your car :) ) you need a bunch of solar panels. Exactly the concept of RP2.

this is why i think an ultimate hybrid is very far from the concept of solar energy. Unless you move to Mercury :)

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I use Advanced Panels.

The difficulty in making them justifies their usage for me. If they were any easier to make, it wouldn't sit well with me.

And I could rant allll day about how increases in technology increase the efficiency of any machine, be it the computers that have been doubling in space efficiency like every 2-3 years, or things like solar energy... but that's reality. That doesn't apply to FTB.

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Try mine out when it comes out :D
But I prefer ASP because it's not just repeating the SAME recipe over and over. And if I remember Compact solars requires a CRAP ton of iron.

5193 iron ingots, or just slightly more than 9 stacks of iron blocks.

Compared to 64 (65 now) iridium ingots. If you're already generating decent UUmatter, the advanced is clearly easier to make as well as being a better block. If you're not, arrays might be the only option.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Well I managed to scrounge enough resources to make an LV compact solar, so I'm going with that for now. And by the time I get UU matter (necessary for Advanced solars) production going I probably won't be using solars at all so it won't matter.

Reactions: Chocorate

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Well I managed to scrounge enough resources to make an LV compact solar, so I'm going with that for now. And by the time I get UU matter (necessary for Advanced solars) production going I probably won't be using solars at all so it won't matter.
I'll only ever use ASPs after we get the new version that has the config file.. Guess the author made a boo-boo when it came to balancing things. :p